How is Your Love

Dreamscapes

Sehun actually blushed, the pink rising in his cheeks. Namjoo grinned and tried not to laugh out loud. What was with him?

“Sit. I’ll bring out the food.” Letting go of him Namjoo went inside. She warmed up specific foods and placed the bowls on the table to bring out.

They could eat on the lounge table. Delivering the food from the circular table to the outside table Namjoo joined him.

“The landlady’s son brought the food this morning,” Namjoo explained when he eyed the delicacies questionably.

Obviously, he already knew she could not cook.

“Oh…well,” he sounded relieved. She gave him a look. “I was just going to say, it looked like something Miss Han would make.”

Digging in, Namjoo said, “Her dishes are more catered to the upper-class tongue.”

“You’re not from the upper class?” Sehun frowned.

“Upper-middle,” Namjoo corrected. “My parents would be referred to as aristocratic.”

Throwing another chunk of braised chicken into Namjoo chewed busily. Peering at the bowl nearest to her she pushed it toward him.

When he gave her an inquiring look, she said, “This one’s the best.”

A fast smile grew on his face pleased. She watched him pop a piece into his mouth. Seeing him nod in agreement made happiness flutter in her chest.

“About him,” Sehun started, “how much do you owe?”

“I’ll take care of it.” Namjoo insisted. “Consider it a fee for my freedom.” Intentionally eyeing him, she prodded, “Why?”

His face grew pink all over again and he avoided her eyes. “I…I don’t like it.” His brows furrowed together. “It keeps him in your life.”

The corner of stretched upward slyly. Why couldn’t he just be upfront about it? It was funny witnessing him struggle to keep his bearings confidently in front of her. She wasn’t even anyone great he needed to fear.

Leaning forward she peeked into his face. “But he’s not here, is he?”

His eyes cut toward her then away. Grinning Namjoo leaned back. Swinging her observation toward the outer buildings she inhaled the fresh air.

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Namjoo got prettier each day. Sehun’s heart kicked up unhealthily every time he saw her for lunch, at the bus stop, and the other times they decided to spend together. At the park once she had jogged after him and clung onto his hand, teasing, “Don’t you want to hold my hand?” and handed him a dandelion she had stopped to pluck.

Only several days had passed since they became a couple. Sehun still couldn’t believe it. Namjoo agreeing to come to him. Even initiating first contact because he was too cowardly. He wasn’t even 100% sure if Namjoo liked him; if she was doing this to pass time or dating him to completely erase Jineol.

He liked her. The attraction spurred through him every time he was near her. Sometimes he wanted to sweep her off her feet and kiss her mad until her legs went weak and they went down together. But, of course, he could hardly act that far.

Namjoo was still fresh from divorce. She didn’t show any hint of regret. Sehun had no idea whether a brush of pain ever scorched her heart. The atrocious things Jineol had done to her had been extreme.

Sehun didn’t want her to think of him anymore. He honestly didn’t like that Namjoo was paying a debt to Jineol. He was willing to give back the money Jineol had given him just so the two would never have anything to do with each other again.

Jineol didn’t matter but Jineol could still come.

Namjoo hadn’t just shared a marriage with him for a tiny amount of time. They’d spent years together. And that really disturbed Sehun now.

It was Thursday. He was in the parking lot watching for the doors. Namjoo was finishing her session with her anonymous group. He was insanely proud of what she was doing for herself. His heart hurt whenever he recalled sitting with her in the ER after her overdose. Namjoo wounded and so weak.

If he saw Jineol again he would never forgive him for what he made her go through.

A smile whispered across his lips when the doors burst open and out came Namjoo. The glow of her eyes searched the parking lot before recognizing his car. He waved from the driver’s seat and unlocked the doors for her.

“How long have you been waiting?” Namjoo perked up clicking in her seatbelt.

Jutting a thumb back, Sehun replied, “I went shopping.”

Leaning over the seat she saw bags of grocery. Back into her chair she cheekily sneered at him, “You’re going to cook?

“It’ll be good. Promise.”

Namjoo helped him carry the bags up to his place. The first thing she did was observe the condo. Stepping into the room she exclaimed, “You changed it!”

He smirked, pleased with her reaction. It had taken a great amount of strength to push his 8-seater toward the window, rearrange his flat screen and table stand.

“You like it?” Sehun wondered.

Climbing onto the couch on her knees, Namjoo peered outside. Enjoying the skylight view. The entire ocean of a sky stretching over the city. Sehun was urged to go over and join her, wrap an arm around her, share the moment, but he was too shy. Next time for sure.

Giddily racing toward him, Namjoo propped her arms onto the counter, “So, what are you making tonight?”

“Silk tofu soup.”

“That’s it?”

Patting a bag next to him, he assured, “Meat too.”

“Do you know I like meat?” Namjoo asked. “It’s my favorite.”

“I noticed there was always a plate of it back at that house.” Sehun said then wished he hadn’t mentioned Jineol’s manor.

Namjoo didn’t even notice. Resting her cheek into her palm, she asked, “Should I take a cooking class?”

“Why?”

“I can learn.”

“If you want.”

“Then I should,” Namjoo said, “so you won’t have to all the time.”

His eyes flickered toward her. “I like cooking for you.”

split into a wide smile enlightening him. His heart automatically raced. It was effortless the things she did that excited him. Why was it like this?

“Unless I’m that bad,” he muttered in a quiet voice.

“No, I like it.” A giggle sounded in . “Your cooking, I mean.”

Sehun boasted a grin he couldn’t control. He was freaking happy. Refocusing on transferring the shredded beef into the boiling pot, he asked, “Then what about me?”

Gaze flittering to her quickly he bit his lower lip, anxious. Was he handsome? Was she attracted to him? She’d always left him alone at the backhouse without saying anything. The infant memory jarred him whenever he brought it up.

But he was her significant other right now. He should matter. Namjoo should see him in a different light. If she didn’t like him, would she have kissed him on the rooftop?

“You’re cute.” Her cheeks grew high as she giggled.

That was all he got. It was unfair. Sehun tried not to pout over it as he dished out the food and they sat to share a late dinner.

Honestly, he had wanted more; a clearer answer. That was just like Namjoo, playing around. She must enjoy teasing him. Making a joke out of the way he felt for her. His face could go red right now and she’d probably want to laugh about it.

There was no reason to get upset he reminded himself. It had only been several days of dating. Sehun just wanted to be good to her. Later down the road when Namjoo tasted more of his sincerity she would tell him she liked him much.

The imagery was fulfilling. He couldn’t wait for it.

“What?” Namjoo asked.

“Huh?” She was staring at him from across the table.

“You’re thinking about something. I see a laugh on your face.” She accused.

“No. Nothing.” He denied.

“If it’s something funny…”

“Of course not.” He insisted baffled.

She suspiciously narrowed an eye. “Then you’re washing dishes?”

His mouth immediately opened, surprised. “But I cooked.”

“I’m kidding. I’ll help you.” She giggled.

Sehun ended up starting on the dishes while Namjoo cleared the table. He couldn’t complain because he actually didn’t mind. If he wanted to get annoyed maybe in the future he would when they had gotten closer. Right now, he was merely happy she was spending the evening with him. It was special that she was here with him.

Rolling up the sleeves of her blouse she joined him at the sink. Grabbing a soapy dish from his side of the sink to rinse. Sehun was pretty damn certain she had never done such chore in her life previously until now. Living alone and fending for herself. He kind of wished she could come over every day. He would cook for her, so she needn’t burn her hands; do anything alone.

Stealing a glance, he thought, once more, that he was lucky. If Jineol never gave her up now wouldn’t be happening. He was truly blessed. He’d forgotten how it was to be this happy.

Impulsively giving her a peck on the cheek he hurriedly withdrew, heart bumping like a mallet hitting his chest. He didn’t wait when Namjoo turned and dove in again to kiss her. The movement of her lips propelled him to pull her closer, but then Namjoo’s wet hand smacked his cheek. Withdrawing stunned he listened to her laughing.

Flicking water into his face Namjoo first escaped. Sehun blinked lost at first then made chase. Catching Namjoo halfway in the suite room. Laughter continued to shake through her like she was having the joy of her lifetime. The joy traveled through him and then Namjoo whirled around in his arms; the smile still splayed on her face.

She was mad beautiful. Electric bolts rushed through him. The gratefulness of her being alive after all that had happened. Merely looking at her was eye-blinding. Sehun wanted to walk through spring with her, sweat through the summer heat as they erected another garden, and tended to it together. Walk to the melody of birds and buzzing bumblebees holding her hand. When autumn passed and winter came, he would still walk with her through the seasons.

Forget everything sad, his love for her would be greater. Far and wide, and greater.

Namjoo kissed him first this time. Softly and tenderly. His hands slid from around her to cling onto her waist, holding her as he leaned further down to meet . When they withdrew for a breath Namjoo’s cheeks were a faint pink. Her fingers fondled his arms but went no further.

“You’re handsome and you’re funny. You’re too nice. I like that about you.” His mouth parted eagerly, but she had more to say. “Don’t like me too much.” His heart was about to plunge into his stomach until, “Wait for me to like you more.”

He blinked. Caught off guard. He couldn’t believe it. It felt like she had reached right into his chest and wrapped her small hand around his beating heart. Bliss caressed his entire body.

“Can you,” he softly breathed, “kiss me again?”

Her smile was so pretty it touched every part of his heart and mind. Linking an arm around his neck she leaned further up to kiss him. More sweetly this time.

That night he went to bed rolling around the mattress giddily. They had kissed so deeply until they lost their breaths. He could still hear Namjoo’s embarrassed laughter as she held onto him and buried her face into his shirt, the roof of her head bumping against his chin.

Seeing her embarrassed made it even more real. Clenching the blanket, he yanked it over his head.

They had kissed. Really kissed. Not just two mouths touching, but they had seriously kissed like lovers would.

He laughed loudly into the blanket and continued rolling around again. He would never forget today.

Escaping work early the following afternoon, he hurried over to the library. Deciding to wait outside for Namjoo, because he didn’t want to interrupt her. He wanted to respect her work hours, which weren’t meant for her private life. Once her shift ended, he could have her to himself.

Sehun waited patiently. People watching. No one minding him. And then he heard the hurried bouncing of footsteps approaching. Turning he and Namjoo noticed each other at once. His throat tightened and his heart did that thing again. Stepping off the staircase Namjoo remained a foot away, her eyes shyly elsewhere.

Sehun bit his lower lip. Unable to conjure the courage he needed to approach her first. Anxiously peering in her direction, he caught her doing the same. Their eyes flashed away the coming second.

He felt like such a fool. He wasn’t a young boy. What the hell. in all the bravado possible he walked over. Putting on a cool front, “You’re done with work?”

Duh. Stupid question.

“Uh…yea.” Namjoo mumbled. “Should we go?”

She shuffled past without waiting to go together, so he jogged to catch up. If they got this awkward after a passionate kiss, imagine what other things could occur in the future? Sehun stretched his fingers out bravely. No thoughts. Just act. Snatching her hand, he interlaced their fingers.

They were already dating. They needed to get comfortable with each other. Sehun really wanted an honest relationship with her. Get intimate with her in the future, whatever it may bring.

Some day they could make love and not just have . When they were closer. When the timing was right and Namjoo was willing. They could go down that path and enjoy each other’s presence ultimately.

Someday…

“Do you want to go to the restaurant?” Sehun asked.

She looked up at him bearing a bashful smile. “I’d like that.”

Approaching the bus stop they waited in line. Holding hands. Namjoo didn’t have to look at her phone this time. They stood, arms brushing, close together. When the bus arrived, they headed inside and looked for a seat in the back to sit privately. Along the ride they shared a gleeful silence. Clutching hands on his lap the entire time. And when no one was looking they shared a quick peck followed by laughter.

That weekend Namjoo said she would stop to grab some grocery, so she’d leave the keys in the mailbox for him. They had planned to spend the afternoon cooking at her studio and eat outside to bask in the warm weather. Maybe afterward they could lie down and stare up at the sky. Decide what shapes the clouds were today or something.

Sehun was looking forward to it. It was supposed to be romantic. Their time.

Arriving at the gate Sehun opened the mailbox and dug inside for the keys mentioned. The bolt unlocked with a clang and he went inside. Namjoo would call when she arrived. Merrily skipping up the stairs he planned what else they could do later.

A walk? Holding hands? They could rent a movie, but Namjoo didn’t have a player. Maybe they could go to his place where there was internet. Just enjoy the rest of the afternoon on his couch staring out the window. Last time Namjoo seemed to like that. They could even have a cooking competition and destroy his kitchen.

Sehun chuckled at the thought. Nearing the top of the stairs he caught the sound of something rustling. Plastic covering? He couldn’t make out the distinct noise. Sounded like thin paper being crumpled up. But Namjoo wasn’t home…

Sehun wondered if it was the landlady’s son upstairs. Decreasing his pace, he continued up slowly. Debated whether to call Namjoo or not. Perhaps she had tricked him and was already home?

Continuing on, Sehun climbed the last of the steps and shifted to face the front door. There was no one standing in front of it. A blur of color moved from the corner of his eye, so he shifted coming face to face with Suh Jineol rising to his feet, a bouquet of flowers in his hands.