Reminisce

Dreamscapes

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Namjoo ate. Begrudgingly it seemed. He stayed until she ate a good amount then he excused himself to return to work. Putting back on the goggles and face mask he picked up his equipment to continue where he left off. The lawn was 2-acres and he’d barely covered a quarter under the beating sun. So much work, so little time. The pests were relentless and he was afraid if any more beetles entered the manor, he’d be dead meat.

Passing the window to the master bedroom, Sehun couldn’t help but peek up. No one stood by the windowsill staring outside. He expected the lunch leftover for dinner. It sounded like Namjoo to do that to him.

Walking away he resumed his task.

Early evening he was full of sweat and stunk like chemical. Unable to stand the filth he had become he returned to his temp house for a long shower, scrubbing his body relentlessly. Someone was knocking on his door by the time he finally stepped out of the shower. He wasn’t even dressed yet.

Cracking the door open he stuck his head out, “Wait a second!”

The pounding continued. Rolling his eyes, he ended up tossing the towel meant to dry himself to the floor, yanked his clothes off the sink counter, and slipped into them with difficulty. Hurrying to the door he released the lock and opened it to find Miss Han on the other side.

“What?” he panted.

If the elder woman was surprised to discover him in his dewy state, she didn’t show it. “Dinner is ready.”

He was tempted to say tell the madam to eat by herself, but since he’d started it, he needed to go through with it or else every other lunch day would be null. Dumb him had already quoted her husband to her face.

Miss Han didn’t wait for his answer before leaving him to get a head start toward the manor, leaving him to debate following immediately or grabbing his towel to dry off a little more. Flustered, Sehun ended up going after her.

Namjoo’s gaze was unnervingly flat when he walked toward the dining table. She sat leaning back into her chair, arms crossed. Just like the owner of the house she was. Timing him, probably.

Narrowing an eye at his wet hair, Namjoo distastefully asked, “Are you serious?”

Sehun wiped a hand against his neck to dry the dew drops from his wet hair. His clothes stuck to his body like glue. He realized a little late he looked inappropriate. A housekeeper placing food on the table gave him a side glance, but said nothing.

“I felt dirty. Sorry.” He explained.

Her eyes crossed annoyed. “Then you didn’t need to come.”

Now it was his turn to be irritated. Yes, he’d thought exactly the same he wanted to spout. He went with, “Then why did you call for me?”

Her face pinched back. She glowered because he was right. Ignoring him she started filling up her plate. Sehun scoffed because she was so ridiculous.

Quietly digging in Sehun stuck a spoonful into his mouth. Compared to sharing a meal with Namjoo’s husband eating with just her was all right. Although tended to be foul, the tension didn’t make his stomach flip and flop.

“This weekend, spend the entire day with Yena.” Namjoo broke the silence. “I’ll give you the entire day off and a little bonus pay.”

Sehun glanced up from his plate. Holding back his sigh he dropped his attention to his plate, stirring the remnants around.

“I don’t want to go.” Sehun muttered his complaint like a child though his initial reaction when Jineol gave him the news was, “What?”

“Yena needs a driver this weekend,” Jineol had explained early morning. “She asked for a favor, so Saturday morning report to her residence. You remember where it is?” Patting his back as if he’d already agreed, Jineol happily grinned, “I’m relying on you.”

He was forced to look up when Namjoo didn’t sympathize. She stared at him unmoved. He took that as her no; he didn’t have a freaking choice but to serve Jineol’s side chick.

“What’s so hard with going on a date?” Namjoo questioned.

“The problem might be that it’s not a date.” Sehun blatantly shot. “And I don’t need your bribe.”

She scoffed. “My bribe?”

“Isn’t that what it is?” he asked offended.

Clicking her tongue, she dropped her hands from her plate and crossed her arms. So she was finally going to put on the big boss act to intimidate him. Like hell it would work on him.

“Fine,” Namjoo surrendered. “It’s a bribe, but you should take it while I’m giving it.”

“Not from you.” Sehun’s eyes turned into tinier slits as he ate another generous spoonful and chewed with more force.

“Then forget it.” Namjoo said clearly irked. The spoon clicked against her tongue when she shoved food into .

“Enjoy your lone lunch this weekend.” Emptying his plate, Sehun shoved his chair back and walked away.

But as he stepped out of the backhouse that Saturday morning he wondered if Jineol had stayed long enough for breakfast or had he departed immediately? The husband’s car was already missing from the garage. One glance at his watch and he wondered if Namjoo was relieved he’d be with Yena instead of her husband.

If she was happy would she avoid those pills and her liquor?

Driving across town he parked in front of Yena’s two-story standard home barred from the regular public by tall iron gates. He waited in the car for the young woman who energetically skipped out of her house in a mid-length dress. Taking not the backseat like Jineol but the front passenger seat.

“Sorry, did you wait long?” she asked. She smelled of heavy floral perfume. Was dressed too prettily for a regular outing on a mall trip.

“No.” he flatly replied gunning the engine and merged into blooming traffic.

“So,” she perked up, “how was your week? I noticed that you don’t drive Jineol to work anymore.”

“No.” he said.

“Then, what do you do at the house?” Yena twisted in her seat to look at him. Two pearly eyes focused intently on him.

“Is there a specific place you need to visit today?” Sehun avoided her question.

Smiling amused, Yena directed him down the road to a very familiar shopping outlet he’d visited prior with Namjoo. The business was packed. Sehun drove around the lanes until he discovered a spot halfway from the front entrance.

Parking, he said, “I can wait for you here.”

“Shouldn’t you come with me?” Yena asked. “I would feel safer if you were with me.”

Sehun opened his mouth to say she could go alone, but also realized if something did happen Jineol wouldn’t let him off. Unbuckling his seatbelt, he pushed the door open and they joined the heavy crowd inside. Suddenly Yena was all smiles. Eyes widening as she glued herself to his side. Sehun moved his arm when she grasped onto it and took two strides ahead.

To his feat she caught up to his side persistently. Grabbing his arm, she said, “I want to go over there.”

She pulled him into a wardrobe store. It was too late when he yanked his arm free. The store greeter was already welcoming them. Unable to back out Sehun followed Yena through the aisles. Excitedly rummaging through the racks until she discovered something to her liking.

Pressing it against her body she turned to him for opinion, “Do you think this will look good on me?”

Sehun didn’t take a look as he passed, “The color makes your face look dark.”

“But I like it. I’m going to try it on.” The click-clacks of Yena’s heels chased after him. Touching his arm, she said, “Wait for me.” then raced ahead of him peering over her shoulder happily.

Sehun sighed when she went into the dressing room. Pacing back and forth during the five minutes it took her to change. He wanted to leave, not play boyfriend. Twisting his wrist, he looked at his watch then up when the dressing room door clicked open.

Yena’s smile was so wide it was clearly obvious she expected this to be some kind of date. She was beaming glee. Everything exuding from her told him she wanted to impress today. Enrapture a male with her beauty the way a girl did when she had feelings for someone. If Yena’s outfit of the day wasn’t enough of a message already Sehun might be a .

“Then get it.” Sehun coldly said. Turning to go he said, “I’ll wait for you outside.”

Huffing a breath outside the store Sehun stared into the busy crowd. He smelled food from the food court a hallway down. Glancing at his watch again he saw they’d been here for a good hour already. There were a hundred more stores to go if Yena was aiming to spend a good portion of the day here. Jineol’s board meeting could run for hours into the late afternoon.

What about lunch?

A bag rustled when Yena bumped into him. Touching his sleeve, she said, “I’m done.” She led him away from the food court deeper into the mall.

He’d worn a suit today. Assuming he should look decent outside and not ruin Jineol’s reputation by escorting his mistress around. Sehun kind of wished he would have dressed down. Yena might not want to touch him then.

“Look at that!” Yena squealed when they passed a lingerie shop with mannequins in the display window dressed in the bare minimum. “Isn’t that pretty?!”

“I don’t think this is suitable for you.” Sehun said. “It’s late. We should go.”

Yena bounced after him. Somehow still upbeat. Sticking at his side she peered up at him, “Then, what is suitable for me? Do you want to show me?”

Sehun narrowly looked at her. Smiling the minimum, “Maybe when you’re older.”

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Jineol had abandoned her halfway through breakfast. He had so quickly filled himself with a bowl of soup then excused himself. Saying, “I’ll be late.” as he stood gulping down his glass of water. “Have a good day. I’ll let you know if I can’t make it for dinner.”

Namjoo forfeited the rest of breakfast. She wasn’t in the mood. Strolling outside she walked toward her garden of flowers. Well-tended and cared for. Honeybees gathered around hovering over different petals.

Contrary to her expectations, Sehun was doing a surprisingly good job keeping the garden in full bloom. Her flowers looked strong and healthy.

Twining her hands at her back, she tilted her head back to feel the sun’s warmth on her face. The peace was calming. Aware that she was the only one home made the difference. There was no one to war with. No one to get into her space. She didn’t have to get irritated for no particular reason.

For a long time, it felt like she hadn’t enjoyed this kind of tranquil air. She had lived alone as a university student. Renting a one-person apartment. Her parents had expected so much out of her that all she’d done in her youth was study, working hard for good grades in order to escape their controlling clutches.

She had always dreamed of chasing a future full of flight and happiness. Then she’d met Jineol and fell head first in love. She’d fallen into the clutch of his life instead. Having dismissed how nice it was just to be by herself.

Today she remembered it and she loved it.

Lowering her head, she reopened her eyes. Blinking to ward off the sting of the sun’s brightness. Rubbing her temple upon sensing a headache. Giving up, Namjoo returned into the house. Sitting at the edge of the bed she pulled out the vanity drawer and pulled out her pill bottle.

The tablets rattled inside. Opening the lid Namjoo peered inside. She was already depleting the drugs. If she took them sparingly there would be enough for Monday. Considering Jineol might be home all day tomorrow Namjoo couldn’t take them in his presence. Maybe one if her stomach acted up but most likely she would be fine.

Pouring three into her palm Namjoo ate them dry and lay down. Closing her eyes to feel the familiar euphoria ease through her. Namjoo sighed happily. Numb to all her troubles.

An hour later the feelings dispelled and Namjoo woke up groggy. Shuffling into the kitchen she searched for a glass of water. Turning when Miss Han walked up to her.

“Would you like the table set for lunch?”

Glass still to her lips, Namjoo’s eyes darted toward the dining table.

“Fine.” She said.

Nodding, Miss Han left. Chugging the rest of the water Namjoo breezed past the dining table. Heading outside she went through the tool shed for a pair of gloves and clippers. Walking over to the flower garden Namjoo knelt into the grass and started snipping away overgrown leaves making space for young ones.

Mid-afternoon her back was doused with sweat. The top of her head felt like it was burning immensely from the sunlight. Now that the weather had gotten humid the heat was almost unbearable.

She thought Sehun was crazy for stubbornly working in his jeans. In just a dress it already felt like tough work. Before the accident Namjoo had comfortably dressed in shorts when tending to the garden. Since her leg was scarred, she hated the sight of it. She didn’t want anyone looking at it or making comments. Jineol’s mother thought it unsightly for a woman to wear pants, so Namjoo had kept to her dresses to shut the woman up.

Wiping sweat from her forehead Namjoo pushed to her feet and pulled the gloves off. Forget it. That’s all she was going to do today. The garden was too large for her to tend to by herself.

Returning the tools to the shed Namjoo started back to the house. By the front doors the scent of food flowed her way. She smelled bay leaves and soup. The aroma made her stomach grumble. Though she usually did without lunch Namjoo’s appetite was being roused today. Maybe because of the yard work or that she’d actually spent time outdoors.

On good days like these when the weather was decent, she used to go running. But that was when she was younger. Reminiscing it made her think about all the good times she had sacrificed for marriage with Jineol.

Despite her parents’ high-to expectations of her, Namjoo’s life had never been below average. She had had a plush bedroom. Expensive clothes. Money on hand. Her parents had supported her in whatever decision she’d made. She had had extravagant backyard birthday parties.

Her life had been celebrated until after she got married. Like the car crash life had exploded in many directions.

The birth control medicine Jineol had her take during their relationship made her hormones go haywire. Conceiving a child with him was as hard as passing the bar exam. with him had began to feel more like a chore than enjoyment for them, so they had stopped. Then she had the car crash that nearly took her leg. Her emotions had spiraled at the speed of a roller coaster.

When the doctor relayed she wasn’t pregnant after the first false alarm, her father went bankrupt and secretly begged to borrow Jineol’s money from her. Too ashamed to plead his son-in-law instead, Namjoo had given him access to Jineol’s account with a daughter’s good heart. Only her father took more than he should have and the controversy went out of control once Jineol’s grandmother found out.

At exactly that point her mother wanted to spring up a cloth shop at the suggestion of a supposed friend. Namjoo lent her money, but the woman always needed more.

And now Jineol was having a change of heart.

Maybe the stress from every circumstance had plundered their relationship. He had turned away to seek momentary happiness like the way she turned to her pills for relief. They weren’t really not in love. They were just having a hard time.

Things like that could also exist for long periods of time.

That could be possible, too.

Namjoo stared out at the open garage where only her vehicle remain. For years she hadn’t driven it. Not even for a five-minute cruise around the city.

“I don’t want her driving,” Jineol’s father had told him in front of her.

The key to the car sat in her drawer unused for two years now. Every button of control on her life had been disabled. As if to punish those that had wronged her, she had started subconsciously destroying herself. Maybe at the end they would get the message that: Look, this is what you did to me.

But Namjoo knew better.

The way Jineol didn’t even know about the pills. The way he stayed clueless to her knowledge about his cheating. Just like how she understood avoiding her family would lead to less stress.

Yet despite that, she still somehow wanted to stay because a percent of her didn’t want to let go. Believing Jineol, somewhere inside him, the man who had proposed to her on the beach still loved her.

“Madam,” Miss Han approached her from behind. “Lunch is ready.”

Namjoo peered back to the open garage. The lone vehicle blinked back. A sore to the eye.

She thought about the way Sehun had blown her off during dinner the other day. As if mocking her.

“I don’t want it.” She swept past and shut the door behind her in the master room.