Cold Days

Dreamscapes

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

Obviously, the madam was displeased. The distinct way her eyes turned stern said they would finish this tomorrow. Gruffly pivoting she stomped back into the house with attitude.

“Don’t mind her. She’s not feeling well.” Jineol neverminded her. “Come, I had the driver prepare the backhouse for you. It’s not far from the house.”

Sehun turned to follow him. Darkness shaded them the entire way. The only source of light came from the full moon, a pearlescent gleam. Up ahead one triangle shaped building huddled underneath the swooning branches of a lazy oak. The low tiled roof drooped over the sidings. In daylight it might resemble a remote cabin in the middle of nowhere.

“All the utilities you need are here.” Jineol led the way into the home, an entire open space. Kitchen on the left. A queen bed shoved up against the wall in front of him. A weary one-man recliner to his right where an ancient retro 13” television occupied the corner. There was no telling whether it still worked at all.

“It’s fine.” Sehun said. On the bright side, the place had been dusted and no apparent spiderwebs clung from the ceiling. The pale walls as clean as a baby’s skin. The most interesting aspect of the cabin was the wooden paneled ceiling overhead. Tiny lanterns hang from each side of the wall lighting his new home in a soft glow. An extra wiring device allowed him to adjust the lighting to his liking.

Sehun strangely felt like he’d been dropped into a wildlife sanctuary. His home surrounded by luscious nature, foliage, and creeping deer prepared to bolt at any noise. Far away from civilization he was left to fare for himself. But truly there was no wildlife outside. Just a huge oak scraping against the roof of the backhouse. Yards of grass and nothing more. And his fridge was very empty.

“Your belongings…” Jineol’s brow rose with a pause.

“They’ll arrive here tomorrow.”

Sehun had been standing in front of the gates earlier. Almost sending the chauffeur into a heart attack when he’d opened the gates. A nod and explanation about his identity and he was let in. On his way past the vehicle he’d seen the woman in the backseat. Her face masked in darkness but the stereo light allowed Sehun a peek of her young face. Assuming she was his new boss’ wife he had continued down the winding driveway.

Before this, he’d only met Jineol once. This morning when the man’s manager introduced them. From first impression, Suh Jineol was handsome, slick, and confident. Got right into conversation with him as if they were childhood friends.

Palming his hands together, he gladly said, “Good news then. I hear you’re not from here.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Well, that’s fine. Welcome to the city.” Jineol gave him a friendly pat. “The manager already issued your application, so you’re all good to start tomorrow. Rest. In the morning you can take a look around the manor and familiarize yourself with the outside grounds. Chauffer Lim will hand you tasks the day after tomorrow; show you things to do to keep your time.”

“Yes, thanks.”

Once the door closed Sehun was finally alone. Dimming the lights, he dropped onto the bed. It was stiff as a box. He twisted and turned. Crossed his arms when he finally decided on an area of the bed.

In the morning he woke up to the assault of dusty sunshine. The light right outside his window signaled the start of his first day. Rising he staggered into the bathroom. A stall for the porcelain shower took a big quarter of the space. In front of him the sink. The toilet cramped in between.

There was a knock on the door when he washed up. Shaking the moisture from his fringe he tried drying his face with the back of his sleeve. No towel had been available. It was really on him to stock up. Not even a bottle of antibacterial hand soap had been offered.

So much for a million-dollar estate. He hoped his first check was coming in fast.

On the other side stood the chauffeur he’d met last night. Up close and in daylight he was an ordinary man whose bald lines needed urgent treatment. Must be in his early fifties due to the obvious sagging underneath his eyes, the graying hair, and deep lines encroaching his face. Youth wasn’t very fond of him but he was tall and lean.  

“The Master wants to invite you to breakfast.”

Sehun’s brow inched up.

“Come.” The elder man led the way. “You can refer to me as Driver Lim. I’ve served this family for well over twenty years.”

“That’s,” Sehun didn’t know how to continue, “loyalty.”

The walk to the manor felt even shorter than last night. What was called the backhouse should really be changed to side house.

“Don’t get involved in the family affairs,” Driver Lim advised. “You’re just here to do your job.”

The front door was a golden-brown polish. The Maison doorknob a sure luxurious enhancement to the 13-acre quarter brick yellow pine manor. The garden flourished with colorful flowers, spruces, and rose bushes that traveled all around the house. Blooming under the care of tender maintenance. A 3-piece white bistro set completed the stunning garden.

From where he stood only the side garden was in view.

“They’re waiting for you.” Driver Lim’s voice floated toward him. The old man was holding the door open. Sehun entered into a marbled foyer. High above he saw a portrait of the family. Wife standing behind husband, hand propped onto his shoulder stoically.

So loving he thought. In fact, their faces were stiff with rim rod smiles. Interesting.

Crossing the foyer, he followed the sound of voices, which led him into the dining room. A rectangular table with enough chairs for eight people came into view. Sehun immediately recognized Jineol at the head of the table. Already dressed for the day in an ironed button-up and matching pants. Various delicacies littered across the table.

It was the madam who first noted him. Her eyes narrowed, brows tightening.

“What are you doing in here?” she demanded irate.

There was an air about her. Her impassive nature made her hard to cross unlike her easygoing husband.

“I invited him,” Jineol assured. Looking at him, “Come sit.” As he headed toward the table, Jineol looked at his wife, “We should be welcoming. He just started. There’s nothing in the backhouse for him yet, let’s be kind. Hmm?”

The madam grimaced when he pulled out the seat across from her. It was the only dividend due to the unfortunate fact that Jineol sat at the head of the table. Sehun met with the madam’s displeased stare.

“Are you sure you can trust him?” she glanced at her husband then eyed him suspiciously.

“He’s as reliable as Driver Lim,” her husband guaranteed. Looking ahead, he nodded and waved his hand.

A familiar woman from yesterday appeared and gently settled a plate following a spoon and fork in front of him.

“I know you don’t have anything in your fridge at the backhouse,” Jineol was kind to explain, “eat with us today. I’ve deposited some cash into your bank this morning. You can go to the mart later to buy supplies. Namjoo also needs to do some restocking, too. You can drive her.”

“What? No,” Namjoo immediately refused. “How am I supposed to trust him?”

“He’s your driver today,” Jineol stated. “Driver Lim will have to go with me today. You know father doesn’t like you going on your own.”

Her eyes hardened. Sehun had barely taken a bite of the entrée on the table and he already felt the cold washing over him.

“He will take you.” Jineol repeated sternly, his strict tone signaling the end of their bout. His entire expression flummoxed and he was like Sehun’s childhood friend again when he shifted attention to him. “Go ahead and make yourself feel at home.”

This banter was supposed to make him feel at home?

Funny.

“You still can’t just invite anyone in here.” Namjoo scolded. Subtly eyeing Sehun. “I don’t like just anyone in my house.”

“We’re done with the conversation.” Jineol turned to her. “Let’s not complicate things this morning.” He already sounded tired of her. His voice resigned softly, maybe pretentiously. “I have to attend a board meeting today. I’ll be home late.”

Something icy glazed over the madam’s eyes. Her lips went firm almost coyly. “Of course, you do. Take all the time in the world.”

Jineol took just five bites without noticing. She stared at him the entire time with flattened eyes. Quickly pulling an adoring smile on when he leaned over to kiss her on the cheek. “I’ll try to be home early.”

It was scary how Namjoo kept smiling lovingly, but the moment Jineol turned his back her eyes iced over again. Lids narrowing, lips straightening. Her posture went entirely angrily stiff.

“Miss Han.” She called. “I’m done.” Scooting her chair back, she rose and stared down at him. “Let him have the rest.”

“Yes, madam.” The housekeeper bowed. Her head was nearly parallel to the floor.

When her eyes landed on him, she directed, “Have the car ready at noon.” Then she stalked off.

Don’t get involved. Don’t question. Sehun remembered Driver Lim’s advice. Returning to breakfast, Sehun picked up his spoon. Good riddance he thought. Now that the head of the house was finally gone, he could eat in peace.

A set of keys jingled beside him. He turned to see Miss Han placing them beside his plate. “You’ll need it to go in and out of the gates. The Madam wants the gate locked, always. You’ll find the key to the car. Clean it before you take the Madam out. You don’t want to lose your job on your first day.”

Sehun eyed a rectangular black remote. The other a gray. Then the single silver key.

“Don’t lose it. This is the only copy they’ll have available for you.” Miss Han’s voice was a bit hush as if cautious about being overheard.

Nodding, Sehun grabbed the keys and tucked it into his pocket. After breakfast he went back outside in search of the car. A maroon Lexus – LS 500 Inspiration Series. The interior black leather and a sophisticated system that automatically monitors the seasonal temperature adjusting the ventilator system as well as front and rear seats. The best of it was the panoramic glass roof, the worst; it was an automatic car. Sehun had never driven an automatic car before. Would the function be any different from a manual?

Unlocking the car, he peeked inside. The scent of vanilla made him wrinkle his nose. That was not his preferred scent. He had imagined the raw smell of leather or pine. Sliding into the driver’s seat he adjusted it to his liking. Running his hands over the leather steering wheel. Whistling amazed.

Of course, for a top-class family only the most expensive models would complement their needs. A scan over the dashboard presented not a hint of dust. The windows were pearly clear. Sunlight hit him dead on. Pulling out the dashboard cupboard revealed car insurance and the car manual, nothing interesting.

What cleaning was he supposed to do?

Stepping back out Sehun rounded the car. Rubbing his chin. The vapor chrome finish wheels looked new as . Perhaps Driver Lim had prepared everything for him before taking the boss to his job.

Sehun lingered around the open style garage. Four spots were available. He spotted sports cars in the other two spots. One of them a hot red Acura NSX. The other the latest model of a silver Audi TT.

The Suh family was really built on money. Sehun had no idea a mere Head Department guy could earn so much. Interesting.

Checking his watch revealed three more hours to go. Now what?

Turning around he saw the wind the flowers behind him. Fine, he thought. He’d go see this garden he was supposed to be taking care of. The fresh smell of sweet pollen assaulted him when he stepped into the garden. Surrounded by flowers of all shapes and sizes. Petals star shaped to long drooping green vines. It was an interesting assortment.

Running his hands over the tips gently he watched honey bees buzz nearby. Avoiding them he turned toward the bistro table at the center of the garden. A good choice for the seating arrangement. It must be nice to sit outside with a cup of tea as the soft breeze whisked past on warm days when the sun was in agreement. Watching the grass roll out into the beyond toward the border on the other side.

The house was gigantic, but all he’d seen so far was the gorgeous garden. Nothing else. A depressing sight. What did the people do here? Especially the madam if all she did was stay home all day? What a life to live.

Deciding that since no one was in sight it would be harmless to sit down. The iron chair was uncomfortable as heck. Rich people and their choices. Whoever chose the bistro seating hadn’t thought about comfort.

Mentally drawing out a list of supplies he’d need Sehun spent the coming hours struggling not to fall asleep. Yawning he walked around the yard and returned to the car. Whatever, it was too hot. He wanted to listen to some music. Getting in he started the engine and started tweaking the radio searching for a channel of his choice. Finally landing on something interesting, he leaned back into the seat. Reclining it a bit as he closed his eyes.

His momentary peace was disrupted by the sudden knock on the tinted window. On the other side he recognized the madam.

“What are you doing?” she interrogated with crossed arms when he stepped out.

Sehun twisted his wrist and glanced at the watch. “I was waiting for you.”

If the gaze in her eyes could turn any meaner she might require surgery to fix that face. Sehun held his thoughts at bay.

“What are you waiting for?” Namjoo spat. “Don’t just look at me. Open the door.”

“Oh, right.” He began rounding the car to the passenger side.

“The back door!” she yelled. The entire time spent glaring at him. Huffing when he pulled the back door open, she stalked over.

The wind billowed against her flowy dress and he thought if she was nicer, she’d be prettier. Her eyes drew down to his hand and grimaced when she finally noticed the tattoo low on his arm. A red rose trapped inside a glass vase. Tiny green vines swirled around it with little blue flowers popping randomly along it.

“Are you in a gang?” she frowned.

“No.” he replied.

She shot him a look of suspicion before sliding into the car. Finally. Closing the door, he shuffled around the car.

“Turn the noise down,” she blasted. “The car isn’t for you to enjoy your lowly antics.” Punching the stereo off he heard her mumble, “Gosh, what a headache.”

The entire drive she stared out the window, arms crossed. At least her brows ceased burrowing deep into her eyes deepening her menacing stare. A peek into the rearview mirror and she looked serene, almost ethereal. The drive calming her like a restless baby.

When they arrived at the mart Namjoo waited like a princess for him to open the back door for her, as if she wasn’t capable of doing it herself. Reaching into her leather purse she slipped on black shades.

“You have half an hour to look around,” Namjoo explained. “I’ll be waiting for you at the front doors and expect you to be there pronto.”

She didn’t wait for him to answer before strutting off while he debated answering “Yes, ma’am” or “Yes, madam” or asking what she preferred to be called.

Firmly pressing his lips together with an exasperated raise of the brows, he followed her in. Namjoo was already far down the aisle, blending into the afternoon shoppers. He watched her turn into the alcohol racks as he grabbed a basket.

New to the store he wandered around for shampoo, body wash, a razor, and foods. If he wanted new clothes, he’d have to go to another store another day in his own time. He was already running low on time.

By the time he checked out and paid, Namjoo was waiting by the front doors with a bag in her hand. In it, a bunch of wine paper bags. Her alcoholic beverages. Stock up her husband had said. He wondered if Jineol knew.

“You’re late.” Was the first two words she said spitefully.

“Sorry, I didn’t know my way around.” Sehun said.

“I’m not asking for your excuse.” Her brows dipped disappearing behind her sunglasses. Stepping toward the door she stalked out vehemently. Sighing, Sehun held back his frustration.

She was waiting by the back door, arms crossed impatiently when he approached the vehicle. Just like the princess she was. The day was only halfway and he already knew he didn’t like her. Please, he prayed, let Jineol take him tomorrow.

“Do you have nothing decent to wear?” Namjoo asked. He imagined behind her dark sunglasses she was glancing at his outfit disgusted.

“My luggage didn’t arrive yet.” Sehun told.

She heaved a sigh tired of him. “Are you going to open the door?”

Without saying anything he did as told. Huffing she slid inside with a shake of the head. Closing the door after her he heaved an even louder sigh. Stuffing his bags inside the trunk he started the car and drove her back to the manor.

The least she could do was say thank you, but Sehun got none of that. Namjoo immediately walked off with her heavy bag. He heard the glass beverages tinkling against each other as she walked toward the front door.

The rest of her day wouldn’t be his business.

Thank god.


***well, that's their first impression of each other. Namjoo doesn't trust and looks down on him. He hardly likes her and think she's spoiled af. Wait till we learn more about Namjoo's household and her marriage + why Sehun moved to the city