Misery in My Wake

Dreamscapes

Several steps outside after finishing his meal, Sehun glanced back at the stunning cedar home. He had come here not knowing what to expect. Assuming he’d be working for a well-to-do man and his lovely family. All his duties would include chauffeuring the family around. Sehun never imagined he’d be gardening, glued with various tasks, and chauffeuring. Unexpectedly witnessing the drama of the family unfold or how Namjoo and Jineol proved his perspective of the rich correct. Nevertheless, learn that the people living here were still humans with problems like he and the rest of the civilization.

Jineol with his affairs he so cluelessly claimed was a secret from Namjoo. She, who put on a façade but was truly weak and disheartened. They were a family of dismantled blocks shattering from its base after an earthquake.

Truly a mess.

Sehun could only see an ugly ending for them. Namjoo would never be happy or die pretending she was.

He felt sorry for her, but he thought she was the most human here. Withstanding so much pain yet still dreaming of a happily ever after. In comparison to he who’d given it all up when he went to prison, Namjoo was much more ambitious. He could never cling onto something as hopeless as her. Love and happiness.  

It was a rarity for him to ever have a full meal. Today his stomach was bulging. Lunch had been pleasant, different from all other days.

Namjoo hadn’t thrown a fit or talked much at all. Yet she seemed to be in a good mood like she had discovered a peace within herself. Maybe it was the laughter brightening a corner of her chipped world.

A tiny smile cradled his lips glad to see her like that. If all days treated her this good Namjoo would remember why it was a blessing to be alive.

That next morning, he was up before the knock on his door. It was Driver Lim announcing Jineol wanted him for breakfast.

The duo was in their usual spots when Sehun walked through the foyer to be met with Jineol’s too wide grin. Greeting him in the friendliest manner; a wave of the hand and a loud, “Good morning! Come eat with us.”

A glance at Namjoo and he saw her unmoving, her expression placid as if they hadn’t gotten along at all. Pulling the chair across from her out, Sehun sat.

“So, tell me, how’s work been?” Jineol asked. “Nothing’s been too hard?”

“No, sir,” Sehun promptly replied partially wondering if Jineol was implying if Namjoo was making it difficult. Well yes, she was a difficult person, but nothing Sehun didn’t think he couldn’t handle. She was randomly kindhearted too.

He could still hear her laughing in his head and taste the brush of her fingers curling over his hands as they fought over the hose.

“That’s good, that’s good.” Jineol smiled so hard his clean white teeth gleamed behind his pink lips. A housekeeper dropped off the last entrée and he invited, “Eat, eat. Today’s menu is delicious and healthy.”

Sehun nodded curious what was up. Namjoo still hadn’t said a word, so he wondered if they’d fought some time during the early morning. Maybe Jineol never came home at all?

His eyes wavered in her direction, but Jineol spoke cutting him off. “Driver Lim is driving me to work today, but if you have time around noon come to the company. Yena has an important seminar to attend and will need a driver.”

“It’s not possible,” Namjoo immediately interjected.

Jineol shot her a quick look. “What are you talking about?”

Her brows furrowed forming a glare, “I said he can’t.”

Gasping somewhat, Jineol argued, “I promised Yena he would do it. I already gave my word, don’t make me take it back.”

“Darling,” Namjoo called with a hint of mockery, “you’re always so generous, but no one’s going to give you a standing ovation. Just give her money for a cab.”

“You know public drivers aren’t trustworthy.” Jineol grounded his teeth. Turning on him, Jineol spoke softer as if a puppy’s head, “Her appointment is at 12:30 exact.”

“He is my driver.” Namjoo pushed.

Jineol gave her a fiery impatient look. “I’m not talking to you.”

The man’s eyes waited on him expectantly. Sehun could feel the heat of Namjoo’s anger over the mention of Yena. Jineol was his boss. He didn’t want to decline his request and it was true that he had nothing important going on today. He could sense Namjoo’s disappointment because she could do nothing, and that troubled him.

Would she take her pills to escape her rage, her pain today? Or drain an entire bottle of alcohol in her fit of anger? Was today going to be the day she overdosed?

Shoveling food down his throat Jineol stood before Sehun even picked up his spoon. Patting him on the shoulder Jineol said, “Thanks.” then exited the house calling for the driver.

It was distasteful the way Jineol dismissed Namjoo so fast like she was a rat. His insides boiled that Jineol had married a woman to treat her like this. Sehun lifted his head to say he didn’t plan to go, but Namjoo spoke first.

“Go,” she said. A mix of bitterness and gloom underlay her voice. Standing she said before walking away, “Just know they’re going to use you.” She took a step then paused then added sharply, “Oh, and ask for a bonus.”

He really did prefer to hear her laughing. He felt more stabbed by her savagery than expected.

Retreating to the backhouse he cooked himself a bowl of noodles and ate standing at his tiny counter, flipping over and over his only options. Throwing out the depleted noodle bowl Sehun grabbed his cap and walked out. The door closed with a thwack after him. No less than two steps forward he paused when he spotted a figure hovering over the thick rose bushes growing against the side of the house.

Sehun recognized the straw hat at once. An abnormal power of enlightenment traveled over him propelling his legs to move. Walking up to Namjoo he saw her clipping off dead leaves and gently brush a gloved hand over a dark pink rose.

“There’s a spider.” He said.

The brim of her hat cut against his shoulder when she turned frowning then searched the bush for said insect. “There’s no spider.”

Sehun pointed toward the pruning shear. “Right there.”

Silence as Namjoo zeroed in on the spindly legged very tan spider. The shriek made his ears ring as Namjoo stumbled backwards letting go of the clipping tool. Slapping the back of her hand hand into his chest she continued wildly screaming, falling backwards as she crawled away panicked.

Sehun groaned rubbing his injury.

“There’s a spider!” Namjoo shouted the obvious fact.

“Yea, it’s gone.” He grunted feeling the throbbing pain in his chest.

“You’re sure?” Namjoo asked distrustfully.

Stepping past her to pick up the tool, Sehun searched the bush by prying the shear around. “It’s gone.”

Placing a hand atop her hat she looked at him with a tiny tilt of the head. Blinking once, twice, and then laughed. He scoffed.

Swiping grass off her dress when she stood Namjoo snatched the shear from him. “Move.”

He stepped aside to give her space and watched her resume her task like nothing happened. “You’re scared of a spider when you have a whole garden.”

“Are you having fun?” She held up the shear.

Broadly grinning, Sehun held up his hands in surrender. “Of course not.”

Namjoo gave him one last threatening glare then returned to work. Sehun touched a thriving rose in front of him. The petal was soft and fragile, warm from the sun. The various pink shades soon to be red popped out among the thousand green leaves. Once clipped they would wilt after several days depending on the care.

He thought Namjoo probably waited every year for the roses to come into full bloom. Patiently counting down winter days to spring and summer. Staying throughout the cold until it was warm enough to witness her efforts become beautiful.

Sehun peeked at her wondering if Jineol’s words still weighed her mind. Perhaps she was accustomed to his coldness now, but that didn’t mean it couldn’t cause a dent.

“I won’t be going.” Sehun rubbed a thumb gently over a rose petal. “It’s too hot. I’m going to need to water the grass and the garden again. It could take a lot of time.”

Receiving nothing in turn, he took another peek of her. Her stern expression had relaxed. Though he knew her threat earlier was harmless he couldn’t help wondering whether she thought he might betray her.

Namjoo quietly stayed outside with him caring for her rose bushes and then tending to the flowers. The hours quickly passed before the roar of an engine disrupted their hard work. Their heads lifted and turned toward the garage where Jineol’s vehicle smoothly slid in. Namjoo perked up at the dimmest of voices and rose from where she was kneeling.

Wind billowed past as Yena followed Jineol toward the house. Jineol gave them one terse glance then disappeared inside. The cub contrarily smiled mischievously before going after Jineol.

“Madam,” Driver Lim greeted crossing the grass toward them.

“Seems the day already flew by,” Namjoo crossly remarked. “Visiting for lunch?”

“Yes, Madam.” Driver Lim nodded.

She scoffed sourly. He caught her biting her lip before tossing her gloves to the ground then marched off. Sehun watched her vanish around the house discovering too late Driver Lim’s concentration on him. He nodded to the elder man.

“Have you been keeping the Madam company?” Driver Lim asked so straightforwardly Sehun almost lost his footing.

Getting to his feet, Sehun faced the other driver. They were nearly the same height, giving Sehun a look into the elder’s thin eyes. “Just doing my job.”

“Don’t get too smart.” Driver Lim lowered his voice. “Their family is not your business neither are they your friends.”

Sehun eased his palms out with a shrug, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

The driver narrowly observed him. Sehun innocently shared the stare. Breathing through his nose Driver Lim brushed past. Sehun didn’t turn to see where he went, but as he left his lips firmly pressed.

What was the old man’s deal? How many dirty secrets was he keeping for Jineol? Shifting around to confirm Driver Lim was no longer in sight, Sehun suddenly understood he was Jineol’s helper; aiding and abetting in Jineol’s affair with Yena.

Did that really mean no one here was loyal to Namjoo?

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

“Making yourself right at home, Yena.” Namjoo stated entering the foyer. She closed in on the dining table to find the young girl sitting across from her seat.

Hurriedly getting to her feet, Yena bowed. “I’m sorry I sat before you.”

“Sit down, Yena, don’t worry about her.” Jineol said.

Namjoo coolly glanced at Jineol as she moved around his seat making way toward hers. Finally sitting, Namjoo started, “I heard you have a seminar today, Yena, so what are you doing here?”

The young woman side glanced at Jineol as her shapely mouth opened. Instead, Jineol spoke for her, “I invited her for lunch. She had to miss her seminar because there was no car.”

He was blaming her.

“How old are you again, Yena?” Namjoo prompted.

“I’m twenty-five.”

“Ah…” Namjoo intentionally tilted her head back at the sound. “That makes you legal and an adult.”

“Namjoo.” Jineol growled in a low voice.

“Which means we’re responsible for ourselves,” Namjoo pointedly said and purposefully held Jineol’s eyes, “as my husband is for me and I him. Isn’t that right, honey?”

Darting his gaze away Jineol blew a breath. Namjoo pretentiously smiled at Yena.

“Yes.” Yena nodded her head, prompted to reply under Namjoo’s stare.

“Now that we got that over with,” Namjoo gave the food a onceover, “let’s eat, shall we?”

“Shouldn’t we,” Yena perked up, “invite the driver?”

“Driver Lim?” Namjoo asked full well aware exactly who she wanted, but she could play stupid.

“No,” Yena’s voice shrunk.

Jineol raised a hand for one of the housekeeper’s attention, aiming to fulfill the request of his lovely maiden.

Namjoo interrupted, “He’s busy with yard work. I want it done by evening, so leave him be.”

Jineol’s arm lowered partially. “What are you talking about?”

“He must be so tired.” Yena emphasized the worry in her tone.

Namjoo shot her a stare. “I said no.”

Jineol frowned at her cynically. “Why are you being so difficult?”

Fully focusing on Yena, Namjoo teased, “He’s my person.” Yena’s brow dipped. Satisfied, Namjoo shifted to Jineol, “Why are you being difficult?” Intentionally putting food on his plate, she coyly urged, “You must be starving from working so hard, honey. Eat.” Back to Yena, “You, too.”

Jineol wiped his lips with a napkin halfway through the meal. “Let me change and then I’ll give you a lift home.”

Her husband didn’t bother saying a kind word to her. Namjoo received an airy glance of utmost irritation as Jineol’s heavy steps brought him farther away from the women.

“Well, that was a nice meal.” Namjoo put down her utensils.

Doe eye Yena stared at her from across the table and rose, too. Picking up her hat Namjoo rounded the table barely passing Jineol’s tucked in chair when Yena approached her. Namjoo stopped in her tracks when Yena touched her lower arm. Those big, innocent eyes zeroed on her. Soon replaced by a snarky smile that inched across her coral lips. Suddenly she really looked sneaky like a venomous snake lunging at its oblivious prey with surprise.

A step into her personal cube and Namjoo caught a light whiff of Jineol’s beloved cologne. “Guess what?” her breath tickled Namjoo’s ear in a bad, ominous way. “I’m pregnant.”

The steely coy expression in Yena’s eyes as she withdrew caused acid to burn inside Namjoo’s stomach. Releasing her, Yena tromped off. Swaying her hips vivaciously.

At first the floor fell through and Namjoo’s entire being started disintegrating at the speed of light. Jineol’s grandmother’s words raced like a thousand speed roller coaster inside her head. The pure shock started burning slowly like coal. Forming a thin layer of smoke after flickering with heat and then covered in ashy color as a fire came to life. Burning intensely.

Her lower jaw trembled. An uncontrollable force swept over her. The back of her eyes heated as if the fire existed there. Namjoo took a heavy step forward, her feet weighing like tons. Another step and another created the momentum bringing her to speed. Speeding up Namjoo raced across the walkway, a whirlwind of despair and fury.

The whole universe was looking down on her acrimoniously. Namjoo was hanging off her last straw being everyone’s enmity.

The infuriation only rode her temper higher. Namjoo wasn’t a violent person. She had done no wrong but, in this moment, she was passionately intending to do that wrong.

She knocked into Yena with a scream, tackling her. The young woman flew as if by a whirlwind and landed on the grass yelping. Abandoning all her logic and hesitation Namjoo jumped her. Straddling her. Tugging her hair as if she was a dog, yanking and pulling. Screaming wild words she couldn’t even comprehend.

Yena cried out. Stretching out her arms scratching her neck, her face in defense. All which made Namjoo rip at her clothes even more fiercely. Her husband’s mistress kicked under her, but Namjoo gave her no leverage to get up and run. Into the arms of her husband? !

Grasping the collar of her shirt Namjoo shook her shrieking angrily. She felt no pain. She couldn’t hear the voices shouting at her.

A pair of strong arms slid through her arms and swept her off Yena who was baby sobbing, her hair tousled as crazy a mess around her face as Namjoo felt inside. One of her ears was bleeding. The torn earring lay at her feet.

Breathing heavily, Namjoo felt her world crumble when she saw Jineol’s arm around Yena’s shoulders. Hot tears welled in her eyes.

This wasn’t fair.

It wasn’t right.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this.

Face buried into the crook of Jineol’s shoulder, Yena cried sadly. The kind of cry that would make a man weak.

“What the is wrong with you?!” Jineol blasted. “You crazy ! Look at the state Yena is in! What were you thinking?!”

His chest deflated as he heaved, outraged. Petting Yena’s head he whispered affectionate words below hearing level to her. Wrapping his arms around her he lifted her off the grass and walked away screaming from the top of his lungs for Driver Lim, leaving in his wake a cold, cold trail.