The Plot

Dreamscapes

The next morning Sehun woke up late but he woke up cheerful. With his legs tangled around the blanket. Since it was hot, he’d moved around at night so much he wasn’t even laying on his pillow when he woke. He was in the middle of the bed taking up all the space possible.

Flipping onto his back he let go of a sigh and closed his eyes again. Energy flushed through him. Getting up he went into the bathroom to wash up and pulled on fresh clothes. The moment he walked out the door Jineol’s car swerved into the driveway, the brakes squealing mercy at the sharp turn. The vehicle bobbed to a stop and he climbed out clearly hotheaded.

Fume steamed off the top of his head, his face tight. Clearly with much displeasure that he was back home.

Sehun peered at the house worried. Namjoo was probably up already.

Would they argue?

Sehun jogged across the lawn to the front door. Poking his head inside just the minimum. Waiting to hear the raise of voices, yelling, and screaming. At the height of anger what was Jineol capable of? If Namjoo went berserk yesterday how far could Jineol go?

Nothing happened. No shouts. Not even the slam of a door.

Bolting away from the front Sehun rounded the house to the bedroom window. It was open, meaning Namjoo must have woken at some time to open it. She was awake, wasn’t she?

Sehun kept an eye on the opening. Silence. Too curious he returned to the front door. Wondering what his excuse he’d use if he entered the home. Luckily, he didn’t even have to muster anything, because Jineol was coming back his way. The man pulling on a new blazer over a fresh top.

“Driver Oh,” he said in greeting.

“Sir,” he nodded stepping back from the door.

Grinning, Jineol said, “I didn’t see you in the yard.”

“I started my day late. Sorry.” He nodded again.

“No worries.” Jineol’s hand landed smack on his shoulder. “You work too hard these days. Take it easy.”

Sehun smiled cursing behind it. How could the man be like this when his wife was nowhere to be seen? Wasn’t he worried? Shouldn’t he be asking about Namjoo?

Lowlife mothering .

But Sehun continued smiling as if he was a puppy wagging its tail, pleased to receive his boss’ kind words.

“My day is packed today unfortunately.” The man’s face filled with regret. “Yena is alone at the hospital and doesn’t like their food. I asked Miss Han to make chicken porridge. Bring that to her later.”

The smile dissipated. The urge to punch him in the face instead replaced the faked grin.

“I’m relying on you.” Jineol sincerely said. And he had the nerve to sadly smile as he walked away.

Frick it. Sehun went inside and looked around. The dining table wasn’t set. The housekeepers and the usual Miss Han always hovering around were missing.

“Hello?” Sehun called out in the middle of the foyer.

On cue footsteps shuffled and Sehun took a step into the foot of the dining room. The pear-shaped woman hurried through the kitchen from a closet door.

“Yes?” she asked.

Sehun blinked, appalled. He hadn’t really expected Miss Han to come at his beckoning. Also, he didn’t think he was someone she needed to answer to. They were both workers here.

“The madam,” Sehun muttered. “I was just wondering where she was.”

Wiping her hands on the clean white apron tied around her waist, she replied, “Still sleeping. She hasn’t woken up yet. I will have the soup prepared soon.”

“Oh…no, take your time.” Sehun assured. He wasn’t in a hurry to see Yena. He didn’t want to see her at all.

Miss Han exited the dining room but not before inspecting him carefully. Making his way down the hallway Sehun glanced at the door that led to the master bedroom. It was shut. No way to tell whether it was locked or not.

Namjoo had driven them back at pre-dawn. Then they had separated.

Making sure the coast was clear Sehun latched onto the doorknob and lightly turned it. It twisted easily. Pushing the door just the slightest he poked his head inside. In his immediate sight was Namjoo’s back. Her doll vanity situated next to her side of the bed. She was curled up again like a small kitten. Her hair bundling around her head and splayed across the half of her pillow.

Backing out he closed the door and walked out. Staring at the manor outside.

Hours later he was pulling into the hospital parking lot. A sturdy lunch box in the passenger seat. Next to it a thermos consisting of fresh chicken porridge. Packed tenderly by Miss Han.

Riding the elevator up to the sixth floor Sehun searched the corridor for door number 613. Jineol had sent him directions and everything he wished to convey through text.

The pale creamy door was closed. He hoped Yena was sleeping, so he could leave as quickly as he had come. Too bad she was wide awake when he opened the door. Propped up on the bed with two pillows at her back, she smiled sweetly behind her bruised face. During the scuffle with Namjoo she’d only got tiny cuts on her face. Most of the injury probably leaned toward her scalp from hair pulling.

Guess he was wrong about the equivalent damage caused.

Sehun caught sight of the white bandage taped over her lower earlobe. Embarrassed, Yena covered it with her long hair and it with a busy hand.

“You’re here?” She asked as if she’d been waiting.

“I brought soup.” Sehun set the lunchbox and thermos on the side table. “The boss is occupied with work and feels bad. He’ll stop by later in the evening.”

Yena him in with her eyes. “That’s sweet of you.”

“Then, I should go.” Sehun said blatantly ignoring her comment.

“Stay.” Yena pleaded. Sitting forward she extended a hand toward the available chair Jineol had probably sat on all night. “Sit and talk with me. I’m so bored.”

Sehun glanced at the IV cord inserted in her wrist. “There’s stuff I need to…”

Feigning pain, Yena wrapped a hand around her middle. “It hurts if I move too much. Can you pull the table over?”

Left with no option, Sehun wheeled the overbed table closer and set the food for her.

“The soup, too.” Yena eagerly said childishly. Sehun poured the porridge for her. She exclaimed, “Wow! It looks so delicious!” Beaming at him, “Thank you.”

“Sure.” Extending a hand out to the food he monotonously said, “Eat.”

“Will you sit with me?” Yena asked again.

Pulling the chair closer, Sehun sat down. As Yena began to eat he pulled out his phone to look occupied like he was playing with it.

“What are you doing?” Yena asked. “Can you talk to me at least?”

Sehun glanced up at her and put his phone face down on his lap. “Sure.”

Broadly smiling, Yena said, “Hey, you didn’t come for my seminar yesterday. I was really waiting for you.”

Duh.

“Oh,” he made a show of scratching the back of his head, “I had other stuff to do.”

“Like yard work?” she asked condescendingly. “That old lady doesn’t even care about her garden anymore. Why do you bother?”

“It’s something to do.” Sehun shrugged.

“My father fired two of our drivers,” Yena’s eyes widened. “You should come work for us. I would never make you get down and dirty in the grass like she does, and I would make sure my dad pays you three times more.” She grinned harder, shyly. “And,” her voice went up a notch in a girly fashion, “of course, I would treat you really well.”

“You would?”

“Of course!” Excitement burst in her eyes. “It would be so nice to have a handsome driver for once, and you know,” her eyes lowered then landed on him, “you’re so handsome.” Suddenly conscious, she touched her face, “Sorry, I’m not pretty today.”

“Don’t worry. You’re fine.”

Yena smiled, comforted, and pouted just as quick. “I didn’t know she had such brute strength. I had no idea what I did wrong. I didn’t deserve to be attacked like that, but I’m glad you came to my rescue.”

Actually, no. He’d stared wide-eyed, shocked. Only jumping into action when Jineol sprinted out of the house like a bolt of lightning maniacally shouting for him to remove Namjoo. Cue words, “Off my woman.”

“You’re just like a knight in shining armor.”

“You shouldn’t call me that.” Sehun gently said. “What will the boss think?”

“Ah…who cares about him?” Yena sighed, her shoulders dropping. “He thinks he has everything, but honestly, you’re a better looker. My father just likes him a lot, but I had an old boyfriend who was younger and better looking.” She corrected, panicked, “But you’re so much better.”

“I suppose.” Sehun said. “You think too highly of me.”

Yena’s eyes went pearly. “It’s the truth. I would definitely choose you instead.” She bit her lips timidly. “Really, I mean it.”

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

“You look famished,” Miss Han said. “There’s leftover chicken porridge, so I set it out along with breakfast.”

Seated at the table by herself, Namjoo observed the dishes. “Did Jineol come home?”

“He stayed shortly then left, Madam.” Miss Han backtracked two steps and formally clasped her hands in front of her.

Namjoo eyed the empty chair across from her. “Where’s Sehun?”

“Driver Oh left on an errand.” Madam Han answered.

“What errand?” Namjoo wondered. She hadn’t given him any order outside of the house.

“He went to drop off lunch for Miss Yena.” Miss Han lowered her head in a nod.

“Fine then.” Namjoo said. “Leave.”

Backing away Miss Han disappeared down a hallway. Namjoo took a few bites of her breakfast before her stomach quelled the food back up . Giving up breakfast, Namjoo went in search of the wine she hadn’t finished last night.

Wondering what in God’s name had gotten to her. Just bitter now that everyone had left her in favor of Yena.

Yena, Yena, Yena.

!

Stalking out of the house, Namjoo sat at the bistro table. A breeze swept over the flowers in her garden making them sway in one direction. Pouring herself a glass Namjoo dunked it down . Very quickly it filled the emptiness in her belly. She felt almost better instantly.

Today she would finish this whole bottle. Halfway through it she listened to the roar of an engine approach the house. She puffed a heated breath and hurriedly filled her glass again. Holding it to her lips. Through the corner of her eyes she saw Sehun approaching.

She shouldn’t be throwing a tantrum with him, but she was upset he had left her to go to Yena.

Yena, Yena, Yena!

Ignoring his presence, Namjoo focused on pouring herself another glass. A dirty frown emanated on her face when he stuck his phone out into her face. Uncontrollably glaring up at him, Namjoo tasted the verge of curses on her tongue.

“Do with it what you will.” Sehun vaguely said. Placing it on the table he walked away after sputtering such nonsense.

He became smaller in the distance. Plagued with undying curiosity Namjoo set aside her full glass of wine and stared at his black mobile phone. She looked around before snatching it and hurried into the house to discover what he was talking about in private.

At the edge of her bed she went through Sehun’s phone. Shockingly there were only the basics. A gallery containing nothing. In his contacts folder there was only two people: Jineol and Driver Lim. So, what the hell was she looking for?

If he couldn’t have been any more specific with her! Namjoo searched through every file and folder until she achingly pressed on the music folder. Only one file popped up. There was no name for it.

Clicking on it she listened.

No less than five minutes later she was banging on the backhouse door. Waiting impatiently for Sehun to open the crummy door.

“What is this?” she stuck the phone up into his face.

“You’re giving it back?” Sehun asked through thin lids. “Aren’t you smarter than that?”

Namjoo’s expression contorted, offended. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Use it to your advantage.” Sehun pointed out. The offense she had taken eased off her face.

“She has the hots for you. So?” Namjoo argued.

“Does he know that?” Sehun questioned. Namjoo’s mouth opened. Nothing came out. Her eyes fluttered suddenly flustered. “Don’t you know how to twist your own story? Do you know how guilty I feel for doing that? is as loose as your temper, so use it to your advantage. You know your husband’s weakness, don’t you? Then do something with it.”

At a loss for words, her attention flittered to the phone. After one stern look Sehun closed the door and she wondered if he really felt bad.

The rest of the day Namjoo paced the bedroom. Staring out the window focusing toward the direction of the backhouse. Nervous, unsure what to expect. If this was right. What was the use debating when she just wanted her husband back rightfully?

“Miss Han.” Namjoo called out when she stepped out in the evening. “Will you call Sehun for dinner?”

Sehun arrived in a timely manner when the dining table was being set. He approached the table politely then sat treating her more like employer than friend today. Supposing their relationship always went one way and another depending on the day, Namjoo didn’t say much.

“Will you stay until he comes home?” Namjoo asked.

Sehun glanced at her sensing the terse mood alleviating between them. He calmly said, “Ok.”

After dinner Namjoo waited in the sun room nearest the front entrance. Sehun hovered behind her without sitting. She constantly kept a tab on the time. Night had fallen. Outside the curtained window a full moon strongly shone. She didn’t know when Jineol would return. He hadn’t phoned her. No text. No message.

He was pissed off with her.

Dear Yena, she thought, you won’t have to wait too long.

Neither she nor Sehun shared a word as the time grew later. At the of one the door clicked open and Jineol appeared in the entryway.

“You’re home?” Namjoo broke the glassy silence. Her husband appeared stricken. His eyes fast to turn sharp with displeasure. “Come sit.”

“Why are you still up?” he questioned with an edge coming into the sun room. He took the orange wingback chair across from her.

Namjoo didn’t bother answering. Leaning forward she set Sehun’s mobile onto the tiny coffee table separating them.

“What are you up to?” Jineol frowned. Namjoo pressed play and Yena’s voice filled the void. Her husband’s eyes went round by the time the recording ended.

“You really believe Yena has eyes only for you?” Namjoo asked. “You’re as old as her youngest uncle, Jineol. If not for Driver Oh’s concern about your welfare, would you even know you’re being duped?”

“No!” Jineol flew to his feet. “This can’t be her!! Impossible!” disbelief broke his face but Namjoo placed an inch of doubt in his wavering eyes. “She would tell me! I know Yena!” Wheeling on her, “You’re doing this on purpose because you’re jealous!”

Namjoo harrumphed. “You are the only son of your family, Jineol.” Keeping her voice level and cool, she reminded, “Would I dare put a mark on your family’s honor like this?” she slightly raised her voice, “I am protecting you! From that little ! She’s prancing around you. Behind your back she’s been ogling how many men? How many of them have gone to her willingly? A pretty thing like Yena could easily win you over, what about the next young man? A one-night stand is nothing these days.” Rising to her feet, she an arm back at Sehun, “If not for Driver Oh’s loyalty, you would have been played! You’re just a pawn in Yena’s hands.”

“No…” the frown of uncertainty wound deeper on Jineol’s expression. Tightly staring at the ground he’d stopped pacing. “It can’t be.”

Comfortingly putting her hands on his arms, she stared up into his face. Speaking with measured affection, “I’m worried about you, Jineol. Your grandmother would be embarrassed. You would be giving her a heart attack.”

“I need to think.” He shrugged out of her hands and brushed past.

Apprehension coursed through her nervously. She worried what she’d said hadn’t been enough to affect Jineol’s feelings for Yena.

She really hadn’t thought this through.

Plastering the phone into Sehun’s hands she hurried off after her husband. He was restlessly pacing in their bedroom, running a hand through his hair as if trying to find an itch. Closing the door Namjoo approached cautiously.

“Are you ok?” Namjoo asked.

“No!” Jineol frustratedly belted. “I just saw her!” He was vexed but his eyes were starting to become disheartened. “She…” he struggled, “she always asked about him. The driver.”

Jineol’s posture slumped as if he’d been defeated. So easily? Namjoo wasn’t sure, but the wheels were turning in his head. About Yena possibly double-crossing him. She would use that to her advantage.

Wrapping her arms around him, Namjoo beckoned him closer. His arms slid around her in return and he buried his face into her shoulder. The was the first time they had gotten so intimate in ages. Namjoo’s heart quivered. She’d forgotten how his touch made her soft. She had missed it gravely.

Yes, come to me. It was all she could think about when Jineol withdrew. The frown lessening above his sad puppy eyes.

She loved him.

He was hers and all she ever wanted.

Melting in his gaze, Namjoo brushed her hand through his soft hair. The touch so familiar to her fingers. So much pent-up yearning rushed through her. Namjoo crushed to his.

They finally had for the first time in years.


***bang, bam, boom

***I wonder if that went too fast, but it fits the timeline for what I have planned perfectly