A Meal with Love

Of Crime and Passion: Two Moons (Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The smell of braised beef and mixed vegetables filled Byul's nostrils the moment she entered her ex-wife's apartment.

She missed this smell.

Back then, when they first started living together, Hyejin would always cook for her.

The meals they shared during the weekends were always the best.

Hyejin would start preparing what to cook from early in the morning, and make sure Byul was well fed during the day.

She was just that kind of wife.

Byul smiles at the memory and continues to take off her shoes.

Hyejin went straight to the kitchen and Byul took a moment to look at the living room, before following her.

The living room is spacious and is decorated simply with a sofa, a small table and a tv.

It looked so minimalistic, but still elegant and homey.

She was about to head into the kitchen when a picture frame on the side of the tv caught her eye.

And being the ever curious soul that she is, she went to see what the picture was.

She padded towards it and was surprised to see their picture, from a long time ago.

A soft smile graced Byul's face and she looks around to see if there are any more pictures displayed in the living room.

There's none.

Just that one picture.

She picks up the frame and glides her hand over the glass, reminiscing when that photograph was taken.

It was their first date.

And they went to Han river that day.

They had fun while eating ramen and ice cream and they both had tummy aches after.

She laughed out loud, absent-mindedly, as she remembered all the things they did that day and how happy they were.

Hyejin: I found that in one of the albums that I took with me. I thought it would be nice to display it, you know, a reminder of happier times.

Still clutching the photo frame, Byul turned around when she heard Hyejin's voice.

Hyejin was standing by the door to the kitchen, holding a pot in both her hands.

Byul: Oh, yeah.

Byul said quietly as she stared at the picture some more.

Hyejin: You wanna help me set the table?

Looking up with a smile, Byul nods.

Byul: Yes. I'd love to.

She immediately placed the picture back on its space and hurriedly went to the kitchen to get some plates and other things to set the table with.

When she got there, she was a little surprised at how Hyejin's kitchen sort of resembled their kitchen at home, only smaller.

The cabinets and fridge and all the other furnitures are a different color from their own house, but everything is placed exactly in the same spot. like their kitchen.

Knowing this, she immediately goes to a high cabinet with 4 doors, and opens the left-most door, thinking this is where the plates would be and she wasn't wrong.

She opened another drawer and guessed they would have forks and spoons and knives, again, not wrong, and she smiles.

She then opens the right-most door of the cabinet and knows that this would be where the glasses are stored, still not wrong and her smile grows bigger.

Hyejin: Having fun?

Byul: Oh, hmmm... maybe a little.

She says while holding the tableware in her hands.

Hyejin: Wow, you got everything without even asking where they are. Have you been casing my apartment?

Byul: What? No! But, it's not that hard. This looks like our kitchen, so I just naturally went to where you kept everything back home.

The look of surprise on Hyejin's face didn't escape Byul.

Hyejin: Huh? Oh. I never thought about it. It does look like our kitchen, huh?

Byul: You didn't have it designed this way?

Hyejin: Well, yeah but I wasn't thinking of our kitchen when I was designing this. I just wanted items in a specific place, not really thinking of making it look like our kitchen.

Somehow, Byul was both happy and disappointed when she heard that.

Byul: Oh. Must have just been force of habit, I guess.

Hyejin shrugged and smiled at her.

Hyejin: Yeah, I guess.

Byul finished setting the table and Hyejin placed the final bowl of food and they both sat down.

Byul: Wow! This looks so good! Smells great too! I don't even remember the last time I had a home cooked meal.

Byul says, admiring her ex-wife's handiwork and feeling just a tiny bit sad because she couldn't have this anymore.

They started eating quietly.

Hyejin c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter