Baby Steps

Of Crime and Passion: Two Moons (Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byul stood outside of Hyejin's door, with flowers on one hand and a paperbag of take out food on the other, waiting for her ex-wife to get home.

Earlier, she made a mad dash to the flower shop that Wina told her about to buy Hyejin some roses.

Well, initially she planned for roses but the nice lady there asked her what it was for and she blurted out that she wanted to get back into her wife's good graces because they've been fighting a lot.

She didn't lie, it was still sort of true.

Except for the wife part.

So the old lady who owned the shop offered her roses and lilies, saying that they were the best flowers to give when you're apologizing.

And so she bought them and turned to leave.

Before she could step out of the store though, the old lady suddenly called out to her.

"Make sure to bring food with you when you apologize. Apologies are best heard on a full stomach."

She smiled and thanked the woman for the advice and quickly started to look up places where she can buy take out from.

After scrolling through a number of expensive restaurants that she and Hyejin used to eat at, nothing stood out to her and she was close to giving up when she remembered that there was a small hole in the wall restaurant that Hyejin loved back then when they weren't big shot celebrities.

The restaurant served skewers and cheap street food.

They used to go to that place a lot back when they weren't famous or rich. It was a good place to get good food, and it was cheap. They didn't really have a lot of money back then.

Finally deciding on what restaurant to get food from, she sends a message to Sandeul, asking him to bring the car over to her location.

The restaurant was a little far so she needs to drive, and she wants to drive on her own.

After about 10 minutes, Sandeul arrives with the car and Byul took the keys from him and told him to take the night off and that she'll drive herself home.

Sandeul just raised an eyebrow and gave his childhood friend a smile that ultimately said, "Goodluck."

Byul hasn't driven on her own in years and it took her a bit of time to get used to the car she's using, but once she got the hang of it, she hurriedly made her way to the little restaurant.

She got there just before the store was about to close. Luckily for her, the couple who ran the restaurant recognized her, they even asked about Hyejin. She told them exactly what they wanted to hear, that Hyejin is fine and they've just been both busy.

The couple seemed happy by what she said and even though they were about to close up their shop, they took the time to cook for Byul which she appreciated a lot.

It took the couple a good 20 minutes to cook Byul's take out, another 10 minutes to drive back to Hyejin's apartment building and 5 minutes to find a parking space.

She was exhausted.

And yet, as she closed the door to her car, she couldn't stop smiling.

She was tired from working all day and then running around downtown Seoul to get things for Hyejin but she was happy.

The last couple of years were exhausting to both Byul and Hyejin. They had numerous schedules to attend to everyday and slowly, Byul stopped doing things like these for Hyejin.

Things like getting her flowers for no reason, buying the food she liked, making her feel special and loved.

Those things started to become a chore to her but Hyejin didn't complain. She kept doing the things that she's gotten used to doing for her, like cooking or getting her suit ready for the next day, and Byul didn't see that.

Suddenly, Byul started to feel bad again, and as she walked up to the lobby, she wondered how she could make it up to her ex-wife or if Hyejin would still really want her back after all that's happened between them.

She smiles at the doorman, who happens to be another one of Valentine's men, and told him that she's here to meet Hyejin.

The doorman opened the door and whispered that Hyejin isn't home yet but she's free to wait for her. Byul nodded and thanked him and then she went straight to the elevators to go up to Hyejin's floor.

And now here she is, 15 minutes has passed and she's still outside of Hyejin's door, waiting.

She hasn't waited for anyone like this before, ever. But then again, they never really agreed on a time so Byul stood there, worrying that the food is getting cold and Hyejin might not appreciate it the same way anymore.

She was about to lean on the door because her feet were getting sore when the elevator dings and opens and Hyejin steps out looking radiant and beautiful.

Byul smiled at her ex-wife walking towards her and she couldn't stop thinking that she missed coming home to Hyejin's warm smile and how she wished Hyejin was still coming home to her.

Hyejin: You're already here!?

Hyejin says as soon as they're in front of each other. She punches in the code for her apartment and she went inside

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter