DAY 20 19/20 KISSES

A Deal of 20

Minju woke up from her slumber with a groan, looking at the time she sees that she has enough time to prepare for her first class. Unlike yesterday, the dorm was noisy indicating that her roommate is outside. she doesn’t know if she’s ready to face Hyewon yet because of what happened yesterday.

Taking a deep breath, she went outside only to be welcomed with a savory aroma, triggering her hunger. There in their kitchen she could see the older girl cooking breakfast, while the television is playing God knows what. She wanted to greet the older girl but decided against it, going straight to the bathroom to freshen up.

Looking at the mirror, Minju stared at her reflection. Memories from last night evading her thoughts. The question of the older girl lingering in her mind, and until now, she doesn’t know what to answer. , I need Chaewon for this.

She decided to take a cold shower to take her mind off from things, hoping it would give her the relief that she needed. Not noticing the time, she was only pulled out from her thoughts when she heard incessant knocking over the door.

“Minju-ah!” Hyewon’s muffled voice could be heard.

“Minju-ah! You’ve been there for at least 30 minutes now!”

Hearing what the older girl said, Minju immediately turned off the shower. She then went to cover herself with a towel and got her used clothes from yesterday in her hand. Minju quickly went out of the bathroom only to be greeted by a worried Hyewon.

“Are you oka – “ Hyewon stopped, staring at the younger girl in front of her. She does not mean to stare, but Minju is out there only in a towel, with her hair wet, looking fresh and beautiful. Okay, Hyewon stop.

Shaking her thoughts away, Hyewon quickly averted her gaze avoiding the younger girl’s eyes. Clearing , she muttered.

“I think you should,” She said while pointing at Minju, who followed her hand only to be embarrassed. “Yeah. Clothes, yeah.” Hyewon blushed and quickly went to the kitchen not bothering to look at Minu, who is also sporting a blush.

Embarrassed, Minju hurriedly entered her room with her heart beating so fast. She quickly looked for clothes to wear and went to look for her phone. Finding it under her blanket, she quickly typed a message.

Let’s talk. ASAP.

  • Minjuring

Why? What’s the problem?

  • Chaewon

Later after class.

  • Minjuring

Sighing, Minju pocketed her phone in her jeans. She doesn’t know what to do, she obviously noticed how Hyewon stared at her earlier, she couldn’t help but feel embarrassed and at the same time, flattered? Oddly enough, she did not mind the older girl staring at her like that. Okay, Minju. Just what the ?

Readying herself, she stood up and went out of her room only to see Hyewon about to knock on her door, with her knuckles midair. Surprising both of them.

“H-hey!” The older girl stuttered. “Breakfast. Kitchen.” She stuttered, looking Minju from head to toe and quickly scurrying away to the kitchen. Minju could not help but to blush again, taking a deep breath, she followed the older girl to their kitchen.

Only to be surprised by a feast waiting for her. raising her eyebrows, she looked at the older girl already seated. Curious why Hyewon prepared this much for today. Taking her place across the older girl, she was still trying to take in the sight of various foods, mostly her favorites, on the table.

“Why,” Minju started. “What’s the occasion?”

“Can’t I cook without any occasion?” Hyewon rolled her eyes.

“I mean, you don’t just wake up early just to cook these many foods!” The younger girl reasoned out making the other girl chuckle.

Shaking her head as if to dismiss Minju’s claim, Hyewon took her chopsticks and nodded her head to the younger girl. “Just eat up, okay?”

Minju was about to retort when Hyewon started to get some foods and put it in her own plate, not wanting to spoil their meal she followed the older girl. And God, the food was amazing. Korean side dishes present, eggs, meat, what the hell, there’s also pancakes. These are all her favorites; she couldn’t imagine what time the older girl woke up just to cook this meal.

“What time did you wake up?” Minju asked, making the older girl look at her still busy munching.

“To cook all of these?” She pointed at the table, waiting for the older girl to chew her food properly.

“I didn’t notice.” Hyewon muttered, shrugging her shoulders. “I just wanted to cook something for you.” She said and grinned widely.

Seeing the sudden grin, the younger girl blushed all of the sudden and looked away. Turning her attention on her food, she suddenly found it amusing and amazing. Why is it hot in here?

Chuckling, Hyewon continued to eat her own food, reminding Minju to not stare on the food because she still has a class around 9. That made Minju quickly munched her food, almost forgetting her class and supposed talk with Chaewon.

“Woah, easy there.” Hyewon jokingly said. “The food won’t go anywhere.”

The younger girl just rolled her eyes, but listened to the older girl. She doesn’t want to embarrassed herself anymore with a possibility of a food suddenly being stuck on . I would have late lunch because of this heavy meal.

Finishing their heavy breakfast, Minju was about to volunteer to wash the dishes when the older girl beat her to it.

“You don’t have to!” Minju exclaimed. “You already did the cooking!” She could not help but to feel guilty with not doing anything.

But the older girl just ignored her and went straight to the sink, putting all the dishes in it.

“Just relax on the living room.” Hyewon smiled softly at the younger girl who obviously looks guilty. “This would be fast.”

The younger girl was about to protest when Hyewon pushed her out of the kitchen saying that she should just sit on the couch, not having any choice Minju found herself watching some odd variety show playing on the television.

Not focusing on the television, Minju was again engulfed by her thoughts with the older girl. She could not help but think about the things Hyewon is doing for her, and she’s confused with how she is feeling right now. It’s making her feel giddy and warm inside, but at the same time scared. She’s scared of the possibility that she might be indeed falling for her roommate. For her best friend.

And she’s scared to mess things up if ever she’s indeed falling. That’s the point. She’s scared of messing up and eventually losing the older girl in the end. She doesn’t want to lost her best friend because she might not be enough.

Not noticing that she’s too into her thoughts, she didn’t feel the couch dipped on the right side indicating that someone sat beside her. She was surprised when she felt a hot breath blowing in her ear making her shriek.

“What the!” Minju jumped out of shock, making the older girl beside her laugh out loud.

“You were spacing out!” Hyewon said, clutching her stomach. “Sorry! I couldn’t help it!”

This earned her a smack from the younger girl. When Minju sees that Hyewon would not stop laughing any longer, she was about to smack the older girl again when the latter caught her wrist pulling her closer. this action surprised the younger girl, making her close her eyes.

She then felt Hyewon hugging her by the waist, making her lay on the older girl’s chest. Minju felt how hard Hyewon’s heartbeat at the moment, she glanced up to see the older girl with her eyes closed.

“What are you thinking about?” She heard her roommate whisper.

Not knowing what to answer, Minju just spit out anything inside her mind. “Why did you cook that feast earlier?” She chuckled. “It’s just unusual of you.” She shrugged against the older girl’s body.

This made older girl chuckle, because it is indeed unusual of her to cook breakfast, much more of a feast. But what can she do, she could not sleep a wink last night, she feels like she’s floating away. She doesn’t even know if she actually slept at all, with all of the thoughts swirling around her.

“You seriously don’t know?” She asked, which earned a shake from the younger girl. She smiled and pulled away from the embrace, making the Minju look at her. She could see the curiosity in the girl’s eyes, showing that she does not have any idea why she did what she did. She ruffled Minju’s hari and giggled.

“You idiot.” She said, but with a tone of much endearment to the younger girl. “You still have classes; you better get ready.”

Suddenly remembering her class, Minju quickly stood up from the couch. Checking the time, she still has enough to go to her class. Seeing the surprise look from the younger girl, Hyewon laughed. This earned her a glare from Minju, who noticed what she’s wearing.

“Not going to class?” She asked, noticing that Hyewon is still in her sleepwear. “Don’t you have class in like 10?”

This caused the older girl to slowly stop and looked at Minju softly. She smiled and shook her head. “My professor won’t be present.” She said, shrugging her shoulders hoping the younger girl would not see through her lie.

“But I’ll have an extra shift later, so I might not be home.”

“Extra shift, again?”

Hyewon smiled and shrugged. “I just love working, I guess.”

Forming an ‘oh’ with , Minju went to get her bag at her room. She then immediately went to get her sneakers on their rack when she felt Hyewon hugging her from behind. This made her stop from everything she’s doing.

“What are yo – “

“Happy 20th Minju-ah.” Hyewon whispered behind her. Making her more confused.

“What do you mean by 20th?” Minjua asked glancing to her side.

The older girl pulled away from Minju and turned her around. Fixing her hair and clothes, still not giving an answer. When she noticed that the younger girl is waiting for her to speak, she smiled.

“It’s my last day to be your girlfriend.” Hyewon said. “Today is the last day of our deal.” She smiled at the younger girl, who was staring at her. The older girl chuckled and pushed the younger girl out of their dorm.

“Better hurry up, or you’d be late!” She joked. Kissing Minju’s cheeks. “Take care Minju-ah.”

Not waiting for a reply, she closed the door of their apartment. Her smile slowly fading away as she leaned her self against the door. Tears rolling on her cheeks, sobs slowly coming out. I love you Minju-ah.

Minju was standing in front of the closed door of their apartment, staring. She doesn’t know how long she was standing there, but long enough to hear the quiet sobs from the other side. She was about to knock when she felt her phone vibrate. She saw a text message from Chaewon.

Where are you? I’m at the room now.

  • Chaewon

Typing a reply, Minju gulped and looked at the door. She wanted to go inside their dorm again but she doesn’t know what to do. Slowly, she walked away with her mind focusing on the last thing Hyewon said to her.

‘It’s my last day to be your girlfriend.’

‘Today is the last day of our deal.’

Minju did not notice how long is she spacing out, until she was surprised by a door opening, revealing a frowning Chaewon on the other side.

“You’ve been standing there for the past 5 minutes.”

Snapping out of her thoughts, Minju muttered an apology as she entered the room, leaving the other girl dumbfounded. As she sat down on her chair beside Chaewon, she started to space out again. Replaying the scene earlier from their dorm. Why does it hurt?

Chaewon sat beside Minju, looking at the latter weirdly. Now she’s curious about the text, but she’s pretty certain that it involves a certain introvert girl. Seeing that the professor already arrived, Chaewon prepared her notes to listen to their discussion. She glanced at Minju who was still not moving and nudged the girl.

“Class is starting.” She whispered, snapping the girl out of thoughts and nod as she gets her own notes and pen.

20 minutes into their discussion, Chaewon was getting distracted by the incessant tapping of the girl beside her. It would only stop when Minju would space out again and would return into tapping when she’s finished spacing out. That happened again and again, until Chaewon has had enough of it.

She nudged the girl rather harshly to get her attention. “Can you please stop?” She whispered.

Minju smiled awkwardly and whispered an apology, trying to take some notes from their discussion. Chaewon nodded, and continued to listen to their class. When the tapping starts again after 5 minutes, making her groan internally. Okay, that’s it.

She raised her hand to get the professor’s attention who then called her.

“Yes Ms. Kim?”

This caused some students to look at her direction which caused her to roll her eyes.

“Minju is not feeling well, can I take her to the clinic?”

Surprised, Minju looked at the girl beside her who gave her a strong nudge on her rib making her double in pain. The professor looked worriedly and allowed the two of them to step out the classroom. Chaewon pulled Minju outside of the class and proceeded to the nearest restroom.

Checking if there are no students, Chaewon pulled the quiet girl inside and locked the door. Glaring at Minju, Chaewon crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows.

“Spill.”

Minju gulped hearing the tone of her best friend, she knew she pissed her off just by her look.

“It – it’s noth – “

“Spill or God knows what I’m going to do to you.” Chaewon said coldly.

And so, Minju spilled her heart out to her best friend. Telling everything that’s been bothering her for the past few days, from the things Hyewon’s making her feel, to the kisses that’s making her feel giddy inside, to the number of times her heart is beating erratically. She spilled all of the thoughts clouding her mind, all of the emotions that she didn’t expect to feel.

“I just don’t know!” Minju exclaimed. “I don’t know what to do!”

Chaewon stared at her best friend who was having a mental breakdown in front of her. She’s still processing all the information she gathered, making her squint. This , seriously. She took a deep breath to control herself and cleared .

“Minju, are you seriously asking me what to do?”

“I wouldn’t ask you if I know!” Minju reasoned out.

Rolling her eyes, Chaewon retorted. “You’re falling for Hyewon!”

“What’s the problem with that?” Chaewon questioned the girl.

“I know that!” Minju croaked out. “That’s not the problem!”

“Then what?”

“I’m scared!” Minju sobbed. “I’m scared to lose her!”

“Why would you lose her?” Chaewon scoffed. “She’s been with you since forever.”

“Not like that, I mean – “ Minju stuttered out. “I’m scared to lose my best friend.”

Oh. Chaewon thought. Furrowing her eyebrows, she slowly approached the girl in front of her, wrapping her arms around her shoulders holding her body against her.

“Minju-ah, you won’t lose her.” She softly said as she rubbed the girl’s arm.

“What do you mean?” Minju sobbed out. “If I messed up, I’m going to lose my best friend.”

“Minju, you won’t lose her!” Chaewon repeated. “Just confess please.”

“But she’s my best friend!” Minju reasoned out. “If I messed up, I’d lose her as a best frie – “

“Minju can’t you see?!” Chaewon groaned. “I’m your best friend!”

Minju then stopped to let what Chaewon just said sink in. as if something clicked, she started to understand everything. She started to see everything in a new perspective, she started to get her emotions for her roommate and not confuse it to something as best friend.

Chaewon turned the girl to face her, she doesn’t care if they are taking too long in the ‘clinic. What she cares right now is the fact that her best friend is too blind to see what’s in front of her. Too dense to notice that her roommate is too in love with her to leave her.

She needs to do something to knock some sense into her best friend, before everything is too late. She knows Hyewon is planning something idiotic right now, and she can’t afford to let her do that.

“Minju, I’m your best friend here.” Chaewon began. “Not Yena, not Yujin, not Hyewon. I’m your best friend.”

She didn’t let Minju talk, cutting her off when she saw the other girl about to retort.

“You don’t see yourself running to Hyewon when you have problems right? Because if she’s your best friend, you won’t be here crying your eyes out. You see, there’s a difference between us, okay?”

Not hearing any reply, Chaewon continued. “I’m here for you to support you and all, to tell you if what you’re doing is right or wrong. While Hyewon is there for you, always there for you despite the circumstances. Because at the end of the day, Hyewon would always welcome you with open arms.”

Seeing that Minju is finally understanding what she’s trying to point out, she smiled and waited for the girl to answer.

“But, but what if I messed up?”

“Don’t you think you’ve already messed up?” Chaewon chuckled. “Accepting the deal and all.”

Minju flinched at that statement, and can only sigh. Shaking her head, she looked at her best friend. “Am I too late?”

Hearing the question, Chaewon remembered her last conversation with Hyewon and Yena. She knows that the girl is planning something, and she may not have any slightest idea about it, but she could feel it won’t be good. She then smiled at Minju who was looking at her.

“Not too late to confess.” Chaewon encouraged her. “Don’t waste your time now that you’ve seen what’s right under your nose this whole time.”

“What if I messed up?” Minju started to panic. “What if she leaves me because I’m not good enough?”

This made Chaewon roll her eyes, not believeing what she’s hearing right now.

“Minju, I doubt that she would leave you. I think she should’ve done that the moment you rejected her confession. But you should confess soon, please.” She stated, then worriedly thought about Hyewon. Hoping that her best friend would listen to her and confess.

“That girl would drop anything just for you.” Chaewon smiled, remembering Hyewon and how she loves Minju. “You would never be not enough, because for Hyewon, you’re all she would ever need.”

Walking out of their class, Minju and Chaewon are talking about how the former would approach her roommate. She’s getting nervous just thinking about it, but she’s thankful that Chaewon is there to help her.

Minju never thought that she would fall in love with Hyewon, well maybe, she’s just too blind and stubborn to see that her roommate is someone worth falling for. Now she understands why she feels uneasy and irritated when she saw that guy asking Hyewon out for lunch, and why she wanted to kill that salesperson – Jane? Whatever, who seems to be getting cozy with Hyewon at that time.

Remembering all those moments with the older girl, she could not help but to laugh at herself on how blind she was. She was literally falling in love for her roommate, but she confused it as something a best friend would feel. She then glanced at the girl walking beside her, and shuddered at the thought of falling in love with Chaewon.

No offense with her best friend, but she could not just see herself feeling all those emotions with her. She was about to ask a question when they saw Yena running along the hallway, seeming like she’s looking for someone. When the girl turned to their direction, she immediately went to them.

“Hey, Yena!” Chaewon said, holding the girl to stop. “What the he – “

“Have you seen Hyewon?” She cut off Chaewon. The two just shook their head, looking weirdly at the panting girl.

“.” Yena cussed and looked at the two. “Have you heard from her? Anything?”

“No, why?” Chaewon asked, slowly getting why her friend is looking for the girl. But she doesn’t want to think about it.

Yena was about to answer when she was cut off by Minju.

“Don’t worry,” Minju started trying to assure the older girl. “She might be in her shift. She did say she would have an extra shift.”

Hearing that, Yena muttered more curses and starting fumbling for her phone.

“ you Kang Hyewon.” She tried calling the girl but no one was answering. “Pick it up! Damn it!”

Seeing Yena panicking, Chaewon gulped and looked at the girl beside her who still seems confused by the what is happening.

“Minju, what did Hyewon do before you leave?”

“She said, she’s going to have an extra shift.” Minju replied slowly, remembering her roommate’s words. “Because their professor won’t be present in her first class.”

Yena then groaned out, glaring at the people who looked at her. She then diverted her attention to Minju who is sporting a confused and worried look.

“Let me tell you. The professor was very much present in our class.” She hissed, and started pacing around.

“Did you notice something unusual about Hyewon lately?” Chaewon asked slowly.

Something then clicked inside Minju’s mind. Hyewon spacing out, being stressed, her mother calling. She gulped and nodded, looking at the two girls in front of her. Minju started to feel uneasy with the situation.

“Maybe she just cut classes?” Minju reasoned out. “Maybe she’s just in her shi – “

“She won’t be in any shift because she quit!” Yena exclaimed, surprising both of the girls.

“She quit last night,” Yena muttered. “I went to the shop and the owner said that she quit.”

Minju started to shake her head, not understanding anything that is happening. Why did Hyewon resign, why didn’t she attend her class with Yena, why did she lie. Not noticing anything, her visiong started to get blurry and soon enough, tears started forming. She’s getting nervous and she doesn’t know why.

Seeing her best friend out of it, Chaewon held Yena to stop her from panicking. She then gestured to Minju who they went to support and lead her to the nearest bench. Yena mumbled some apologies and still tried to contact her friend.

“W-what’s happening?” Minju stuttered out.

Yena and Chaewon looked at each other, the latter glaring at the former probing her to start explaining. Yena widened her eyes because she doesn’t know where to start, but seeing the glare of Chaewon she would not have any other choice but to follow.

“Hyewon, she uh, “ Yena trailed off and cleared .

“I think Hyewon’s going somewhere.” Yena shortly said, making the two girls look at her, asking her to continue. Yena bit her lips and looked down, contemplating.

“To take over their company.” Yena said quietly. “In the US.” She winced with the finality of her sentence.

“How did you know?” Chaewona sked, she expected that Hyewon is planning something, but not this type of thinf. This is just so bsurd, just when Minju just realized her feelings.

“I had a talk with Chaeyeon-unnie.” Yena explained. “Apparently, she knows because of her parents since they are shareholders of Hyewon’s company and are very close to the family.”

Minju felt like drowning. She couldn’t hear anything after what she just heard. It keeps repeating inside her mind, like a broken record.

‘To take over their company. In the US.’

‘I just love working, I guess.’

‘Do you never see me anything more than a friend?’

‘Minju-ah, forget my question.’

‘Think about it carefully, Hyewon-ah’

Without her knowing, Minju stood up and started running over to their dorm’s direction. Praying that what Yena said was a lie. Hoping that Hyewon would welcome her when she opened the door, hoping, praying that someone is waiting for her. Please, please. I’m sorry. Please be there Hyewon-ah.

Seeing their friend run, Yena could only groan when Chaewon pulled her hand to follow Minju’s disappearing figure.

“Stop whining or I’ll kill you!”

Yena could only gulp and follow her friend. But at the same time, worried if Hyewon is still there. She should have sensed it the moment she didn’t see Hyewon inside their class. That girl never skips a class, she should have sensed something was wrong right from the start.

She should have done something to stop her friend. And now, the three of them could only hope and pray that they are not too late. That Minju is not too late.

Slamming the door open, Minju was greeted by a quiet dorm. She gulped and entered slowly, looking around. The television was turned off, and all of the things were in their proper places. Yena and Chaewon followed Minju inside, also looking around, looking if something is out of place.

Minju quickly went to the older girl’s room not bothering to knock. She opened the door hoping to see her there. But was only meet with a sight of a clean room. Not a clean room in terms of a person being naturally tidy and all, but clean like no one stayed there.

She frantically opened the drawers and cabinets, not wanting to believe the possibility of Hyewon actually leaving her. She didn’t know she was sobbing until she felt an arm behind her, guiding her to take a seat on the bed.

She turned to see the worried looks of Yena and Chaewon. Minju started to shake her head, burying her face into her best friend’s chest. Chaewon hugged the girl, hoping to ease the pain that she’s feeling.

“I’m late.” Minju sobbed out. “I’m too late.”

Yena and Chaewon could only look at each other. Because how could they heal the broken girl who just realized she's been in love this whole time?