Talks

Unable. Disable. Enable

Help?

'I don't need help.' Baekho signed back, shutting the book and getting up. He cringed when the chair made a scraping noise across the floor but he tried not to express his discomfort although Minhyun already noticed it.

'You do. It hurts, doesn't it?'

'I don't know what you're talking about. Just leave me alone.' Baekho stormed towards the shelves, putting the book back and was about to leave when Minhyun used his tall frame to block the way, pinning Baekho against a book shelf to stop him. Baekho gasped and stared at the male who was frowning. 'Are you going to hurt me?'

Minhyun was baffled and shook his head. He gently removed the earmuffs from Baekho's head and took out the earplugs too. Baekho didn't know why he let Minhyun do that but he just did.

"Hi," Minhyun said and Baekho blinked. He thought it would be loud and surprising just like every other person's voice he had heard so far ranging from his mother to his best friends to his lecturer. But no. Minhyun's voice sounded calm and light to his ears. It was almost pleasing to hear. Was it because they were soulmates? Baekho couldn't understand.

'Say something again.'

"Something again," Minhyun said jokingly and let out a soft chuckle. Baekho felt his heart beat faster just like before when he was still just having a crush on the other and things weren't as complicated. His cheeks turned red and he leaned closer.

'Say my name.'

"Baekho."

Baekho let out a soft gasp and felt like Minhyun's voice was melting his insides in a good way.

'Say mine too.' Minhyun signed and Baekho bit his lower lip. "Please?"

Baekho nodded and gulped. "M... Min... Minhyun."

Minhyun's eyes twinkled. He felt like bursting into tears but knew he probably shouldn't since they were in the library and that would be awkward if someone were to walk by. Baekho grabbed his hand and started dragging him out of the library. Minhyun was surprised but he definitely wasn't against this. It made him feel like Baekho would actually listen to him this time. He didn't know where the other was bringing him to but they left the campus ground and all the way to a different bigger playground. Minhyun was confused even as Baekho let his hand go and started crawling underneath one of the dome shaped crawl spaces that was meant for kids to hide in. He poked his head out once he was inside and motioned to Minhyun to join him. Minhyun didn't hesitate in getting in. Baekho sat at one side while Minhyun sat facing him. Their long legs overlapping one another's in the rather small space.

'What are we doing here?' Minhyun signed. Baekho pulled a cardboard over the opening, leaving them in the dimly lit dome. Minhyun wasn't sure what was going on since doing that only made it difficult to read hand signs but he waited.

"I... I used to hide here... As a kid," Baekho spoke as he pulled his earmuffs down and Minhyun felt himself shivering a little. The echoes from the walls made Baekho's voice almost loud and clear, giving him chills. He loved hearing Baekho's voice so much. "When I got sad or upset. Or when I just... Wanted to... Be alone."

"Are you... Sad and upset now?" Minhyun asked, quietly reaching over to hold his hand. Baekho let their hands connect and nodded. "Why?"

"I'm sorry," Baekho said while squeezing Minhyun's hand. For some reason, he felt comforted being held like this. He didn't feel afraid of being able to hear Minhyun's voice. It had a calming effect over him and he felt himself able to accept hearing himself a little more.

"What for?"

"For not... Listening." Minhyun gently rubbed his thumb over Baekho's hand.

"You don't have to be sorry for that," he replied. "I... I made a mistake. Of being friends with them. I'm the one who should be sorry for what happened... I don't exactly know but I just want to tell you that I would never not want to see you or talk to you and I wasn't doing it out of pity. I really... I really do like you."

Minhyun felt Baekho's hand stiffen before he looked up to meet Baekho's hazel eyes. "You... You mean it?"

"Yes. I approached you because I wanted to be friends. Or maybe more than friends but I really just did it with pure intentions. I... I have had a crush on you ever since I saw you for the first time. I just wasn't brave enough to bring myself to strike up a conversation. I was afraid you wouldn't find me interesting or we wouldn't get along."

Baekho listened to Minhyun's voice intently. So gentle. So warm. He could keep listening to it and never get bored. "You... Had a crush on me?"

Minhyun let out a little nervous laugh and Baekho swore his stomach was doing little flips. "Yeah."

He covered his face in embarrassment as he said his next words, "I have a crush on you too."

Minhyun almost didn't hear it but the small space made it echo. His cheeks flared up and he squeezed Baekho's hand. "Really...?" Baekho nodded and Minhyun scooted forward. "Really, really? Like... You..."

"Yes, I do. Shut up. Oh gosh," Baekho whined and smacked Minhyun's arm. Minhyun giggled and Baekho blushed as well.

"I don't know who said those things to you but they're not true," Minhyun said while holding Baekho's other hand as well. Baekho looked at his hands clasped between Minhyun's and scoffed a little.

"I don't know his name but he knew hand signs and he told me you said those things. As for what happened to me... Three of them hit and kicked me. It was that day when you said to meet up at the playground. I was upset because I thought you asked me to go there on purpose and after what that guy signed to me, I was really sad." Baekho found himself spilling the truth. Minhyun frowned a little.

"Baekho, listen to me. I am not their friend anymore and if they try to hurt you or your friends again, I won't..." Minhyun paused and gulped. "I won't sit by idly anymore. I know what they have done to others and now that I can speak, I can expose them..."

Baekho realised Minhyun's troubled expression as he spoke. "You sound like something is wrong."

"Because... I just stood by when they did it before this. I was afraid of being a victim that I just... I allowed it and that just makes me worse than them."

Baekho raised his brows. He felt Minhyun's hands letting go and he moved to grab his this time. "But you'll help now, right?"

"Eh?"

"You couldn't before but you'll do it now, right? Since you have a voice." Minhyun nodded and Baekho smiled. "Then it's fine. You started by protecting Aron. You can do this. You can still make things right."

"Oh..." Minhyun felt his heart clench and he pulled Baekho into a hug, surprising the shorter male. "Thank you..."

"No, thank you. For protecting Aron while I wasn't there. I'm not as strong as I look."

"You still came back to college. I think that makes you quite strong already." Just then Baekho's phone went off and he flinched from the notification tone again. Seems like he still had to get used to other things. He was going to check it when Minhyun grabbed his shoulders. "Before you check that, does this mean I can still be your friend?"

"Friend? Minhyun, you're my soulmate."

"I know but... There's still something I have to do before I can officially ask you out."

Baekho's cheeks burst with color when Minhyun said that. He was going to ask him out? He wasn't dreaming, was he? Baekho could only nod and Minhyun smiled, letting him go. He breathed in deeply before taking his phone out to check. It was from his friends, asking where he was since their second class was about to start.

"Oh. I forgot about afternoon class."

"Let's go together."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. But can I... At least kiss you one more time?"

Baekho gulped and nodded. Minhyun leaned closer and Baekho shut his eyes tightly. The taller male couldn't hide his smile since Baekho looked so adorable scrunching his face up. He gave him a quick peck on the lips before hurriedly pushing the cardboard to leave before he suffocated from nervousness.

"That's it?" Baekho whispered and Minhyun was confused before he yelped. Baekho pulled him back and crashed their lips together more intensely than what Minhyun had done even on their first time. Their lips seemed to fit together as Minhyun tilted his head. Their hearts fluttered and no words could describe the feeling within their chest except warmth and love. Baekho moved away with red cheeks and let go of Minhyun, letting an awkward cough to the side.

"I didn't know you could be this aggressive," Minhyun said and chuckled, leaving the dome. He helped Baekho out and sure enough both their faces were bright red.

"Yeah... Well," Baekho mumbled and rubbed his neck. Minhyun held his hand out.

"I know what I said but... We can at least hold hands, right?"

"H-hold hands?"

Minhyun nodded and Baekho looked at Minhyun's outstretched hand. He hesitated but grabbed it after a while. He slid his earmuffs back on and they walked back to college. They stood outside of their class together for certain reasons. Minhyun knew who would be inside and knew what he had to do. He looked at Baekho, trying to build his courage to do it for the sake of his own future with his soulmate. Baekho was nervous too. What would his friends think if they saw him already holding hands with Minhyun? Maybe he should let go. He tried but Minhyun squeezed it and he couldn't bring himself to do it. He needed Minhyun just as much as the other needed him too.

"Let's do this," Baekho said it aloud first and Minhyun gulped. He nodded.

"I can do this..." He let out a nervous breath and slid the door open. His eyes immediately fell on the three guys whom he had come to disagree with their ways ever since he had found out months ago yet never had enough courage to stand up to them. Now he had a reason and a voice. He can do it. Baekho noticed his friends and looked around.

"No lecturer yet. We can do this quickly," Baekho said and Minhyun nodded. He took the first step into the class and Baekho followed, slowly letting his hand go. Minhyun walked straight up to the three guys who took notice of him. Baekho stood behind him silently.

"Now you come crawling back to us, mute?" Sungwoon scoffed with crossed arms.

"What do you and that want?" Jisung hissed.

"I will no longer be a part of your group," Minhyun said clearly and firmly, stunning them. This was the first time they've heard his voice after all. Baekho pursed his lips uncomfortably but he wanted to stay by Minhyun's side just in case they tried to start a commotion.

"So you and that little are buddies now?"

"You think you can just quit? You're going to regret this, mute."

Minhyun curled his fists and steeled himself. "I'm not afraid of you guys. I know what you have done and I can expose you for it. I have a voice now."

Jisung stood up and Baekho took a step closer. The head bully growled at Minhyun. "Just because you have a voice, it doesn't mean jack . You better watch your back, better yet watch your little . We are going to come after you if you dare say a word."

Minhyun didn't respond. Instead he just took Baekho's hand and led him away. Baekho quickly followed closely behind him as they made their way to his friends who were getting nervous about the whole situation.