He

Unable. Disable. Enable

The tall male walked up to the group of males sitting around at the table. They looked at him, some frowned while others seemed confused by the angry look he had on his face. Because Minhyun was never angry. He always smiled and pretended everything was fine.

'Why did you do that?' Minhyun signed furiously at Jisung who chuckled.

"What's this? You plan on going against me?" Jisung asked while smugly leaning his head against his hand. Some of them had uncomfortable looks on their face.

'You hurt people. Innocent people.'

"Look, Minhyun. I don't understand your hand gestures. You're just wasting your time."

"He says you hurt innocent people," Seungwoo spoke up, earning a few glances from the others at the table.

"You. If you know what's best for you, shut up."

"Don't you dare talk to my boyfriend like that," Daniel growled and Jisung stood up.

"You wanna fight, buddy?"

"Daniel, don't," Seungwoo said and Minhyun slammed his hands on the table to get their attention.

'Leave Baekho and his friends alone.'

"Leave Baekho and his friends alone is what he said."

"I don't give two s about what he said, Seungwoo. Mute people should just stay quiet and be a good little boy."

Seungwoo snapped and stood up, wanting to punch Jisung for being such an but Daniel held him back. Minhyun didn't falter and just walked away. "You're an , Jisung." Seungwoo grabbed Daniel's hand and walked away. "You should stop hanging out with them, Jihoon."

The short boy looked at Seungwoo and then at Jisung who was glaring at him. The whole group knew the only reason why some of them stayed was because of other people. In this case, Seungwoo was only there because of Jihoon and Daniel was there since his soulmate was. But everyone else overlooked that since they were constantly around each other.

Minhyun decided he was going to explain everything to Baekho whether the other wanted to hear or not. He just wanted to go back to maybe even just acquaintances rather than strangers.

But he wasn't expecting Baekho to completely shut him out like this. Ears covered even though he was deaf and eyes shut tightly. Minhyun held his arms and tried to pull them away from his ears but Baekho shook his head.

"I don't want to hear it!" Baekho said.

Just let me explain!

Minhyun really wished Baekho would just let him explain. He still didn't know why the other was being like this either. There has to be some other way to get Baekho's attention. His eyes landed on Baekho's lips and he didn't think. He just went for it. He let go of Baekho's arms, grabbed his cheeks and kissed him.

^^^

When Baekho felt something soft press against his lips, his eyes shot open. Minhyun was barely even inches away from him. His eyes shut again as his body relaxed into the kiss. A weird snap sounded behind his ears. Explosions rang beside him and Baekho swore there was a fire pit in his stomach.

Minhyun is kissing me.

Then he heard the first step. Then another. And another. He pushed Minhyun away and gasped but even that startled him. He could hear his voice.

My voice.

Another gasp made him press his hands against his ears again. Minhyun seemed just as stunned as Baekho as he clutched his neck.

"Aa..."

Baekho looked around with bewildered eyes. The trees rustled, students walking, cars passed by. All of a sudden, noise flooded his senses and he winced. This was too much for his brain to suddenly take in but that confirmed one thing.

Minhyun is my soulmate.

And then he sprinted.

^^^

Baekho is my soulmate.

Minhyun stood there frozen as Baekho ran away with his hands still covering his ears. Minhyun could feel the burn in his throat and the lingering feeling of Baekho's lips still on his. He tried to call out to the other but he still couldn't quite get his voice to function properly so he was left alone again. He started whispering softly, trying to get used to having a voice and hearing it in his ears as well. He headed home and his mother glanced up from where she sat on the couch.

"Welcome home, Minhyun. How would you like chicken herbal soup tonight?" she asked in a gentle tone. Minhyun gulped and stood in front of her.

"M-mum...," he said softly and his mother stopped whatever she was doing immediately. She looked at Minhyun with confused eyes.

"Did you... Say something?"

Minhyun nodded and smiled. "Mum."

"Oh. Oh dear. Minhyun, your voice. You have a voice." She stood up and pulled him into a warm hug. "You found them. You found your soulmate."

"Yes, mum."

"Oh, I'm so happy for you. Who is the lucky person? Handsome? Pretty? Smart? Well, that doesn't matter. When are you going to bring them home?" his mother asked enthusiastically.

Minhyun stiffened from that question and his expression fell. She noticed it and gently patted his cheek.

"What's the matter, dear? You don't seem too happy about this."

"I screwed up, mum."

^^^

Baekho flinched at every little sound that was supposed to be normal except it wasn't normal for him anymore. For 6 dreadful quiet years had changed his senses and his life and all of a sudden, it was all back. He was not deaf anymore and that really really hit hard. The sound of the door shutting made him yelp and drop to the floor in surprise. His body hitting the floor shocked him as well as he quickly stood up and stumbled backwards, bumping into the keys hanging against the wall, making them jingle and quickly dodging it.

"What is that ruckus?"

Mum?

Baekho froze and then he saw his mother come out from the kitchen with his baby brother who let out a little cry. He rushed up the stairs to his bedroom, about to slam the door close when he remembered how startling loud it was and just shut it slowly instead. He dropped to the ground and panted, hearing every little breath he took. The pounding of his heart. The noises his mother was making downstairs. Loud. Everything was just so loud. It made him uncomfortable. His phone notification tone went off and he screamed by accident, covering his ears again.

He heard footsteps coming upstairs and moments later his room door was being pushed open although it stopped when it bumped into him since he was sitting there. His mother poked her head in as much as she could and looked down at him.

'Are you okay? Did you fall down and hurt yourself?' she signed and Baekho shuffled away from the door so she could come in. He stood up and patted his .

'I can hear.' he signed and his mother blinked.

'You can hear?' she signed and he nodded. "You can hear me?"

Nod.

"Yes."

She smiled warmly and walked over to him, patting his shoulders. "That's great. This calls for a celebration, Baekho."

Baekho winced and put his hands against his ears again. His mother's expression turned into worry.

'Still not used to it yet?' she signed and he nodded.

'Everything is so loud and scary.'

'Take your time. Tell me when you're ready. You can also wear earmuffs to lessen the noise first.'

'That's a great idea, mum.'

That night, he video called his friends. He had earmuffs on like his mother suggested and it did help muffle most of the sound out. His friends were talking while he just stared at the screen, listening and taking in their voice.

"-the semester to be over-"

Minki.

"-holiday together?"

Jonghyun.

"Maybe a road trip would be-"

Aron.

He removed the earmuffs and smiled. He could hear his friends. Their voices had changed so much since the last time he heard them.

'You guys sound so different," Baekho signed and immediately all three of them stopped talking. 

"I didn't read wrongly, did I?" Aron was the first to talk. Baekho shook his head.

'I can hear you guys.'

They all gasped and squealed excitedly. Baekho giggled even though he did push the earmuffs over his ears since their squeals were rather sharp.

"O M G!! Who is it?!" Minki asked enthusiastically.

"Why didn't you tell us earlier? Is that why you wore the earmuffs?" Aron added.

"Guys, calm down. You're going to hurt my eardrums," Jonghyun said since he had earphones on and the other two tried to keep it down. Baekho was thankful though. "Well, Baekho?"

"I swear if the name Minhyun pops out from your lips, I'm going to faint," Aron said jokingly and Baekho's cheeks must've had turned red then because Aron gasped. "I'm damn right, aren't I?"

"Is it him?"

Baekho nodded and pressed his hands against his cheeks.

"Oh god. No way. How did it happen?" Minki asked.

'He wanted to explain but I didn't want to listen so he kissed me. I don't know why.' Baekho signed. 'But I started hearing things again after that.'

"Why are you signing?" Aron asked and Baekho chewed on his lower lip.

'I can't get used to my voice.'

"Baekho, you have a soulmate for a reason. They're meant to be there for you once you've regain your senses like how Minki was there to help me and vice versa. But I don't see Minhyun in your room and you look like a frightened puppy. So I'm guessing he didn't get to explain. Did you run away?"

Nod.

^^^

"He ran away," Minhyun said, explaining everything that happened between him and Baekho. Sometimes using his own words, sometimes still hand signing. His mother listened and sighed softly.

"I can't blame your soulmate for running away. You chose the wrong friends and he probably suffered from it."

'What do I do, mum?' Minhyun signed and lowered his gaze. 'I didn't mean to hurt him.'

She gently patted his back. "The way I see it now, it's probably for the better if you leave him alone until he finds you instead. But you did mention that he was deaf, right?"

"Yes."

"If that's the case, he might really need you. Your father was blind before we got together and he really had a difficult time getting accustomed to seeing things after that. He said the only thing he could look at without feeling nauseous was me and that was how he overcame that."

'But I don't really feel that bad about being able to talk.'

"Some have it worse than others. You should still check up on him. Maybe he will warm up to you again sooner or later. He's still your soulmate after all," She said and smiled. Minhyun nodded and sighed. He could only hope Baekho would listen to him. Actually listen this time.

^^^

Baekho had on earplugs and earmuffs even in class. It did help mute most of the noise but he could still hear them. He tried to get used to it but every noise he heard seemed to give him uneasy tingles against his skin and he didn't know why. He felt exposed. He went to the library to take a break from all the noise after his morning class was over. Thankfully it was mostly quiet there. He found a seat and just flipped through a book with an uninterested face. The chair opposite his moved and he flinched, looking up as Minhyun sat down. Eyes following the other's. 

Minhyun waved and Baekho pursed his lips. He hesitated and was about to shut the book but Minhyun held his hand. He felt what seemed like hot pricks against his skin when Minhyun made contact. He flinched again and contemplated pulling his hand away. Minhyun tapped his own ear and pointed at Baekho. Baekho knew what the other wanted him to do but he didn't want to. He shook his head defiantly and slid his hand away from Minhyun's.

'Please, Baekho, I can help you.' Minhyun signed.