Uh

Unable. Disable. Enable

The library was a place of solace for Minhyun. He didn't have to feel left out about being unable to talk since you're not supposed to even be talking loudly in it. He looked through the seemingly endless amount of books in the library, trying to find for one that would aid in his assignments. He would have asked the librarians for help but he liked to just explore and see the new books they always had to offer. In a way, he felt like the books were talking to him. He pulled out a book the same time the book on the opposite side was removed. He noticed hazel eyes looking back at him and he smiled, wondering if whoever that was was also taking the same class as him. He could only see the person from their eyes above and whoever it was quickly shied away. Minhyun looked around, making sure none of his friends were around before rounding the shelf. Maybe he could make friends with other people before going up to his crush but as soon as he turned the corner, he bumped into someone. The same hazel eyes looked up at him again before a quick hand motion that said sorry appeared before him. Minhyun felt his breath hitched as he grabbed the person by his shoulder.

'Hi.'

The person was in fact Baekho. Who would have thought. He noticed Baekho's cheeks gradually turning pink and he chuckled silently. How cute.

'Hi.' Baekho waved back and an awkward smile graced his face.

'Are you doing research for the same class?' Minhyun signed and  motioned to the books they were both holding. Baekho nodded. 'Want some recommendation?' Another nod. He smiled brightly and started pulling out several other books that did help him and he had a copy of them at home too. He handed them to Baekho who just took the books in his hand. 'These are really helpful.'

'Thanks.'

They stood there awkwardly and Minhyun pursed his lips. Now what. As if on cue, Baekho's stomach growled and the shorter male blushed furiously since he could still feel the rumbling even if he can't hear the noise it made. He had hoped it didn't make a noise but Minhyun's next sign had told him it did.

'Hungry?'

Nod.

'Let's go for lunch together. I haven't had mine yet either.'

Minhyun swore Baekho's hazel eyes twinkled at the mention of lunch. And it was just so adorable, Minhyun felt someone shooting arrows into his heart. It was almost unbearable when his lips were stretched into a grin. He noticed Baekho staring at him but he decided not to comment on it since he was staring at the other too. He helped carry a few of the books to the counter so Baekho could have them checked out while he handed his own as well. Once the books were neatly tucked away in their bags, they headed out.

'What do you want to eat?' Minhyun signed.

'Burger! Burger, burger, burger.' Baekho signed back almost too eagerly that Minhyun laughed a little. He wondered if he ever did smile around his friends like this.

'Burger it is.' Minhyun realised Baekho had turned sheepish after that, wondering if he got embarrassed by being this excited about burger. He gave Baekho a pat on the back and the other looked at him. 'Something on your mind?'

'I'm Baekho. What's your name?'

Oh.

'Stupid me. I'm Minhyun. Nice to meet you.'

Baekho's smile brightened up and Minhyun swore his heart ached seeing such an innocent face. They headed to McDonald's since it was the closest to their campus. It was always packed with people so they opted to use the kiosk instead. Thankfully they had those since that meant skipping needless interaction and awkward pointing. Minhyun tricked Baekho and paid for his food. Baekho gasped and tried to pay Minhyun back but the other wouldn't take his money, leaving a sulking Baekho to strut behind him. They waited for their food, trying to engage in small conversation of hand signs. They had quite a lot to talk about, ranging from their college to hobbies and such until their hands were tired from too many motioning. They grabbed their food and tried finding for a place to sit, ultimately choosing an empty spot in a corner. They continued signing away to one another. Sometimes Baekho would let out a small laugh and Minhyun felt his heart flutter again. He felt like he was dying from bliss for actually being able to interact with his crush as well as possibly being friends with him. He never knew it would be this easy or maybe Baekho was just that easy going. They seemed to get along really well and understood each other. He found out that Baekho was deaf which was why he knew how to hand sign as well since he was bad at reading lips.

^^^

Baekho was bummed out about his assignment. He had no luck in asking his friends for help when they literally couldn't do it either. There was the library but he didn't even know what three quarters of the books were for or where to even start. Still, if he wanted to pass, he had to do something about it so off to the library he went. He was looking at titles that didn't make much sense to him and he sighed, getting annoyed. Maybe he should ask a librarian for help or just act like everything is fine and pick a book? Act like an intellect. He groaned and pulled a random book out, noticing the book before his being pulled out as well. He was stunned as he stared at his crush's face. Oh wow. So that's what libraries are for, he thought sarcastically. A smile made him incredibly awkward and he quickly turned away, face turning red. He hoped Minhyun didn't realise he was staring. Oh god. He quickly pulled the book out and rushed to leave but he bumped into someone. He looked up and gasped.

What do I say? What do I do?

'Sorry' His hand moved to sign instead. Great. Real excellent move, Baekho. Make yourself look like an embarrassment in front of your crush. His face was turning red and he felt a hand in his shoulder. Minhyun waved and Baekho swore he was becoming like a tomato. He waved back.

Now what.

He blinked and before he knew it, he was sitting opposite his crush in McDonald's, munching on burger like a child and staining his cheeks. Minhyun smiled and picked up a tissue, wiping the stains off. Baekho froze. Even his mouth stopped as he stared up at Minhyun with his large eyes. His face literally burst in colors as he almost spat out his burger. He started choking instead and Minhyun gasped, handing Baekho water as he reached over and patted his back. Baekho gulped down the water and slid Minhyun's hand away, motioning that he was okay or whatever his hand movement meant. Minhyun stopped though and waited for Baekho to calm down.

'You good?'

Baekho nodded and showed an okay sign. He gulped down the rest of the water and cleaned his mouth.

'Sorry I eat so dirtily.' he signed and Minhyun shook his head.

'It's okay. Are you full yet?'

Baekho nodded and smiled. 'What about you? You only bought a drink and fries.'

'I don't eat much.'

'You should. You're thin.' As if to make a point, Baekho put his arm beside Minhyun's and the difference was astounding. Minhyun chuckled silently and shrugged.

'I don't have much appetite.'

'Worried about your assignments?'

Minhyun tapped his drink and pursed his lips. He didn't know if he should share his problems with Baekho so quickly. The other seemed to be unfazed by everything Minhyun had already mentioned to him so far and they got along well too. So it should be fine, right?

A certain voice startled Minhyun since he recognised it. He glanced backwards and saw his friends enter the fast food restaurant. He turned back to Baekho who raised his brows.

Right. He can't hear.

Minhyun shook his head instead and just smiled. Baekho nodded and finished up his fries. The shorter male realised that Minhyun looked nervous and wondered if he had said something wrong. His phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out, checking his message.

Oh !

'I have to go now. Mum is expecting me home.'

Nod.

Baekho stared at Minhyun and then his phone.

'Wanna exchange numbers?'

Please say yes. Please say yes.

Nod.

Baekho grinned widely and handed Minhyun his phone. Minhyun keyed his number in and handed it back. Baekho quickly saved it as Minhyun before waving and dashing off. He ran back, confusing Minhyun and he chuckled.

'See you tomorrow. I'll text you tonight.'

Then he ran off again, leaving a blushing Minhyun to himself to scream in silence. Minhyun couldn't believe he actually gave Baekho his number and even better, Baekho was the one who asked him for it. There goes his plan to actually slowly work his way to get the other's number. Nevertheless he was really really happy that things was going much smoother than he expected. Maybe it wasn't going to be that difficult to be friends with Baekho after all.

"Hey, Minhyun. You alone?"

He jumped and glanced at his friend who went by the name of Seungwoo and also happened to be the only one in the friend group whom he was okay with. Behind him were the rest of the guys who he could definitely see were making faces that clearly didn't want Minhyun joining them. He could tell. They never really did like him much even if they let him hang out with them.

'I'm leaving now.' Minhyun quickly signed instead.

"Oh. Alright. See you around," Seungwoo said with a smile. Minhyun nodded, picking up his drink and fries before leaving. He had nowhere to go since he had only planned getting his book and going home. Who knew he would have met Baekho at the library? He smiled again when he thought about how his day had went. Sure enough the other was giving him more reasons to like him.

^^^

That night, Minhyun felt like he couldn't sleep at all. He laid on his bed while staring at his phone. He wondered when Baekho would text him. He couldn't stop thinking about it ever since he left McDonald's, just waiting and waiting for the other to text. He kept checking his phone every few minutes, wishing it was just even a simple hi. He wondered if Baekho had forgotten about texting him and it made him sulk. He should have gave himself a ring before handing his phone back. That way he would have Baekho's number too. His phone rang and he immediately looked at it, sighing when it was just Seungwoo asking about assignments. Not right now.

He groaned and responded to Seungwoo, accidentally clicking into a new message that just popped up as well before clicking send. He froze.

'Hi.'

'We need to hand it in by next week.'

'Oh. This is Baekho.'

Minhyun slapped his forehead. Way to go, Minhyun. You are one impressive fellow.

'I'm sorry. I was responding to a friend and accidentally replied you.'

'It's cool! Have you finished whatever assignment that is? Since it's due next week.'

'Yes I have. Thanks for the concern :)'

'Sure. Sorry for texting you this late. Had a whole slew of problems earlier.'

'Want to talk about it?'

'As long as you don't mind hearing about vomiting babies and tripping in the bathroom.'

Minhyun giggled.

'Try me.'

They started chatting the entire night until midnight went by them without them even realising. It was much easier to text than to hand sign and much much faster too. In the end, Baekho stopped replying halfway through and Minhyun guessed he must've had fallen asleep. He placed his phone against his lips and smiled.

"Goodnight."