Day Nine

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Irene cradled her head into the dip of Wendy's shoulder blade.

 

The little hairs on the blonde's neck stood up as her body tingled from the light breaths Irene released against her skin.

 

Wendy continued to the older woman's hair until Irene tilted her head to lock eyes with the intern.

 

There was a piercing, lustful look directed at the blonde as she cleared .

 

The meteorologist focused her eyes on the pink heart-shaped lips only inches away from hers.

 

She decided to close the distance as she lifted her hand to caress the face of the younger woman.

 

Wendy closed eyes and tilted her head closer to the raven hair woman, anticipating the feeling of confusion and frustration erased with a kiss of approval.

 

A loud clap of thunder roared through the sky and a steady downpour of rain covered the women.

 

"Here follow me my car is over there!," Wendy yelled as she led Irene to her vintage car.

 

She took off her pea coat and held it over the meteorologist to shield her from the rain as they ran to the safety of the car.

 

Wendy inserted the key in the lock on the passenger's side and pulled on the handle.

 

"UUUURRRNNNNN!," the old door creaked as the blonde pulled it open.

 

Irene snickered as she faced Wendy who was beet red from embarrassment.

 

"I meant to fix that," she said sheepishly as the older woman entered the car.

 

The blonde ran to the driver's side, she threw her soaking, wet pea coat in the backseat.

 

She entered the car dripping wet, her shirt sticking to her skin, her shoes filled with water, and her bangs smashed against her forehead.

 

Irene extended her arm to adjust the bangs back in place.

 

Wendy flinched at first from the unexpected skinship but blushed and said a small thanks.

 

Irene smirked at the younger woman's shyness.

 

"I think we should head home to change clothes so we don't come down with something. What do you say?," Irene gently asked.

 

Wendy started the engine and the windshield wipers.

 

"Sounds like a plan, so where did you park your car?," Wendy asked scanning the parking lot.

 

Irene directed the intern to the front entrance of the university where an sleek, silver Lexus ES was parked.

 

Wendy pulled into the spot next to it that was open. 

 

Both women sat in silence listening to the wipers swish side to side pondering how to end the encounter.

 

"So....," they both said at the same time which ended in laughter.

 

"You first," Wendy instructed.

 

Irene kept her eyes focused on her fingers as she nervously played with her hands.

 

"I was wondering if you would be interested in having dinner with me?"

 

Wendy gulped, "Sure where would you like to go?"

 

Irene continued to avoid making eye contact.

 

"Well what would you say to me cooking a delicious meal at my penthouse and you could shower and change your clothes in the meantime."

 

The blonde's eyes bulged and she was at lost for words.

 

Her stuttering caused the older woman to lift her head to look the intern in the eyes.

 

The raven hair woman placed a finger against the lips of the blonde to quiet her.

 

"Sorry to suggest it as it is a stupid idea! Just forget I mentioned it!," huffed Irene.

 

She turned to exit the car but stopped as a soft hand rubbed her arm.

 

"It isn't a stupid idea and I would love to have dinner with you," answered Wendy with a slight show of her dimple.

 

A warm smile broke across the meteorologist's face and she leaned in to place a kiss on the intern's lips.

 

But was interrupted as the younger woman sneezed.

 

"Let's take my car, I have a spare blanket in the trunk," Irene said as she rubbed the soaking wet sleeves of Wendy's shirt trying to warm her up.

 

Wendy nodded as she shut off the ignition and exited the car.

 

The rainfall slowed down but the rumblings of thunder echoed in the air.

 

Irene opened the trunk to retrieve the gray cashmere blanket and entered the driver's side. Wendy was sitting in the passenger seat as Irene handed her the blanket.

 

"Here cover your legs and arms until we arrive at my apartment building. I will also put the heat on."

 

She put the heat on full blast and Wendy shivered as she held the blanket up to her chin, her skin covered in goosebumps. 

 

Irene clipped her seat belt close and studied the blonde's face before putting the car in reverse. She lifted a piece of bangs that covered the younger woman's eyes. Wendy blinked in confusion.

 

"There now I can see your warm brown eyes that drew me to you during your first day at the studio."

 

Irene gave a gentle smile as Wendy pulled the blanket up to cover her tomato red complexion.

 

Irene laughed as she checked her surroundings before backing the car out onto the street.

 

 

 

 

The drive over to the apartment building was quiet except for the low volume of the radio playing in the background.

 

Wendy stared out the window too nervous to turn to the driver's side.

 

The car came to a stop at a red light and Irene sighed as she ran her fingers through her hair.

 

The blonde was contemplating what would be a good starter conversation when her phone buzzed in her gym bag that she laid at her feet.

 

She furrowed her eyebrows when she saw the caller ID read Sunny.

 

"Why is she calling me on my night off?," Wendy thought a little irritated.

 

Irene let her eyes glance to the intern and then back at the flow of traffic. She was aware Wendy had a packed schedule from playing sports, a full-time student, part-time employee, and somewhere in between balancing a social life with others her age.

 

Was the meteorologist hoping for the impossible to happen with the younger woman?

 

Irene shook the negative thoughts away because Wendy proclaimed she felt the same way too.

 

"Sorry I have to take this," Wendy said as she held the phone to her ear.

 

Irene gave her a small smile and nodded to response.

 

Traffic crawled as the time was 5pm, the after school and work crowd jammed the main intersections of Seoul.

 

"Hey Sunny! What's going on?," Wendy pretended to sound cheerful but was this phone call necessary as here she was spending time with the woman she fantasized about for years.

 

"The store better be on fire," Wendy mumbled to herself.

 

"Wendy, dear I know it is your scheduled night off but if you are not busy could you possibly work a 5 hour shift tonight as the other supervisor called out and the CEO has taken over my desk running the sales numbers from the last 4 months."

 

The intern hated to hear the desperation in her manager's voice and didn't want to disappoint her.

 

She let her eyes wonder to Irene who propped her left elbow on the armrest of the driver's side door and ran her fingers through her hair in frustration from the slow pace of traffic.

 

Wendy gulped, "Sunny I would love to help you but I already made plans but you can count on me tomorrow night."

 

"Okay thank you for being honest Wendy and see you tomorrow," Sunny replied before hanging up.

 

Irene didn't mean to eavesdrop but she overheard the entire conversation.

 

She tried to hide the bright smile that appeared.

 

Wendy hung up, placed her phone back in her gym bag, leaned her head on the headrest, and shut her eyes.

 

She jerked when she felt a small, warm hand squeeze her hand.

 

"Almost there," the older woman said with a warm smile.

 

Wendy smiled back as she rubbed her thumb over Irene's knuckles.

 

The blonde leaned close as she connected her lips with the raven hair woman for a slow, soft kiss.

 

Irene was caught off guard even into the kiss to feel the sensation of a soft pair of lips touching hers, until it was interrupted by the honking horn of the car behind them.

 

They reluctantly separated, giggling as they resumed their seats.

 

A few minutes later, Irene stopped the car in front of a tall industrial building. 

 

Wendy sat still overwhelmed by the expensive structure.

 

"So here is my building," Irene announced as Wendy's mouth hung open. "Let's find a space to park as you must be freezing in your wet clothes."

 

"Yeah.....," the blonde whispered as she ran her hand through her soaking, wet hair.

 

The Lexus came to stop in a numbered parking space in the underground garage.

 

"I need to grab some items from the backseat but I will meet you at the elevator," Irene instructed as she caressed Wendy's cheek and pecked her lips.

 

"Alright," the intern replied stuck in a daze.

 

Wendy exited the car with the blanket and gym bag in hand as she walked to the elevator a few feet away.

 

She gripped the blanket tighter as a cold breeze traveled in the air.

 

She turned to look at Irene who was walking toward her in a sophisticated matter.

 

Her long wavy hair blew in the wind.

 

She held her briefcase in one hand and her Chanel handbag in the other.

 

Her black trench coat flowed behind her like a cape.

 

Her shiny black and gold heels clacked against the concrete surface.

 

Wendy gulped from the display of perfection in front of her.

 

Irene stood next to her and preceded to rub her arms.

 

"You're shivering," the older woman said while closing the distance. "I have to find a way to keep you warm."

 

If Wendy could see herself right now she was sure her face was the brightest red as she imagined Irene kissing her on top of her bed.

 

Irene eyed her suspiciously, "Are you feeling ill?"

 

The meteorologist used the back of her palm to check the intern's forehead.

 

"You are a little hot so I want you to change out of these wet clothes and jump into the shower," Irene instructed. "I will be in the kitchen cooking but help yourself to any pair of clothing you want to wear."

 

"Okay," Wendy replied as the two women boarded the elevator.

 

The younger woman leaned her head on the shoulder of the meteorologist who rubbed her arms to provide some warmth.

 

Wendy felt her eyes becoming heavy.

 

Could it be the overloaded schedule of activities from school to work to sports?

 

Or could it be she felt at ease to finally experience the presence of a potential lover?

 

Someone to hug, kiss, cuddle, and share your innermost thoughts with.

 

She shut her eyes as a silly grin crossed her face.

 

The elevator dinged at the floor the penthouses were located.

 

Wendy opened her eyes and straightened her posture as Irene led her to a huge metal door that opened with the access of a keycard.

 

Irene slid out of her heels and placed them by the front door and dropped her briefcase on the glass coffee table.

 

Wendy stood in the doorway amazed by the huge living room with the spiral white sofa, tall windows that highlighted the Seoul skyline, marble kitchen counter tops, and a baby grand piano in the corner.

 

Irene peeled off her trench coat but her heel to observe a stunned Wendy.

 

She snickered, "It is safe to come in, you know?"

 

Wendy released a nervous chuckle as she tiptoed into the entryway and slowly took off her drenched sneakers.

 

Irene strutted to the kitchen as she searched the cabinets for the appropriate pots and pans to cook with.

 

"Bathroom is down the hallway on your right," she said bent over rearranging the cutlery by the sink. "Help yourself to a towel and wash cloth in the hallway closet the door on the left across from the bathroom."

 

Wendy gripped the handle to her gym bag as she silently walked down the hallway.

 

Polished hard wood floors, freshly painted white walls, dimly lit light bulbs, and a hint of lavender and vanilla scent filled the penthouse.

 

"Classy," Wendy mumbled as she recalled her tiny apartment where the sofa, kitchen table, and bed all occupied one room. 

 

But she had to remind herself she was a full-time student who worked part-time but maybe a career in broadcasting was the right choice she thought as she turned the sterling silver doorknob to the linen closet for a towel and wash cloth.

 

The blonde was speechless to be face with different shades of purple to chose from nicely folded from ceiling to floor.

 

"Plum," Wendy read the tag as she tucked the towel under her arm and spun on her heel in the direction of the bathroom.

 

The intern ran her fingers across the wall until she flicked on the light switch that blinded her with the LED glow.

 

Her jaw dropped at the sight of white tiled floor, large glass doors, a huge shower head and hose, the mirror had big light bulbs over it like the ones in Hollywood movies, and the shower wall was constructed of big stones.

 

"Wow!," Wendy gasped but she thought this was a penthouse so a luxury style of living was to be expected.

 

"I hope Irene doesn't think I'm using her?," Wendy whispered as her eyes darted frantically.

 

Wendy chuckled, "Why am I acting so paranoid? Irene invited me back to her place, I need to relax."

 

She inhaled a deep breath as she locked the door, stripped her wet clothes, and entered the shower.

 

 

 

 

 

Irene was in the kitchen preoccupied with following the recipe her mother sent her for Cheese Deung-gabi. Her mother filled her inbox with different recipes she searched online or stored in a family cookbook. Worried her only daughter focused too much on her career and skipped meals.

 

"The modern day man is attracted to a healthy looking woman," her mother remarked at the baby shower.

 

She eyed her daughter from head to toe.

 

"A little bony but still stunning as I mentioned to my coworker, my daughter is Bae Irene, the face of Seoul!," her mother proclaimed pumping her fist in the air.

 

Irene snickered recalling how her mother hyped her up to her coworker to no avoid.

 

The smiling face of Jinyoung popped into her head.

 

"Such a nice guy, I hope he finds the woman he is destined to be with," she thought as she turned the ribs over to brown the other side.

 

A message appeared on her tablet:

 

Hey Cous! Been busy with school but I wanted to check in to see how you are doing? Are you free to meet for a shopping trip this weekend if you don't mind paying? Hahaha jk! I saved my tips from the baby shower so speaking of it......is there any progress on the romantic scene? Robbing the cradle yet? 

 

Irene her teeth at the last statement made by the smartass Yeri.

 

She was about to reply when she heard the floorboards creak behind her.

 

A smile formed when she saw the small blonde girl wearing an oversized Seoul University Field Hockey tee while drying her hair with a towel.

 

"Dinner is just about ready," Irene said in a cheerful tone. "What would you like to drink?"

 

"Water is fine," Wendy replied walking to the living room to take a seat on the sofa.

 

The meteorologist followed the intern's movements with her eyes.

 

She wanted this night stored in her memory and didn't want it to end.

 

She leaned on the counter, "I hope you don't mind if I have a glass of wine with dinner. Unless you want to join me?"

 

Wendy swallowed the lump in .

 

"Glass of wine sounds nice."

 

Irene smiled as she popped open a new bottle and poured two glasses.

 

The blonde left the sofa to enter the kitchen.

 

The older woman placed the glass in Wendy's hand.

 

"A toast to realizing new feelings and acting on intuition instead of ignoring the obvious."

 

"Cheers," Wendy replied as the women clink glasses.

 

Wendy watched in awe as Irene tilted the glass back and finished the liquid in one gulp.

 

Irene stared at Wendy with wide eyes before saying, "What? It was a stressful day at work."

 

They burst into laughter while the intern sipped her drink.

 

After a few minutes of silence, Wendy placed her wine glass on the table as she scanned the kitchen.

 

"So what did you prepare for dinner?"

 

Irene turned the ribs in the pan one last time before she shut off the burner.

 

"Cheese Deung-galbi and a garden salad on the side."

 

Wendy leaned over the pan to get a closer look as her stomach growled.

 

Irene laughed, "I would say it is time to eat."

 

Wendy blushed.

 

"Yeah I think so," she replied in a small voice.

 

Irene handed Wendy a white China plate.

 

"Help yourself to as much a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter