Day Five

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Irene entered her penthouse with a feeling as if she was floating on air. At the the same time across town, Wendy walked into her tiny apartment exhausted as she collapsed face first onto her bed but the smile never left her face.

 

 

Earlier in the evening

 

 

Irene was holding one of the shower head packages stumbling over her words.

 

"M-my s-shower head broke and I........"

 

Wendy smirked, "You are looking to purchase a new shower head and you want an expert's opinion?"

 

Irene nodded her head yes forgetting to blink.

 

Wendy found this shy side of the seemingly composed Bae Irene, the face of Seoul News Now, adorable.

 

"May I examine the product you are holding, Miss Bae?," Wendy asked reaching for the shower head.

 

"Y-you can call me Irene," she managed in a small voice.

 

"Right I forgot," Wendy said as she scanned the description on the back of the package. She walked to the shelves of assorted shower heads and examined two other packages.

 

She handed the item back to Irene that she selected and said, "I think the one you selected was the right choice. It is a Delta product that allows you to adjust the flow of water from 1.85 to 2.5 GPM."

 

Irene blinked and asked, "What?"

 

Wendy laughed and said, "Go ahead and purchase the shower head you have right there but hold onto the receipt in case you run into any problems. I will personally take care of the return but I am confident you won't run into any glitches with this product."

 

Wendy cleared as she observed Irene staring at her lips.

 

"Can I help you find anything else?"

 

Irene came back to reality when the intern's question traveled to her ears. 

 

"N-no I am okay. Thank you for helping me," she said directing her eyes to the package she was holding.

 

The blonde smiled and waved, "Alright then see you tomorrow at the studio." Irene felt tongue-tied as she watched Wendy walk up the bath aisle only to be stopped by a customer.

 

She huffed as she decided it was time to check out and leave the store. 

 

"You know what the entry way to my penthouse could use a splash of new colors," Irene thought. "I will stop by this weekend to shop some more." She reasoned hoping she didn't appear as a stalker by visiting the home goods store twice in one week.

 

"Who cares?," she said under her breath.

 

She was the fourth customer in line at the register where the teenage girl from earlier was ringing customers up.

 

An elderly customer was having trouble inserting her debit card into the card machine. The young girl paged for help to the registers. 

 

Irene clutched the package close to her chest when she saw from the corner of her eye Wendy walk over to register four. She called to the next customer in line who was a young man in front of the meteorologist.

 

Irene was contemplating whether to leave her spot in line and jump into Wendy's line but she hesitated in doing so. Wendy bid the young man a nice night as she pointed to Irene to help next.

 

Irene moved at the speed of a snail and placed the item on the counter slowly. The blonde scanned the item and said the total, barely making eye contact.

 

"What time do you get off?," the news anchor let the question slip out.

 

Wendy's eyes grew wide, "Pardon?"

 

Irene cleared , "I was curious if you finished work late and would it interfere with your internship?"

 

Irene wanted to slap herself on the forehead for she sounded like a mother inquiring about her child's health.

 

Wendy chuckled, "My shift is over at 11pm but I will manage."

 

"Ohhh....," is all Irene said before adding. "Do you have a meal break?"

 

Wendy scratched the back of her neck and glanced at her wristwatch, "In an hour but it is only 30 minutes."

 

Irene's face lit up as she continued, "If you don't mind would you like to join me for dinner in since you rejected my invitation to lunch?"

 

Yeah Irene went with guilt tripping but how can the blonde refuse this time.

 

Wendy went speechless as Irene added, "Don't worry about the cost it is my treat."

 

Wendy stood in silence before saying, "Okay, is the BBQ restaurant across the street okay with you?"

 

The older gasped as she responded, "Yes that sounds wonderful!"

 

She exchanged phone numbers and promised to call her when she is done browsing the neighboring stores. Irene retrieved the shopping bag from the younger's grip accidentally letting her fingers brush against the blonde's.

 

Irene smiled and said, "See you in an hour." 

 

Wendy smiled back and called out to the next customer in line.

 

 

 

Irene set the shopping bag in her car and headed in the direction of a clothing store to kill time. She pinched herself for this  scenario seemed unbelievable. Who knew asking another female out for dinner was this easy?

 

She was aimlessly shuffling through the racks upon racks of designer skirts and dresses when a familiar voice made her ears perk up.

 

"Rose, be honest with me. Does this dress make me look flat chested?"

 

There Jennie Kim stood in front of the dressing rooms twirling around in a baby doll dress that was a few inches too short.

 

"She has gorgeous long legs," Irene commented from behind one of the racks trying to appear out of sight.

 

Rose lifted her head from her phone screen, "I don't think so but c'mon that is the 12th dress you tried on. I am starving let's get out of here and grab something to eat."

 

Jennie cut her eyes at her friend but answered in a fake gentle voice, "Sure dear friend where do you suggest we eat?" She towered over Rose with her hands on her hips.

 

"I could devour a cheeseburger and fries right now!," she exclaimed rubbing her stomach.

 

A teenager approached the friends and screamed, "OMG are you Jennie Kim from the news!"

 

Jennie straightened her posture and smiled at the young girl who handed a notepad for Jennie to autograph.

 

"What are the chances of seeing you and Bae Irene in the same store tonight!," the young girl squealed.

 

"What?," Jennie asked eyes scanning the store as Irene ducked behind a rack of shoes and crept to the the exit undetected.

 

 

 

Once outside Irene returned to the safety of her car and waited for Jennie and her friend to leave the store. After a few minutes, the friends exited the department store with an armful of shopping bags.

 

"I am going against my diet eating that junk so you are paying," Jennie said pointing her finger at Rose as both women entered the car and drove off.

 

Irene slouched down in her seat in case Jennie recognized her car. 

 

"That was close," Irene remarked catching her breath.

 

She considered Jennie a friend but she wasn't up for an interrogation if Jennie spotted her. Jennie had good intentions by trying to set her up with potential suitors but coworkers? No that is where Irene drew the line to forbid work and personal affairs from tangling together.

 

But what if Wendy finds a job at the news studio after the internship?

 

Wouldn't that make her a hypocrite?

 

"No Wendy is a college student and we aren't dating," Irene told herself. "It is simply dinner."

 

She spent the next 40 minutes browsing social media and reading emails. Her concentration was interrupted whenever a customer entered or exited the store.

 

"Calm down she will be here soon," Irene scolded herself believing Wendy would stand her up.

 

 

 

The alarm on her phone startled her as she was reading an email.

 

8:30pm in bold red print blinked on her screen and the sound of chime bells rang.

 

She opened the driver's side door and left her car. She adjusted her outfit hoping there weren't so many visible wrinkles from sitting.

 

Two minutes passed before she spotted the sand colored pea coat, platinum blonde hair, and beige tote bag. Wendy stood at the entrance looking around but smiled when she saw Irene.

 

"I can drive us there if you are tired of walking," Irene offered as Wendy walked closer.

 

"Thank you but I rather walk," Wendy said applying a dab of hand cream to her hands. "My hands crack easily at work but would you like some?"

 

Irene held out her hands as the intern applied a small drop. A scent of cherry blossom filled her senses as she rubbed her hands together.

 

While heading toward the restaurant, Irene was tempted to lock hands with Wendy.

 

"No it is too soon," she said in her head. "I might come across as pushy and scare her away."

 

She glanced at the younger girl next to her and studied every detail of her face. From the pouty lips to the perfect nose to the eyebrows that arched up in excitement when she spoke. A warm smile appeared on the weather woman's face.

 

If Wendy was being honest she was a bit terrified to have dinner alone with Irene.

 

How many interns can say they did?

 

No how many residents in Seoul can say they have?

 

And in the time span of a week of starting the internship to be out on a date with one of the most popular news anchor.

 

But was it a date? It felt like a date but Wendy didn't want to press the issue.

 

"She paid for Jaemin and Jaehyun's lunch so maybe I am over-exaggerating," she huffed rubbing her hands together.

 

Irene pulled the door open and ushered the younger to enter first. The atmosphere in the restaurant was in a buzz the moment the news anchor walked through the doorway. 

 

Cooks and bus boys were acting giddy, whispering, bowing, and smiling to the point their eyes disappeared. 

 

Wendy froze for she wondered if it was a mistake to eat here. She faced Irene who gave her a warm smile probably use to the attention.

 

A female hostess rushed to the front with laminated menus tucked under her arm.

 

"This way ladies," she directed to the table by the wall.

 

 

 

The hostess leaned in close to whisper something to Irene and she left her seat but gave Wendy's hand a squeeze saying it will be a minute. Wendy's eyes follow her as she disappeared behind the swinging door to the back of the kitchen. The blonde was reading the menu but she jumped when she heard a group of men cheering.

 

The swinging door opened to the hostess leading Irene back to her seat.

 

"Sorry the kitchen staff asked for a photo," Irene explained as she glanced at her menu.

 

Wendy hummed in response not as if that ever happened to her. Being here with a local celebrity reminded Wendy how self conscious she needed to be if she was serious about pursuing Irene. 

 

"Fans everywhere, not a second of privacy," Wendy thought.

 

Irene interrupted her thoughts by asking if she saw anything appetizing. Wendy gulped and scanned the entree section one more time.

 

"What do you say we split the Dwaeji Bulgogi?," Wendy gulped the water trying to calm her nerves.

 

Irene put down her menu and called the hostess to the table to put the order in.

 

Irene observed the time on her phone when the hostess ran to the kitchen.

 

"You have 15 minutes left of your break," Irene said tucking the napkin in front of her blouse. "Is that enough time to eat? I can ask for the food to go."

 

Wendy shook her head no and replied, "Don't worry I have plenty of time to enjoy this meal besides I am famished. I skipped my afternoon snack to attend field hockey practice."

 

"Oh you play field hockey?," Irene pretended to inquire. "Are you capable of balancing sports, school, and work all in one semester?"

 

She wanted to take back her words when she saw Wendy's expression drop.

 

"I didn't mean to doubt your capabilities actually I admire you," she said as she laced her fingers with Wendy's. "When I was in college I had a hard time balancing my studies and a social life. Do you go out much?"

 

Wendy took another sip of her water, "Actually my best friend invited me to a party tomorrow night." Wendy smirked feeling proud of herself to show off how she was able to multi-task.

 

Irene gaped in surprise guessing Wendy was a book worm. She felt embarrassed at the realization that her college life didn't measure up to Wendy's packed schedule.

 

"What if she finds me boring?," she wondered as she often did on dates that her romantic partner would conclude she was all beauty and no substance.

 

She shook that thought away when the hostess set the food down and Wendy yanked her hand away. Irene eyed the young girl who turned beet red as she retracted her hand under the table.

 

Irene gave the hostess a megawatt smile and the hostess scurried away covering .

 

Wendy chuckled at how Irene's presence had the staff in the restaurant flustered.

 

"She is better looking in person," Wendy thought as she placed the piece of pork on the grill. After marking it she put the piece on Irene's plate. Irene looked at her with wide eyes.

 

"Wendy you mentioned you didn't have anything to eat since lunch," she used her chopsticks to place the pork on Wendy's plate. "Here take this I will have the next piece."

 

Wendy laughed, "You invited me to dinner so I am only being a courteous guest and offering the celebrity the first piece of food."

 

Irene rolled her eyes and mumbled, "It comes with the territory not like I asked for it."

 

Wendy smirked as she continued to turn the pork, "Never said you did."

 

Irene chuckled as she wiped the spot of BBQ sauce on the sleeve of Wendy's shirt. Wendy stopped to examine her shirt.

 

"Must've been concentrating too hard I didn't even notice my shirt getting dirty."

 

Irene grinned as she scooped up a helping of rice with pork on top and held it up to Wendy's mouth.

 

Wendy flinched as she said, "For me?"

 

"Yes this is for you," Irene answered forcing Wendy to open mouth. She chewed the food and released a satisfied noise.

 

Irene smiled and scoped a portion for herself. The dinner continued both women eating in silence under the watchful eye of the restaurant staff. Everytime Irene or Wendy made eye contact with a cook, bus boy, or hostess, they would laugh comically and cover their face until they were out of sight. The two women locked eyes laughing at their reactions before Irene asked for the check. The hostess informed her the meal was on the house.

 

"Perks of being a celebrity," Wendy huffed but was afraid to say in front of Irene. Both women were in the early stages of getting to know one other so Wendy decided to keep quiet on certain privileges afforded to the famous. She hoped Irene won't assume that she agreed to dinner looking for a free ride. 

 

"She probably ran into that before which explains why she is single," Wendy thought but an image of Irene standing close to Eunhyuk appeared.

 

Irene grabbed her coat from the back of the chair and turned to face the younger girl but paused when she noticed how her lips were pierced.

 

"Ready to go?," she asked wondering what changed the mood of the date.

 

Wendy blinked and faked a smile, "Yeah let's head out."

 

Irene gave an unsure smile back as she placed her hand on the intern's lower back before bidding the restaurant staff goodbye.

 

 

 

"I have 3 minutes to spare," Wendy remarked glancing at her watch as the two women were crossing the street. Irene shivered from the subzero breeze that filled the air. They were standing in front of the store.

 

Wendy stopped and spun to face the older woman, "Thank you for dinner and now I have learned my lesson to never turn down a meal offered by Bae Irene." She chuckled.

 

Irene laughed swaying from side to side.

 

"Thank you for keeping me company and don't overwork yourself."

 

Wendy looked at her feet which was a nervous habit of hers.

 

"Is it okay to hug you?"

 

Irene's breath hitched in .

 

"Y-yeah sure....." there was that stuttering again. Irene prayed Wendy didn't pick up on her nervousness.

 

It was as if time stopped as both women were awkward about where their hands should go and how long the hug would last. As they broke apart, they locked eyes and burst into laughter. But there was a deafening silence as Irene's eyes wandered to Wendy's lips. 

 

The blonde swore she heard the loud pounding of her heart echoing in her head. The news woman and the intern were closing the distance inch by inch with trembling lips. Wendy wished she swallowed the mint she kept in her handbag. Irene slowly closed her eyes letting this feeling overtake her.

 

Wendy felt Irene's breath on her face and vice versa. She was so close to making every fantasy she had about the news woman a reality.

 

But the two women jumped in shock when a car alarm blared through the parking lot. They clutched their chests trying to calm their breathing. 

 

Wendy was the first to laugh and said she needed to clock back in.

 

"See you tomorrow, Wendy," Irene waved as she walked to her car. Wendy watched Irene drive off before entering the store beaming with happiness.

 

At a stop light, Irene felt her face heat up from the almost kiss that happened. She had a hard time explaining what came over her for she was never the one to initiate the first move with her previous partners. Yep she was done for and this time she had no regrets.

 

 

Sejeong held her fist up to the door ready to knock but stopped when she heard humming from the other side.

 

Her best friend seemed to be humming and whistling a cheerful tune.

 

"That is a welcome surprise!," she thought as she wasn't keen on dragging a depressed Wendy to the party tonight.

 

She folded her arms as she pondered, "Is there another female she is lusting after? Anyone but Bae Irene will do."

 

Wendy flung open the door, "Hey! What are you doing just standing out here? Come in, I have a hot coffee of cup waiting for you!"

 

Wendy beamed with a huge smile on her face. Sejeong was at a lost for words as her best friend dragged her into her apartment.

 

"Did you lose your ity or something?," Sejeong asked sipping her coffee.

 

Wendy was in the middle of drinking her coffee but spit it out. She wiped her face with a napkin and replied, "What kind of question is that? Can't I be happy? Why must everything be about with you?"

 

Sejeong shrugged her shoulders and replied, "You have to admit your mood was gloomy yesterday I mean you were considering dropping out of the internship. Now look at you it is like a different person standing front of me."

 

Wendy finished her cup and set it in the sink. She walked to the hallway closet to grab her pea coat, "What is there to say except I went on a date last night with Bae Irene."

 

Sejeong dropped open in shock.

 

"Shut up! You're lying! You know how to tell dreams from reality? Please tell me my best friend isn't becoming delusional! Anyway didn't you work last night so where did you have time to go on a date?"

 

Wendy adjusted the collar to her coat while smirking.

 

"I am allowed a meal break or did you forget?"

 

She ended by wiggling her eyebrows.

 

Sejeong playfully hit her arms, "I want all of the details and I hope this means you are still attending the party tonight."

 

 

 

On the walk to the broadcasting building, Wendy started by saying how Irene stopped by the store to purchase a new shower head and she was there to personally assist her.

 

"Ohhhh," Sejeong interrupted but Wendy hit her shoulder explaining it wasn't like that.

 

She mentioned how shy and timid the intimidating anchor woman was by stumbling

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter