Day Four

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wendy woke to her ears buzzing.

 

She fell asleep with her earpods in listening to one murder mystery podcast after another.

 

She shot up from her bed when she heard a shriek and the monologue, "And there was blood everywhere!"

 

She snatched the earpods from her ears and rubbed her eyes. She glanced at the time on her phone that read 4:30am.

 

"I have 30 minutes to spare before Seojeong is at my door," Wendy whispered. She repositioned herself on the bed and stared at the ceiling as the image of Irene patting Eunhyuk on his chest and greeting him with a smile came to mind.

 

"What was I thinking by taking this internship," Wendy said. "Bae Irene is out of my league. She rather date a coworker than a poor college student like me. I hate to switch my major back to engineering."

 

Wendy recalled a tense phone call she made to inform her parents that she was switching her major from engineering to broadcasting. There was a long silence that followed before her mother spoke up.

 

"It seems like a risky choice but as long as you are happy, honey," her mother replied from the other end faking a cheerful tone.

 

Her father didn't response until a few days after as he described it he needed to research the benefits and longevity of a career in the broadcasting field. According to the statistics, it wasn't a very stable career to pursue but he concluded as long as she was happy that was what mattered. 

 

Seoul University increased her tuition bills as a result for she was omitted on an engineering scholarship. Wendy didn't want to burden her parents with the hefty bills so she searched all summer for part-time work. At the end of September, she landed a job as a sales associate. Management admired her work ethic and promoted her to supervisor. 

 

Seojeong nagged her to quit her job and solely focus on school.

 

Or was it to expand her social circle?

 

But that is what field hockey was for.

 

She would rate herself as a mediocre player but she enjoyed the camaraderie that came with playing team sports. She also formed fast friendships with her coworkers at her part-time job.

 

Wendy was an extroverted person by nature who put others needs before her own. 

 

She left the bed to stretch as she remembered she lent her hot pack to Bae Irene. She inserted her hand in the pocket of her pea coat that hung in the hallway closet.

 

"Just like I suspected, not here," Wendy huffed but she felt heat in her cheeks as she pictured Irene falling into her arms. She brushed the fantasy out of her mind when she heard her phone buzz. She rushed to the bedroom to read the new message.

 

The captain of the field hockey team booked a practice at 3pm today to prepare for a game this Saturday.

 

Wendy sighed in frustration, "I have to work tonight but my shift doesn't start until 6pm so maybe it won't be a problem."

 

Wendy feared she would run into overlapping schedules in the future between her job, school, and sports. 

 

"I should be fine for Friday besides business at the retail store has been stagnant since the holiday rush is over," she reasoned as she gathered her beauty care products and entered the shower.

 

 

 

 

Irene woke to a tingling feeling in her hands from holding the hot pack for the night. A soft smile appeared on her face when she replayed the event of Wendy offering the hot pack to keep her warm.

 

"Such a considerate person," Irene whispered examining the hot pack. "Putting herself at risk of catching a cold in order to keep me warm."

 

She cooed as she held the hot pack close to her chest.

 

She frowned when she pictured the bad mood Wendy was in after they left the studio.

 

"All because of Eunhyuk," Irene said. "I will chalk it up to he drank too much that brought out his bold behavior."

 

But this wasn't the first time he went drinking with his colleagues so what prompted the sudden interest in Irene.

 

"I will speak to Jennie when I see her," Irene concluded. "It doesn't make sense that he wants to pursue me after working together for 3 years. And why now when I am interested in someone else?"

 

She pulled the sheets over her face as she felt a heat travel to her cheeks as a warm pair of eyes, gentle hands, and heart-shaped lips that were inches away from hers yesterday appeared.

 

She threw the sheets off.

 

"Irene get a grip," she scolded as she stretched and walked to the bathroom door. "I have to set things right. I will ask Il-hoon if he will lend me Wendy for the day. I mean the interns are required to work one-on-one with the news staff in order to complete the internship."

 

Irene tapped her chin as she plotted a scheme that she prayed didn't sound too outlandish.

 

"Yes today there won't be any distractions or interruptions," Irene said as she arranged her beauty products around the sink. "I can't let this chance slip away."

 

 

 

 

Wendy opened the door to a shocked Seojeong.

 

"Was there a death or something because the expression on your face is quite depressing?," Seojeong said as she studied her friend's face closely. 

 

Wendy exhaled before she said, "No not a death but a wake-up call that I wished would have happened sooner."

 

Seojeong stared blankly.

 

"I am lost. What are we talking about?"

 

Wendy went to the kitchen to pour herself and her guest a cup of coffee.

 

"Let me start by saying I am glad I had the opportunity to witness with my own eyes the every day operations of a news station," she started as she sipped her drink.

 

Seojeong held the mug in her hands but felt as if she was missing something.

 

"Correct me if I am wrong but you only completed 3 days worth of the internship," Seojeong said pacing the floor. "I am not the best when it comes to math but isn't this internship suppose to last for two months so you aren't even at the halfway mark. Did something happen? Are you switching majors again?"

 

Wendy chuckled, "No it was too expensive the fast time around but it is too much like a high school environment there. My fellow interns are immature and the news anchors seem professional on camera but off camera they are spoiled brats. Maybe it isn't for me, I should drop out."

 

Seojeong was shocked but it she smiled instead.

 

"Even with  Bae Irene there," she fought so hard not to say.

 

Seojeong placed her mug on the kitchen counter and stood in front of Wendy.

 

She held her by the arms, "Promise me you won't give up so easily."

 

Wendy opened to protest but her friend put her finger over her lips.

 

"I can tell you want to object but hear me out. How would your parents feel about you dropping out of the internship so early on? First, they will reprimand you for passing up the opportunity to secure a place in the broadcasting field once you graduate. You said yourself that the student advisor claimed the CEO was searching for potential candidates for anchor positions."

 

Wendy wanted to cut in but Seojeong silenced her again.

 

"Yes, you mentioned plenty of times you would rather work in the control room. Well staying on this internship will also help with that. Second, your parents will give you an earful for giving up on your engineering scholarship. They reassured you that they have come to terms with you finding your true calling in broadcasting."

 

Seojeong placed her hands on Wendy's shoulders and directed an intense stare.

 

"Who are they bulling? C'mon no offense but they are filled with regret that you chose an unstable career field."

 

Wendy played with her fingers.

 

"You said your father didn't react until a few days later because he knew it was a risky career choice and he needed the facts to back it up."

 

Wendy finished her cup of coffee and placed the mug in the sink.

 

"Seojeong thanks for the advice but if we don't leave now," Wendy said as she took her jacket and tote bag out of the hallway closet. "We will be late."

 

"One more thing, Wendy, are you considering ending the internship because of a certain someone named Bae Irene?"

 

Wendy froze in front of the closet and slowly turned to face her friend.

 

"How did you find out?," Wendy asked clearing the lump in .

 

Seojeong chuckled, "Did you forget I borrowed your laptop and low and behold in the search bar was Seoul News Now weather report and screenshots of Bae Irene."

 

Wendy felt her face turning red in embarrassment.

 

Seojeong went to where Wendy was standing and took hold of her hands. She rubbed her thumbs over Wendy's wrists.

 

"I am not here to judge you I mean if your parents are accepting of your uality than that is all you need to be certained with. Besides we have been friends for many years so you can't scare me that easily." 

 

Seojeong tilted her head trying to make eye contact and a smile formed when she witnessed Wendy's tense expression disappear.

 

"So in since I am your closest friend I want you to spill the details of what happened? Because the Son Seungwan, I love and shed tears in front of, had popcorn movie nights at her house, cut school senior year to spend a day at an amusement park, and is more of a sister to me than a friend. Quitting at the drop of a hat? Just doesn't sound right?"

 

Wendy smiled and wiped the tears from her eyes.

 

"It better be good I mean I didn't just bear my soul for nothing."

 

Wendy playfully punched her friend's arm.

 

On the walk to the music building this time, Wendy described how she was receiving mixed signals from Irene. One minute, she was stealing looks meant for Wendy and the next flirting with Eunhyuk.

 

Seojeong listened intently so she could form an opinion but she was just as clueless as Wendy was.

 

"I am having a hard time coming up with an explanation for her actions," Seojeong said as they were outside the entrance. "You probably don't want to hear this but I advise stay out of it. It is messy. Irene could be curious and nothing more."

 

A smile vanished from Wendy's mouth and she let a small "oh sure" slip from her lips.

 

Seojeong's heart sank seeing her friend's reaction.

 

"I have to be honest, I am just as lost as you are. Irene is really confusing and you are my dear friend who might get hurt. To prevent that stay clear and sorry to say from what you told me but cling to the rest of the interns."

 

Wendy shook her head in agreement.

 

"Thanks Seojeong, you are the first and only person I can trust."

 

The two friends hugged as Wendy made her way to the broadcasting building.

 

"I need to find her a date this Friday," Seojeong mumbled as she shut the door to the music building.

 

 

 

 

Irene arrived at the news studio with soaking wet hair. 

 

The shower head in her bathroom malfunctioned. The water pressure was slow at first and then it came gushing out at a high speed.

 

She would need to make a detour after work to purchase a new shower head. She texted her mother about the incident and she was relieved to find her mother paid a yearly membership to a home goods store.

 

"Before you call a plumber take the time after work to browse the aisles of Home Decor & More," her mother advised through the phone. "Save your money as I shop there all the time, the associate in the bath and bedding section is very helpful. I usually go with my instincts so I included your email under my membership and when you are ready to check out just give the cashier your email and you will receive a discount."

 

Irene found her nerves weren't on edge anymore. 

 

She snickered to herself imagining her giving her mother's email to the cashier: [email protected].

 

No [email protected] sounds better.

 

For the first time in weeks, Jennie, Kai, and Eunhyuk were sitting in the make-up chairs before her.

 

"Great why today of all days," Irene cussed in her head for she blow-dried her hair before she left the penthouse but she only got it partially dry.

 

Jennie's eyes grew wide when Irene approached the chairs. Eunhyuk cleared his throat and Kai avoided eye contact.

 

"My shower head broke that's why my hair looks like this," Irene said through clenched teeth.

 

Four stylists rushed over to Irene instructed her to sit and each had a blowdryer in hand.

 

Jennie, Kai, and Eunhyuk walked to the anchor's desk where it was less noisy.

 

"Do you guys know what time Il-hoon is scheduled to arrive?," Jennie asked.

 

Kai cocked an eyebrow and crossed his arms as he leaned forward, "Do you have something to confess? I don't know like maybe you are interested in the nerd from the control room."

 

Jennie laughed and replied, "Don't be foolish I am not asking for me. I am asking for Irene."

 

Eunhyuk perked up at the mention of Irene.

 

"Why are we trying to set her up with Il-hoon? Did she say she was attracted to him if she did it must've been when I wasn't around. Plus do they have anything in common?"

 

Jennie and Kai stared at Eunhyuk with their mouths open. It was plain as day that the sports anchor was jealous. 

 

Kai slapped Eunhyuk's chest, "Okay top dog! Work your magic and ask her out."

 

Eunhyuk started to sweat, "W-why d-do you think I want to ask her out?"

 

Kai and Jennie laughed.

 

Jennie turned to Kai and said, "Let's drop this besides Eunhyuk made such a fool of himself yesterday. We should let him hold onto whatever dignity he has left."

 

Jennie and Kai stalked away still laughing.

 

Eunhyuk grinded his teeth and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

"Is that all I am around here? A walking punchline? I will show them," he said in his head as he patted the paper in the pocket of his suit coat.

 

 

Irene was receiving the finishing touches to her hair when Il-hoon walked in with the intern class. She decided to be coy by sneaking looks at the attractive blonde. She felt like she was being watched and she turned to see Jennie eyeing her suspiciously.

 

"That is odd, why is she looking at me like that?"

 

The stylist said Irene was finish and Irene stood up to smooth out her white button up blouse, black pencil thin skirt, and black heels. She glanced at the interns as she walked to the green screen. She noticed that Wendy and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter