Day Seventeen

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Wendy rubbed small circles into her girlfriend's back as Irene snuggled as close as she could to the blonde to feel her warmth.

 

"Once I'm completely healed, I will take care of this piece of named Yang Hyunsuk!," Wendy sneered imagining how he took pleasure in assaulting the raven hair woman.

 

Irene tilted her head to make eye contact with the small woman, "Baby you don't have to protect me since the convention is over and I won't be attending another one."

 

The blonde huffed, "After everything you said he did to you like touching your body without your permission....I mean I can't let him walk around free! My parents know people who can dig up dirt on this guy and he will be locked away for a very long time!"

 

Irene caressed her girlfriend's fluffy cheek, "Let's forget about it and focus on spending the day together."

 

Wendy sighed, "Alright.....but are you okay with spending your day off in a hospital? It might get pretty boring after the first hour?"

 

The meteorologist chuckled, "As long as I'm spending every single minute with you...I have no complaints."

 

A loving smile graced the blonde's face, "I'm so happy you are in my life." She pecked her girlfriend's lips.

 

Irene kissed back, "I feel the same if not even more." The older woman nuzzled her head into the blonde's shoulder.

 

Both women jumped from the light knock on the door.

 

"Didn't mean to startle you both but I brought breakfast," Mrs. Shon drew the door open slowly as the two lovers broke apart.

 

Irene crawled off the bed to stand with her fingers laced with Wendy's at her bedside.

 

"Hey sweetie how are you feeling today?," her mother softly asked leaning in to kiss the small woman's cheek.

 

Wendy hugged her mother, "Much better since I'm surrounded by the people I love."

 

Mrs. Shon's eyes bulged as she straightened her back.

 

Irene blushed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, and glancing at the floor.

 

Wendy used her thumb to caress the back of her girlfriend's hand.

 

The raven hair woman slowly lifted her head to stare into the small woman's eyes.

 

The blonde winked, "It's okay, babe."

 

Irene blushed even more.

 

Wendy cleared , "Mom, I want you to officially meet my girlfriend, the famous meteorologist, Bae Irene."

 

The older woman chuckled, "It's not necessary to mention my job profession."

 

The blonde turned to her mother, "Irene, I want you to meet my mother, Victoria Shon."

 

The two women smiled and shook hands.

 

"Nice to meet you," they said in unison.

 

Mrs. Shon cleared , "Well I stopped by to give you a delicious breakfast I picked up but I remembered honey that you aren't allow to eat solid food yet." Wendy's mother handed a cup of hot chocolate to the lovers and a egg, cheese, sausage, sandwich on a croissant to Irene. Mrs. Shon took out two packets of peach flavored oatmeal from her handbag.

 

"Must I go downstairs to the cafeteria for a disposable bowl and hot water?," Mrs. Shon asked shaking the contents in the packets.

 

Wendy shook her head, "I think so."

 

Her mother grabbed her handbag, "No worries I'll give you two lovers some privacy." Mrs. Shon quietly shut the door and headed down the hallway.

 

The blonde chuckled but stopped when she saw tears streaking down her girlfriend's face.

 

"Babe, what's wrong? Are you still upset about what happened to you last night? I know you don't want me to get involved but I won't stop until he is caught!," Wendy balled her fists at the last statement.

 

Irene cracked a small smile as she played with her girlfriend's bangs.

 

"You didn't tell me that you can't eat solid foods," the meteorologist said using her other hand to wipe away her tears.

 

Wendy swallowed, "Oh about that well the bruise on my cheek is the result of how hard my head hit the floor from my fall and my mouth swells up. The doctor suggested I only consume liquids to be on the safe side to reduce the swelling."

 

The raven hair woman leaned in to place a kiss on the bruise cheek as Wendy closed her eyes. 

 

"I'm not going anywhere and I will be here to take care of you," the meteorologist whispered before she pecked the small woman's lips. Wendy hummed as she fidget to get comfortable.

 

The raven hair woman was about to assist her girlfriend when a young nurse opened the door to inform the couple she needed to check Wendy's vital signs and reapply the dressing to her wound on her rib cage.

 

Irene was going to excuse herself but the blonde begged her to stay.

 

"Hold my hand so I know you are by my side in case I faint," Wendy said with pleading eyes.

 

The meteorologist cradled her girlfriend's left hand between her hands, "Of course."

 

The nurse checked Wendy's heart rate, breathing pattern, inserted medication into the IV tube, adjusted the tubing at her nose, and wrote down notes on her clipboard as she inspected the monitors and wires attached to Wendy's body. She put down the clipboard and walked to the sink to wash her hands before putting on latex gloves. She lifted Wendy's gown to expose the huge blueish purple bruise on her rib cage on the right side. The nurse applied a clear coat of ointment over the bruise which made the blonde wince in pain.

 

Irene squeezed her girlfriend's hand tighter and leaned close to whisper, "I know it hurts but I'm right here, baby. Don't worry you will be better in no time."

 

The raven hair woman released Wendy's hand to run to the bathroom to fill a small bowl of cold water to soak a clothe. She returned to the small woman's bedside to apply the clothe to her forehead. Wendy was mumbling something, sweating profusely, and her eyelids were fluttering.

 

The nurse taped a medical gauze to the wound and grabbed her clipboard, "The medication I administered is slowly affecting her since she seems to be falling into a deep sleep. You are allowed to stay for visiting hours but I must recommend that the patient receives as much rest as she can. Her recovery is important and she has a long road ahead of her."

 

Irene nodded her head, "I understand and thank you."

 

The nurse grinned as she exited the room.

 

The blonde stopped mumbling and her eyes closed as her girlfriend lightly patted her forehead with the damp clothe.

 

"Sweet dreams my love, I'll be here when you wake up," the meteorologist whispered rubbing Wendy's left arm. Irene stared at her girlfriend until she noticed the steady rise and fall of her chest. She placed the clothe back in the bowl and sat in the cushioned chair, sipping her hot chocolate and munching on her croissant sandwich.

 

 

 

Seoul University 

 

Joy groaned as she flipped over to shut off the blaring of her alarm.

 

Her dorm mate entered her room, "Good you're awake! Is there any chance you can clean up the mess you made in the living room yesterday?"

 

Joy furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

 

Her dorm mate her teeth and rolled her eyes, "Well let me remind you there are multiple empty liquor bottles scattered on the floor that I know I didn't drink so it has to be you! Also pick up your wet bath towels in the bathroom unless you are planning on welcoming an invasion of water bugs!"

 

The dorm mate didn't wait for a reply and slammed the door.

 

"What a !," Joy exclaimed gripping her head to ease the pounding of an oncoming headache. "Damn! I need to take some medicine and eat something before my classes."

 

She grabbed her phone from her nightstand to check if she missed any calls or texts. Joy looked in disgust to observe the cracked screen.

 

"What the......," she pondered until it dawned on her the chance encounter with the sorority member with the kind eyes who offered to have her phone repaired for free. 

 

"Did I get her number?," Joy wondered scrolling through her list of contacts until a message appeared on the screen informing her she had limited storage space for her videos and photos.

 

The recent photos of Irene holding hands with Wendy while both women were asleep in the hospital popped up.

 

Joy ruffled her hair, squinting at the photo. Her rejection of her secret admirer back in high school who turned out to be Wendy occupied her thoughts. The rose and note thrown in the trash in order to convince her friends she was straight. 

 

"Why was I so scared to be my true self back then?"

 

"I didn't even consider how my actions affected Wendy?"

 

"Do I really believe that after 3 years of not seeing one other that I stand a chance?"

 

"What about Seulgi?"

 

Joy rested her chin on her fist, biting her lower lip while laying on her stomach.

 

She stared at the many photos she captured of the couple and sighed before deleting them.

 

"I need to let go in order to move on, besides Wendy found her true love and I should do the same," Joy said lost in thought as the image of Seulgi gently placing her broken phone back in her hands. 

 

Joy blushed as she selected a bath towel and wash clothe to freshen up for the day as she entered the bathroom.

 

"Today will be the day I let my high school life go and focus on finding my identity at university," Joy recited staring at her reflection in the mirror. "And it starts with making new friends or maybe more...."

 

She chuckled as she washed up, hoping to have another run-in with Seulgi.

 

 

 

Seoul National University Hospital 

 

Irene sat sipping her hot chocolate while munching on the last of her breakfast sandwich when Mrs. Shon returned to her daughter's room.

 

"Oh no, I'm too late, I was hoping to be back in time before she fell asleep again," Mrs. Shon said softly observing how peaceful Wendy looked sleeping. Her mother set the bowl of hot water on the table cluttered with get well gifts.

 

"The nurse stopped by to redress the wound on Wendy's ribcage and she gave her a strong dose of medicine for the pain," Irene informed.

 

Mrs. Shon scratched her head, "Well that means she will be unconscious for hours. Listen I'm not trying to kick you out as you seem like a lovely woman but in since you spent the night here, I suggest you stop by your apartment to shower and eat a proper meal. Even take a nap if you want as my daughter could be asleep for the rest of the day due to the impact of the medication she is on."

 

Irene grinned as she rubbed the blonde's arm, "I'll go home to shower and change my clothes but as soon as I can I'm driving back here for I promised to be here when Wendy opens her eyes." The meteorologist ran her fingers through the small woman's bangs.

 

Mrs. Shon smiled, "Young love! I remember how my family had a hard time prying me away from Wendy's father. We also met in college and have been together ever since. Unfortunately he is back in Toronto handling all of our business affairs but he is constantly informed of our daughter's progress and recovery."

 

Irene smiled as she leaned close to place a kiss on her girlfriend's cheek, "I promise I won't be gone for too long and like I said I will be here when you wake up."

 

Mrs. Shon smiled to observe the caring nature of her daughter's girlfriend.

 

The raven hair woman grabbed her handbag from the back of the cushioned chair and walked to the door.

 

Mrs. Shon blocked her path, "Wait a second I understand I mentioned this before but I'm grateful that you came into Wendy's life."

 

She wrapped Irene in a tight hug that the meteorologist at first had a stiff posture but relaxed into the older woman's embrace. The image of Irene's mother appeared in her head as she contemplated when was the last time she shared a moment like this with her. A lone tear streaked down her face.

 

Mrs. Shon broke the embrace as she rubbed Irene's shoulders, "Are you feeling okay, dear?"

 

The meteorologist chuckled as she wiped the tear away, "I was just thinking how I'm the lucky one."

 

Mrs. Shon smiled, "Now go change your clothes and eat a big meal if Wendy wakes up before you come back then I will call you." 

 

Mrs. Shon held up her daughter's phone with Irene's contact information displayed on the screen.

 

The raven woman gave Mrs. Shon a warm smile, "Okay and I won't be long." She took one last look at her resting girlfriend before exiting the patient room.

 

Irene shivered as she drew the sand colored pea coat close once she walked out of the ER entrance. She fumbled her car keys but sighed as her frost covered windshield caught her attention.

 

"Damn! I just want to go home instead of dealing with this!," the meteorologist complained as she entered the car to start the ignition and turn the heater to full blast.

 

A few cars away, a tall skinny man jerked awake in the front seat of his tiny car. He pushed aside the empty coffee cups, crumbled food wrappers, dirty napkins, and old newspapers covering his dashboard to prop his SLR Canon camera. He adjusted the lense to snap a few photos of Irene brushing off the snow dusting on her windshield and sitting in her car staring at her phone.

 

"I'm well aware that these aren't the scandalous photos Eunhyuk asked for but I can't just walk into the hospital and stalk her with my camera in hand," he snickered to himself. He almost dropped his camera from the shock of his phone ringing.

 

He glanced at the screen, "Well speak of the devil himself.......Yes boss I'm sitting in the hospital parking lot waiting for Ms. Bae to drive off so I can follow her."

 

Eunhyuk his teeth, "So have you found out who this secret lover of hers is?"

 

The paparazzi guy swallowed a lump in his throat, "N-not r-really considering I don't have access into the hospital." 

 

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes, "Are you serious?! It isn't that complicated like go to the front desk and make up a patient name and as the nurse is checking the list of patient names, sneak into the hallway that leads to the patients' rooms! Must I come down there and do it myself! And if that happens you will not be getting paid!"

 

"What if I'm stopped by security?," the paparazzi guy asked nervously.

 

Eunhyuk snickered, "You've got to be kidding me?! That's what you are worried about?! Look the next time Irene enters the ER follow her even pretend you are accompanying her to the hospital staff!"

 

The paparazzi guy furrowed his eyebrows, "I think you are mistaken as to what my job includes like how my target isn't suppose to see my face? Look I thought it over and I came up with a plan and I promise you will have your photos at the end of the day."

 

"You better come through or else!," Eunhyuk demanded angrily ending the call.

 

The paparazzi guy stared at his phone in disbelief, "Why is he so obsessed with who Bae Irene dates? Not like he stands a chance! If that was the case wouldn't they be in a relationship by now! I mean all of Seoul saw the intimate pictures taken at the BoA concert! to be Eunhyuk as he paid for those tickets only to be dissed after the concert was finished!"

 

The paparazzi guy chuckled at Eunhyuk's miseries but panicked as he watched the silver Lexus pull out into traffic.

 

"Oh ! When did she leave the parking lot?! Damn might as well follow her!," the paparazzi guy exclaimed shifting his tiny car into drive. A big black cloud of smoke coughed out of the exhaust pipe as he tailed the meteorologist back to her apartment building.

 

 

 

 

Home Decor & More 

 

 

Sunny arrived to open the store by herself and to log in inventory data without any interruptions. She spent the next 30 minutes typing sales statistics in a detailed email to the corporate employers only stopping to take sips from her coffee thermal.

 

The main door slid open and the CEO walked in with sunglasses on, bagel in hand, and a huge cup of Starbucks coffee. Sunny watched from the security camera on her laptop, shaking her head in dismay.

 

"Obviously hungover but of course I know this since I had to her home," the store manager complained under her breath.

 

Sunny stopped typing and leaned back in her chair preparing to face whatever obstacle Hwasa threw at her today.

 

The office door clicked open and the CEO quietly tiptoed to the cash office, only the sound of her keys jingling could be heard.

 

Sunny rolled her eyes as she knew Hwasa noticed her car in the parking lot. The store manager waited a few minutes before reassuming her typing before she was interrupted by a light knock on her office door.

 

 

She jumped but steadied her breathing as she invited Hwasa in.

 

The CEO opened the door a crack to peek inside then opened the door wide.

 

"Sorry to disturb you but I wanted to apologize for my unprofessional behavior last night," Hwasa said with worry in her eyes. "I didn't expect to drink as much as I did and I will reassure you that frequently getting tanked at bars is not a common occurence of mine. The possibility of losing a high standing position I worked so hard for seemed to stress me out."

 

Sunny crossed her arms eyeing the CEO from head to toe watching her hands shake, swaying from side to side, the bloodshot eyes, and the badly applied make-up.

 

Sunny handed Hwasa a tissue, "You have lipstick on your teeth."

 

The CEO blushed and quickly covered , "Thank you."

 

The store manager propped her elbows on her desk, "Let me ask you something which is do you remember the discussion we had on the drive to your house.....excuse me......mansion?"

 

Hwasa chuckled at the dig that Sunny worked twice as hard as the CEO if not more but she wasn't living in luxury like her.

 

Hwasa ruffled her hair, "Bits and pieces."

 

Sunny shook her head, "I see......well to recap you revealed some incriminating information surrounding what lead to Wendy climbing the ladder without securing the brake in place."

 

"Hold on a second! Are you trying to blame me for the fall?! Check the security tapes as it is clear a customer accidentally pushed his shopping cart into the ladder! An accident and anything more is reaching!," Hwasa argued in a rised voice.

 

Sunny held up her hands in surrender, "Do not get loud with me as you confessed to making ual advances to the young supervisor!"

 

The CEO twisted her face in disgust, "Are you trying to make me sound like a predator or e?!"

 

Sunny snickered, "No of course not! Wendy is 21 years old which makes her an adult but I do believe you use your position of power to intimidate a college student into a ual relationship! You said yourself that your girlfriend is out of town! Isn't that why you told the bartender to call me! Out of sight, out of mind, am I right?"

 

Hwasa drew in a deep breath as she clenched her hands into fists attempting to control the urge to punch the store manager in the face.

 

"So what did you dangle in front of Wendy in order to convince her to sleep with you? It probably wasn't much since she didn't go through with it!," Sunny chuckled as she shuffled a stack of papers. "But what did you expect I mean she is dating the gorgeous, Bae Irene."

 

The CEO pierced her lips shut.

 

"No response? Well I must continue to log in the store data since who knows if this will be my last job requirement before I'm fired!," Sunny remarked focusing on her laptop screen but stopped to make eye contact with Hwasa. "One last thing if you think there won't be any legal repercussions from Wendy's accident then you are mistaken as Wendy's mother hired investigators to collect evidence concerning the fall."

 

Hwasa straightened her suit jacket, "Let her investigate all she wants as I have nothing to hide as I said before it was an accident, I'm innocent."

 

The CEO didn't wait for Sunny's reply as she sharply her heel and stormed out of the store manager's office to hide in the cash office for her 10 hour shift.

 

 

 

 

Downtown Seoul

 

 

Irene pulled her silver Lexus into her designated parking but did a double take when she spotted a red 2013 Jeep Wrangler parked across the lot.

 

"Looks like Yeri's car," the raven hair woman said as she grabbed her handbag from the passenger's seat before exiting th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter