Day Eleven

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wendy woke with bloodshot eyes to her alarm blaring at 4:30am.

 

She turned it off and buried herself in the covers. She contemplated staying in bed for the rest of the day.

 

An image of Irene holding her purple wool sweater flashed before her eyes. Her lips curled into a smile recalling how a simple gesture of lending a piece of clothing to keep her girlfriend company made Wendy blush.

 

"It seems unbelievable," the blonde mumbled as she sat up and stretched.

 

Never would Wendy have predicted that an internship at her favorite news studio would lead to a romantic relationship with the famous meteorologist.

 

"I have to pinch myself everyday," she said as she gathered her clothes before heading to the bathroom.

 

15 minutes later, Sejeong opened the door with a key Wendy made for her.

 

She looked around to see ruffle bedsheets, empty beer bottle on the kitchen counter, and the sound of water running in the bathroom.

 

"Still getting ready," Sejeong shrugged as she made her way over to the laptop sitting on a side table.

 

"I can check my email while I wait," she remarked as she hit the power button. 

 

The screen lit up with a wallpaper shot of the best friends smiling for the camera taken during orientation.

 

"Cute," Sejeong smiled but her attention was drawn to a new filing folder titled "Research."

 

She ran to the bathroom door and pressed her ear against the wood to make sure Wendy was occupied. Once the steady sound of water echoed in the bathroom along with her best friend's humming, Sejeong was certain it was safe to snoop through the blonde's search history.

 

She ran back to click on the folder icon.

 

"Okay Wendy let's see what research you are conducting," Sejeong snickered as a file opened to a video player.

 

"Bending The Boss," Sejeong read a little confused.

 

She hit the play button where a young woman appeared on screen in an office setting shuffling a stack of papers. She was venting to another female how their tyrant employer was overloading them with work. The women were interrupted by another woman calling the lead female to enter the office.

 

An older sophisticated woman appeared on the screen and cornered the young female in her office by shutting the door and standing over her. The boss spoke inches from the younger woman's face and started kissing her neck.

 

Sejeong's mouth dropped open.

 

"Is this what I think it is.....," she trailed off finding it comical to come across a o on Wendy's laptop.

 

The younger woman pushed the boss on the desk and kissed her roughly while running her hand up her skirt. Both women were fighting for dominance while .

 

Sejeong fanned herself.

 

She was distracted by the look of horror on the blonde's face as she stood in the doorway drying her neck with a towel.

 

"W-what a-are you watching?!," Wendy half stuttered, half shouted.

 

Sejeong laughed as she cocked her head to get a better view of the action on screen.

 

"Yeah she sure is bending her boss," Sejeong said mesmerized by scene.

 

Wendy closed the laptop and placed it on her bed.

 

"Must you go through my things!," Wendy demanded as her chest heaved up and down.

 

Sejeong bolted up to encase her best friend in a back hug.

 

"Don't be mad! You know you can trust me! We are adults now so of course we're curious about ," Sejeong exclaimed as she felt the blonde relax in her arms.

 

Wendy sighed as she released herself from her friend's grip.

 

"It's different for you because you had but I'm still a ," Wendy said her eyes looking downward as she walked to the kitchen to brew a pot of coffee.

 

Sejeong rested her arms on the counter top as she stared at Wendy.

 

"C'mon Wendy remember what I told you about my first time and how awkward it was," Sejeong smiled trying to lighten the mood.

 

Wendy snickered.

 

"Yeah didn't you and your boyfriend knock your heads together?"

 

Sejeong laughed picturing how nervous the young couple were.

 

"To be truthful that was the least embarrassing moment from our time together."

 

Wendy sipped from her mug with shaky hands.

 

Sejeong extended her arm to grab the blonde's arm.

 

"Hey, are you worried Irene will be disappointed in you because you're a ?," Sejeong asked rubbing her thumb over Wendy's arm.

 

Wendy cleared .

 

"Isn't it obvious? She is older and she was involved with four serious relationships which of course included ," Wendy huffed placing her mug in the sink.

 

Sejeong stirred her creamer in the coffee clanking the spoon against the mug.

 

"Tell me this Wendy if those relationships were so great than why is she involved with you? Didn't you say Irene only dated men before you and her became official? It sounds like to me she was playing a part by acting like the attentive girlfriend but thankfully she came to her senses and decided to follow her heart."

 

Wendy stared into space letting the words of reason sink in.

 

"I suppose you're right.......," the blonde whispered as she walked to the coat closet to grab her sand colored pea coat.

 

Sejeong rounded the counter to place her mug in the sink and stood in front of her best friend. She pinched Wendy's cheeks.

 

"I can assured you Irene wouldn't be able to resist this adorable face," Sejeong cooed.

 

Wendy backed up weirded out.

 

"Let's head out so I don't miss my ride to the studio," Wendy instructed grabbing her tote bag.

 

Sejeong stepped into the hallway.

 

"So the y Lexus isn't going to pick you up," Sejeong teased breaking into giggles.

 

Wendy shook her head as her face became red.

 

"Whatever just start walking," Wendy said as she turned the key to lock the door.

 

 

 

Irene slowly opened her eyes to the sound of her alarm beeping.

 

She ran her fingers over the soft fabric of the sweater recalling the peaceful dream she had. She imagined her and Wendy driving along the coast line to spend the day at Jeju Island. The weather is bright and sunny with the sun roof open on the Lexus as Irene is driving with Wendy in the passenger's seat. The wind is blowing, music is playing, both women are wearing sunglasses and big smiles.

 

Wendy is wearing the wool sweater, jeans, and sandals as Irene is wearing a white tank top, white collar shirt, jeans, and flip flops. The lovers lay out a blanket as the blonde sets a picnic basket with a bottle of wine, two champagne flutes, and chocolate covered strawberries.

 

The two women toast and sip the wine as they stare intensely at one another. Irene opens the container of strawberries and bites seductively into one before placing the rest of the strawberry in the blonde's mouth. Wendy wiggles her eyebrows as she climbs on top of the meteorologist to passionately kiss her. The make-out session stops as a cold breeze whips by to which the lovers break into laughter. They sit side by side watching the waves roll back and forth. Irene shifted close to Wendy to snuggle into her chest to rest against the warm fabric. Wendy rubbed the older woman's back and kissed the top of her head.

 

"I could stay like this forever," Irene said before the beeping of her alarm woke her.

 

Irene ruffled her hair and stretched her arms.

 

She hugged the sweater.

 

"The only thing better than that dream would be waking up to Wendy," she remarked as she snuffed the lingering scent of the younger woman's perfume.

 

"I will ask if she works tonight and if she doesn't then maybe she can stay over."

 

Irene blushed imagining how comfortable it felt to fall asleep in the intern's arms.

 

She folded the sweater and placed it on her bed before entering the bathroom.

 

 

 

Wendy gulped as she approached the group of interns waiting for Ilhoon to pull up to the pavement.

 

Joy towered over the group in her 6 inch heel boots, jeans, kelly green collar shirt, and black pea coat. She wore her hair down that flowed in the wind making her appear ethereal.

 

Wendy wished she reacted faster than she did as Joy locked eyes with her and the blonde jerked her head in the opposite direction but it was too late. Joy smirked as she slowly turned around while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

"Just like I suspected she can't resist me," Joy said in her head.

 

Ilhoon stopped the van close to the curb that the interns jumped back.

 

"What a lunatic!," Jaemin remarked.

 

"Learn to drive!," added Jaehyun.

 

 

Ilhoon ignored the insults as he pulled the sliding door open and motioned the students to fill the seats.

 

Joy was the first to enter the van purposely sticking out her .

 

"DAMN!," Jaehyun and Jaemin yelled at the same time.

 

"Well....," Ilhoon tried to change the subject.

 

Jaemin and Jaehyun took seats near Joy who mentioned the seat next to her was reserved.

 

Jaehyun frowned, "Really? For who?"

 

"Wendy," Joy said patting the seat.

 

Wendy was standing outside the van listening to Today's Hits on Pandora through her earpods.

 

Her phone buzzed with a new message.

 

Morning, missed you last night but having your sweater to sleep with felt like you were right next to me. I still prefer the real thing.

 

Wendy smiled.

 

I wish I could've kept you company so let me check my schedule for this weekend and we can plan a sleepover.

 

Wendy typed back before putting her phone in her coat pocket.

 

Her phone buzzed again.

 

😘😘😘

 

The intern snickered as she put her phone away.

 

Joy observed Wendy's cheerful mood from looking at her phone which made her frown. She quickly composed herself to appear unbothered when the blonde entered the van.

 

"Saved you a seat," Joy said sitting cross legged patting the seat next to her.

 

Jaemin, Jaehyun, Elkie, and Yeeun were waiting with baited breath for Wendy's response.

 

Wendy scanned the van for any available seats, she froze when she made eye contact with Ilhoon in the rearview mirror. He tilted his head to indicate he was waiting for her to sit so he could put the van into drive.

 

Joy sat with her arms crossed and swinging her leg back and forth impatiently.

 

"Right.....," Wendy said in a small voice as she took the window seat in the back row.

 

From the moment, the blonde sat down she was itching for the ride to be over. Joy sat so close that Wendy hardly had space to stretch her legs.

 

"Sorry I hate to barely give you any breathing room but he is sending me strange looks," Joy whispered close to Wendy's ear.

 

Wendy leaned forward to witness Jaemin biting his lip as he eyed Joy from head to toe.

 

Wendy chuckled.

 

Joy poked Wendy in the stomach.

 

"Shut up! It isn't funny! How would you like it if it was happening to you?"

 

She gripped onto the blonde's arm.

 

"Good thing you're here to run interference," Wendy remarked as she yanked her arm away.

 

Joy sneered, "You're mean!"

 

Wendy turned the volume up on her earpods and faced the window for the remainder of the ride.

 

 

 

As the van pulled into the garage, Wendy perked up in her seat when she spotted Irene walking to the elevators.

 

She smiled but her expression darkened when Eunhyuk appeared out of nowhere yelling for Irene to hold the door as they rode the elevator together.

 

Wendy shook the negative thoughts away.

 

"Stop thinking like that she is my girlfriend and Eunhyuk can try but she chose me," the blonde recited in her head.

 

What she didn't consider was Joy watching her every movement.

 

"So shrimp is attracted to Seoul's famous meteorologist," she thought chuckling. "Not with me here."

 

She moved her leg to touch the blonde's who pretended to be engrossed in her music. Wendy slowly moved her leg away but avoided looking in Joy's direction.

 

"Such immature behavior," Wendy thought.

 

She was dating the woman of her dreams and no one was going to stop that from happening.

 

Ilhoon put the van in reverse to park with the front sticking out.

 

"At least your parking skills are decent," Jaehyun remarked from the second row.

 

Ilhoon shot him a puzzled look.

 

"What is that suppose to mean?"

 

Jaehyun turned red.

 

"Oh nothing," he said as he slid the door open and jumped out.

 

Joy faced Wendy and tapped her chin.

 

"Wonder if Irene and Eunhyuk made out in the elevator before heading to the studio," Joy said with a devilish smile on her face.

 

Wendy clenched her fist.

 

"Who knows maybe it is a ritual before taping? What do you think shrimp?," Joy asked propping her elbow on Wendy's shoulder.

 

Wendy shoved Joy's elbow aside.

 

Joy her teeth.

 

"I think you are mistaken," Wendy said as she exited the van.

 

Joy laughed.

 

"We'll see about that."

 

Ilhoon took roll call and lead the interns to the elevators.

 

Wendy decided to avoid Joy at all costs for her clinginess and now her delusions about Irene and Eunhyuk.

 

"Has she been hanging around Jennie?," the blonde snickered.

 

During the elevator ride, Joy and Wendy stood far apart as Joy stared intensely at Wendy as a way to intimidate her.

 

Wendy noticed Joy sending her threatening looks from the corner of her eye but she didn't dare look at the underclassman directly.

 

Wendy gulped as she looked at her feet.

 

A chesire smile crossed Joy's face knowing she had this power over the blonde.

 

When the elevator doors opened, Wendy sprinted for the news floor.

 

Joy shook her head in amusement.

 

Ilhoon stopped the group of interns in front of the entrance.

 

"I wanted to take this opportunity to inform all of you that the main producer has issued immediate expulsion of the next intern who behaves in a disruptive matter as the time and effort it takes to film a news segment is costly."

 

Wendy crossed her arms as she eyed all of the underclassmen.

 

It was now or never to fulfil her dream of working in broadcasting and here she was placed in a group of students who didn't take it serious.

 

As Wendy focused on the freshmen and sophomores, she paused as she locked eyes with Joy.

 

Her expression turned stern remembering how Joy acted unprofessional on her first day.

 

Joy placed her hands on her hips while cocking her eyebrow.

 

Wendy chuckled for was she suppose to be afraid of this freshman?

 

Ilhoon ended the pep talk with one last plea for the interns to act as if they deserve to be part of the internship.

 

Wendy entered the news studio first as Joy lingered behind.

 

 

 

Earlier in the elevators, Irene held her hand in the way to stop the doors from closing.

 

Eunhyuk ran in, "Thanks for stopping the doors from closing, I owe you one."

 

Irene was scrolling through her phone.

 

"No big deal."

 

Eunhyuk stepped closer.

 

"So are you ready for the BoA concert this weekend?"

 

Irene froze in place as she completely forgot.

 

"Wow I forgot it was so soon," she mumbled as she went back to browsing her emails.

 

Eunhyuk felt perplexed as he waited long enough for some alone time with Irene to turn on his charms and hopefully convince her to be his girlfriend.

 

He faced Irene to watch her pull out her compact mirror and apply blush to her face.

 

"You're already beautiful without makeup," Eunhyuk said under his breath.

 

"Excuse me?," Irene asked hearing Eunhyuk loud and clear.

 

"Nothing," mumbled Eunhyuk.

 

The elevator doors opened and Irene exited first to avoid anymore awkward interactions.

 

Eunhyuk cleared his throat as he reminded himself to wait until the concert to make his move. He strolled over to the green screen as Kai left his makeup chair.

 

"Make any progress?," Kai asked wiggling his eyebrows.

 

Eunhyuk eyed Kai suspiciously.

 

"Why do you want to know? Oh that's right so you can snake your way in if I fail."

 

Eunhyuk stormed to the snack the table with Kai trailing behind.

 

"C'mon dude you're still upset about that? I was trying to motivate you to step up your game with Irene. I thought if you saw another guy flirting with her that you would grow some balls and ask her out."

 

Eunhyuk snickered.

 

"You're such a liar! You were only thinking of yourself but thankfully she saw right through you and rejected you!"

 

Kai laughed as he poked Eunhyuk in the chest.

 

"You think you're better than me when you are attending the concerts as friends! Pathetic!"

 

Kai turned to walk away but Eunhyuk locked him in a headlock.

 

Kai swung his arms around in an attempt to free himself.

 

The interns entered the studio as the two anchors were engaged in a physical altercation.

 

"LET KAI GO!," yelled Yeeun and Elkie in unison.

 

Jennie exited her dressing to witness the two men fighting, rolled her eyes and shut the door to her dressing room.

 

Jin tried to separate the two men but left when his hair was m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter