Day Eight

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Irene pulled to a screeching halt in her designated parking space outside of her apartment building.

 

She choked back the tears that were threatening to spill out at any minute.

 

"Why didn't I just tell her how I felt when we had dinner together?!," Irene questioned herself as she gripped the steering wheel tight that her knuckles turned white. "I let time slip by and now she is interested in someone else!"

 

She wiped the tears streaking down her face like a waterfall.

 

She grabbed a tissue from her handbag and dried her face before entering the apartment building that was guarded by a doorman.

 

On the walk to the entrance, Irene came to the conclusion that Wendy was young and probably wasn't keen on settling down with one person. 

 

"Maybe she is inexperienced and doesn't know what gender she likes?," Irene reasoned but the looks she gave the meteorologist and the reaction the blonde had to the business woman blowing her a kiss said otherwise.

 

"Wendy definitely likes females," Irene confirmed as a small smile appeared. 

 

She frowned as she concluded, "But does she like me?"

 

The raven haired woman huffed as she pulled the handle on the glass door and smiled at the doorman before hitting the up button on the elevator to the floor where her penthouse is located.

 

As she turned the key in the lock, she was overcome with a heavy feeling of dizziness. She held her head and squinted her eyes as she moaned from the pounding on her left temple. Irene stumbled to the cabinet above the sink in the kitchen and swallowed two Advil tablets before deciding to retire for the night. She glanced at her phone contemplating whether to text the blonde intern or not. But the unanswered messages made up her mind for her as she shut off her phone for the night.

 

 

The Next Day

 

A feeling of excitement took over Sejeong to know that her and Wendy mended their relationship. They were best friends since the age of 13 and any disagreements that would arise wouldn't create a rift in their friendship. So Sejeong had to admit that her obsession with becoming popular at university blinded her focus to what was important which were loyal friends. Wendy went to the sorority party when she finished a long week of working and balancing an internship and schoolwork at the same time. Sejeong didn't take into account that Wendy was worn out and exhausted from a packed schedule. So from this moment forward, Sejeong put a plan in motion to let Wendy take control of their friendship even if it meant pursuing the famous, Bae Irene.

 

Sejeong snickered, "Sure let's see how that works out."

 

She paused from knocking on Wendy's front door and pressed her ear to the wooden surface. She swore she hear her best friend singing along to "Heart Attack (Chuu)" by Loona. Once the song was finish, the beginning chorus started again.

 

Sejeong chuckled and covered but it was too late as the music stopped and the door swung open to a wide eyed Wendy in a pair of jeans and bra. Obviously in the middle of changing into her outfit for the day as Sejeong pushed her way into the apartment.

 

"Geez put some clothes on," teased Sejeong.

 

Wendy's face turned bright red as she gave a shy smile.

 

"So are we attending class today or are you staying in singing to Loona instead?," Sejeong asked with her arms crossed.

 

"Oh you heard me?," Wendy said as she made a beeline to the bathroom to finish up her eye make-up.

 

"Who doesn't know that song? It is the one of gayest music video in K-pop," Sejeong remarked pouring herself a cup of coffee.

 

Wendy dropped her mascara brush in the sink when she heard her best friend say that and laughed off the comment.

 

"Let me guess you were fantasizing about a famous meteorologist who you are fortunate enough to see in person at the news studio you currently are interning at.....Am I right?," asked Sejeong standing in the doorway to the bathroom with a big smile.

 

Wendy went about reorganizing her beauty products but her shaky hands prevented her from seeming composed to her best friend.

 

The blonde cleared before she spoke.

 

"Actually there is another female I have my eye on."

 

Sejeong's mouth hung open and her eyes bulged.

 

"You're kidding, right?," she asked. "Please tell me it isn't SinB and we fought for nothing?"

 

Wendy chuckled as she applied another coat of mascara to her eyelashes.

 

"Well you haven't met this female, I mean she is sophisticated, classy, empowered, and well-respected," Wendy said while facing the mirror.

 

Sejeong eyed her friend suspiciously, "Sounds like Bae Irene to me."

 

The blonde laughed, "Yeah I guess you can say I have a type, I'm telling you the new CEO left me speechless."

 

"CEO? Where at the news station?," Sejeong asked confused.

 

"No at my part-time job, Home Decor & More," Wendy said. "Or as you refer to it as the old lady store."

 

A light bulb lit up above Sejeong's head, "Oh yeah that place!"

 

Wendy rolled her eyes.

 

Sejeong playfully pushed her arm, "Just kidding, I love to rile you up about your retail job. So do you have a picture of this amazing woman who shifted your attention from the stunning, Bae Irene. She must really be something special because if I was into females, believe me I would be crushing on Bae Irene too."

 

Wendy retrieved her laptop from the desk and placed it on Sejeong's lap. Her best friend was mesmerized by the red carpet photos taken of attractive CEO, the blonde googled last night after her shift.

 

"Wow Wendy! She is gorgeous so tell me everything," Sejeong exclaimed. "About Ahn Hyejin it says."

 

Wendy made her way to the kitchen to stir her coffee that was placed on the counter.

 

"Isn't much to tell except that I escorted her to her car last night and she thanked me by blowing a kiss," Wendy continued to stir her coffee as she felt her cheeks heat up recalling the interaction with the attractive CEO. She faced her friend to be taken back by the serious expression.

 

"Does this mean you are over Bae Irene?," Sejeong knitted her eyebrows.

 

"No I wouldn't say that," Wendy said as she leaned on the counter top. "It is just pure attraction I mean I'm not in a relationship with either woman so it isn't serious."

 

Sejeong directed an intense stare, "Yes but if you had to choose between the two of them, who would you choose?"

 

The blonde rested her chin on her fist as she pondered who she would eventually date.

 

She in some deep breaths, "I can't answer that as I'm not really familiar with either woman."

 

Sejeong cocked her eyebrow, "Are you sure about that? You had two meal dates with Irene and still you are unsure of pursuing her? What gives?"

 

Wendy walked to the coat closet to retrieve her sand colored pea coat.

 

"Bae Irene is still a mystery to me, she has meal dates with me but she is attending a BoA concert with her co-anchor, Eunhyuk."

 

Sejeong's face twisted in disgust, "The sports analyst? Not to sound rude as he isn't bad looking but he is no Kai! Now that man is a work of art! To each their own I suppose!"

 

Wendy chuckled at her friend's reaction, "No worries, we are at university so there are plenty of opportunities to find love even within our age range."

 

"So you are saying that SinB has a chance," her best friend joked.

 

Wendy threw her arm around Sejeong's shoulder as they exited the apartment.

 

"I didn't say that."

 

The best friends burst into laughter as they walked to the music building.

 

 

 

It was a typical Monday morning at the news station, Jennie sat irritated in her make-up chair surrounded by four stylists fussing over her appearance.

 

Kai was sitting at the anchor's desk engrossed in his phone.

 

Jin, in front of the green screen recording a livestream for his fans.

 

Eunhyuk skimming over the local sports teams standings on his tablet.

 

Irene decided to slip into her make-up chair undetected since her fellow anchors were distracted.

 

Jennie was the first person to notice her presence, "How was your cousin's baby shower?"

 

Irene winced as she remembered how she mentioned she was busy over the weekend with a family related event to decline Jennie's invitation to go clubbing.

 

The meteorologist dreaded her colleagues feeling sorry for her still being single especially since she was close to 30. But what they weren't aware of was she had her sights set on someone already.

 

"Wendy"

 

She whispered in her head letting the name of the intern linger on her lips.

 

The image of the blonde clenching her chest to control her pounding heart after the business woman blew her a kiss played before her eyes. The raven hair woman flicked a make-up brush on the table while pouting her lips.

 

"That bad?," Jennie asked assuming Irene was responding to her question.

 

Irene blinked and cleared , "Sorry no the shower was great and I had the chance to reconnect with family so I can't complain."

 

Besides Irene didn't trust Jennie enough to complain about her mother setting her up with her coworker's available son and her revelation to her cousin about being attracted to a younger female. As far as she knew Jennie believed she wanted to date Ilhoon, how she came up with that idea left the older woman puzzled.

 

Eunhyuk approached Irene's chair, "So it is less than two weeks away for the BoA concert."

 

Irene faced the mirror as the stylist hair, "And your point is?"

 

There was a hint of annoyance in the meteorologist's voice.

 

The sports analyst backed up a little frightened.

 

Did he say something wrong?

 

As far as he was concern, he was nothing but courteous to the raven hair woman so what was with the attitude?

 

He huffed and his heel as he decided to avoid her for the rest of the day.

 

"It might be her time of the month," Eunhyuk reasoned as he returned to the anchor's desk.

 

Irene was receiving the finishing touches on her outfit as Ilhoon escorted the interns into the news studio. 

 

Yeeun was in front followed by Elkie followed by Jaemin and lastly Jaehyun. 

 

But no Wendy.

 

"Great now she is skipping out on the internship because of me," huffed Irene as she surveyed the white dress she hand selective in order to impress the blonde intern. The dress had gold trim and she paired it with a pair of black heels with gold tips. When selecting the dress, she didn't intent to capture the attention of her male coworkers as Kai and Eunhyuk were chatting at the news desk while eyeing her from head to toe.

 

The meteorologist released a heavy sigh as she smoothed her dress and turning around to survey her appearance in the mirror.

 

"I really need to talk to her otherwise she will continue to think I'm straight," she thought as she witnessed Kai and Eunhyuk exchanging a high-five.

 

Jennie strutted over with a y expression on her face.

 

"What is the special occasion? Do you feel the need to spice up the morning broadcast? Don't take this the wrong way as the dress looks great on you but isn't it too elegant for a taping?"

 

Irene felt her hands shaking she didn't consider that upgrading her wardrobe selection would spark curiosity from her fellow anchors especially Jennie. Since she took on the role of matchmaker and failed miserably in pairing Irene with Ilhoon. So now it seemed she was watching Irene closely.

 

"If she only knew I was staring at the blonde intern and not the interns' supervisor," Irene said in her mind and she concluded Jennie should never find out. She imagined the harsh criticism she might receive from the younger woman as a result. 

 

Irene excused herself to study her notes by the green screen when she was interrupted by overpowering scent of musky men's cologne that evaded her airwaves. She coughed into her hand as she directed her eyes to come face to face with Kai.

 

"I know we don't speak to each other that much," Kai started as he drew in a breath. "Well I must say that is a very beautiful dress and it suits you." 

 

He let his eyes scan her from her side parted long hair to the pointed tips of her heels.

 

Irene gulped as she believed her mind was playing tricks on her.

 

"Could this be for real?"

 

"Is Kai hitting on me?"

 

"What about Jennie?"

 

"I thought he was friends with Eunhyuk? Some friend he is!"

 

"T-thank y-you but I want to rehearse my lines right now," Irene stuttered.

 

Kai threw his hands up in defeat and backed away slowly.

 

He winked before he walked back to the anchor's desk.

 

A loud bang directed everyone's attention to the spot Eunhyuk was standing in with a clenched fist and beet red face.

 

He was breathing heavy as he was holding his fist that was throbbing as a result of hitting the wall.

 

Ilhoon ran out of the producer's office in a panic.

 

"What is going on out here?!"

 

The interns froze in place and stared at the news staff.

 

Jennie approached Eunhyuk and led him by the shoulders to the kitchen to search for a ice pack.

 

She directed a dirty look at Kai who was preoccupied flicking through his phone.

 

Irene swallowed the lump in .

 

But why should she be nervous as she had nothing to do with this.

 

She wore this dress for Wendy and not Kai or Eunhyuk.

 

If either man were brave enough to ask her out she would gladly refuse.

 

As a matter of fact, Irene hoped they would ask her so she can reject them and it will all be over.

 

She focused back on studying her notes until she observed Ilhoon gathering the interns by the snack table.

 

The raven hair woman wasn't the type to eavesdrop but curiosity got the better of her and before she knew it she was standing a few feet away from the group. She was picking at the fruit that was set out on the table and poured a glass of juice as she listened to every word Ilhoon said.

 

"Elkie it is your turn to spend the day in the control room. The rest of you will assist on the news floor and do me a big favor and stay focused today. We are missing one intern, Wendy called me last night to inform me she won't be here until later if she makes it at all due to her having an exam to take."

 

Ilhoon stopped as an apple rolled across the floor.

 

"Sorry didn't mean to interrupt," Irene said as she picked the apple off of the floor. She was holding the apple but she dropped it when she heard that the blonde intern might miss a day at the news studio.

 

Irene released a huge sigh of relief for she concluded it wasn't her that Wendy was avoiding but that she had an exam to complete.

 

But just as she felt relaxed the flirty exchange between Wendy and the business woman flashed before her eyes.

 

She crumbled the napkin she was holding and forcefully threw it in the waste bin.

 

The meteorologist sipped the last drop of orange juice with her back facing the two male interns.

 

"So do you believe that load of crap about the blonde chick needing to take an exam?," Jaemin asked.

 

Jaehyun snickered, "Not one bit the whole campus knows she made out with the sorority queen Friday night."

 

Jaemin laughed, "SinB is hot! If I had a make-out session with a babe like her, I wouldn't hide my face! Hell I would tell the whole school about it!"

 

Jaehyun hit his friend on the chest as he lowered his voice, "Look at it this way, it was a passionate, hot kiss shared between two females."

 

There was silence.

 

Irene started to sweat, afraid to turn around to witness the look of disgust from the young interns.

 

She turned around anyway to see the boys smiling devilishly at each other.

 

"Hot right?!," Jaehyun proclaimed.

 

"Very hot!," replied Jaemin as he slapped his friend on the shoulder. "My only regret is someone didn't record it."

 

Irene almost choked on her orange juice before she tossed the paper cup into the waste bin.

 

She decided she heard enough and strutted back to the green screen but came to a halt as she caught the end of the conversation.

 

"No unfortunately there isn't a video but I heard there are pictures!," Jaehyun responded as he and Jaemin went back to cleaning the news studio while glancing at their phones every now and then for notifications.

 

Irene stalked to her dressing room and shut the door.

 

Her heart was pounding and the adrenaline was pumping through her body.

 

She was extremely jealous but did she have the right to be?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter