Day Thirteen

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The white Volkswagen beetle came to a stop in a marked parking space with the silver Lexus right beside it.

 

Irene quickly left her car and rushed to Wendy's side.

 

Wendy clicked the lock on the driver's side door when she jumped from a tug on her arm.

 

Irene laced her fingers and rested her head on the blonde's shoulder.

 

"It's okay, I'm here," Wendy cooed as she ran her fingers through her girlfriend's ponytail.

 

The meteorologist rubbed her face onto the intern's black cotton sweater.

 

Wendy shivered, "It's freezing out here so let's head upstairs."

 

Irene nodded her head yes as she reached out her hand to wipe the lipstick mark she left on the corner of her girlfriend's lips.

 

The blonde chuckled, "I guess we got carried away."

 

The older woman smirked, "I can never get enough of you."

 

Wendy smiled as she led the way to the front lobby through an old wooden door that creaked loudly.

 

As the girlfriends entered the lobby and walked toward the elevator.

 

The raven hair woman's eyes darted around the lobby to take in the dim light with flies circling it to spiderwebs on all four ceiling corners to the musky smell of moth balls.

 

The tiled floor appeared to be repaired in the early  2000's as some of the tiles were chipped.

 

Irene leaned into Wendy as they boarded the ancient elevator and the blonde dragged the iron gate across to lock it in place. The meteorologist suspected this apartment building was once a hotel with a bellhop dating back to the late 1940's.

 

The ride up to the 4th floor was quiet and Wendy was overwhelmed with negative thoughts.

 

"She is too quiet maybe she wants to leave."

 

"Why tonight of all nights does the lobby have to look and smell like that!"

 

"No I'm exaggerating as she mentioned it doesn't matter how small my apartment is, only that we feel the same way about each other."

 

"Besides this is all I can afford for a full-time student and part-time employee."

 

The elevator jerked to a stop.

 

"We're here at the 4th floor," Wendy instructed as she unlatched the iron gate and stepped out to hold the door open.

 

Irene stepped off the elevator but clutched the pea coat close as a gush of cold air blew by.

 

Wendy turned red in embarrassment.

 

"The heating system malfunctions from time to time," the blonde stated scratching the back of her neck.

 

The meteorologist gave the small woman a warm smile.

 

"No need to apologize for I'm excited to spend the night at my girlfriend's apartment and see how she lives."

 

The older woman wrapped her arms around the left arm of the blonde.

 

Wendy smiled, "Okay I hope you still think that after stepping inside my one bedroom studio apartment."

 

Irene chuckled, "Everyone struggles at some point and besides you're a college student so I don't expect you to live in a penthouse like me."

 

The lovers strolled down the hallway with the raven hair woman clinging to the blonde before they stood in front of a wooden door with the number 403 engraved above a peephole. The intern inserted her key and turned the bronze doorknob to open the door.

 

Wendy entered first and flipped on the light switch.

 

Irene shivered from the cold temperature in the room where she could see her breath.

 

The blonde ran across the living room to the thermostat to turn the heat on.

 

"Sorry to save money I keep the heat off when I'm not home," Wendy said as she rubbed Irene's arms in an attempt to warm her up.

 

Irene caressed the blonde's cheek and placed a soft kiss on her heart-shaped lips.

 

"Baby stop apologizing and acting nervous I'm here to spend time with you, not to judge you," the older woman walked to the coat closet and hung up the sand colored pea coat. "Can I use your bathroom?"

 

Wendy smirked, "Sure the next door over."

 

"Be right back," the meteorologist said as she clicked the door shut.

 

The younger woman stood in place for a moment before she snapped back to reality.

 

"What should I cook for us to eat?," Wendy started rummaging through her kitchen cabinets and leafing through cookbooks. She stopped as a thought popped into her head.

 

"Why don't we have something to drink first?," she remarked as she bent over to browse the wine selection she stored in her refrigerator.  She grabbed a red bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and a white bottle of Moscato. 

 

The blonde held up the two bottles, "Perfect."

 

She set the bottles on the countertop as the raven hair woman exited the bathroom.

 

"You're just in time to help me decide.....,"but Wendy didn't finish her sentence as Irene grabbed her by the collar and smashed their lips together. Wendy tilted her head to on her girlfriend's bottom lip. Irene inserted her tongue at the same time she was ing the intern's green collar shirt.

 

Wendy's eyes bulged and she backed away. Irene pouted from the lost of contact.

 

The intern ran her fingers through her hair, "As much as I want to go all the way with you. I also want to keep my promise of taking you on a date before we....you know....have ." Wendy finished saying in a low voice.

 

Irene laughed, "Could you be anymore adorable?" She pinched the blonde's cheek.

 

"Ouch! Please be gentle with my face," Wendy rubbed the cheek Irene pinched.

 

The meteorologist cupped her face and kissed both cheeks.

 

"There does that feel better?," the older woman asked locking eyes with the intern.

 

"Yes," Wendy replied in a small voice.

 

The blonde cleared , "So I was wondering which wine would you prefer to drink red or white." She held the two bottles as Irene held her chin in her hand contemplating.

 

"Red I guess," the raven hair woman said as she leaned against the countertop.

 

"Great!," exclaimed the small woman as she took two stemless wine glasses from one of the top cabinets. She paused when she felt Irene encased her in a tight back hug.

 

"Don't mind me I missed your scent, touch, laugh, and sight of you for the 3 hours I spent at the concert," Irene breathed on the back of her girlfriend's neck that sent tingles throughout her skin. The meteorologist rested her head in the dip of the back of the blonde's neck while shutting her eyes. She drew in a deep breath as she swayed while still attached to Wendy's back.

 

The intern poured two glasses of the red wine and spun around to face her girlfriend. Irene slowly fluttered her eyes open and gave Wendy a lazy smile.

 

Wendy rubbed her arms, "Are you tired? We can skip the wine for tonight and save it for another night."

 

The raven hair woman stretched her arms and ruffled her hair, "I must've underestimated how exhausted I am? Can I borrow a pair of pajamas to wear?"

 

"Yeah of course," Wendy took a sip of wine before placing the glass on the counter and walking toward her dresser to take out a pair of gray sweatpants, a white sweatshirt, and white fluffy socks.

 

Irene eyed the clothing suspiciously.

 

Wendy shrugged, "I live in an old building and my bedroom/living room/kitchen feels cold during the night."

 

The meteorologist laughed, "You weren't lying when you said your apartment is cramp. All of the basic needs fits into one room but I find it charming compared to my spacious penthouse."

 

Wendy fiddled with her fingers, "You think so." 

 

"I like it because it feels cozy," the raven hair woman lifted her beige sweater over her head and tossed it on the bed. Wendy was in shock to be faced with her girlfriend in a black lace bra. She excused herself to brush her teeth in the bathroom.

 

Once the small woman closed the door, she leaned her head against the wood while inhaling and exhaling a few times. She splashed cold water on her face and proceeded to brush her teeth.

 

Irene smirked knowing she had her girlfriend right where she wanted her. After she changed into the sweatshirt and sweatpants, she strolled around the apartment observing how the blonde lived before she met the famous weather woman.

 

She spied a picture collage in the right corner of the living room so she studied the photos. Wendy standing in between her parents which Irene assumed was her high school graduation with a bouquet of flowers in hand. Another photo was Wendy with an attractive girl probably her best friend in costume like they were participating in a school play. The last photo that grabbed Irene's attention was Wendy as an infant with a white hoodie on laughing at the camera. 

 

Irene smiled as she ran her finger over the last photo.

 

Wendy opened the bathroom door to witness her girlfriend admiring her photo collage.

 

"I memorized every photo on that collage so if any goes missing I know where to find it," the blonde joked leaning in the doorway with her arms crossed.

 

Irene pouted, "Are you sure I can't have this one because you are too cute!" She held up the baby Wendy photo.

 

The intern chuckled, "I'll make you a copy."

 

Wendy slid on her sock feet to her bed to straighten the bedspread on her queen size bed. She was wearing a navy blue sweatshirt hoodie, black sweatpants, and navy blue socks. Irene tied her hair into a bun before she entered the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face.

 

Wendy walked to the kitchen to pour the red wine back into the bottle and place the bottle in the refrigerator. After she walked back into the bedroom to adjust the drapes when she heard her phone vibrate from her handbag on the kitchen countertop.

 

Wendy furrowed her eyebrows wondering who would text her late at night. She clicked open the message option and fell open when she read the message.

 

I was serious when I said I was interested in you and you have nothing to worry about because my girlfriend is cool with me having multiple ual partners. If you don't want to join our group well it's your lost but if you want your store to receive a passable evaluation grade from me than I suggest you don't utter a word to Sunny or any of your coworkers. Hope to hear from you soon!😘😘

 

Wendy flipped her phone on the sofa in disgust from reading the obscene message Hwasa the CEO sent her. She ruffled her hair pacing back and forth.

 

"What do I do?! She outranks me as I'm only a supervisor and she oversees multiple accounts! What if she terminates me from the company if I refuse her offer?! Why me!"

 

The intern panicked mumbling to herself pacing in circles.

 

The raven hair woman watched from the doorway leaning forward trying to understand the words her girlfriend was speaking and make sense of her strange behavior.

 

Irene approached Wendy and stopped her pacing by holding her by the shoulders.

 

"Baby you're starting to scare me," Irene said as she lifted the blonde's chin to look into her eyes. "What happened when I was in the bathroom because you were completely fine before?" 

 

Wendy played with her fingers and stuttered, "W-well y-you see there is this woman who holds a lot of power at Home Decor & More and well s-she is......I mean.....she is attracted to me."

 

The meteorologist pursed her lips and cocked her eyebrow.

 

Wendy drew in a deep breath as she continued, "For some reason she figured out I'm gay and since then she has been making passes at me but I told her I'm in a committed relationship. But that hasn't slowed her down actually the reverse effect has taken place and she is more determined to make-out or have with me? And a moment ago, I received a text message that if I'm reading it right sounds like blackmail."

 

"Let me see," Irene instructed as Wendy pointed to the sofa where the phone laid.

 

A stern expression appeared on the meteorologist's face as she silently read the text message.

 

Wendy gulped as she nervously watched her girlfriend afraid of her reaction.

 

Irene handed the phone back to the blonde.

 

"The CEO in the white pantsuit, right?," the raven hair woman asked in a dry tone.

 

"Yes, wait how do you know what she was wearing that night?," Wendy seemed confused. "If I recall you didn't visit the store that night."

 

Irene panicked for she wasn't about to confess to sitting in the parking lot spying on Wendy before they became girlfriends. 

 

"I saw her wearing it to a business luncheon from a Google image," the older woman lied.

 

Wendy scratched her head, "Oh okay."

 

"So is she the woman harassing you? The CEO of the company?," the meteorologist asked guiding the blonde by the waist to sit on the edge of the bed.

 

Wendy hung her head in shame, "Yes the CEO is the person harassing and blackmailing me."

 

The older woman cupped her girlfriend's chin and guided her eyes to meet hers.

 

"Baby this is illegal and you shouldn't keep quiet instead you should report her to your store manager and then corporate."

 

The blonde looked back at her shaky hands, "I know that is the right thing to do but I don't want to cause any conflict at work."

 

Irene looked at Wendy in shock, "You shouldn't have to put up with unwanted ual advances made by the CEO. With your permission I will contact my lawyer and we can draw up the paperwork by the end of next week." 

 

Wendy's eyes bulged and she stuttered, "N-no I d-don't plan on suing anyone!" She stood up and headed to the bedroom window to observe the night sky. 

 

The older woman walked to where the blonde was standing and gently wrapped her arms around her girlfriend's waist. She planted a soft kiss on Wendy's left cheek.

 

"Let's discuss this tomorrow when we are well rested. C'mon join me in your bed."

 

Irene laced her fingers with the younger woman and pulled her in the direction of the bed.

 

Wendy's lips curled into a smile, "Alright."

 

The raven hair woman drew back the blankets and made herself comfortable.

 

"So soft and warm," she remarked while closing her eyes.

 

Wendy slid under the blankets and clicked off the bedside lamp.

 

Irene slept on the left side of the bed and Wendy on the right. They faced each other staring until Irene covered to yawn.

 

"Goodnight Wannie," she whispered as she snuggled into the blankets.

 

"Goodnight babe," Wendy whispered back as she shut her eyes.

 

The steady downfall of snow continued throughout the night as the girlfriends cuddled close to stay warm. 

 

 

 

Wendy woke in the middle of the night with the urge to empty her bladder. She quietly threw back the blankets and planted her sock feet on the floor as she tiptoed to the bathroom. She shut the door and squirted her eyes from the bright light after she the lights. The blonde washed her hands and shut off the light while slowly opening the door.

 

She peeked to see Irene was snuggled with the blankets pulled up to her chin and light breathing coming from the left side of the bed. A warm sensation formed inside the younger woman's chest.

 

"Could I be falling in love?," Wendy whispered never taking her eyes off of her sleeping girlfriend.

 

She rounded the bed and slipped inside the blankets before resting her head on the pillow. Irene was laying on her left side facing Wendy and the blonde was laying on her right side facing the meteorologist. A sliver of light from the moon shone through the crack in the drapes and illuminated the flawless features on Irene's face.

 

Wendy stared mesmerized for 10 minutes without blinking. She extended her right hand to caress the older woman's cheek that she continued to until a song she listened to earlier popped into her head.

 

You're So Golden

I'm Out Of My Head, And I Know That You're Scared Because Hearts Get Broken

I Don't Wanna Be Alone

I Don't Wanna Be Alone When It Ends Don't Wanna Let You Know

I Don't Wanna Be Alone

But I Can Feel It Take A Hold

I Can Feel You Take Control

Of Who I Am, And All I've Ever Known Lovin' You's The Antidote, Golden

 

Wendy yawned and stretched her arms, she caressed Irene's cheek one last time before turning in.

 

"Night beautiful," she whispered as she faced the opposite direction.

 

A warm smile crossed Irene's face as that was the first time any of her lovers sang to her. She restricted herself from bolting up to attack her girlfriend's lips with a hard kiss. She woke when she spied Wendy tiptoeing across the floor to the bathroom. The meteorologist wanted to open eyes to face her girlfriend while Wendy was caressing her cheek but she froze when the blonde started singing with her sweet voice. Irene was enjoying the pampering her girlfriend provided.

 

Out of the four men she dated, not a single one bothered to serenade her with a song instead always complimenting on her ethereal beauty. 

 

Irene rolled her eyes recalling how vain her past lovers were only concerned with her appearance.

 

"Now I found the right partner," she thought as she scooted closer to the blonde and encased her in a tight hug. 

 

"Night baby," she whispered as she kissed the intern's cheek.

 

Wendy smiled as she cuddled into the older woman's embrace.

 

 

 

Irene was the first to wake up and she stretched her arms and ruffled her hair. She shot heart eyes at the blonde lightly snoring next to her.

 

The alarm clock read 9:22am.

 

"My turn to make breakfast," the meteorologist remarked leaving the bed.

 

A thick hard covered book sitting under the alarm clock caught her attention.

 

"The Fundamentals of Lesbian ?," Irene asked out loud holding the book, flipping through the pages.

 

She snickered as she discovered some pages were highlighted and bookmarked.

 

"So that's why she stalled because she needs to study," Irene thought placing the book back on the nightstand.

 

The meteorologist decided to surprise her girlfriend with breakfast in bed just like Wendy did for her.

 

"Okay where is the frying pan kept?," she mumbled opening up cabinet doors at eye level and knee level.

 

The raven hair woman prepared a menu of scrambled eggs, turkey sausage patties, orange slices, wheat toast with strawberry jam, and freshly brewed coffee with a saucer of creamer and a small bowl of granulated sugar.

 

Irene suspected Wendy was exhausted as she slept the entire time her girlfriend was loudly cooking breakfast with the turkey sausage sizzling, eggs bubbling, toast clicking out of the toaster, and the groan of the Keurig brewing the coffee.

 

Irene used the wooden tray Wendy brought to her penthouse to serve her breakfast to transport the food to the bedroom only a few footsteps away.

 

The blonde was curled up on her left side where Irene left her when she eventually unlaced her arms from the hug.

 

The older woman smiled pleased to know she was able to surprise her girlfriend with breakfast in bed.

 

She set the tray on the nightstand and crawled under the blankets and s her arms around the younger woman's waist. She placed a kiss on Wendy's neck and whispered in her ear.

 

"Time to wake up baby and eat your breakfast."

 

Wendy stirred from a deep sleep and fluttered her eyelids open. She stretched her arms and yawned.

 

Irene giggled as she nuzzled her face into the intern's shoulder and tightened the hug.

 

The blonde kissed the top of her girlfriend's head, "You made me breakfast?" She asked in a voice laced with sleep.

 

The meteorologist sat up and put the tray of food on Wendy's lap.

 

"See for yourself," Irene said ending with a peck on the lips.

 

Wendy's face lit up and she looked in amazement at the assortment of food her girlfriend prepared for her to eat.

 

"This is wonderful!," Wendy exclaimed to which Irene laughed and caressed her cheek.

 

"I stole the idea from you," the older woman confessed.

 

Wendy shook her head no, "What you meant to say is great minds think alike." She drew close to the meteorologist to engage in a slow, soft kiss.

 

When the lovers broke apart both of their faces were covered in blush.

 

"I hope I meet your expectations," Irene said fiddling with her fingers.

 

Wendy cupped her girlfriend's hand, "The food smells delicious so I can guarantee you that I will enjoy my breakfast besides my stomach is growling."

 

The girlfriends laughed at the rumbling sound of the blonde's stomach.

 

"I'm going to wash up and change my clothes," Irene said leaving the bed walking toward the bathroom.

 

"Wait! Don't you want to join me for breakfast because I hate eating alone," the intern pleaded with a pout. "Since you spent the morning cooking this wonderful meal for me, I'm assuming you didn't eat anything? Am I right?"

 

The raven hair woman shook her head no.

 

Wendy patted the spot on the bed next to her, "C'mon let's eat together."

 

Irene smiled, "Okay."

 

The lovers spent the morning feeding each other while discussing their plans for next week.

 

"My next day off is Wednesday so what would you say about going on a dinner date then?," Wendy asked as Irene leaned her head on the blonde's shoulder.

 

The meteorologist finished chewing on the piece of toast.

 

"I would love that! But what time will you pick me up?," Irene asked tracing the outline of the younger woman's jaw with her manicured nail.

 

"W-well t-that is up to you, what time are you free?," Wendy stuttered.

 

The older woman laughed, "Does 5:30pm sound reasonable to you?"

 

Wendy gulped, "Of course 5:30pm it is."

 

Irene laid her head back on the intern's shoulder, "I'm already counting down the seconds, minutes, hours, and days until Wednesday."

 

The blonde chuckled, "Me too but we have the whole morning to spend together."

 

Irene shot a look at the alarm clock.

 

"Argh it is 10:53am already and when does your shift at the retail store start?," Irene groaned not wanting to leave her girlfriend's side.

 

"2pm but we have plenty of time," Wendy said sipping the last drop of coffee. She left the bed to place the dirty dishes in the sink and ran back to join her girlfriend.

 

"Let's cuddle because I'm going to miss your warmth for the rest of the day," the older woman pouted.

 

The blonde chuckled, "Cheesy but I like the clinginess."

 

The lovers laughed as they snuggled close. They laid there staring at the ceiling until Irene broke the embrace and sat up.

 

"Wendy I have a confession to make which is you were right about Eunhyuk, he only invited me to the BoA concert in order to persuade me to be his girlfriend. I should've listened to your protests and followed your advice. He even tried to kiss me during the last song which consequently is titled Kiss My Lips."

 

Irene froze when she observed the nervous expression on the blonde's face. Her girlfriend's eyes darted left to right and her lips quavered.

 

"Actually I also have a confession to make whic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter