Day Eighteen

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Wendy didn't know if it was the heavy dose of medication but she had a nightmare on the first night in Irene's penthouse.

 

She was back in her hospital room as she opened her eyes she was greeted by her mother, Irene, and Sejeong standing close to her bed. Standing by the door was Sunny and Hwasa, near the window stood Joy, Elkie, Yeeun, Jaemin, Jaehyun, and Ilhoon. Under the TV, Jennie, Kai, Jin, and Eunhyuk huddled together whispering to each other but stopped their conversation when they noticed that Wendy was conscious.

 

The door opened to reveal Dr. Jung walking in with a clipboard in hand and a stern expression on her face. Wendy sat up straight to prepare herself for what she considered to be bad news. The atmosphere in the room became heavy, she grew nervous from the concerned looks directed at her. The blonde jerked in place as Irene squeezed her hand.

 

The meteorologist leaned close and whispered, "Whatever the news may be, remember I will be by your side."

 

Irene kissed the small woman's cheek as Wendy tried to hold the tears back from overflowing. 

 

Dr. Jung cleared , "According to the latest x-ray scans I'm sorry to say there was extensive damage to your spine."

 

The whole room grew tense and everyone attempted to hide their emotions.

 

Dr. Jung continued, "I'm sorry to inform you, Wendy Shon that you will not walk again."

 

Mrs. Shon fainted but Sejeong managed to catch her before she collapsed. Joy bawled her eyes out while clenching the curtain. Sunny and Hwasa froze with their mouths open before arguing in a hush tone.

 

Sunny jabbing her finger into Hwasa's chest, "This is all your fault!"

 

'"You heard the doctor Wendy can't walk!"

 

"I should've made you run the errand to FedEx!"

 

Hwasa ran her fingers through her hair, tugging at the roots clearly distressed. She paced the floor in circles as her eyes filled with tears as Sunny observed with crossed arms.

 

Hwasa grabbed the doorknob, yanked the door open, and ran down the hallway toward the exit.

 

"I....I.....I...c-can't w-walk.....," Wendy stuttered on the edge of having a nervous breakdown.

 

Ilhoon approached the bed, "Seoul News Now will save a spot for you to complete your internship when you are physically healed."

 

Jennie walked up to pull Ilhoon away, "Could you be anymore insensitive?! Wendy just found out she can't walk! And you decide it is the best time to discuss the internship?!"

 

Ilhoon shrugged his shoulders, "I thought it will cheer her up!"

 

Jennie her teeth as she backhanded Ilhoon who groaned in pain.

 

Irene ran her fingers through the blonde's hair to comfort her since she was catching her breath from crying so much.

 

The monitors were beeping from the increased heart rate of the small woman.

 

Mrs. Shon leaned close as she whispered, "Honey, you have to calm down or you will have a heart attack!"

 

Wendy hiccuped, "I c-can't w-walk d-does it matter if I live or not!"

 

Irene gasped as she squeezed her girlfriend's hand tighter, "D-don't say that! We only started dating and I'm not giving up on you!"

 

The raven hair woman wiped away her tears but her eyes produced more.

 

The machines were drowning out the sound in the room, Dr. Jung and the two nurses ordered everyone to leave.

 

Wendy gasped for air as her heart rate fluctuated. One of the nurses charged the electric stimulator to shock the blonde's heart back to a normal rhythm.

 

As the electric pads were placed on her chest, Wendy jolted awake to find herself in a dark bedroom.

 

 

Her girlfriend was rubbing her shoulder as she drew in big breaths, sweat covering her forehead, and the intense pain in her lower back from moving too quickly.

 

Irene scrambled out of bed to stand on the right side as she eyed her girlfriend from head to toe looking for injuries.

 

"I woke when I saw you struggling in your sleep," the meteorologist replied fixing any out of place hairs on the blonde's head. She used her hand to wipe the sweat away but paused as she ran her hand over her girlfriend's forehead.

 

"Baby, you're burning up! I will call your doctor!," Irene said clicking on the lamp to search for her phone.

 

"Y-you don't have to since it's late!," Wendy replied wincing in pain as she attempted to lay down.

 

The raven hair woman placed her hand on her girlfriend's lower back and gently guided her back to the pillows. Once Wendy was comfortable she looked directly into the older woman's eyes.

 

"You're too good to me, babe," Wendy whispered as she slowly shut her eyes.

 

Irene ran her fingers through the blonde's bangs until the doctor picked up.

 

"Sorry to disturb you this late but Wendy has a fever!," the older woman panicked.

 

45 minutes later, the doorbell rang to which Irene ran to answer it but almost bumped into her cousin exiting the guest room.

 

Yeri opened her door while rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

 

"Who is visiting at this hour?," Yeri asked glancing at her Apple watch to read 2:30am.

 

Irene rubbed her cousin's arms, "I called Wendy's personal doctor to come over because she has a fever."

 

Yeri stood in shock, "Is she okay?! What would you like me to do?!"

 

The meteorologist smiled, "I'll let you know but right now I need to let the doctor do an exam."

 

The younger woman stepped out of the way.

 

Irene opened the door to greet a man in a white lab coat who was a few years older than her.

 

"Bae Irene? I recognize you from the news," the doctor replied as the raven hair woman shook her head sheepishly.

 

"Come in, let me lead you to where Wendy is resting," Irene instructed opening the door wider.

 

The young doctor wiped his shoes on the doormat before entering. 

 

"Is it okay if I set these by the door?," the doctor asked holding his dress shoes.

 

Irene turned back to answer, "Sure doctor........"

 

The doctor snickered, "Sorry it seems rude of me to forget to introduce myself.....my name is Henry Lau or Dr. Lau for short."

 

He extended his hand and Irene shook it.

 

"Follow me, please," the raven hair woman swiftly walked toward the master bedroom.

 

Dr. Lau spent an hour assessing Wendy's condition from her heart rate to breathing pattern to waking her to instruct her to move her joints to flashing a light in her eyes and ears.

 

Dr. Lau placed his tools back in his black leather bag, "Ms. Shon, your temperature registered at 104 degrees which is high but thankfully everything seems to be healing properly but I encourage you to drink plenty of fluids, get lots of rest, and try not to aggravate any of your injuries. Especially your bruised ribs, ask for assistance if you need to leave the bed to use the bathroom, change your clothes, grab a bite to eat, or take a bath. The slightest movement will turn a minor injury into a major one."

 

Wendy shook her head, "Okay doctor."

 

Irene lovingly stared at her girlfriend as she rubbed small circles on her back.

 

Dr. Lau stood up from the stool Irene retrieve from the kitchen, "Great to hear so everything seems to be in order and I'll see myself out."

 

Irene walked the doctor out, "Thank you, Dr. Lau."

 

Dr. Lau smiled, "I'm available at any hour whether it is day or night to help Wendy recover so don't be afraid to call."

 

"I'll keep that in mind and goodnight," the meteorologist said slowly closing the door.

 

She nearly jumped 10 feet in the air to come face to face with Yeri.

 

Irene clenched her chest, "Geez cousin you startled me!"

 

Yeri cocked her eyebrow and crossed her arms, "Who was that handsome doctor?"

 

Irene giggled, "I'm not setting you up with my girlfriend's personal doctor!"

 

Yeri trailed behind her cousin to the kitchen for a glass of water.

 

Yeri cocked her head, "Wait? Personal doctor? Okay so your young lover is loaded!"

 

Irene choked on her water as she picked up the dish towel from the countertop and threw it at her cousin.

 

Yeri ducked, "So is Wendy the sugar momma?"

 

The raven hair woman laughed, "Our relationship doesn't center around what our income is if that was the case I would've stay with Yunho."

 

Yeri gulped her water, "You're right about that but eventually your attraction to females would cause the break-up."

 

Irene placed her glass in the sink, "Or at least until Wendy starts her internship at the news station. I never really looked at other females the same way I look at my girlfriend."

 

Yeri playfully clenched her heart, "So romantic! But cousin I can't let you off the hook because I remember a grade school female friend of yours that started your fascination with the color purple."

 

The older woman wagged her finger, "I wasn't in love with her maybe a little crush but there is no comparsion to what I have with Wendy!"

 

Yeri laughed, "I didn't say it did!"

 

Yeri hugged the meteorologist who kissed her on the forehead.

 

"Go back to bed! I mean it! Stay off the apps!," Irene playfully scolded.

 

Yeri rolled her eyes, "Nite cous!"

 

Irene sighed as she dragged her tired body back to her bedroom.

 

The door opened a crack, Irene froze watching the slow rise and fall of the blonde's chest, a sliver of moonlight peeked in through the curtains to illustrate the smooth pale complexion of the younger woman's face.

 

The raven hair woman tiptoed to her girlfriend's side of the bed, she ran the back of hand across the bruised cheek.

 

The flesh felt hot against her skin.

 

Irene walked to the right side of the bed, crawled in slowly and laid down on her left side facing Wendy. She stared at her girlfriend until her eyelids felt heavy.

 

 

 

The Next Day

 

 

Irene shut off her alarm that read 4:30am, she stretched her stiff arms and arched her back to release the tiredness that consumed her body. She turned to stare at her girlfriend shifting in her sleep while mumbling, "...It wasn't the customer's fault....."

 

Irene seemed lost in thought as to who her girlfriend was referring to. She dragged her feet to the bathroom to fill a small bowel with cold water to soak a dish clothe in. The meteorologist carefully walked to Wendy's side of the bed to lightly lay the damp clothe on her burning forehead.

 

The mumbling stopped and the blonde relaxed under the cool clothe as it soothed her fever. 

 

Irene looked lovingly at her girlfriend as she rubbed her arm.

 

"I have to go to work today but I'm all yours when I arrive home," Irene whispered as she placed a slow, soft kiss on the small woman's cheek.

 

As Irene pulled away, Wendy grinned in her sleep which made the meteorologist smile.

 

"I love you, baby," Irene remarked as she entered the bathroom to freshen up.

 

 

Down the hallway, Yeri spent the time she should of spent sleeping, conducting online research on the handsome doctor who makes house calls. 

 

Yeri started with the doctor's bio, "Okay it says Henry Lau studied at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Wow impressive! He spent his internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles."

 

The young woman stared dreamily into space imagining what life would be like living in LA.

 

"So lucky to live in California!," Yeri exclaimed picturing the nearby beaches, delicious Mexican food, vibrant nightlife, and Hollywood films shot on location. 

 

Yeri snapped out of her daze and continued to read the achievements of her new crush.

 

"Dr. Lau is currently working as a physician at Toronto General Hospital part-time while running his own practice full-time," the young woman read aloud scratching her chin. "So he has his own private practice which explains how he was able to fly to Seoul on short notice."

 

She scrolled to the bottom of the webpage to stare at photos of the doctor at different medical conventions even winning awards.

 

Yeri jerked her head to face the guest room door slowly opening. 

 

The young woman slapped the laptop shut and pulled the blanket up to her shoulders as she shut her eyes.

 

Yeri tried to stay still as she heard giggling from the doorway.

 

"C'mon cousin, I know when you are fake sleeping like right now," Irene remarked opening the door wider and walking toward the bed. She flopped down as Yeri drew the blankets close and turned away from the older woman.

 

The meteorologist ran a comb through her damp hair.

 

"I came here to ask for a favor which is could you possibly look after Wendy while I'm at work," Irene asked shaking her cousin to wake up.

 

Yeri turned over to face the raven hair woman, "Is she feeling better? Or do you need me to call the doctor for another visit?"

 

Irene cocked her eyebrow, "For Wendy or you?"

 

Yeri gave her cousin a confused look, "Me? What are you talking about?"

 

"Oh yeah?," the meteorologist replied prying the laptop away from the younger woman to look over the home screen. "Explain this?"

 

Irene pointed to the enlarged pictures of Dr. Lau wearing a tailored suit accepting an award at a medical convention.

 

Yeri shrugged, "Is it wrong to do research on someone to make sure his credentials match up?"

 

The older woman snickered, "So swooning over Dr. Lau in a suit tells you what exactly?"

 

Yeri frowned as she snatched her laptop from Irene's hands, "I wasn't only looking at his pictures......"

 

The young woman sneaked one last look before shutting off her laptop.

 

Irene chuckled, "You are something else! You know that! But anyways since you are on winter break from school and I forget whether you have a part-time job?"

 

Yeri shook her head, "I don't."

 

The meteorologist clapped her hands in excitement, "I will be forever grateful to you if you help me take care of Wendy! I'm not asking you to surrender your social life to babysit my girlfriend but just help her with the basic tasks like cooking her meals, making sure she takes her pills, help her get out of bed to use the toilet..."

 

Yeri interrupted, "Hold up! Are you sure these are basic needs? It sounds like your girlfriend needs round the clock care like a nurse or doctor? I'm afraid of making a mistake that could worsen her condition."

 

Yeri frowned while darting her eyes to the ground.

 

Irene sighed, "I'm aware I'm asking a lot from you it's just that Mrs. Shon is flying back to Toronto tonight and she trusted me to look after Wendy while she is gone. I can't bare to send her back to the hospital to recover in the presence of strangers, no family or love ones to keep her company."

 

The raven hair woman wiped the tears streaking down her face.

 

Yeri stepped closer to embrace her cousin, "I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm just nervous to be dealt such a big responsibility that I can't help but imagine the worst case scenario happening while Wendy is in my care. What if her fever spikes? What if she develops an infection? What if......"

 

Yeri didn't have the heart to finish thought as she observed the sadness in her cousin's eyes.

 

Irene rubbed her arm, "If you have any questions, no matter how foolish you think they may sound, please don't hesitate to call or text me."

 

Yeri wiped the tears away from her eyes, "Okay."

 

The meteorologist giggled, "Why are you crying? I hope I wasn't too harsh on you."

 

Yeri hugged the older woman.

 

"No one has ever treated me like an adult or found me trustworthy," the young woman directed her eyes to the floor when the cousins broke the hug.

 

Irene lifted Yeri's chin to make eye contact, "As I mentioned before you are the only family member I revealed my uality to and my door is always open whenever you need a place to stay. I mean our mothers are sisters and my mother can be hard to handle and I assume auntie isn't any different."

 

Yeri shook her head in agreement, "I would be at home but a break is what I need."

 

"One week," Irene tucked a loose strand of hair behind her cousin's ear. "We will talk about it when I arrive home from work."

 

The raven hair woman stood up and straighten her black men's blazer she paired with a white t-shirt, ripped baggy blue jeans, and Converse All Star sneakers.

 

Yeri eyed her from head to toe, "Aren't you dressed a little too casual for work?"

 

Irene glanced at her outfit and laughed, "My stylist dresses me for the taping so I'm allow to enter the news station in whatever outfit I want."

 

Yeri laughed, "Oh I guess I forgot!"

 

"It is understandable but promise me you will help Wendy with her medication, food, and anything else?," the raven hair woman asked in a praying stance. 

 

Yeri smiled, "I promise because we're family and I understand I mentioned it before but ever since you started dating Wendy there is a light in your eyes. You also seemed to be relaxed, whenever we hung out while you dated Yunho you were tense and easily angry. Like the littliest thing would piss you off."

 

Irene furrowed her eyebrows, "I was?"

 

Yeri shook her head rapidly yes, "Our relatives use to call me or ask me at family gatherings if Yunho was secretly abusing you."

 

"How come you never told me this because he wasn't actually he was always respectful," Irene answered pacing the floor. "I was the one who wasn't committed to giving 100% to the relationship and it took me 2 years to figure out why."

 

"Then Wendy came along," Yeri said with a sly smile.

 

Irene blushed and covered her face with her hands, "From the first encounter where our eyes met I knew I was a goner."

 

Yeri headed to the bathroom, "Enough about your love life and yes I'm jealous! But anyways I will shower right now so if Wendy calls for help I'll be ready."

 

The meteorologist took it as her cue to leave, "Before I leave for work just keep in mind, Wendy is in the early stages of recovery so she'll be resting for the majority of the day."

 

Yeri tapped her forehead, "I'll keep that in mind but you need to leave for work so get out of here!"

 

Irene laughed as she exited the guest bedroom, took the sand colored pea coat out of the hallway closet, wrapped a scarf around her neck, and retrieved the white Prada handbag from the hook by the front door. 

 

 

Seoul University

 

Joy spent the night tossing and turning in regret. She attended her classes yesterday but had a hard time focusing on what her professors were saying as her thoughts were consumed with images of Seulgi.

 

Seulgi smiling until her eyes were the shape of crescent moons.

 

The blush on her face as their fingers touched.

 

Seulgi watching her safely walk to her dorm building's stairwell.

 

When the time came to visit the cafeteria for a meal break, Joy browsed the food items on the serving line completely unaware that her crush sat a few tables away.

 

"C'mon ladies, let's be serious about our next fundraiser!," commanded the sorority queen, SinB.

 

Seulgi and Soyeon were playfully slapping each other before breaking into laughter.

 

Joy froze as she stared with her food tray in hand but looked away when Seulgi caught her.

 

Seulgi stood up and started walking toward Joy. The sorority members stopped their conversation to spy the interaction between the two women.

 

"I wish I had half of Seulgi's confidence when it comes to approaching anyone I'm interested in," Chungha remarked picking at her chipped nail.

 

"Who is that girl? Is she new? She looks about the same age as my friends Yeeun and Elkie," Soyeon said eyeing Joy from head to toe. "She is totally Seulgi's type especially the long, wavy jet black hair."

 

SinB sat silent as she observed Joy's nervous demeanor as Seulgi drew closer.

 

"Nah! Seulgi doesn't stand a chance as that girl is straight," SinB replied sipping from her water bottle.

 

Soyeon her teeth, "Give Seulgi some credit! Her gaydar is perfect! Watch her work her magic!"

 

SinB rolled her eyes, crossed her arms, and leaned back in chair, "Okay prove me wrong!"

 

The three women were sitting out of earshot to hear what was said but paid attention to the body language.

 

As Seulgi came closer, Joy tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and focused on the dessert display window.

 

"I was hoping I would run into you again!," Seulgi beamed with a bright smile on her face.

 

Joy sheepishly turned slowly to face the woman who left her stomach twisted in knots.

 

"M-me too....," Joy stuttered in a hush voice too shy to make eye contact.

 

Seulgi smiled more to know she had this effect on the tall woman.

 

"I was sitting with the sorority members but if you didn't eat yet and if your up for some company?," Seulgi asked rubbing her clammy hands against her jeans.

 

Joy went to open but her words were caught in .

 

Seulgi swayed from side to side, "So is that a yes or no?"

 

Joy was about to reply when a stranger's arm s around her waist.

 

"Hey beautiful! Still didn't answer my question of are we going to go clubbing or not?," Jaemin snickered pleased with himself to observe Joy turning beet red with embarrassment.

 

"Oh....," Seulgi trailed off as her eyes zeroed in on the tight grip Jaemin had on Joy's waist.

 

Joy elbowed Jaemin in the side, "Don't touch me!"

 

Jaemin backed up rubbing his bruised side, "That's not what you said last night!"

 

Laughter could be heard from the students waiting in line and sitting nearby.

 

Tears filled Joy's eyes her vision darted around the cafeteria to observe the students whispering and pointing at her.

 

Seulgi slowly backed away, "Sorry I misunderstood."

 

Shock set in as Joy stumbled over her words in an attempt to convince Seulgi she had the wrong idea.

 

"No....wait!"

 

"This isn't my boyfriend!"

 

"Don't go............," Joy quietly pleaded to Seulgi's retreating figure as she rejoined the sorority members.

 

"Oops! Did I mess up?," Jaemin asked with an evil grin.

 

Joy's anger fester to the surface as she took her food tray and dump the condiments over Jaemin's head.

 

Jaemin stood in shock as water soaked his hair, pudding stained his shirt, and salad decorated his hair and shoulders.

 

"WHAT THE!," Jaemin started but Joy cut him off.

 

" YOU! NEVER SPEAK TO ME AGAIN OR LOOK AT ME! STAY AWAY FROM ME!," Joy screamed as she ended the confrontation with a hard slap across Jaemin's face. His head snapped back from the impact.

 

"Holy ! She doesn't play!," Chungha said to the other sorority members who sat in silence.

 

Joy stumped her feet out of the cafeteria.

 

Seulgi sat speechless and at the same time confused.

 

"I could've swore she was attracted to me," Seulgi said to herself.

 

Soyeon slapped her shoulder, "Cheer up! You dodged a bullet there! Imagine the arguments or the littlest disagreements! She needs to work on her anger!"

 

Seulgi picked at her food.

 

SinB leaned close, "I knew she was straight."

 

The sorority members broke into a fit of giggles.

 

Seulgi frown.

 

Chungha spoke up, "If you are still feeling depressed by the end of the day, we can stop by the nearest conveince store so you can select as many cans of Pringles as your heart desires. I'll pay the amount."

 

Soyeon wrapped her arm around Seulgi's shoulder and Seulgi mumbled, "Thanks guys."

 

The sorority members finished their lunch and returned to the sorority house.

 

Joy buried her face in her pillow to scream her frustrations of the missed opportunity to spend time with her crush. She rushed back to her dorm room and collapsed face first on her bed.

 

"Jaemin is dead to me!," she proclaimed remembering they were part of the same internship. "If he attempts to look or talk or do anything to me well I'm going to accuse him of harassment and report him to the director of the broadcasting department."

 

Joy ran a comb through her long hair, adjusted her blouse, applied eye make-up, and dabbed a hint of lipstick.

 

She studied her appearance in the mirror, "I refuse to become the insecure, scared girl I was in high school. Jaemin is going to find out that he messed with the wrong girl!"

 

Joy grabbed her handbag, buttoned up her gray peacoat, and clutched her books close to her chest as she exited her dorm on her way to classes. 

 

 

 

Seoul News Now

 

Irene was sitting in the make-up chair receiving the finishing touches to her hair when CEO Ahn entered standing in the doorway adjusting the cuffs of his suit jacket while darting his eyes around the news studio. He locked his gaze on the meteorologist who quickly turned away. He cleared his throat and hunched his shoulders as he strolled to her make-up chair. Halfway there the main producer blocked his path with a clipboard in her hand.

 

"I hate to pester you CEO Ahn but is there any new updates about who will replace Ilhoon as the supervisor of the interns?," she asked clearly annoyed. "I would love to offer my assistance but it is challenging to balance the duties of producing a news program while looking after students who if I'm being honest aren't dedicated to starting a career in the news field. Well except for one but she's in the hospital."

 

The main producer said the last sentence in a hush tone but Irene was close enough to hear it which made her eyes teared up picturing Wendy laying in a hospital bed with wires all over.

 

CEO Ahn crossed his arms, shot the producer an intimidating look, and replied in a harsh voice.

 

"The sudden termination of Ilhoon has left a huge impact on many areas throughout this news station! For example, the control room where he monitored the staff are working overtime every day to fill the void Ilhoon left!," the CEO countered leaning in to tower over the small, fragile producer.

 

"S-sorry I wasn't aware of that.....," the main producer replied in a small voice shrinking in the spot where she stood not daring to look the CEO in his eyes.

 

An evil smile graced the tall, burly man's face knowing he held the upper hand to silence any complaints from the production staff.

 

He wagged his finger in the face of the main producer, "I suggest doing your research first before approaching me about how I'm handling the operations of Seoul News Now! I look after each and every employee so until I find the proper candidate to fill Ilhoon's position, you will continue to monitor the group of interns! If you rather not then I will draw up the paperwork for your resignation or would you rather immediate termination? The choice is yours!"

 

"B-but I dedicated 18 years of my life to this news studio....," the main producer trailed off lost in thought.

 

CEO Ahn erupted into laughter to the point he was clutching his stomach.

 

He patted the producer's shoulder, "My dear woman when are you going to wake up and realize that seniority means nothing nowadays!"

 

The main producer's complexion turned beet red and she retreated to her office to hide from embarrassment.

 

Jennie her teeth as she leaned close to whisper to Irene, "What an !"

 

CEO Ahn his heel to talk to the two women when his assistant, Kim Junkyu ran into the news studio out of breath.

 

"CEO Ahn, the investor you requested a conference call from is on line 2 right now!," Kim Junkyu stated after bowing.

 

CEO Ahn paused staring at the meteorologist who sat still facing the mirror at her make-up station.

 

"Bae Irene! See me at the end of the day! We need to discuss Yang Hyunsuk!,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter