Day Fifteen

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Irene slowly opened her eyes to turn off her alarm that continued to beep at 4:30am.

 

She stretched her arms over her head and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. She blinked twice in surprise to see she wore Wendy's pea coat to bed.

 

"Only a dream," she mumbled recalling the complicated dream she had last night.

 

Irene and Wendy were strolling with their hands connected through the Dongdaemun Night Market. Wendy stopped by a sunglasses stand to try on the different styles. Irene giggled as the blonde selected '70s era inspired big frame sunflower lense glasses and made goofy expressions. 

 

"So what do you think?," Wendy asked wiggling her eyebrows striking a pose.

 

Irene playfully shoved her girlfriend as a stall that sold handbags caught her attention.

 

The lovers linked arms as they walked to the handbag stall.

 

A leather black Hermes handbag was the first one Irene spotted and she was mesmerized. She ran her fingers over the expensive material and studied the intricate stitching throughout the handbag.

 

The younger woman approached her from behind to lay a gentle hand on her back. She tilted her head to observe the handbag her girlfriend selected.

 

"Nice choice! My mother has one just like this!," the blonde beamed with a big smile.

 

Irene turned back to the handbag confused and when she turned back to face Wendy, her girlfriend was gone. She frantically spun around searching for the blonde and calling her name

 

A fog covered the night sky and encased the whole market place in the thick, white mist. 

 

Irene breathed heavily and started to panic, "WENDY! WHERE ARE YOU?!" She screamed darting her head in every direction as the fog thickened.

 

The raven hair woman held her head in hands in an attempt to compose her emotions.

 

"This can't be real! This can't be real!," she repeated over and over.

 

The fog cleared and the meteorologist found herself standing outside of the industrial building her penthouse was located in.

 

She ran inside to the elevators to bang on the buttons to open and take her to her floor hoping Wendy was waiting inside her penthouse. The doors to the elevator dinged to let Irene know she arrived at her floor. She ran out as the doors were halfway open to insert her keycard in the lock.

 

"WENDY ARE YOU HERE?!," the older woman yelled as she walked to the living room, shaking in fear.

 

The small woman was laying in her hospital bed with tubes and wires attached to her tiny frame in the center of the room. A heart monitor sounded as the meteorologist drew closer to her unconscious girlfriend. Irene slowly approached and knelt down by the small woman's bedside.

 

"I found you, baby," Irene cried as she held the weak woman's hand and nuzzled her nose against the blonde's cheek. The raven hair woman closed her eyes as tears rolled down her face. She clenched her eyes closed to block out the constant beeping of the heart monitors that indicated her girlfriend's heart rate increased.

 

Irene covered her ears and whispered, "This can't be real! Don't leave me! We only started dating!"

 

The beeping continued until Irene slowly opened her eyes to shut off her alarm to observe the sheets twisted around her body.

 

The older woman threw the blankets away and stood hugging the pea coat to her body stuck in a daze recalling how her girlfriend was seriously injured. She breathed in the lingering vanilla cherry scent left on the fabric. She inhaled and exhaled to steady her breathing before setting the pea coat on her bed.

 

"I'll wait as long as it takes for you to come back to me," the meteorologist whispered before entering the bathroom to freshen up.

 

 

 

 

Mrs. Shon changed her position on the uncomfortable cushioned chair throughout the night, not being able to get a decent night of sleep. But the well-being of her daughter was her only concern.

 

"I'll sacrifice however many nights of sleep I need to find the individuals responsible for your accident and make them pay in the worst way," Mrs. Shon stated caressing her daughter's cheek. She gasped to witness Wendy's eyelids flutter open but shut as quickly as they opened.

 

"You sleep and get better so you can see all of the gifts you received," Mrs. Shon smiled looking at the table filled with balloons, cards, stuffed animals, candy, and flowers.

 

Her mother picked up the water pitcher which the sunflowers sat in and placed in on the bedside table next to the IV machine.

 

"I want these flowers to be the first thing you see when you wake up," Mrs. Shon smiled, sniffing the fresh scent of the flowers. "My little girl is loved."

 

Mrs. Shon's phone rang, "!" Wendy's mother forgot to silent the ringer hoping the loud noise wouldn't disturb her daughter's sleep.

 

She stepped out into the hallway, "Yes Frank, did you come across any reputable private investigators?"

 

Mumbling from the other end.

 

"Great send me their information and tell them to meet me at Home Decor and More at 3pm today," Mrs. Shon instructed.

 

Mrs. Shon re-entered the patient room after the phone call and stared out the wide window.

 

"No one hurts my daughter and gets away with it!," Mrs. Shon stated clenching her fist.

 

 

 

The Previous Day at Home Decor & More

 

Sunny thought for sure she was going to get a speeding ticket for how fast she was driving through the last intersection.

 

She held her breath as she watched the patrol car sit on the shoulder of the highway but made no attempt to chase her.

 

Her grip on the steering wheel loosened.

 

"OH THANK GOD! Maybe someone has taken pity on me?," she remarked until her expression turned stern as she entered the parking lot of Home Decor & More to see Hwasa's car parked by the entrance.

 

"She's never here this early? So what gives?," a puzzled Sunny asked searching her brain for a reason until it dawned on her.

 

"Of course she is here before anyone else to cover up any incriminating evidence that could lead to her being responsible for Wendy's accident!," exclaimed Sunny.

 

The store manager shut off the ignition and unbuckled her seatbelt.

 

"No more avoiding my questions as I need to hear the truth or we will be facing a lawsuit in court," shivered Sunny as the image of the powerful, elegant Mrs. Shon crossed her mind. Her mood saddened when she remembered Wendy lying on a stretcher lapsing in and out of consiousness.

 

Sunny wiped the trailing tear away from her cheek, "I wish I could've stayed at the store instead of running to FedEx then maybe Wendy's accident wouldn't happened. But what's done is done and now I must face the consequences whatever they are."

 

The store manager zipped her winter coat as a cold gust of wind blew by on her way to open the store.

 

"But first I need answers," she mumbled as she inserted the key in the lock.

 

The lights were dimly lit and all of the media displays were powered down. The only noise that resounded throughout the store was the tapping of computer keys heard from the manager's office.

 

Sunny's forehead was covered with sweat as she clumsily typed the passcode into the door. After the 5th failed attempt, the doorknob opened from the otherside.

 

Hwasa opened the door in shock, "Sunny, are you okay? What happened to you?" The CEO asked surveying the store manager's unkempt clothes from spending the night in the hospital waiting room.

 

Sunny eyed Hwasa suspiciously, "How else am I suppose to look when I'm accompanying one of my employees to the hospital after they sustain a serious injury under my suspension?" Sunny scoffed idly pushing past Hwasa who stood dumbfounded in the doorway.

 

Hwasa bit her bottom lip, "Is she going to be okay?" Came the question no louder than a whisper.

 

Sunny ran her fingers through her hair pondering how to answer without coming across harsh but here the CEO was hiding out in her office avoiding all responsibility.

 

"I guess so....I'm not related to Wendy so the medical staff refused to inform me whether her injuries were severe," Sunny quipped as she spun on her heel to set her handbag and coat in her office. 

 

Hwasa followed curious about the reprecussions the company could face.

 

"So you were the only person who witnessed Wendy in that state?," Hwasa asked playing with her fingers.

 

Sunny chuckled, "No actually her mother flew in from Canada to be by her side and let me say based on her appearance alone, well she is one woman I don't want to upset." Sunny shuffled the stack of papers on her desk observing through the corner of her eye Hwasa's right hand shaking.

 

"W-what d-do you mean by that? I mean how did she look?," the CEO stuttered.

 

Sunny smirked seeing the CEO quiver in fear.

 

"Mrs. Shon wore designer sunglasses, leather gloves, carried a Hermes limited edition handbag, and walked in Louis Vuittion heels, you know the red bottom shoes," stated Sunny with a twinkle in her eye as Hwasa swallowed loudly.

 

"D-did s-she seem upset?," Hwasa stuttered wiping her sweaty palms on her dress pants.

 

Sunny shrugged, "I can't say since I didn't speak to her because from the moment she arrived, the nurses escorted back to the patients' rooms. But I get the impression based on Mrs. Shon's appearance and the aura she presented that she makes more money in a day than I do in a year. Let's just say if she decides to sue, Home Decor & More will file for bankruptcy."

 

The store manager calmly rearranged the pens and markers in her ceramic holder.

 

Hwasa's eyes bulged to watch Sunny act so nonchalant about a possible financial ruin to the company.

 

The CEO started to speak but Sunny cut her off, "Now about the other night when I left the store to sort out a misplaced order at FedEx, I need you to describe in great detail the events that led the Wendy falling 12 feet to the floor?"

 

Sunny leaned back in her office chair feeling confident to possess all of the control over the CEO.

 

Hwasa smoothed out the creases in her gray blazer and cleared .

 

"I will repeat what I said that night which is a male customer accidently bumped his shopping chart into the ladder Wendy was standing on which caused her to fall. Nothing more," the CEO shrugged her shoulders.

 

"Are you willing to swear that as your statement under oath?," Sunny said pointing her black pen at Hwasa.

 

Hwasa furrowed her eyebrows, "Under oath? Let's not be dramatic! It was an accident that shouldn't have happened and I regret that Wendy was hurt in the process but quit implying a lawsuit will be filed."

 

Sunny crossed her arms, "Who says Mrs. Shon won't sue Home Decor & More for every penny we have?"

 

The CEO sighed, "Anyways I combed through the sales figures from the neighboring stores and I'm proud to report that your store 516 is in the top 5 for revenue."

 

Sunny pursed her lips and cocked her eyebrow, eyeing the CEO from head to toe.

 

"She is nervous," Sunny smiled saying in her head.

 

"Thanks for notifying me but there is a new brand of towels I need to make sale signs for," she informed facing her computer.

 

Hwasa froze before slowly exiting Sunny's office.

 

"Oh please close the door!," the store manager instructed behind her computer screen.

 

"Sure," the CEO whispered.

 

A chesire smile decorated Sunny's face watching Hwasa coward out of the office.

 

"Boss who?," she snickered.

 

As much as Sunny tried to concentrate on her work, an uneasy feeling consumed her as she was certain Hwasa wasn't telling the whole truth.

 

"Why was she roaming the sales floor? Her reaction as Wendy laid on the ground convinced me she had something to do with Wendy's fall," Sunny remarked tapping her pen against her chin, easing back into her chair. She scrolled her mouse near the security camera file on her computer.

 

"I believe the answers I need are only a click away," the store manager said double clicking on the icon to watch over 24 hours of footage.

 

 

 

Present Day

 

Irene parked her silver Lexus in her designated parking spot a few feet from the elevator doors. As hard as she tried to hide her sorrow over Wendy lying in a hospital bed consumed with injuries, she couldn't prevent the tears from falling on the drive to work.

 

She sniffed a fresh set of tears away by dabbing her eyes with a tissue.

 

Loud rap music and screeching tires interrupted her daily crying session.

 

A red and black Lamborghini Huracan EVO Coupe pulled into the space one spot away.

 

The meteorologist furrowed her eyebrows for she never saw that car before unless one of her co-anchors recently splurged on the expensive vehicle.

 

The car's doors opened vertically to reveal Jennie sitting in the passenger side. 

 

"Thanks for the ride, babe! See you later!," the anchor giggled like a schoolgirl at the male wearing a beanie, blue tinted sunglasses, thick platinum necklaces, and multiple rings who she kissed goodbye.

 

Irene strained her eyes to read the stitching on the head rest, "G-dragon."

 

The Lamborghini sped out of the parking garage appearing as a blur.

 

"Hey Irene! How are you?," Jennie waved with a huge smile.

 

The older woman returned a small smile not wanting to dampened her coworker's cheerful mood.

 

"I didn't know you were dating someone?," Irene asked as she recalled Jennie and Kai continuously flirting and quarreling like a couple. To say Irene was shocked to see Jennie kissing another man is an understatement.

 

"Well Kwon Jiyong and I have been friends for years," Jennie started. "He has been the first person I go to for advice whether it is careerwise or relationship wise. So one day we decided since we at picking the right partners that why not start dating one another and see where it goes."

 

Irene laced her right arm with Jennie's left arm.

 

The raven hair woman gave her friend a warm smile.

 

"Sounds wonderful, I'm happy for you," Irene said enjoying a more subtle side of the anchor.

 

The huge smile never left Jennie's face.

 

"I really appreciate the encouragement and like I said yesterday, I'm so relieved we sorted out any misunderstandings that existed," Jennie stated. "I would never forgive myself if our friendship ended over you believing I pressured Eunhyuk to be interested in you."

 

Irene laughed, "He'll get over me especially considering he is a playboy."

 

Jennie snickered, "Fingers crossed."

 

The co-anchors boarded the elevator together.

 

Jennie cleared , "So Irene........how's Wendy? I mean is she getting any better?"

 

Irene stared at the elevator door before forcing a smile, "She is doing better. Her mother flew in from Canada to take care of her."

 

Jennie wrapped her arm the meteorologist and pulled her close, "Irene, I'm so sorry. If you need anything no matter what time of day or night....please reach out."

 

Irene slowly pulled away from the embrace, "Thank you Jennie. I value your consideration and your trust."

 

Jennie chuckled, "Anytime Rene, I didn't forget how you took a rookie anchor under your wing and showed me the ropes of the broadcasting industry."

 

Irene smiled as the doors opened, "C'mon it's time to let the professionals glam us up for the camera."

 

Jennie giggled, "I'll follow your lead."

 

Irene held Jennie's hand as they entered the news studio.

 

Both anchors froze at the sight of CEO Ahn standing at the center of the news floor with a stern look on his face.

 

The main producer approached the angry man with a cup of coffee. He slapped the cup from her hands and the liquid spilled all over the floor.

 

"MY REPUTATION IS RUINED! WHEN DOES THAT PUNK WHO IS SUPERVISING THE INTERNS ARRIVE! I NEED A WORD WITH HIM!," CEO Ahn yelled as the veins in his neck bulged.

 

Jennie and Irene tiptoed to the make-up chairs.

 

Jennie whispered to the stylist, "What has him all worked up?"

 

The stylist shrugged, "He gets easily angry with Ilhoon since appointing him the duty of looking after the university students. Your guess is as good as mine."

 

Irene seemed confused as she saw it Ilhoon did a decent job of keeping the students in line and handing out discipline when it was necessary.

 

"Especially to the two boys," the meteorologist snickered.

 

CEO Ahn wagged his finger in front of the main producer, "TELL THAT SCREW-UP I'LL BE WAITING IN MY OFFICE TO SPEAK TO HIM!"

 

The main producer finched while sheepishly nodding her head in agreement.

 

The CEO stormed out of the news studio as Kai came strolling in.

 

Earlier in the parking garage, Kai pulled into his parking space with a bouquet of white tulips laying on the passenger's seat. He checked his appearance in the rearview mirror by running a hand through his slick, black hair.

 

He was overcome with guilt for threatening legal action against Jennie for sharing the video of the argument between Eunhyuk and him to social media. He regrets not trusting her enough to believe she won't betray him regardless of how awful their arguments get.

 

The handsome anchor smiled to himself impressed with his ironed white collar shirt, black dress pants, and newly polished brogue shoes. He left his car and locked the door as an expensive Lamborghini drew everyone's attention. 

 

Kai stood with his mouth agape to be so close to a luxury vehicle that it felt like a double blow to his heart when he watched the door open vertically to reveal the woman he lusted after for years but was too afraid to confess to, flirt and kiss the driver before he sped away.

 

Jennie didn't even notice his presence for she made a beeline to converse with Irene.

 

Kai hung his head and eyed the white tulips in hand.

 

"Forget it!," he angrily said as he unlocked the passenger's side door and threw the bouquet back in his car. Flower pedals as well as stems decorated his front seat.

 

"I'll clean it up later!," he growled as he stalked to the elevators. 

 

On the elevator ride up to the news studio, Kai kept scolding himself.

 

"YOU STUPID ING IDIOT!"

 

"WHAT A SILLY IDEA LIKE JENNIE WOULD FORGIVE ME WITH FLOWERS LET ALONE DATE ME! WHO AM I KIDDING!"

 

"WHY WOULD A WOMAN WHO LOOKS LIKE THAT STAY SINGLE!"

 

"OF COURSE SHE HAS MEN LINING UP TO DATE HER SINCE SHE WAS VOTED THE HOTTEST NEWS ANCHOR TWO YEARS IN A ROW!"

 

"I ONLY HAVE MYSELF TO BLAME FOR DELAYING!"

 

Kai drew in a deep breah to control his rapid heartbeat due to the continuous pacing around the elevator.

 

The elevator stopped at the floor the news studio was located.

 

He fixed his collar and smoothed his hair.

 

"Get it together," the handsome anchor coached himself. "Just pretend like you didn't see it or better yet forget you ever were interested in her."

 

The doors slid open to reveal a confident, serious Kai.

 

He played with the button on his cuff as he walked past the make-up chairs purposely ignoring the two beautiful women trading make-up tips they searched on Instagram.

 

Kai huffed before rushing to his dressing room.

 

Irene and Jennie looked in his direction after he shut the door.

 

The friends burst into laughter.

 

Irene cocked her eyebrow in amusement, "What has gotten into him?"

 

Jennie chuckled, "I'm curious about the white shirt, black pants ensemble like does Kai wait tables on the side? Did he fall asleep in his work uniform?"

 

Both women laughed.

 

"On a serious note, Jennie did you consider how Kai might react to you dating someone?," the raven hair woman dared to ask.

 

Jennie's eyes were focused on buffing her nails, "Didn't care to think of him."

 

"Oh okay," Irene replied as she leaned back in the chair so the stylist was able to finish straightening her hair.

 

If Jennie was being honest with herself, she hoped Kai was seething with jealousy.  A part of her wanted to rub her relationship with Kwon Jiyong in the handsome anchor's face to prove that constant hesitation and meaningless flirting went nowhere. She wanted Kai to ask her out for months, without the presence of coworkers tagging along to a bar or night club. But as the days, weeks, months, or years went by to no progress, Jennie all but gave up. Especially during a night out when Kai invited a random female to hang out at the bar with the news staff. He intentionally whispered in the female's ear causing her to giggle as she sipped on the cocktail he bought her while staring at Jennie the entire time. She blushed and turned away instead focusing on the crowd on the dance floor. The night ended with the female exiting the club holding Kai's hand as they climbed into his Mercedes-Benz C-Class to drive to his bachelor pad for the night.

 

Jennie smirked satisified with exacting her revenge on the unsuspecting handsome anchor.

 

"How you like that!," Jennie shouted in her head.

 

The mood of the news studio became serious when Ilhoon arrived with the class of interns for the day's broadcast. 

 

The main producer approached the intern supervisor, "CEO Ahn wishes to speak to you. If you could meet him in his office."

 

Ilhoon stuttered, "M-mhhm o-okay well can you gave the interns a list of today's assignments for me?"

 

"Yes I will," the main producer replied as Ilhoon handed her a clipboard. "Listen up students for your daily duties!"

 

The main producer instructed as Ilhoon walked to the elevators.

 

Eunhyuk walked through the doorway as Ilhoon left in worst shape than yesterday.

 

Jennie twisted her face in disgust to take in the greasy, matted hair, wrinkled clothes, scuffed up shoes, and the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke.

 

"What the...." Jennie remarked fanning the foul smell away from her nose.

 

Irene darted her eyes at Eunhyuk as quickly as she looked away. She didn't want him to know she saw him even worse to think the meteorologist was judging him. She shouldn't feel guilty but a part of her heart ached at the realization the sports analyst despised her.

 

"I did nothing wrong," she thought as the scene of Eunhyuk attempting to kiss her flashed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter