Day One

Love From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: Every chapter will be told from Irene's perspective first then Wendy's I will include a huge space to indicate when the story has changed points of view.

 

 

It was the typical start of the work week on a Monday morning. Irene arrived at 4:15am and sat in the make-up chair waiting for her hair and make-up team to doll her up for the day.

 

In the chair next to her sat her friend and co-anchor Jennie Kim who the team were tending to, finding the right shade of eyeshadow for her unique cat eye shaped lids. Jennie reached into her purse and dipped her finger in her cherry lip balm.

 

"My lips turn dry sitting here for hours while they fuss and bump into each other over my complexion, hair, and wardrobe," Jennie scoffed with an eyeroll.

 

Irene laughed but she couldn't help but feel a little envious of her friend for she use to be regarded as the "most beautiful news anchor" or at least that is what Seoul News Now, the news station she works for found out when they conducted a survey on the streets of Seoul.

 

That was two years ago before Jennie was hired and the moment she walked into the studio all eyes left Irene and followed Jennie instead especially when she was paired with her equally visually stunning co-anchor Kai. The viewers enjoyed their banter which some considered shameless flirting. The audience were itching for any evidence of a romance even stalking the couple outside the studio that the network had to employ extra security to keep the fanatics at bay.

 

Irene somewhat relished in the attention being taken away from her as the viewers of the news broadcast were becoming more and more delusional. Since the pairing of Jennie and Kai, they believed the whole news team were dating each other. 

 

Irene came across a fansite that suggested she was involved in a love triangle with Eunhyuk, the sports anchor and Jin, the traffic analyst. 

 

"As if," she snorted as she reported the fansite to the FTC. She shut her laptop as she swirled the glass of white wine in her hand. A glass of wine and a caseload of work seem to be her night routine. She approached the tall glass windows that displayed the colorful night skyline of Seoul. She had on a light pink silk button top and matching bottoms as she leaned against the window sipping her wine continuously.

 

"If I could only find that special someone," she pondered as she imagined herself in a beautiful white wedding dress, holding a bouquet of white peonies.

 

"Just a fantasy," she scoffed as she finished the glass and went into the bathroom to brush her teeth before turning in for the night.

 

Irene was bought back to reality when her energetic, young, and very handsome co-anchor Kai arrived with five bubble teas in hand.

 

"Ladies," he said as he placed two drinks in front of their vanity mirrors. He waved as he made his way over to where his male colleagues were standing. 

 

Irene noticed a slight blush present on Jennie's face and her lips curled into a small smile as she turned back to face the mirror.

 

Irene chuckled as she browsed the news topics on her phone. "What?," Jennie asked confused. 

 

"Nothing," replied Irene. "You are just lucky your stalker fans weren't here to witness that."

 

Jennie grimaced, "There is nothing to see because we are coworkers as well as friends, nothing more."

 

"If you say so," Irene said as the stylist brushed her hair so it flowed over her shoulders.

 

"Excuse me but aren't you busy juggling two men to be concerned with my love life," Jennie was smirking behind her phone screen as she tried to hold in her laughter.

 

Irene playfully hit her arm, "Yah! I thought that fansite was banned and of course it isn't true. Where do I have the time to date two men?"

 

Jennie shrugged but didn't direct her attention away from her phone.

 

"Hey Irene I was thinking do you want to go...," but Jennie never had a chance to finish as the CEO of the network entered the studio.

 

"Listen up everyone!," announced the big, burly man with a crew cut in his late 50s. "We have a small group of interns from Seoul University joining us today for two months." The group of male anchors groaned and someone said, "Great we have to be babysitters."

 

The CEO held up his arms and looked around, "Whoever said that well it isn't true because Il-hoon volunteered to look after the group so you are all off the hook."

 

The room erupted into cheers, fists pumps, and shouts of "yes!"

 

The CEO signaled for the room to quiet down before he finished, "Do me a really big favor and be kind and always come across as approachable. Remember this group is the future of broadcasting and everyone in this room had to start from somewhere. Thank you and carry on."

 

Kai wore a bright smile on his face he made his way over to the make-up chairs. Jennie and Irene were receiving the finishing touches on their wardrobes as the stylists were applying a lint roller to their outfits. 

 

"Man! My day just got worse I mean underclassmen roaming the studio for two months," he said as he tipped is chin with his finger. "Maybe I should ask for that vacation that was owed to me since last year."

 

Jennie playfully punched his shoulder and he gave her a mock look of hurt in return.

 

"Don't even think about leaving me to watch over a bunch of clueless students by myself," Jennie scolded as she wagged her finger in his face. Kai threw his hands up in surrender.

 

Irene found it amusing how the entire crew was blowing the whole scenario out of proportion.

 

"Hey CEO Ahn makes a good point that we all had to start somewhere so what do you say we cut them some slack," Irene tried to reason but was met with laughter.

 

Kai was sitting sideways with his feet over the arm of the chair when his face lit up with an idea. 

 

"What am I saying we can make these interns our personal servants! Go get me my coffee! Pick up my dry cleaning!"

 

"Wash my car!," Eunhyuk chimed in as he approached the group. Jennie and Kai roared with laughter.

 

Kai straighten his posture as he appeared deep in thought, "Thanks for the suggestion I may add that to my list of requests I mean it doesn't sound ridiculous to me. These young people are hungry so they will play along."

 

Irene rolled eyes as her coworkers continued to add to the outlandish requests of duties for the interns. She walked to center stage where Jin was fixing his hair with a hand held mirror.

 

"Jin you look fine," Irene chuckled.

 

Jin jumped a little as Irene startled him. He cleared his throat, "Fine is unacceptable as I have to live up to the slogan, "Kim Seok-jin so handsome he stops traffic." He cracked a lop-sided smile as he faced Irene.

 

"Right I forgot," Irene mumbled as she took a tablet from the desk and skimmed her notes for the broadcast. She stood in front of the green screen rehearsing her lines as she did before every taping. Once she was confident she was ready to be on-air, she took the time to observe the room. 

 

Jin was holding the mirror over his head and placing each strand of hair in the place he wanted it. Eunhyuk was joking around with Kai and Jennie as they snuck loving looks between them.

 

Irene shook her head for she concluded the news station needed the presence of young, energetic people to liven up the place.

 

 

 

Il-hoon stood outside the broadcasting learning center building with a computer typed sign that read Seoul News Now interns in bold print. The student adviser gathered the five chosen students to intern at the most popular news station for two months. It was discussed early in the semester that there was a handful of openings and the school board had to be selective.

 

Wendy wasn't interested in the front of the camera operations of broadcasting, she was more intrigued by the control room. She had a fascination with operating the machinery but she understood getting firsthand experience throughout the news station was required. From propping monitors to writing cue cards to probably making coffee runs.

 

"Please don't let it come to that," Wendy chuckled assuming it would be one of her tasks before the two months is up.

 

She surveyed her outfit in the mirror that morning and was pleased to find she selected something casual and not too formal. She didn't want to appear to be up by dressing up on the first day. She wore a cream, beige sweater, black jeans, and black platform Doc Marten dress shoes. She recently dyed her hair platinum blonde with bangs cut right above her eyebrows. She gave herself one last look before she exited her tiny one bedroom apartment near campus. Her classmate, Seojeong christened her apartment with the nickname shoebox whenever she stopped by.

 

"It is all I can afford while attending school full-time and working part-time at a retail store," Wendy retorted back to Seojeong's teasing.

 

"You know I love to riled you up Wendy and this is better than living in the dorms," Seojeong said as she rolled her eyes.

 

Wendy and Seojeong always met at Wendy's apartment to walk to the university together. Seojeong took the opportunity to raid Wendy's frig and enjoy some free WiFi on her phone. 

 

That morning she asked to use Wendy's laptop because Seojeong's crashed. She went to the search bar to type her email address but paused when she noticed Seoul News Now weather broadcast pop-up in recent searches. She turned to see Wendy busy in the bathroom applying eye make-up so she took the opportunity to click the link.

 

The screen had the current temperature displayed on the left side but the rest of the screen was covered with screen shots of the attractive weather woman named Bae Irene. Seojeong snickered as she read the comments underneath the photos, "Absolutely Gorgeous!"

"That's My Bae!"

"So stunning!"

"The only reason I watch the news!"

 

Seojeong heard Wendy's footsteps leaving the bathroom so she closed the tab. 

 

"Did you access your email? Are you ready to head out?," Wendy asked putting on her pea coat.

 

A smirk appeared on Seojeong's face as it became clear that Wendy took this internship at the news station to be close to her crush, Bae Irene. 

 

Wendy eyed her suspiciously and asked, "Why are you looking at me like that? Is everything alright?"

 

Seojeong's grin grew wider, "Everything is perfect!"

 

She wrapped her arm around Wendy's shoulders on their way to campus.

 

"Here I was worried she wasn't interested in anyone well it seems a certain meteorologist has captured my best friend's heart. Well sorry to say but it seems like a formidable task to put these two together but if she needs my help I will try to make it happen," Seojeong said in her mind as she skipped still clinging to Wendy.

 

Wendy was weirded out by her friend's behavior and was tempted to sprint to the broadcasting building. Seojeong knew something  but she wasn't sharing as she could be mischievious but that is why Wendy bonded with her.

 

"Well good luck on your internship," Seojeong said as she changed her direction to walk to the music building. Both girls had different majors but went out of their way to accompany the other to the building where their classes were held.

 

Wendy was instructed to meet in the audio room with the rest of the applicants. She was the last to arrive and she swallowed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter