His First Familiar

Herald of Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
VIII HIS FIRST FAMILIAR  

The first thing that I saw upon waking up is Taemin who is currently looking at me with intense anger reflecting on his silver eyes.

Like his usual demeanor, his face is a mask of aloofness and restrain. Not even a single hint of emotion is can be seen from him and it never fails to make me cower in fear. 

"Good morning?" I gave him a weak smile in hope that his intent gaze would leave me but it did not. To my dismay, his eyes only turned a lot more deadlier.

"I have warned you. I even told you to leave your house and come with me but you didn't," he started. "Now, look at what you got yourself into. You almost died again."

I swallowed hard and tried holding his gaze, "S-Sorry. I thought I can manage things on my own but it turns out that you were right, I can't."

Taemin's eyebrow raise in response. Then I came to realize that he was actually holding my hand. Being surprised, I yanked it away but my effort was to no avail. He only tighten his grip on mine and shook his head. 

​​​​​​"Don't, you need to heal and the fastest way for it to happen is through this. Believe me, I don't like being stuck with you as much as you do. You did it to yourself so bear with it." His voice came out like a sneer as he tighten his grip on my hand to the point that my fingers almost crush.

"Can you at least be gentle? You're crushing my bones!" I snicker causing for him to glare at me  even deadlier but he did loosen it anyways.

For several minutes, the two of remained staring at each other but the only difference is that my eyes reflected fright and his silver ones promises danger. 

The air gradually became awkward as the time continued ticking. Honestly, I am the type of person who find comfort in a silent place but being alone with him makes the situation unbearable. His mere presence was already intimidating and when he decided to open up his mouth to speak, every bones in my body seems to vibrate. He always have this effect on me and I kinda hate it since it makes me feel extra inferior to this... jerk. 

Suddenly, I remember mom and Wendy being possessed by eidolons and I stifled a loud gasp. "My home—eidolons have invaded my home. Mom and my cousin were possessed. Taemin—m-master, please help them. I can't go back there."

He gave me a weighing look before saying, "I've already deal with it."

"You did?" I asked with surprise obvious in my tone. 

"Yes," he replied. "After I told Seulgi to tuck you in on my bed and attend to your wounds, I went out to clean your mess. You attracted a lot of them, more than I have ever expected, and it took me hours to kill them all. You caused me a lot of trouble, little miss, and I will make you pay for it."

​​​​​​I paid no attention with his extortion and bombarded him with questions instead which irritated him. "Did they remember attacking me? I mean my mom and my cousin, will they be alright?" 

"Can you stop being annoying?" He hiss.

"Can you stop being a jerk?" I shouted at him and I instantly regretted it as his grip tighten around me once again that I wince due to the pain. 

"Sorry," my voice came out small and I quickly bow my head to avoid meeting his eyes. "B-But, were they fine?"

I heard knocks from the door and when it swung open, a smiling Seulgi greeted me and she carefully averted her gaze to the person beside me.

I carefully watch the two of them. Last night before I lose my consciousness, a thought built up in  my mind upon seeing the two of them, and I couldn't help but thinking that I disturb whatever that they were doing as the guy has been grumpy ever since last night. Did I really disturb something though? 

"I've brought her clean clothes," Seulgi said upon entering the room. "I think we have the same size. I can help her change."

On that note, Taemin finally let go of my hand and quickly vacated his seat. He was about to exit the room but before he do, he look at me once again and said, "They are both fine, I placed a protection spell on them so that no eidolon will possess them again. Also, you need to go back there to fetch your things. You will start living here whether you like it or not and this is not open for negotiations. Seulgi will come to help you."

"Wait, w-what will I tell them?" I asked, feeling helpless. 

"Don't worry about it anymore. I've also managed that. I will be waiting for you. Once you've returned, meet me at the training hall."

More questions pop into my mind and I have this feeling that Taemin already knew that I will ask him a lot of it. So upon telling me that, he quickly shuffled and exited the room leaving Seulgi and I alone inside his room. 

After hearing the door shut, Seulgi gave me an apologetic look and said, "I am really sorry for that. Like what I've told you before, he always have this tendency to be rude around people."

As she said that, she went to my side to help get up and remove my blood-stained clothes from last night. While helping me, my eyes unexpectedly landed on something dark and glowing at her wrist. It is a mark, a tattoo.

"Seulgi." I called on to her and she looked at me as she hum, 'hmm'. "I like your tattoo."

Seulgi gave me a confused look but upon realizing what I really meant, her face lit up and she chuckled. Then she raised her wrist, reaching my own as she did. "You mean these? These aren't tattoos. These are marque de familier, a familiar's mark."

I am the one who is confused this time. A familiar's mark, and true to its name, this ink appeared right after my master forced me to signed the agreement.

If Seulgi also possess this mark, that means that she is also a familiar like me. But how do I didn't noticed the mark on her before? Was she resurrected just recently? Looking closer, I came to notice that our marks were not identical. The two were entirely different. Hers was less complicated, and it resembles the female symbol.

Feeling intrigued I couldn't help asking, "You are also a familiar? If yes, do marks unique to every familiar and how come I didn't see it on you before?" 

A chuckle slipped from her lips again as she lightly shook her head. Giving me a grin she answered, "Yes, I am also a familiar and no. Marks are not unique, it represents who our master are. And you weren't able to see it before because only masters and familiars can see it. These marks are invisible to normal people."

I am growing more confused than ever after hearing her. My brows even knitted together while I tried understanding what she really meant by that. Feeling that I will never succeed, I gave up and resorted with asking her more questions, which to my luck, she patiently answers. 

I hope she don't mind though. Well, I am a newbie and all my master do is stare at me intently, be irritated at me, or scorn at me. He didn't even explain things that I should and shouldn't do as his familiar!

I don't even know if he has plans of telling me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter