Speculation

Herald of Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
III SPECULATION  

I am continuously being bombarded by handful of thoughts ever since my last encounter with the creepy guy named Taemin. 

Aside from him, his questions is what really bothered me. Only days ago he asked me things that are considered to be too confusing. It got me pacing out every now and then, lost in deep contemplation, trying so hard to understand what he really meant by those.

​​​​I don't want to see him again because he creeps me out big time so whenever I am at the university, I do my best to avoid him specially in french class. I even asked Krystal a favor to switch seats with her, which to my comfort, she agreed with no questions. 

My head has been filled with the same thoughts over and over again and even my dreams are being infiltrated by him. Last night was no different.

Just now, I got up with a throbbing headache due to my lack of sleep. I grew restless since everytime that I am closing my eyes, my head will be filled with flashback of our last meeting and it slowly getting into my nerves. While still lying on my bed, I recalled our conversation again. 

 

Taemin, on his midnight suit, stared at me like I am a puzzle that needs to be solved. He took a step closer to where I stood and I my feet automatically took a step back. I could have laugh at how silly we looked, well, only if our location is less scary.

Still wearing his amused expression the guy asked me, "Who are you? No, the real question is, what are you?" 

Despite the seriousness hanging in the air around us, I manage to snort and eventually laugh. I look at him ridiculously and said, "Is that some sort of a joke? I am not a 'what', I am a 'who'."

But looking at him says that he's not buying everything that I am telling. 

"Okay, pffft. Who am I? My name is Son Naeun, a fine arts student whose taking painting as her major, and I am classmate of yours in French. Nice to meet you." I introduce myself to him, almost failing to remain serious, as I am struggling to refrain myself from laughing again. I even extended my hand to offer him a handshake but he just look at me intensely. 

My brow arched slowly as I waited for him to talk. I counted ten seconds before finally putting back my extended arm at my side as it starting to get really awkward by just hanging in the air. 

"Are you going to talk or you're just going to stare at me?" I speak out a little impatient. 

"Quit fooling around. Tell me who you really are," he said with a voice laced with coldness and swiftly reached for my wrist, holding it with force. 

"H-Hey! I already told you my name! Do you still want me to go on to details? My birthday, where I was born, the name of my parents? And geez, let me go," I am starting to get irritated but this creepy guy won't even budge.

I took a deep breath and glare at him as I said defeatedly, "Fine! Like what I've told you, I am Son Naeun, born in 10th of February here in Cheongdom-dang, Seoul. My parents are Son— ouch!" 

I yelp in surprise as I felt his grip on my wrist is tightening. The amused look the he was wearing earlier has morphed into something darker and something flashed into his feature. It was quick like some sort of a glitch. I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me or not, but I swear I saw his eyes changed its color. I thought I saw the same silver orbs that I once saw in my dreams. 

On that note, my heart's beating doubled and my breathing became laboured. I wanted to run but his grip was too firm. Rotating my wrist was also impossible. 

"You're a ghoul," he said firmly which made me even more confused and frightened. 

"What do you mean? Ghoul like from the manga 'Tokyo Ghoul'? Heck no, I am a hundred percent human! Look, I don't even have a kagune, see? Ghouls are not even real!" I answered nervously.

"I said quit fooling around! If you're refusing then fine. Let's do this my way," his voice remained aloof. 

A few streak of light from the setting sun remained illuminating the alley. Cool breeze blew, giving me goosebumps, and on Taemin's free hand appeared a black, shiny staff. 

He finally let me go but when I tried to step away, I found out that my feet were glued to the floor. Suddenly, the creepy guy raised his staff and was about to hit me with it but a series of voices and laughter echoed in the alley.

When I looked behind I found a group of friends about my age. I was ready to scream for help but a swooshing sound filled my ears and when I glance back, my oppressor was  gone and I can freely move again. 

 

A long, deep sigh escaped from my lips as I finally decided to prepare for another day in school. For today, I opted for an oversized shirt paired with a denim skirt, and didn't bother stylish my hair anymore. Having no appetite for breakfast, I silently creep out of the house and went to school on an empty stomach.

To my surprise, Seulgi and I arrived almost at the same time in the university. I was about to walk up to her to ask if we can go to our class together but my plan shattered instantly as I saw a guy tailing her and it is no other than Taemin. I pivoted so I can avoid running into them but I wasn't quick enough as I heard Seulgi started calling for my name. 

I was left with no other choice so after releasing a long breath, I forced myself to smile and turn slowly around to face them. With a 'not-so-cheerful' voice I greeted her, "Oh hello! What a right timing. I no longer need to walk to class alone."

I give my best to make my smile a little less ingenuine which I knew it didn't work as I heard a snort from her creepy boyfriend. When I throw a quick glance at him and saw how the side of his mouth tug up slowly into a smirk. Creepy jerk! 

​​​​​​"I will be going. Meet me by the gates later." I know that those words were not meant for me but I couldn't help shivering from fear. His voice was icy, not even a hint of emotion can be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter