L'accord Èternel

Herald of Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
VI L'ACCORD ÈTERNEL  

I instantly knew that I died the moment that I felt my heart stops beating.

I never imagined that my death will be this tragic. I am too young to die; I still have a lot of things to learn, places to discover, and people to meet. But I guess this is my reality. Perhaps my life was written this way—short and not really that meaningful. 

Dying feels like plummeting to a vast unknown only that instead of falling, you will feel that a part of your being is rising. Could it be that it is my soul? 

A woman and a young boy suddenly materialize foots away from me but there is something wrong about them. Their bodies are translucent, ghost-like, and they float in the air with their head moving constantly from left to right, as if looking for someone or something.

"What are you looking for?" I asked but my voice sounded far and foreign.

The two, hand in hand, went to my side and the woman offered her palm. "The gatekeeper, we need to find the gatekeeper so that we could cross."

"Cross? To where?" I asked but accepted her open palm anyways. 

As I get pulled along the two of them I saw plenty of others like them, like us, hovering around the still burning building. They move in cluster and move restlessly around, eager to find this so-called gatekeeper. Do they mean the reaper? 

Then I suddenly snap my head towards somewhere, all of us did, as we felt it. The gate—the gate has finally opened!

It feels warm and inviting, and flowery scent coming from the inside ooze out and muted the burning smell of the building. I wanted to run towards it. I wanted to pass through. But if I do, what will I find there? 

More hazy figures materialize around, both young and old, male and female, and they lined in front of the gate restlessly as all of them are eager to get inside, well, I do too. 

One by one, they entered and when finally it's my turn, extreme joy burst in me. 

At first, I let in my hand and felt warmth vibrated into my translucent body. Slowly, I extended my hand further and let myself be consumed by the gate. 

"Naeun!" I heard a voice calling for me from afar. "Don't cross that gate."

The voice is familiar but I can barely recall it as the warmth from the gate is inviting. I am curious, I wanted to see who's calling me but a paradise is waiting for me inside the gate, I can't let this moment pass. 

"Naeun, comeback." I halted instantly upon hearing the plea on the voice. But who could it be? Who are you? And why should I comeback? 

"Come, come, sweet child! Come with us! Come here and experience paradise!" A woman hovered in front of me across the gate and with a smile, she lightly tugs me further inside. But hesitation gets into me as the voice from somewhere continued calling for my name. 

"No, Naeun. Don't listen to them. Come here, come back to me."

Moments later I felt a hand reached for my other arm. It was warm, firm, but gentleness can be felt. Who ever it is who is trying to tear me away from paradise must be powerful. His touch is a beckon and I can't do anything to resist it.

Yes, the gate promises warmth and comfort but his touch is a lot more enticing.

I pry myself away from the woman's grip and let the beckoning hands led me away and lock me into a tight embrace.

"That's right," the voice said softly as he caress my hair gently. "You don't belong there. You belong here with me, with us. No pain will to you ever again. You'll be safe."

Just like his touch, his voice is also soothing and on that note, I let myself believe. 

Despite of not knowing who truly is, I made myself trust his words and with a peaceful smile, I close my eyes again and I allowed him to led me away from my paradise. 

 

 

 

High-pitched, steady beeping sound woke me up with a start and two sets of glassy eyes almost made me scream.

"Naeun, thank God, you're okay!" Wendy pulled me into a crashing hug and wailed like a baby. 

"W-Wait, what happened?" My head is a mess and no matter how hard I tried, I failed in recalling every single detail that has happened to me. Aside from it, I feel weak and all I want to do is to go back to sleep again. 

"Don't you remember anything?" My mother's voice came from my left and I slowly shifted to face her and she give me a hug. Like my cousin, her face is wet with tears. 

"No," I mumbled. 

My mom released a long sigh as she went to sit into my hospital bed and enclosed me into an embrace. 

Embrace—a dream, or perhaps a memory, rushes back into me. I remember the gates, my translucent body and the beckoning touch that pulled me away from it. 

Oh my gosh, I died! But how did I manage to get back? Who took me back? 

"You went to the exhibit days ago but an accident happened and the whole venue caught in fire, you were inside. Your pulse was already gone by the time that they able to get you out but.." 

Mom paused as she wipe a single tear that fell down from her eye then continued, "But a miracle happened. You, you started breathing again. Oh, Naeun, I thought I am going to lose you too."

But she almost lost me too, she almost lost me like my dad, but thanks to that beckoning hand I'm not able to cross the gate. If I did, I will be dead for real and my mother will mourn and will be left with nothing. 

​​​​​​"By the way, someone came by to see you." Wendy reached for my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "He has been going here since the day you were confined. He said he is your friend. Actually, he is outside still waiting for you to wake up. Should I call him in?" <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter