Reapers

Herald of Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
IV REAPERS  

After agreeing with him, Jaehyun gladly help me in returning the books that I used to their respective shelves.

It was actually a relief to have someone helping me with this stuff especially that I did not realized that I took a lot of books. If I were to do this alone I am pretty sure that it would take me a whole hour to finish. 

Jaehyun dusted his hands off with invisible dirts when putting back the last of the books in place. "There, all done!" 

I gave him a small smile and was about to thank him for his help but before I can even do so, my stomach growl loudly in protest. I am sure that he heard it and I feel embarrassed. After hearing him snort, I quickly look down to hide my burning cheeks. 

"Is that a dragon that I hear?" Jaehyun playfully commented making me bow my head deeper. 

"S-Sorry," I mumbled weakly and confessed "Haven't had anything yet today."

"Hey, Miss Son. It's bad to skip meals! Come on, we could eat first then I'll tell you what I know," Jaehyun casually reach for my wrist and pulled me lightly to the exit. 

Once we were out of the comfort of the library, the noise from the busy street flooded my ears. It almost sunset and I couldn't believe that I am able to suppress my hunger for this long. I shake my head out of disbelief and then pulled myself free from his grip. 

"Yah, Jaehyun-ssi, where are you taking me? Didn't I say I'll be the one to pick the place?" I cross my arms and look at him seriously but the ever so cheerful guy only laugh. 

"Right, right, my bad. So Miss Son, where do you want to go?" He flashed me those dimple smile once again. 

"Back to Cheongdam-dong. I know a good place there."

Jaehyun shrug his shoulders and then scratch his head. "Fine with me. I guess I'll be home early today."

I look at him in confusion. "What do you mean?" 

"My home is in Cheongdam-dong, well, not really. Let's just say I'm staying there for a while," he murmured and start walking but only to stop again as I refuse to follow him. "Are you going to walk or do you still need me to carry you?"

I groan miserably at his airiness but I still follow him anyways. 

 

 

 

Jaehyun and I arrived at the café faster than I expected. 

Being a regular visitor of the place, the café owner greeted me with a huge smile on her face and said, "Naeun-ah, this is a surprise! I've never seen you with someone other than sweet Wendy or Krystal. Is this handsome boy your boyfriend?"

My eyes widen upon hearing Mrs. Kim said that. I wanted to deny it but she quickly turned her attention fully on Jaehyun giving me no space to even do it. 

​​​​​​I look at Jaehyun and mouthed him 'help' but the guy pretended not see me and just let the woman continue praising him with his 'good looks'. Ugh, so conceited! 

"Go on, lovebirds. There are still few seats available inside, please make yourselves comfortable and I'll be back with your food." Mrs. Kim pushed the two of us further inside the café and left for the kitchen. 

After finding a good, semi-secluded place, I face the already chuckling Jaehyun, squinting my eyes at him. "You are unbelievable!" 

"Oh come on. Isn't this fun? We can pretend to be couples while we are here and the owner seems to be happy to see me with you. I don't want to spoil her joy," Jaehyun said in delight and gave me a wink.

Slightly irritated, I rolled my eyes on him and fumbled inside my bag for a pad and a pen. "Are we going to start the 'reaper' thing while waiting for our orders or you'd rather sit there and laugh to yourself?" 

"Sorry," he chuckled again. "Okay, time to get serious!" After he said that, the smile vanished from his face as if he turned off some switch off. His feature abruptly turned remote and his eyes cold which remind me someone that I no longer want to think about or remember. It gives me chills! 

​​​​​​"There are no written proofs but a lot of people claim that reapers are not just a form of human's imagination," Jaehyun said with a start which caused me to sit alertly and readied my pen to scribble down notes. "Without their knowledge, reapers actually live among them, displaying as humans and even doing normal stuffs like them."

"You mean anyone can be suspected to be a reaper?" I asked. "But is there a way to tell if a person a 'real person' or not?" 

Jaehyun nod slightly and gave me a tight smile. "There is but only if reapers want to do so."

"Like displaying their abilities or something?" 

"Right. Reapers are known as herald of death and it comes with several abilities. Actually, a reaper's job is not compromised with harvesting souls from a dying person, which are called Strays, but it is also their responsibility to open up gates and assist these souls to cross to the other world, but according to my father, their work is not as easy as it sounds. He said that there are intrusions. A soul's crossing don't always go smoothly."

"And why is that?" Anticipation is slowly building inside me as Jaehyun continued talking about his tale. 

Jaehyun was about to answer my question but a moment later, Mrs. Kim came back and serve our orders. The two of accepted it with a smile and told her our thanks. Before going, the woman didn't forget to praise Jaehyun's charm and even giving the guy a soft pinch on his cheeks.

"Aigo, aigo, your man is really handsome, Naeunie! I wish my son will look like him when he grows up." Mrs. Kim said in a dreamy voice before leaving us to have our fill. 

Jae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter