Rekindling Affinity

Herald of Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
XIV REKINDLING AFFINITY  

I keep staring at the man who is currently standing in front of us with both familiarity and alienation. Based on the name that Taemin just called him, that concludes that he is also a reaper like my master. Jaehyun, the person who helped and told me about reapers, happens to be one. 

His lips morphed into a grim smile as he address my master and said, "Hello, brother. I have a message to tell."

Taemin gave his brother a long look before answering, "Was it that bad that you have to smile at me like that?" 

"Worse than that." Jaehyun said it even grimmer than before and I caught his eyes wandered around my face after he do so. 

Like me, he was wearing the same puzzled look that I have as we stare each other down. But if I were to compare his from his brother's, I would say that Taemin's stare is way more deadlier and scarier than his. Actually, Jaehyun is currently staring at me out of pure intrigue. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Taemin must have felt that his brother and his familiar were having some sort of silent conversation and it caused him to clear his throat extra loud. 

"If that so, let me hear it. Wait for me in the study. I have to wash up first." I tore my gaze away from Jaehyun and shifted it to my master and saw that he was casually pointing on the silk pajama that he's still wearing.

"Can we talk about this over breakfast instead? I'm starving!!" The composure that Jaehyun was holding suddenly vanished as he flashed his puppy face to his older brother. 

I thought that Taemin will mock him like what he always do to me when I make the same face but to my surprise, he just groaned and roll his eyes over his younger brother and said, "Fine, fine. Make your selves comfortable and I'll have the food be prepared."

Taemin snatched my wrist and was about to leave to change but Jaehyun shouted his name, I mean, his other name. 

​​​"Wait, big bother Francesco! Is Lysandra the one cooking?" He asked and Taemin quickly nodded. "Bingo! Can you ask her to make my favorite souffle pancakes, please? And oh, tell her to add more syrup!" 

"Ugh seriously, Luc Sebastian? When will you stop being a brat?" Taemin groan and the younger only grin.

"Come on, big bro. I know that you can't resist this brat."

My head literally snap back and forth to the siblings as they throw words after words like typical children. If I were just not afraid to my own master, I could have chuckled at the two of them. Well, I am actually glad that I am not the only one who irritates Taemin. Jaehyun seems to be good at it as I am. 

Just like what he did earlier, Taemin rolled his eyes once again and muttered his deafeat. "Okay, fine. I'll see you in the dining hall."

With that, my master started walking away from the receiving area with me being dragged along with him. As he did, I heard Jaehyun practically calling for my name but Taemin's pace increased leaving me no room for me to turn back.

Instead of letting me go when we reached the door of his room, Taemin pulled me as well inside and close the door. 

"You know my brother?" His brown eyes lingered on my face as he asked me that. "How?" 

"We met on a library before. I was in search of a good reading material that can help me with my art project and he happened to be seating in front of me when I was reading the book about reapers." 

"And?" He seems to be unsatisfied. He kept staring at me with a searching look seating on his handsome face and I could see the gradual arching of one of his brows. 

"He laugh at me but he offered me his help anyways. He told me everything about reapers, ghouls, eidolons, and strays. He said that all those information was from his father," I suddenly paused as I intake a sharp breath and then chuckled lightly. "It turns out to be that his father was actually a reaper himself. The Pilgrim Reaper."

"He told you everything?" Taemin was taken aback after hearing my words but with a shook of his head, I realized that he wasn't truly surprised. He even smile a bit as if he's already expecting it. "Ah, that bratty Sebastian is really a big pain in the ."

"But you love him right? You adore your brother's playfulness." I suddenly blurted which caused him to scoff.

"Shut up and change your clothes. I'll wait for you to finish." His voice was sharp but on the contrary, the way that he shoved me towards the hole was gentle and with that, a knowing smile erupted from my lips.

This morning, I came to realize one thing and that was Taemin isn't as cruel as I thought. It was just a facade. He chose to appear as a cold-hearted man but deep inside him lies a caring man. 

The death of Marcella hasn't taken away this side of him afterall and I am willing to do or to give everything just to bring back the old him. 

 

 

 

Taemin and I walked to the dining hall side by side and food were already served by the time that the two of us entered the room. My master took the seat in front of his already eating brother and just like always, I quickly followed suit. 

"Ah, Naeun! I asked Lysandra to cook extra souffle pancakes for you. You need to try it, this is seriously delicious!"

A heartbeat later, I found my plate being filled with three cup-sized souffles and Jaehyun even do the honors of pouring syrup into it. I absent-mindedly chuckled on his enthusiasm and it actually earned a wide grin from the young male. 

​​​​​​Jaehyun's service did not ended there. After filling up my plate, he personally pour a glass of orange juice for me. With a wink he said with a soothing voice, "Enjoy your meal, mademoiselle." 

"Oi, Sebastian! What do you think are you doing? I saw that. Stop flirting with what's mine​​​​​​!" I almost choke on the souffle when I heard what Taemin said. Did he just said that I am his? 

The younger reaper laugh loudly at his brother's remark. "You're too grumpy! I'm not even flirting. I just want to help your familiar out." I did not miss on the way he put an emphasis on the part pf telling Taemin 'your familiar'. 

"If you're not then enlighten me, is winking necessary?" Taemin growled. 

"Are you getting mad?" Jaehyun asked in disbelief. Suddenly, the younger brother's lip tugged up into a mischievous smile and he added, "Are you jealous?" 

Jaehyun's question made the older reaper to growl even more deadlier as if giving him a warning to shut his foul mouth. But the younger seems not to mind, he wasn't even afraid of his brother, and he laugh too loud as he keep threwing Taemin a funny look. But the joyous state of him quickly vanished as his face suddenly morphed into something sad when his eyes caught me once again. 

Confirming what I saw Jaehyun said in a softest voice, "I thought I'll never see you again."

My spoon stopped in midway as I heard him said that and I threw him a puzzled look. "What do you mean by that?" 

"I knew that you'll die that night. I've warned you, I told you not to go." 

"W-Wait, the unknown number was you? I thought it was just a.. prank so I didn't follow." 

"But ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter