False Awakening

Herald of Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
I FALSE AWAKENING  

A loud rasping sound woke me up with a start. Looking at my bedside table, my led clock tells me that it is only three in the morning, meaning dawn will not yet come for the next two hours.

My throat feels too dry for my liking so despite of feeling a little light headed from my sudden awakening, I force myself to stand and went downstairs to fetch a glass of water. My footsteps are light but since the night has been completely silent, my every steps echoed in our empty house.

Still half asleep, I blindly navigated the kitchen and open up one of the cardboard to look for a glass I could use for drinking but I heard a shuffling sound from behind causing me to stifle a cry and look around, I found no one. 

"Mom, is that you?" I called out, only to be greeted by silence. 

Shrugging, I pour myself a glass of water and chug it down on to my throat. Halfway through my glass, another rustle distracted me, causing me to finish my water with speed. 

My heart was already beating fast by the time that I reached the foot of the stairs but when I am about to go up, my eyes caught a shadow moving from the outside of our window and I could not stop myself from prying. It is the middle of night, who ever that is out in the streets at this time is out of his mind.

A bit hesitant, I tiptoed towards the window and pry the curtain slightly to peek outside. None, the streets are empty. 

No, there must be someone lurking outside. Perhaps the trees are only obscuring my view so I parted the curtain a bit more and tried to look closer but still I didn't see anything. 

"What am I doing? I should go back to sleep," I whispered while shaking my head. 

I was about to go back but then I felt warm breath coming from my back and it was horrifyingly close. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, shudder shooting down to my spine, and I couldn't move. I wanted to scream, I wanted to run upstairs but my feet refuse to move. 

I closed my eyes tightly and silently praying for my mom or anyone from the house to go downstairs. But a few moments later, the eerie feeling was gone. 

Slowly, I open up my eyes, one lid after another, and a gasp escaped from my mouth. 

I was no longer in the house! Under the starless skies, with only the moon left to illuminate the night, I stood alone in a dark alley.

The wind blows angrily but sweat has been reeking from me. I am scared, I do not know this place and I don't know how the hell I even get here! 

Chills crept inside me as the alley started to get foggy. It is like a scene from one of the horror movies I've watched. A person walking alone in an abandoned streets, fog gathering up, then someone will snatch her and kill her. A shudder escaped from me once again as I tried clearing my head. Thinking things like that wouldn't help. I need to find my way home. 

As I start walking, I came to realize that the alley was familiar. If I can recall it right, this place is three blocks away from our home. It is in the same street where my favorite café stood. 

Thud.

I turned my head abruptly towards the source of the noise. Huffing away my fear, I took several steps forward so I could have a good view of it but the thickness of the fog prevented me so. 

I gulp several times before I manage to pull myself together and walks towards it. When I came to investigate it up close, horror field my inside. It's a man, he was bleeding, and is currently gasping for breath. 

"H-Help!" My voice broke. "Somebody please, help us!" 

But we are in the middle of the night, I doubt anyone would hear me, everyone is most likely asleep. 

I was left with no other choice. With a shaking hand, I tried moving the man so I can see his face. He bleeding too much, soaking up my silk pajama, and I can't even locate where the blood is coming from.

"Mister, are you alright?" I started, but instead of answering, the man only stared at me with a dull eyes. 

"H-Hey, can you hear me? What happen—" My words come into a halt as I felt the raspy breath near my neck once again. My breathing becomes heavy. I brave myself and slowly, I turn around but found nothing. 

"Mister, I don't know how to help you but we need to get out of here right now." I tried sounding calm but I know I failed miserably. Instead of worrying, I push myself to drag the man away from the alley.

Moments later, noises filled the street. Unearthly shrieks and howls vibrated through my eardrums causing for my heart to race, surging up into my throat. 

I look up to check how far we still are from the main street and that is when I saw someone at the end of the street. He was standing there motionless as if waiting for us to reach him. Under the moonlight I saw that he was completely clad in dark clothes with a weird looking robe thrown over him. 

I was about to call for his help but then he look up. My throat bobbed as I beheld his face. He was young and actually handsome but it was his eyes that really caught my attention, it was extraordinary. His eyes was silver like the moon and I couldn't help but stare.

But all of my amazement vanished as the mystery man raised a dagger, rush into our direction, and I screamed.

Bzzzt. Bzzz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter