A Master's Blade

I’ll make a man out of you

A/n: Are you wondering where Jisung is?

 

 

---

 

Chenle was hungry, of course he was and definitely the camp was not serving gourmet. Kun rolled his eyes as Chenle pouted but he wanted to be here, so he’ll deal with it. Chenle huffed his cheeks then stomped towards the kitchen, Dejun following him like the good retainer that he is. He met with Renjun and Jaemin, and he greeted them happily, knowing that the two omegas were capable fighters, Renjun a close combat fighter to boot.

 

 

“Trust my cousins to include me in their training.” Renjun dismissed it.

 

 

“Your coordination with Yangyang was awesome.” Jaemin said with starry eyes.

 

“We grew up together and trained together, he’s my best friend and he always looked out for me.” Renjun explained.

 

 

“You sure you’re not mates?” Jaemin insisted and Renjun rolled his eyes.

 

 

“He’s my last resort. He’s annoying.” Renjun said and it made Jaemin smile.  “Can I have him then?” Jaemin asked making Dejun, Chenle and Renjun stop and looked at Jaemin as if he grew a second head. ‘What?” Jaemin asked and it made Renjun laugh.

 

‘Sure, he’s all yours.” Renjun laughed loudly and continued to walk towards the kitchens, Chenle, Dejun and Jaemin followed him laughing.

 

 

The kitchen was not a kind environment where rations were divided to thousands of soldiers, but Renjun and Jaemin were tough cookies and the betas assigned to the kitchens adored them plus the fact that Youngho had assigned them to cook especially for the Princes. There was a commotion in the mess hall and when the four looked at it, they found a male by the floor and clutching a tray while an older man was scolding him.

 

 

“Excuse me, what happened here?” Chenle asked and the alpha grunted and pointed to the boy by the floor.

 

“This is a war zone, clumsy excuses like this kid has no place for.” The alpha spat out and that made the omega prince angry.

 

 

“Well this country is not in need of pompous alphas like you who can’t even hold a sword properly!” Chenle spat back and that made the alpha angrier.

 

 

“You did not just insult me.” The alpha gritted.

 

 

“He most definitely did.” They all turn their heads towards the entrance to watch Taeyong walk towards the group. “But once you lay a hand on the prince, you will be charged with treason, so why not take me on?” Taeyong challenged and that took the cake.

 

 

“Let’s do it..’ The alpha replied and walked out of the mess hall.

 

“i’ll handle this, take care of the kid.” Taeyong said and Dejun helped the boy up just as Taeyong walked out to fight the pompous alpha.

 

 

“Let’s take him to the medical tent.” Dejun announced and Jaemin helped him pick the boy up.

 

Taeil frowned as he took a look at the kid who had a sprained ankle and wrist that he got from being pushed down harshly. Jungwoo took over to bandage the injured limbs and Donghyuck offered him ointments to ease the pain.

 

 

“Alphas.” Taeil shook his head.

 

 

“It’s better that he stay here.” Sicheng said and Taeil looked at him. “He’s too young to fight, he could just help around here.” Sicheng said and Taeil knew that it was the best for the boy. “What’s your name boy?” Sicheng asked and the boy swallowed hard.

 

 

“He’s not gonna eat you.” Donghyuck assured him.

 

 

‘Jisung.” The boy replied and the poor state of the boy tugged on the hearts of the omegas.

 

 

“I will beat the crap out of him.” Jaemin gritted, his omega instinct kicking in and wanting to protect the boy he only met.

 

“You don’t know how to fight Jaemin.” Renjun rolled his eyes. “Ill kick his .” Renjun said and the two omegas grinned at each other and high fived.

 

“You two shut up, you’re not going to kick his , I will.” Chenle said through gritted teeth and Jisung looked at the prince with fearful eyes.

 


’It’s not necessary your majesty.” Jisung squeaked making the omegas coo at him.

 

“We’ll protect you don’t worry.” Renjun assured the boy and smiled as he ruffled his hair.

 

 

“Forgive me but are you an omega?” Jisung squeaked and Renjun glared at him before laughing.

 

 

‘Will you keep it a secret?” Renjun asked and Jisung nodded furiously. “Good, we’ll keep you safe, and you keep our secret okay?” Renjun said and Jisung beamed a toothy smile.

 

 

“I’ll adopt him!” Jaemin squealed and hugged the kid making the boy wince as his wrist was squashed by the omega. ‘Sorry.” Jaemin chuckled.

 

 

----

 

Taeyong stepped on the field to meet the pompous alpha for a challenge. He took out his sword and walked with confidence when a hand stopped him. Taeyong looked at the person who stopped him and it was Yuta.

 

 

“Your blade has micro cracks, it may not stand a chance with another powerful blow and eventually break.” Yuta informed him.

 

 

“How can you tell?” Taeyong asked and Yuta sighed.

 

“I saw your blade up close during the spar.” Yuta replied then took out his own sword. “Use mine, it’s the strongest and sharpest blade made by Nakamoto.” Yuta said and Taeyong’s jaws drop, of course, the Nakamoto blades are known as the best of the best, and expensive due to its rarity.

 

“I trust you on this one.” Taeyong said as he took the blade and gave his sword to Yuta who nodded and took a step back.

 

Taeyong faced the alpha head on, not holding back as he attacked fast and strong. Taeyong grinned as he held the blade in his hands, it was sharp and strong, a true masterpiece that only Master Nakamoto can create. It felt right on his hands, a perfect fit for him. The weight pushes forward making ing a charm. The blade was extremely sharp that even the slightest kiss of metal was enough to draw blood. He grinned as he watched the alpha struggle, he felt invincible with the Nakamoto blade in his hands, a powerful tool that was like made for him.

 

 

The challenge ended with Taeyong standing strong and tall and the alpha bruised and shaken up. Taeyong walked back to Yuta who bowed at the sergeant.

 

“Does the blade has a name?” Taeyong asked and Yuta shook his head.

 

“You can name it, it’s yours.” Yuta replied, shocking the alpha.

 

 

“I can’t have this, it’s yours.” Taeyong insisted.

 

 

“No, the rightful owner is you. The Nakamoto blade chooses its master, it’s clearly yours.” Yuta explained.

 

Of course, one of the charms of the Nakamoto blade, it really wasn’t available for everyone even for the rich, because the blade was only made for the worthy wielders, and the master gauges who can get the blade.

 

 

“I can’t accept this.” Taeyong replied.

 

 

“I’ll have your blade then, you can have that.” Yuta bargained.

 

 

“No, that’s not how it works.” Taeyong raised his voice a little.

 

“Trust me, the blade is yours.” Yuta started to walk away but Taeyong wasn’t really understanding this.

 

 

“Yukkuri.” Taeyong shouted and Yuta turned to the alpha. “I will name her Yukkuri.” Taeyong said and it made Yuta smile, A beautiful smile that took Taeyong’s breath away.

 

“Yukkuri.” Yuta said back and Taeyong knew, he had gained a master’s approval.

 

 

-----   

 

Ten and Doyoung were grinning as they watched Yuta walk back to them, carrying the alpha’s sword with him. The unnamed blade was Yuta’s pride and joy, a masterpiece that hadn’t found its master until now. They knew what it meant, it meant not only recognition for Yuta’s work, but also, it was the recognition of the mate as the unnamed blade, now known as Yukkuri, is the partner of the blade that lies on Yuta’s side, Taiyou.

 

“You found your mate.” Ten chirped and it made Yuta laugh.

 

“Have I?” Yuta teased but of course, it was truly the case as Yuta held the alpha’s previous sword and unsheathed it, inspecting the forge and the quality and frowned at how it was not at par for the strength and skills of Taeyong

 

“How was the blade?” Ten dared to ask and Yuta sheathed it back.

 

 

“Crap.” Yuta replied making Ten laugh.

 

“Such a waste huh?” Ten asked and Yuta nodded.

 

 

“So how was the prince?” Yuta asked and it made Doyoung look at Ten and grin.

 

 

“You got a bit of an altercation earlier.” Doyoung chimed in.

 

‘Oh he’s nice, packs the moves not just the talk.” Ten replied with a grin.

 

 

“I could tell, he wasn’t holding back.” Doyoung added.

 

 

“Sure he wasn’t, it feels good you know, to fight someone who at least respects your skill.” Ten shrugged and Yuta nodded.

 

“So the rankings and pairings will be released later?” Yuta asked and Doyoung nodded.

 

 

“Of course, the rankings and pairings.” Doyoung sighed.

 

 

“Why the long face Doie?” Yuta asked.

 

“What if I am not paired with any of you?” Doyoung asked and Yuta hugged him.

 

 

“It will be fine, whoever will be paired with you would be lucky because you surely takes care of them,do everything in your power to protect them.” Ten assured and it was a sappy moment.

 

 

“Thank you.” Doyoung said, a smile forming on his face.

 

 

---

 

“Hello partner.” Yoonoh greeted as he sat across Doyoung in the mess hall, the older was midway shoving the spoon of rice into his mouth.

 

“Partner?” Doyoung asked and Yoonoh nodded and handed him a piece of scroll where it was indeed written that Doyoung will be paired off with Yoonoh.

 

“Yes, aren’t you excited hyung?” Yoonoh asked Doyoung laughed half-heartedly. “You don’t really want to be paired with me?” Yoonoh pouted and Doyoung sighed.

 

 

“No, don’t take it like that, it’s not that I don’t want to partner with you, it’s more of how will I protect you.” Doyoung confessed and it made Yoonoh smile wide.

 

 

“I’m pretty easy to take care off.” Yoonoh winked making Doyoung laugh.

 

“Okay, whatever you say.” Doyoung replied and continued eating his dinner, chatting up with Yoonoh once in a while.

 

 

“You’re quite a talker.” Doyoung remarked and Yoonoh nodded.

 

“I guess I am.” Yoonoh replied. ‘Wanna go for a morning run together?” Yoonoh asked and Doyoung frowned.

 

 

“i don’t like exercising.” Doyoung mused.

 

“Ah, but you need endurance somehow.” Yoonoh insisted. ‘What about you run a few meters until we build your endurance?” Yoonoh suggested and it made Doyoung sigh and nod nonetheless. “Great. Sunrise?” He asked and Doyoung nodded once more.

 

 

--

 

 

Taeyong inspected the blade, a katana now named as Yukkuri,  and it never ceased to amaze him at the craftmanship the Nakamoto provides for each and every blade they produce. The polish was pristine, and the blade sharp, flexible but sturdy. It had the carvings of a sakura in different stages of bloom while an Aosaginohi flew on the inlays of the handle. It’s a work of art and clearly made with a particular person in mind. Taeyong couldn’t believe it, a blade of this caliber has been given to him and he couldn’t be any happier. It felt like it was made for him, an extension of him, and he felt powerful, invincible even.

 

He observed the details and he could see the mark of the Nakamoto but it was clearly different from the ones Kun and Youngho had, both crafted by Master Nakamoto himself, Yukkuri was forged by a different Nakamoto, another master in the making.

 

 

“Nice blade.” Youngho remarked as he entered Taeyong’s room.

 

 

“It is isn’t it.” Taeyong replied.

 

“A Nakamoto blade?” Youngho asked and Taeyong nodded as he handed it to the older alpha. Youngho inspected it and he approved of the quality, a true masterpiece. “This is not from Master Tatsuo.” Youngho stated his observation.

 

 

“That’s what I thought.” Taeyong answered him.

 

 

“It is different but it is still a Nakamoto blade. No one does this work but the Nakamoto’s.” Youngho stated and Taeyong nodded. “Who gave it to you?” Youngho asked.

 

 

“Yuta, he said that my old sword had micro cracks and let me used this one. After the challenge, he just gave it to me. The blade is Yukkuri.” Taeyong told his friend who nodded.

 

“Why Yukkuri?” Youngho asked.

 

“It just felt right, to attack slowly but precisely. To think before execution, to analyze before the hit. Yukkuri.” Taeyong explained.

 

“And your old sword?” Youngho inquired.

 

 

‘With Yuta.” Taeyong answered and that made Youngho grin.

 

 

“Well isn’t that interesting.” Youngho mused. “Should we ask Yuta to check our swords’ integrity? If his eyes are trained to look for the micro cracks in metals, that could be beneficial for us.” Youngho said and Taeyong nodded.

 

 

“I’ll tell Kun.” Taeyong merely replied and Youngho left him for his own room.

 

Youngho took a detour and arrived at Yuta’s quarters. Doyoung was still in the mess hall while Ten was polishing his dagger.

 

“Yuta?” Youngho called out and Yuta smiled at him. “You gave Taeyong a katana?” Youngho asked and Yuta nodded.

 

 

“He earned it.” Yuta replied prompting Youngho to snort.

 

“You’re not subtle at all.” Youngho replied. “He noticed that there is a difference with the craftmanship, it’s a Nakamoto blade but not of Master Tatsuo.” Youngho informed him and Yuta’s smile fell. “He doesn’t know yet, but be careful.” Youngho reminded him and Yuta nodded. “You will face Kun tomorrow, you’ll check the swords for faults, as you’ve pointed out the cracks on Taeyong’s sword.” Youngho said and Yuta nodded.

 

“of course, I can do that.” Yuta replied and Youngho bid his goodbye.

 

 

 

 

 

----

 

 

A/n: ah, did I mention that I liked to watch forged in fire? That’s were I got the idea of Yuta as a master blacksmith.

I really do research for stuff I write if I want them a bit more realistic, and so I did watch a documentary on the traditional forging of a Katana on top of the information I got from watching Forged in fire.

 

Sorry if this is really boring you. I am not sure if I am telling everything so slowly. And I did have too many charecters introduced T.T I am regretting this. Anyway, I will have the main pairs shine after the 6th chapter and just focus on them more, Dojae will be brought on first, then Yutae then lastly KunTen.

 

*Yukkuri - Slowly

*Taiyou - Sun

* Aosaginohi - luminscent bird of Japanese Myth