Why?

I’ll make a man out of you

A/n: This will go into jumping timelines, leading up to the match between Kun and Chenle. We get to see a few more POVs and especially Johnny and Taeil (and Sicheng).

 

---

 

“Please tell me you’re not going to defy Prince Kun.” Dejun, Prince Chenle’s retainer,  asked Chenle who was gritting his teeth after Kun had given him the omega card.

 

 

“I will and he can’t stop me.” Chenle replied and turn to pack his clothes. Dejun sighed, his charge had been headstrong like his siblings, and even if he was the precious omega of the bunch, he was still a warrior like his siblings.

 

 

“I’ll go pack your bow.” Dejun sighed and that made Chenle ran to hug him.

 

Dejun smiled, he loved the little prince like his own brother and even if people call him spineless for not controlling the younger, he knew he could do nothing when it comes to the prince’s desires especially if it is for the good. He took off to pack the bow when he met Sicheng, a medic soldier and one of the best fighters in the land, personally trained by Youngho himself.

 

 

“Where are you going?” Sicheng asked and Dejun stiffened.

 

“Uhm, nowhere.” Dejun lied but Sicheng crossed his arms and raised a brow

 

“Nowhere?” Sicheng repeated

 

“Somewhere” Dejun nervously replied.

 

“Somewhere?” Sicheng asked again.

 

“Please don’t tell anyone!” Dejun begged and Sicheng raised his brow higher.

 

 

“Of course I will Taeil hyung. Go into the carriage with Donghyuck and Jungwoo.” Sicheng said with a small smile and Dejun exhaled loudly and beamed a grateful smile at the alpha.

 

 

----

 

 

They weren’t allowed, but Youngho knew that they will be useful, one way or another. As he eyed the omegas in the room, he felt something familiar, eagerness and willingness. These are the makings of a soldier, someone who will fight to protect the people they love and treasure.

 

 

“I want you to answer me carefully, I don’t need the sappy pity excuses, I want the truth, and I want it clear.” Youngho addressed the omegas who had some of the most confident eyes he had seen.

 

 

“I am here to fight in place of my aging father.” An omega stood and looked at Youngho, brave and strong.

 

 

Youngho noticed the omega’s stature, thin and small but his hands was scarred, and he knew, he was dealing with a fighter. Youngho stood taller, all 6 feet of alpha towering above everyone else.

 

 

“I can tell that you pack more than air.” Youngho replied, too used to see the strength of people he trains. “Close combat?” Youngho asked and the omega nodded. “Name?”

 

“Yongqin.” The omega replied and Youngho nodded.

 

 

“You need a different name my dear.” Taeil replied and it made Yongqin look at the other omega. “Your name is famous across the lands, the beautiful omega son of the General Li.” Taeil explained and Youngho nodded.

 

 

“Ten.” Sicheng spoke from the side and threw an apple towards the omega. Yongqin saw it coming and withdrew a dagger from his side to catch the apple. “Perfect.” Sicheng grinned and Yongho nodded.

 

 

Youngho then turned to the prince who was blinking at how the omega reacted to the threat. “Chenle?” Youngho called out the prince who then looked at him in the eye. “I want you to prove Kun wrong. I want you to be the voice of these omegas, to be their representative.” Youngho paused to make sure Chenle understood what he was implying; Chenle nodded. “I know your skills are better than most of the soldiers that we have, I want you to challenge your brother to give you a chance. If you win, you can stay and these omegas, will be under your and my protection.” Youngho said and Chenle looked at the omegas who were hopeful.

 

 

“If.. If I win, I want them treated as any other.” Chenle replied.

 

 

“We will not reveal them as omegas.” Taeil assured them.

 

 

“Why?” Chenle asked.

 

 

“We all want change don’t we?” Sicheng asked and Chenle nodded.

 

 

“Dejun ge, give me my bow.” Chenle said and Dejun unpacked the weapon and gave it to his charge.

 

----

 

 

----

 

 

Chenle and Kun trained under the best archers, and they take this seriously not just a random play in the park. Their aims are one of the best in the land and they both knew that they are as equally matched in this. Archery is a test of concentration and quick decisions, to provide the precise blow to the target. They took their places, Kun to the right and chenle to the left, both holding their custom bows that were made for them by their father. The bows were of a particular weight and design, both not boasting of jewels but of fine bamboo and water buffalo horns that are both strong and elastic, providing the best tension for a powerful shot.

 

 

Chenle raised his bow first, already loaded by a bamboo arrow fitted with a polished tip. He eyed the target and after releasing a breath, he let the arrow fly towards the target, landing into a the 8th ring.

 

 

“8” Youngho called out and Kun sneered.

 

 

“This is not child’s play.” Kun uttered as he raised his bow and pulled the string back. He eyed the target and it flew to hit the 9th ring.

 

 

“9”  Youngho announced and Chenle gritted his teeth.

 

This was his chance, he needed to prove that he too can be useful to this land. He raised his bow once more and eyed the target.

 

“Aim a little down, feel the wind direction.” A voice said behind him and Chenle did as he was told, he aimed a little lower and released the string; the arrow landed at the dead center.

 

Kun glared at the person who just spoke but the returned to his target, shooting a clean 9 once more.

 

 

“You are both tied.” Youngho announced.

 

 

Chenle took a deep breath and aimed the arrow one last time and felt the wind before he aligned his aim and released the string, another bull’s eye. Kun took a breath and took aim once more, eyeing the target and releasing the arrow, it landed on a 9.

 

 

“Chenle wins.” Youngho announced and Chenle fell to his knees and cried.

 

“i actually won.” Chenle sobbed and Dejun was quick to haul up his prince and hugged him.

 

‘You won.” Dejun smiled and hugged him tighter.

 

 

“You could’ve won.” Youngho muttered as Kun passed by.

 

“I did not throw the game, Chenle won fair and square.” Kun replied.

 

“He did didn’t he?” Youngho chuckled.

 

“Send me the man who coached him, he clearly knows what he is doing.” Kun instructed Youngho who then saluted at him.

 

 

----   

Youngho led the omegas to a part of the camp near the medical tents, as they should be closely monitored by Taeil and Sicheng for their protection. A few alphas went to meet the omegas and Youngho eyed them.

 

 

“They are my cousins and friend.” A timid boy said and Youngho eyed the necklace he was wearing, a Huang.

 

“Your name?” Youngho asked and the omega gulped.

 

‘Renjun.” He replied and Youngho beamed a soft smile.

 

“Okay, Huangs I presume?” Youngho asked and the three nodded. “Don’t worry. I made my promise but I want you,” youngho turned to the alphas. “I want you to protect your friends’ secret as well.” Youngho said and the four alphas nodded. “You may go to your tents now, you three stay.” Youngho dismissed the rest, pointing at Yongqin, now named Ten, Dongyoung and Yuta.

 

Youngho led him to his makeshift office and told them to sit, the three did as they were told. “Kun asked me to send Dongyoung to him.” Youngho explained. “Are you related to Kim Donghyun?” Youngho asked and Dongyoung nodded.

 

 

“I am his younger brother.” Dongyoung replied honestly.

 

“Of course, you are your father’s son. Donghyun hyung was our teacher, we learned from the best.” Youngho praised the wounded soldier. “When I send you to Kun, I want you to be Doyoung, the twin brother of Dongyoung, not the omega but the alpha brother and among the best in your family.” Youngho instructed and Dongyoung, now named Doyoung, looked at him with fierce eyes and nodded.

 

“I will sir.” Doyoung answered.

 

 

“Why are you helping us?” Ten asked and it made Youngho raise his brow. “You could just let us die.” Ten added.

 

 

“It is against my principle to kill the innocent.” Youngho replied.

 

 

“We are of course guilty of fraud.” Yuta added.

 

“That is true.” Youngho nodded.

 


”So Why?” Ten asked again and Youngho’s face turned serious.

 

 

“Maybe I want you to prove everyone wrong.” Youngho said, voice calm but powerful. “Maybe I want to make people realize the power you all hold, regardless of gender or status, a soldier is a soldier, a person is a person.” Youngho then stood and towered over them. “Maybe I want a revolution to start, and I know you can convince not just Prince Kun, not just this country, but the world, you can show to the whole world that you have a place in the frontlines as well.” Youngho looked at them straight in the eyes. “I have been raised and trained to see the strengths and weaknesses of people, to train them to overcome the faults and groom them to better soldiers. I can see fire in you, a desire for equality, something that I myself would want for this country at the very least.” Youngho said and the three nodded and understood.

 

 

“I am giving you this chance because you are my only chance.” Youngho finished and the three stood and saluted.

 

 

“We will not let you down.” The three saluted at the same time and it made Youngho smile wide and hoped while he saluted back.

 

 

----

 

 

Kun eyed the person next to Youngho and gauged him. “Your name?” Kun asked and Doyoung let out a confident voice.

 

“Kim Doyoung.” The soldier replied and Kun raised a brow at the familiarity of the name.

 

 

“He’s the youngest son of the Kim’s, his brother is Donghyun hyung.” Youngho explained and Kun nodded.

 

 

“Of course I expected nothing less from the Kim’s.” Kun grinned. “I want to see what you’re made of, tomorrow we’ll start with the training, we sill sort out the archers first.” He instructed and it made Doyoung laugh.

 

“A show of skill, of course your majesty, I will not put my father’s and brother’s reputation to shame, you’ll have your demonstration alright.” Doyoung said and the challenge riled up Kun in a good way.

 

 

“I look forward to it then Doyoung-ssi.” Kun grinned and extended a hand to which the omega shook.

 

 

 

___

 

“I’ll get myself killed!” Jaemin cried out and his roommate eyed him carefully.

 

“You’re not gonna get killed, your mate is here.” Renjun replied.

 

“My mate? Who? Jeno?” Jaemin asked and Renjun nodded. “That goof? Hell no he is not my mate.” Jaemin pouted.

 

 

“He’s sure protective of you.” Renjun remarked.

 

 

‘He is, of course he is.” Jaemin sighed. “He’s my only friend you know, he’s the only one who didn’t regard me any lower because I am an omega.” Jaemin pulled his knees towards his chest.

 

 

“Were you discriminated?” Renjun asked and Jaemin nodded.

 

“Didn’t learn anything to defend myself, only learned to cook and take care of people.” Jaemin confessed. “Jeno only brought me here so I can escape my family.” jaemin said and Renjun sat next to him.

 

“Hey, I am sure you can learn a thing or two here.” Renjun said and gave Jamein a hug. “Youngho hyung said that he believed in us and Prince Chenle stood up for us, we should do our part.” Renjun said and it made Jaemin smile.

 

 

“What about starting dinner huh?” Jaemin asked and Renjun beamed and winked at him.

 

 

“A great idea,” Renjun answered and the two walked out of their tents to find their way to the kitchens to ask the staffs there if they could help.

 

What they didn’t expect are two alphas glaring at each other and hands on the hilt of their swords.

 

“Yangyang.” Renjun called the alpha

 

“Jeno.” Jaemin did as well.

 

The two alphas broke the glare and looked at the omegas with grins.

 

 

“Hey Junnie, I was just looking for you.’ Yangyang slung an arm around the smaller omega.

 

“Get off me you parasite.” Renjun huffed and took the arm around him and twisted it so Yangyang was in pain and had to surrender.

 

 

“You’re harsh Renjun. Ouch!” Yangyang whined as Renjun glared at him but then released him and laughed before hugging the friend. “I can’t belive you’re my best friend, you always hurt me.” Yangyang pouted, the alpha pouted.

 

 

“Are you two together?” Jaemin asked and Renjun faked gagged.

 

 

“Him, No way!” Renjun pushed Yangyang away.

 

‘Hey!” Yangyang retorted. “We almost got engaged.” Yangyang exclaimed.

 

“We were four yangyang, and no way, I won’t mate with you.” Renjun then ran towards the kitchens and left the three.

 

“You were engaged?” Jaemin asked and it made Yangyang laugh.

 

 

“Not really, but we kind of hinted that our parents want us to be mated other than other opportunistic people.” Yangyang shrugged.

 

 

“Oh, you two look cute together.” Jaemin said.

 

“Us Cute?! Say that to Jun and he’ll throttle you.” Yangyang laughed out loud then extended a hand. “I’m Yangyang, from the Liu Family.” He introduced himself and both gasped.

 

“You’re from the rich merchant family!” Jaemin exclaimed. ‘Jaemin, uhm I am not really fond of my family.” jaemin shook his hand.

 

“Jeno.” The alpha shook his hand as well.

 

“Please don’t remind me of my my father’s wealth, it gets annoying you know, to be branded as the rich son.” Yangyang kicked the stone near his feet.

 

“Oh, sorry.” Jaemin apologized.

 

 

“So you’re mates?” Yangyang asked and Jaemin laughed loudly.

 

 

“Us? Nah, he’s like a brother to me.” Jaemin smiled wide then walked towards the kitchens.

 

“Don’t even think about it.” Jeno gritted and Yangyang raised a brow.

 

“I would like to say the same to you.’ Yangyang snorted and then walked towards his friends Guanheng and Xuxi.

 

 

------

 

 

A/n: let’s just say, Johnny is like our mushu hahaha