Find your center

I’ll make a man out of you

A/n: I did say I will redeem myself with the pain I put dojae through in my past fic so, their interaction will be first.

 

Before I wrote this, I actually watched some videos about the origins of Mulan, including which was that Mulan was a capable fighter when she enlisted. So I took that concept , and the omegas here are just that, capable fighters (well except Jaemin but he’s a strong one!).

 

Also, my favorite character in the Marvel’s avengers is actually Hawkeye, so you know, Archery is something I am interested in (but still fail in reality) so when NCT members fair very well and hit those 9’s and 10’s, look who is happy. Yepp me.

 

Also, I drew out inspiration from the scene of The Great Wall where the lead showed off his archery skills to the General.

 

---

It was still a bit dark when Doyoung stepped into the archery field, his bow on his shoulder and arrows on his quiver strapped on his back. He took in the cold morning air and stretched his limbs out, trying his best to be the most at ease as he showed the prince what his blood line can do, that his father had taught him well and that he was at least as good as his brother.

 

 

“You’re early.” Doyoung turned around to look at the owner of the voice, a handsome alpha, smiling at him and showing off his dimples.

 

“I want to practice before his majesty arrives.” Doyoung replied.

 

 

“Ah, you’re Kim.” The alpha asked and Doyoung snorted.

 

 

“I prefer to be called Doyoung.” Doyougn responded.

 

 

“Good to know, I am Yoonoh.” The alpha extended a hand and Doyoung shook it out of courtesy. “It’s still dark, will you able to see the target?” Yoonoh asked and Doyoung took it as a challenge.

 

He took his bow from his shoulder and loaded it with an arrow. He smirked at Yoonoh before he raised it and eyed the target, then releasing it with confidence. Yoonoh’s eyes widened with what Doyoung did, but was thoroughly impressed when the arrow landed on the target dead center.

 

 

“You did not just do that.’ Yoonoh was happily surprised and thoroughly impressed by the show of skills.

 

“You just witnessed it.” Doyoung smirked and it made Yoonoh nod.

 

 

“I did.” He laughed out loud and clapped both hands. “You are really amazing Doyoung-ssi.”Yoonoh sighed then smiled at him. “Can I call you hyung?” Yoonoh asked and Doyoung was taken aback at the request.

 

“huh?” Doyoung was dumbfounded.

 

 

“I asked if I can call you hyung.” Yoonoh’s smile was unwavering.

 

 

“oh, I guess. I was born on 96th year of the dynasty.” Doyoung replied.

 

 

“That’s great, I was born on the 97th year.” Yoonoh grinned and Doyoung relaxed. “Are you a close combat fighter too or do you prefer the long range?” He asked and Doyoung sighed.

 

 

“I prefer the long range. I trained hard for precision and my eyes are more used to it than close combat. I don’t like exerting too much work to be honest.” Doyoung shrugged.

 

 

“That’s perfect.” Yoonoh said and started to jog in place. “We could be partners, be my spotter!” Yoonoh said and Doyoung laughed at him.

 

 

“That’s not for me to decide.” Doyoung replied and Yoonoh sighed but then smiled.

 


’I’ll just have to win rankings then.” Yoonoh winked and then soon jogged off away from Doyoung who let out a huge exhale.

 

 

Yoonoh was a gorgeous alpha and his omega was preening, he was chosen by an alpha, and for his skills rather than appearance, something he would prefer any day. Doyoung grinned as he adjusted his bow and practiced more shots just as the sun rose above them.

 

 

----

 

 

“I can’t do this.” Jaemin panicked but Jeno held his hand and assured him that placements wouldn’t be that bad and archery isn’t as difficult as sparring.

 

 

They decided to come to the field to practice early, but they didn’t expect to see Doyoung already shooting arrows with accuracy.

 

 

“wow, you’re really amazing hyung.” Jaemin remarked and Doyoung turned to look at them.

 

 

“Your mate?” Doyoung asked and Jaemin sighed but shook his head.

 

 

“He’s more of a brother.” Jaemin replied.

 

 

“So?” Doyoung asked and Jeno glared at the older.

 

 

“I wanted to practice a bit, I wasn’t trained in fighting unfortunately.” Jaemin confessed and Doyoung nodded.

 

 

“Of course, your excuse for parents did not train you.” Doyoung cant hind the irritation in his voice.

 

 

‘I don’t have the privilege, I’m afraid.” Jaemin replied.

 

“no matter, Archery is the easiest to learn unless you are Ten or Yuta.” Doyoung grinned and it made Jaemin smile.

 

 

“Thank you hyung.” Jaemin hugged him and then took a bow from the collection to practice.

 

“You’re gonna watch or join him?” Doyoung asked Jeno who took out his own bow. “Good.” Doyoung replied and they started to do practice runs.

 

 

“I can’t even pull this thing.” Jaemin whined and Doyoung hit his head with the blunt end of the arrow.

 

“The bow is not fit for you.” Doyoung said then took the bow, tested it then walked to the storage to pick out a better bow suited for Jaemin. “The tension was too tight, you’re not yet used to the force.” Doyoung explained and handed him a different bow. “Tug it a few times.” Doyoung instructed and Jaemin did just that.

 

 

“I think I can handle this.” Jaemin said and Doyoung allowed him to try shooting an arrow.

 

The arrow flew a little better but the trajectory wasn’t enough to land anywhere near the target. Doyoung took the bow and adjusted it a bit and asked Jaemin to try again. Before Jaemin could really shoot the arrow, Doyoung corrected his posture, made him stand feet apart and his arms level with his shoulder and asked him to aim a little lower than the middle of the target.

 

 

“Breathe, now pull the string taught and release when you’re ready.” Doyoung said and Jaemin did as he was told.

 

The arrow flew a great distance and it landed on the 5th ring. It doesn’t matter that it was a low number, it was still on the target. Jaemin beamed a smile and hugged Doyoung first then Jeno who was caught off guard by the sudden hug but then smiled and then hugged Jaemin back.

 

 

‘Thank you hyung!” Jaemin was delighted and it made Doyoung laugh loudly.

 

 

“You’re not even hitting the target very well.” Doyoung pointed a finger at him but Jaemin was still smiling.

 

 

‘That’s still something.” Jaemin said and with the confidence, he taunted Jeno who just rolled his eyes and aimed at the target with dead set eyes.

 

 

The arrow landed at the dead center making Jaemin cheer loudly and Doyoung nodded, a challenge has been made.

 

 

“Don’t just stand there, land at least an 8.” Doyoung told Jaemin who laughed and nodded, he’ll definitely land at least something decent for their evaluation.

 

 

----

 

Kun was not surprised to see Doyoung already up and shooting targets already. He had witnessed Doyoung shoot some more before he made his presence known, the soldiers saluted to the prince and stepped to the side.

 

 

Kun let them at ease and was joined by Youngho and Taeyong, the three of them are masters of Archery, Youngho and Kun more than Taeyong who prefers close combat. Chenle was also present, with Dejun next to him.

 

 

“To all who will try for the archery ranking, line up.” Kun announced and the interested soldier made a decent line on the right while those who were neither skilled shooters nor interested in long range attacks stepped aside for the archers’ evaluation. Kun was pleased, some brave people had stepped up, and these are their support system. “High ranking archers will be paired up with attackers after evaluations, but I believe I requested a demonstration from Doyoung.” Kun turned to the soldier who nodded.

 

 

“Of course your majesty, but I would like to ask for some help, Yuta hyung and Ten if you could.” Doyoung asked and the two cracked their necks and knuckles before walking towards the field with swords and daggers at hand.

 

 

“Lock and loaded.” Doyoung grinned as he bowed to the prince before taking three arrows from his quiver and loaded them at the same time.

 

Yuta grinned as he unsheathed his sword and made a few swings for the crowd just as Ten withdrew his daggers and started charging towards Doyoung. With precise timing and calculation, Yuta’s sword clashed with Ten’s dagger before the two dashed towards Doyoung together and threw all three weapons towards the archer. Doyoung grinned and released his arrows, flying towards the field and hitting the tips of the sword and daggers and making them loose momentum to fall down to the ground. Everyone was surprised and when the resounding clang of metal was heard, everyone cheered and applauded.

 

 

“Impressive.” Kun grinned, surely happy to have a talented archer within his ranks. “now, line up and show me your best, nothing below an eight.” Kun barked and each soldier was given three arrows, three chances to determine their fate as archers for the unit.

 

Doyoung approached Jaemin and patted his back before stepping aside to allow them to show off their skills. Jeno was undoubtedly a skilled archer, his shots were all within the 9 and 10 range while a prodigy from the Huang’s, Guanheng, showed off his perfect 10’s. Kun noted them as far the best in their age range. Jaemin was nervous but he managed to secure his slot as his were in the 8 and 9 range, along with the Minhyung, who despite can’t keep one eye closed and merely squinted, had performed a stellar performance. A few more individuals shone through, one of which was Taeil’s cousin Junhui, an archer of their sister clan of Wen, and his friends Hansol and Seokmin, archers with precise shots of the 8 to 10 ranges.

 

While the archers were sorted and ranked, Kun turned to Taeyong who was already itching to spar and so with a nod, Taeyong had withdrew his sword and charged at the group who was waiting at the side. Youngho laughed and he too charged at the unsuspecting soldiers who were caught of guard. Kun shook his head, and he too charged and challenged the soldiers into a close combat fight.

 

 

Yuta was surprised but his reflexes were fast as he withdrew his sword fast enough to counter Taeyong’s blow. The sound of metal instantly shattered the bubbles of everyone, this is getting real.

 

 

“You’re fast.” Taeyong grinned and launch attacks after attacks in a graceful dance between them.

 

 

“So I have been told” Yuta replied and the others cleared the area as Yuta fought back, throwing in a kick or two which Taeyong blocked just as easily.

 

They were evenly matched and to the spectators, it was watching a choreographed dance of blade and limbs. Too beautiful and mesmerizing to take their eyes off.

 

 

Taeyong maybe better with strength and agility but Yuta, he knew the blades more and he could spot flaws in the swords, and he used that to his advantage, a blacksmith can also be a fighter, and Taeyong, he did not know what he’s up against as Yuta hit his sword at a weak spot and almost broke it.

 

 

Youngho targetted the Huangs and Xuxi instinctively put Renjun behind him, with Yangyang aiding him as they fought against Youngho, But just as they pushed back the omega, Sicheng attacked from behind, but Renjun was not sent to war without the proper training of a Huang, he ran to get a long word from the stack and with the grace of the Yellow tiger, the mark of the Huang’s, he faced Sicheng who was as graceful as the mark of the Dong’s, the green serpent. While Youngho had brute and sheer power, Sicheng had the calm but a force for an attack. The two had been contradicting before, but Taeil had showed them how to work like partners, to support each other and be a coordinated unit.

 

 

But Yangyang and Renjun were trained as well, to be a yin and yang, a balance of power while Xuxi was a third force, a power whose root was to protect his loved ones. While Youngho and Sicheng attacked, the three held out, not giving up and proving that they are not low class fighters.

 

Yoonoh wanted action and so he did, he ran to aid Youngho and Sicheng, separating Xuxxi from the trio as they face each other in a one on one. The two alphas were evenly matched, the pride of Huang’s and Jeong’s, the best of the best, and they did not disappoint.

 

Both alphas thrive in the adrenaline rush as they strike with a purpose, not enough to kill the partner but strong enough to let the other know that they mean business. Xuxi was aggressive but planned while Yoonoh was on a counter attack while he thought of a switchback. The smiles on the alphas were genuine, both were satisfied with the match up.

 

Kun targeted one person and that was Ten. The soldier used his dagger like it was an extension of his body, that intrigued Kun because daggers weren’t normally preferred for battle as it has short range of attacks. As Kun charged, Ten had the ability to use his lithe body to bend and dodge the attacks from the prince. Kun acknowledged Ten’s skills but the prince was not known as the captain for nothing, because what he was given was not Youngho’s brute force, or Taeyong’s endless grace, but it was a brain to strategise. He planned it and with careful timing and execution, he delivered a blow and knocked down Ten, pinned him on the ground and put the blade on the soldier’s neck. Kun’s face was near Ten’s face, both feeling each other’s breaths and he grinned before he straightened his body and offered a hand to the fallen soldier.

 

 

“Impressive. You are such a workout.” Kun laughed and looked at the others who were all now shaking hands as the sparring ended. ‘your name?” Kun asked and Ten straightened himself and extended a hand to for the prince to shake.

 

“Ten.” He replied and Kun smiled handsomely.

 

 

“Very well, you are a charm to work with, I am utterly impressed.” Kun said and it made Ten smile wide himself. “The stunt you three pulled earlier was impressive too.” Kun added. “You three are friends?” Kun inquired and Ten nodded.

 

 

“Yes we are.” Ten replied .

 

“I think I found my elite team.” Kun was happy and Ten felt really good to get the approval of the prince, he could do this, he will do this.

 

----

 

A/n: Hey introduction over, let’s get this over and done with.

 

I decided to write a couple of chapters in one go and post them one by one so you won’t be waiting for too long for the updates. I am able to do this because the quarantine had been extended in my country till the end of April. But don't expect to much, i have to do some work after the holy week.

 

I hope you’ll all stay safe and healthy!