Prelude

I’ll make a man out of you

 

Yongqin is a beautiful omega who lived up to his name, a face that captured hearts, eyes that sparkle like stars and a smile that could heal souls. Yongqin also championed in the arts of dancing and painting, two qualities that warranted him as one of the most sought after brides in their village, yet none had been good enough to be his mate, for what Yongqin yearned was not the comfort of a house or the protection of his mate, but to be treated as an equal.

 

Trained in the battlefield, despite being an omega, Yongqin also excelled in sword fight but not so much in archery. But that was for his friend Dongyoung to master, and not him.

 

 

Dongyoung is another omega who has intimidated alphas for his intense glare and penchant for nagging. Dongyoung would just roll his eyes and walk away, ignoring alphas who berate him for being egoistic, but he did challenge a few of them in archery and leave them in the dust.

 

Where Yongqin excelled in dancing, Dongyoung excelled in singing, and his voice has been praised by people who had a chance to listen to it. Yet still he was mate-less but remained unbothered.

 

 

The eldest in the friend group though was a certain omega named Yuta who had countless suitors far and wide but he would scoff at them and tell them off because he does not want to be dressed in lace and expected to give birth to heirs. As much as he liked children, he will not be a baby maker. His strength lies in close combat and forging, with Japanese roots, he had been known to forge one of the best blades the land had produced but his father had not disclosed this for fear of letting his son be a target of people with vested interest. Yuta did not mind, as long as his father trusted him to craft blades and allowed him to do what he wanted.

 

 

The three would gather by the Li’s back garden, with Dongyoung shooting arrows at unimaginable speed and hitting the target dead center while Yuta and Yongqin spar at the side. Mrs. Li would bring out snacks and some iced tea when the sun would be too hot and the omegas were sprawled on the grass, very un-omega like but Mrs. Li would just chuckle at how the three would act carelessly; good thing the three families did want to their omega sons to the matchmaker.

 

 

“You three really could fight your fathers and beat them.” She remarked and Mr. Li cleared his throat but took no offence.

 

 

 

 

“Yongqin, your stamina is getting better.” Mr. Li remarked and that made Yongqinn smile wide.

 

His father had fought in battles and had emerged victorious but the toll of those fights, injury and old age had been visible as the old man limped as he walked with the aide of a stick. But nonetheless, Yongqin was ever proud of his father.

 

 

“Am I baba?” Yongqin asked and the old man nodded.

 

 

“I am very impressed.” Mr Li laughed out loud. “You too Yuta, is that a new blade?” Mr. Li inquired and Yuta nodded, offering the old warrior his newly forged blade. “Tatsuo-san really raised an artist.” Mr. Li commented making the Japanese smile wide at the compliment.

 

 

“Thank you uncle.” Yuta grinned.

 

 

“Ah Dongyoung, your accuracy and precision is just amazing, How was Donghyun?” Mr. Li said and Dongyoung gave a bittersweet smile.

 

 

“hyung is getting better, but still not to the peak of his abilities.” Dongyoung sighed and Mr. Li understood, recovery wasn’t easy especially psychologically.

 

“He will get there.” Mr. Li assured him.

 

-----    

 

 

The sound of drums were heard, and the palace was enveloped in chaos as the news from the 5th battalion had been received and the plans of invasion were delivered loud and clear.

 

 

“There were no survivors lest the messenger, but he too succumb to exhaustion.” War Minister Lee told Emperor Han.

 

 

“I am afraid that this country must prepare for war.” Emperor Han sighed and turned to his minister. “Gather the alphas, we must fight to defend our land, our betas and omegas and our children.” Emperor Han announced and Minister Lee bowed and nodded.

 

 

“I volunteer to go father.” Song Qian, the brave alpha princess, a warrior despite her gender, volunteered.

 

 

“I expected no less my daughter.” Emperor Han uttered with a placid smile.

 

 

“I volunteer as well.” the younger prince stood next to his sister and both raised a brow at him. “I am capable.” The prince insisted.

 

“I knew when I named you that you will always be connected to the will of the metal sword.” Emperor Han smiled at his son. “Make me proud Prince Kun.” Emperor Han said and the prince bowed at his father.

 

 

There was a loud commotion and when the door to the office opened to reveal a pouting younger omega prince Chenle with his equally frustrated retainer, all eyes were trained on the two omegas.

 

 

“I am going with you!” Chenle puffed his cheek and Kun sighed heavily.

 

“Of course not.” Kun answered, tone clipped and indifferent.

 

“I am capable too!” Chenle argued.

 

 

“You are an omega Chenle. You have no place in the battle field!” Kun shouted and at the mention of his gender, Chenle held back the tears and stormed away, his retainer scurrying after him.

 

 

“Kun, that was harsh.” Taeyong said from his position and Kun glared at him.

 

“He doesn’t belong to the battle field.” Kun insisted and Taeyong sighed, his friend is really adamant about omegas being lesser than alphas.

 

 

“The draft will happen in three days time, we must be prepared for this, a training plan should be done, am I clear Youngho?” Kun turned to the tallest alpha in the room who nodded.

 

“Of course, your majesty” Youngho saluted.

 

“Good. Everyone is dismissed.” Kun announced and everyone dismissed except for Kun and Song Qian.

 

‘Don’t be harsh on Chenle, the kid has potential.” SongQian told his brother.

 

 

“Still, the front line is no place for an omega, much more the only possible heir left for this country.” Kun stated and Songqian understood, of course, the youngest would be the only heir left when the two alphas march off to the battle field.

 

“This is our calling after all. Alphas must protect the people who can’t do so.” Songqian said and bid her brother a good night.

 

 

----

 

 

“Attention!” The royal messenger called out and everyone in the village gathered to the plaza where the announcement should commence. “The 5th battalion had failed securing the borders from invasion and the military reserves of out nation had been depleted.” The announcement was grim and everyone gasped. “henceforth, the emperor has decreed that each household shall be required to have an alpha enlisted to serve our country and to protect this land.” The proclamation ended and each family was called in to give receive their enlistment orders.

 

“No.” Yuta shook his head, the Nakamoto household had been full of beta, with his ageing father as the only alpha and him as the only omega.

“.” dongyoung hissed as he watched his father stood to the front to receive the order for his brother won’t be able to enlist due to him still recovering.

 

“No father, you have fought too many battles.” Yongqin looked at his father with teary eyes.

 

 

“It is not up to you to decide on what I shall do. If my country need me, I shall serve until I take my last breath.” Mr. Li glared at his son and soon took the order.

 

Three omegas watched as their ageing fathers proudly stood to represent their families and for once, they wanted to change their statuses and take the places of their fathers.

 

 

“I will not allow my father to risk his life more than he had done.” Yongqin gritted his teeth and balled his fist.

 

“What are you thinking?” Dongyoung asked and Yongqin looked at his friends and grinned.

 

 

“We are the best in fighting here, no one will need to know that we are omegas don’t they?” Yongqin asked and the two grinned.

 

 

“We got to get suppressants though, but it will be easy.” Yuta smirked and the three had devised a plan, for omegas has a place in the battle field as much as any alpha.

 

 

----

 

 

A/n: this is the third song from Mulan that I drew inspiration from. This is not a spin off from the other omegaverse I wrote (An omega worth fighting for) but I want to redeem myself since I did not give Kun a very stellar character in that series, and a lot of you were kind of hating me for making Doyoung almost lose his mate. Don’t expect regular updates though.