Ch 2

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

Upon opening the gates to let the students go through an abridged version of their days to come, the dread and it’s slimy, silk claws came and grabbed a hold of Wheein once again. Wherever she walked, the claws dug deeper and deeper. Wherever she looked, it’s tendrils pulsed into her veins. Everywhere was just a millisecond away from total despair. 

In hindsight, this was an over exaggeration, but in the context of time and place, it was fitting. After all, whatever classroom she stepped into next meant confronting the ghosts of summer. And Wheein could barely confront her own ghosts, so how could she confront the ghosts of others? So, as each class period passed, the dred grew and grew until it became the stuff of nightmares. She just wanted this day to be done and to commit to whatever choice she will have to choose. 

The morning went by without a hitch. Her old friends made their choices and so separated themselves quite easily. Despite the simplicity of her choice being made for her there was only one problem. The fact that she still had to see them almost all day. The small break she had from the awkwardness of knowing that group projects and being paired up is going to be an even more painful headache, was having the first lunch. 

When the bell tolled, Wheein ran like the wind. Ran to be the first one at her favourite table. Ain’t no petty squabble going to ruin this one joy in school for her. And luckily, this joy was saved from being tainted. Not only was the weather perfect for eating outside, but everyone was so busy catching up with each other meant that there were very few people around to pay attention to her. So, Wheein took this time to enjoy this moment to herself by enjoying the delicious meal her mom had prepared for her. 

But she barely got in two bites into this meal full of love before loud voices made their way towards her. Stopping mid bite, Wheein froze. Hoping that the loud voices would only engage if they sense movement. 

Which worked.

The loud voices moved past without giving her any acknowledgment. Their boisterous volume carrying their conversation to Wheein’s ever observant ears. 

“And then Hyejin swooped in and kicked the dude’s !”

A chorus of rough and overly proud laughter.

“Hey, that guy deserved it.”

A raspy voice rose above the menagerie of voices.

Before the voice could continue, the herd moved on. And as they moved on, Wheein released the breath she did not realise she was holding. She just wanted to get this school day done, it has already been draining as hell, and that is without schoolwork! 

Enjoying the silence in her meal, Wheein became immersed with the environment around her. She welcomed the soft breeze that caressed her face, she basked in the warm embrace of the sun, and she sighed in a rare moment of balance of mind and body. Maybe things won’t be so bad. She will do fine in her classes, that’s a given, but what is not fine is her still lacking social skills.

Her primary friend group broke apart, and any person can see that this is the perfect opportunity to branch out a little, meet new people and make new friends. Sure, this may be high school, but they are in that weird phase of being more than kids but being less than adults, there is plenty of room for growth and exploration. But, it is high school. Everyone is lumped into whatever primary group they hang out with and if you do not have a primary that will claim you as their own? Then you might as well have been a lame animal left to die on the side of the road. High school may not matter in the long scheme of things but it did set the stage for the long haul. With things like labels, the impression you make in high school will follow you. At least, it will follow you anytime you involve yourself with anyone from said high school. It is fascinating but also disheartening. Wanting to be noticed and not be noticed is a hard thing to balance. Especially when you do not know exactly who you want to be noticed by. By fellow peers? If so, then for what? How about teachers in order to gain that sacred recommendation letters? She was a good student and at times a favourite so getting a letter would not be that hard. How about a crush? Well, if there was a crush to even consider. Whatever crush she had on someone had long since faded. Thinking of all of this really did make it feel like high school was the prequel to her entire life. 

During this mental expedition, Wheein failed to notice the presence that sat down next to her. The presence remained still, silently enjoying the company and enjoying the extended amount of time their presence is not being recognized. But, even this presence has their limits.

A clearing of the throat right next to her jumped Wheein out of her mental daze. She whipped her head around but this time her neck said not today. A loud crack caused both parties to flinch.

“Whoa, hey, I know I’m demanding but please don’t break your neck for me.” A raspy voice filled with genuine concern washed her Wheein’s ears.

“Don’t worry,” Wheein rubbed her neck, “this is just a sign of age.” 

As Wheein continued to rub to forget the rice krispies noise that came from her neck, a brief silence filled the air. And as it seemed to grow to uncomfortable levels, a pure, unfiltered laughter filled the air around them. 

“So, you’re cute AND funny.”

Wheein just looked at the other, unable to fully comprehend what was just said to her. Did Ahn Hyejin give her a compliment? Quick, what does mother say to do when receiving a compliment?

“Thank you, I was born like this.”

Ok, no, that just hurt to say out loud. Which Wheein showed the discomfort by another pained expression and noise that immediately emanated from her. The need to shrivel up into a slug has never been higher, surely this was a terrible first impression.

More laughter. 

But not the mocking type of laughter. Nay, it was the kind of laughter that embraced you. It embraced what you offered and loved every bit of it. A laughter that accepts you.

“Wow, Wheein, you are full of surprises. I think I just fell for you.” 

………….what.

All of her years of training under the Master of Grease has not prepared her for this type of conversation. Confession? No, just plain bluntness.

Wheein opened and before a noise could even escape, a cute voice cut through.

“Hyejin-ah, why are you bothering Wheein? Look, you gave her a heart attack.”

Ji Yeon, the saving grace, exposing Wheein to what she truly feels. 

“I came to ask a simple question!”

“Well ask it before you give heart attacks.”

Hyejin pouted like a dejected kitten.

“Fine. Hey, Wheein?”

Wheein finally took note of their position. Hyejin, beside her, back to the table, arm draped in front on the table. When did that arm get there without her noticing?

When Wheein’s eyes moved to the arm that invaded her space, Hyejin pulled back immediately. “Ah, sorry about that. You didn’t notice me at first so I tried to get your attention before I finally had to cough.”

An intimidating person, a sheepish apology.

“It’s fine. I tend to get lost in my own thoughts and begin to lose focus on what's in front of me. Anyway, what’s your question?” She almost slipped up but hopefully she dodged it just in time. She almost exposed what she has been feeling. And all to a basic stranger. 

Hyejin turned to face her. A leg on either side of the bench, arms in the middle to support her as she leaned in. In a way she looked like a small child on a seesaw. But that was the only observation Wheein was able to make before she came face to face with an excited Hyejin. Scarily close. Ji Yeon only sighed and shook her head at the childish antics

“May I please see the lion picture you drew?”