Ch 28

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

The day finally came. The day of their first anniversary. But they kept it simple.This day is very important to them so there was no need to be overly extravagant. It was just a day of remembrance. Remembering the day that they will always hold near and dear in their heart. The day that they at least understood the depth of their feelings for each other. 

The day started with Hyejin going to Wheein’s house. Unlike last year, going to Wheein’s house was like going to a second home. It felt right. It felt natural. Even though Wheein’s parents kind of make her nervous, especially after having to be reminded of behaving herself back during the beach vacation. Now that was something Hyejin will always have in the back of her mind. 

But now wasn’t the time to dwell on that. Now was the time to show and remind Wheein why she fell for her. To show Wheein that even if they have gotten comfortable with each other, that doesn’t make their relationship boring. To remind Wheein that the only person in Hyejin’s heart is her. To remind Wheein that her touch is only for her. To show and remind Wheein that no matter what, that she will always love her.

Hyejin picked out her best clothes and made sure to clean her car. She even waxed it with the help of  her uncle. Driving to Wheein’s place, her mind reflected on her uncle’s words. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So, you’re really serious about this girl, huh?” He said as he prepped the water buckets and doubled checked that they had everything they needed.

“Yup!” Came Hyejin’s proud response as she brought the watering hose.

“Hah. I never thought I would see you so serious about anything else besides your baby and the flowers.” Her uncled smiled while patting her car. Her baby.

“Oi, why is everyone so surprised anyway? I’m not that much of a lazy bum!” Hyejin only slightly pouted as she filled the buckets with water. 

“I think you took everyone by surprise by how quickly it happened.” He answered honestly.

“Hah? It took a couple of months!” Hyejin exclaimed and put the watering hose to the side once the buckets were full and after soaking her car.

“I meant by how much you’ve changed, cub.” He said with a big grin as he patted her head.

“Hmpf. I didn’t change that much.” Hyejin countered.

“Hmmm, how can I explain this,” He pondered why he prepared a sponge, “You’re right. You didn’t change that much. But you did change. It was subtle. You became brighter. It was as if you have hope again.”

She prepared the wheel brush and began to tackle the tires. 

“Brighter? Have hope again? The hell you mean?”

He grabbed the other wheel brush and tackled the other tire that was on the same side.

“What I mean is that the look in your eyes changed. As if your soul was stirred and reawakened.” 

He wasn’t wrong. The minute that Wheein became a more staple part of Hyejin’s life, he saw the transformation. Hyejin was always a kind, nice, and caring child. But he knows about the fights that she has gotten into in the past, especially those she has gotten into before Wheein. He saw the stages Hyejin went through all throughout her life. 

From a small child, he saw the pain she endured as being labeled a troublesome child just because she looked different. Just because she looked different and came from a more rural background. He knows little kids can be the cruelest out of all humans. Afterall, they have an unfiltered observation that strikes true at the heart of all issues. He saw how that cruelty hardened her outside. But she still maintained her heart and soul

From a tween, he saw the awkward growth phase as the transition from child to a teenager. The hardest times. Being in that space of limbo where you are neither this nor that but both at the same time. Being an uncle puts him in that position of being able to look inside while outside but have insider knowledge. While having no children of his own, he always saw Hyejin as the daughter he never had. So, it was tough for him. Seeing how she started to heads with her parents and sisters more and more. And that’s when she began to open up to him more. How she told him things before she told her parents.

He’ll never forget the day she came to him crying. A whole mess of snot and tears back when she was just an eighth grader. That was when she figured what kind of person she likes. And at this time it was a girl. But, instead of being happy, she was distraught. Her parents are wonderful people but even they have their faults. Their comments against homouality and the like echoed throughout her mind when she realised that she liked a girl. She thought she would get disowned. She’s read and heard stories about how some parents treat their children upon discovery of their ualities. It was such stories that caused Hyejin to have such an intense fear. She was scared that all the love that her family spewed was just all talk. That the moment Hyejin tells them that she likes a girl then it would be all over. That she’ll be as lonely as ever. But she needed to tell someone. She had to tell the only person she trusts. Her uncle.

After she confessed with great difficulty, he immediately hugged her. He told her all the words of love and support she needed to hear. He told her that if her own family won’t accept her then he will. They both became a sobbing mess. 

Afterwards, he was there while she told her parents. It was tense at first. They never thought Hyejin would be coming to them with this type of confession. But after much talking they all became a mess of tears as Hyejin’s parents embraced her and accepted her.

After that day, he saw the spark of  hope with her eyes. The hope that comes with finally realising a bit of your potential. But, after a couple of weeks, that hope was squandered. Hyejin shot her shot and was burned in the process. 

He thought he would never see such a spark in her eyes again. Sure, he saw the spark of rebellion and the spark of defiance, but all of that was brought upon her own basic character. That was just who Hyejin was. Defiant, rebellious, but she still maintained that childlike innocence. It was just hidden away. 

From a teen, he saw how she was growing to be the grown woman she will one day be. She was already breaking hearts and taking names. Hell, he even taught her some ways to defend herself after she got into a couple fights and came back more bruised and bloody than the other guy. 

He thought that was just how Hyejin was going to be. Rebellious, defiant, headstrong, and her weaknesses being hidden behind a veil of confidence. But still, that hopeful look for a future was nowhere to be found within her eyes. 

That look only returned when Wheein came into the picture. 

“Ugh, don’t tell me ya gonna get all philosophical on me, old man.” Hyejin grumbled. 

“Hahaha! It will do you good to think like a philosopher every now and then, kiddo.” He shot her a smile before returning his focus back to the tire. 

“Uuuuuugh, ya supposed to give me a pep talk! Not a lecture!” Hyejin complained.

“A pep talk is just a different form of a lecture.”

“I….ugh, fine. Lay it on me.” Hyejin said as she finished with one tire and went to the next one.

“I’m just saying, Wheein has really brought out more of your true colors. I never thought I would see the day that you would lecture your sisters about proper flower maintenance.” His voice was filled with laughter. 

“Well someone had to end their reign of tyranny!”

“Aaah, but how come you didn’t stop them before?” He asked while he went on the other side to clean the last tire.

“I, uh, well you see,” Hyejin sputtered. She was caught.

His boisterous laughter filled the open air around them as Hyejin sighed in resignation.

“Ok, yea, you have a point. But still!” Hyejin stomped her foot as she went to grab the sponge to clean the car.

“Having Wheein in your life made you more confident in the very things you enjoy. You don’t have to hide behind that veil of that fake self of yours that you made when everyone projected their expectations onto you. With Wheein, you are your true self. And you became used to it. You’re no longer pleased with that built up facade of a persona, now all you want is to be who you really are.”

Hyejin could only stare at her uncle. Surprised. He just calmly uttered a flood of words without blinking.

“I……” Hyejin was going to argue, but he was right.

With Wheein, she felt like she could be her true self. That no matter what, Wheein won’t judge her harshly. That Wheein will accept her and her antics. That even Wheein will go along with her or talk her out of certain antics. But she nevers talks down to Hyejin. Not even mockingly. That Wheein talks to her as an equal. Not some sort of delinquent punk with piss poor grades and as such has no future besides working dead end jobs. No, Wheein sees Hyejin for Hyejin. Wheein sees Hyejin as a person with potential. And Wheein helps with discovering whatever that potential may be. All while expecting nothing in return. Well, maybe a kiss or two. 

“Hyejin, I can tell you feel strongly for this girl. So I’ll just warn you one last time. Please, be careful.” He gave her a serious look.

“I know….Ji Yeon told me the same thing…” Hyejin muttered. She doesn’t want to even think about the possibility of things not working out with Wheein. 

“Good. Now, one other thing,” He brought the bucket closer to Hyejin, “Don’t break her heart either.”

“What?!” Hyejin said as she whipped her head to look at him with an incredulous look.

“Look, I know you would never willingly hurt her. But things change. People change. Something could happen that could change you as a person.” He spoke in such a solemn tone that Hyejin couldn’t help but take his words to heart.

“But…...but if I change, then how can I not break her heart? WHat if changing breaks her heart?” Hyejin’s tone was just as solemn.

“If you change, then she will change as well. You two aren’t even adults yet. You will change just as much as she will.”

Hyejin remained quiet as she contemplated her uncle’s words. With each of the spong on the car, she reflected upon his words. She understands his warning well enough though.

“That doesn’t answer my question. How can I not break her heart?”

He only sighed and looked up at the clear blue sky, a small sparrow flew above him, “I hope that even if you two both change that you two will still come to an understanding. I guess the moral here is to always maintain that communication. You two will change, and I pray that you two won’t hurt each other, but if you do then at least have that channel of communication.”

Hyejin paused and looked at her uncle. He was still looking up at the sky with his expression unreadable.

“You kinda lost me.” Hyejin admitted.

He only chuckled before going over to pat her on the head.

“This is my very roundabout way of telling you, that I hope for you and Wheein’s relationship to last for as long as possible. And I hope, that even when you two both change, that two won’t break each other’s hearts. Especially if it could’ve been avoided by just simply maintaining some active communication.”

“It sounds like you’re trying to bestow upon me some everlasting wisdom in your final moments but you keep going around in circles instead.” Hyejin blurted.

He could only laugh at Hyejin’s bluntness and gave her one last pat on the shoulder before finally taking a sponge for himself, “Hahah! I’m not going to be around forever, so you’re stuck with my riddles!”

“Riddles? Those aren’t riddles!” Hyejin playfully flicked some water at him.

“Fine. It is up to you to decipher my words in your quest to find happiness.” He said in an overly dramatic tone. 

“Oh my goood, how am I related to you?”

“It’s the mole.”

The both looked at each other before bursting out into cheerful laughter. And their laughter remained in the air until they were finally done detailing the car. They enjoyed their time together and all felt right in the world. To Hyejin, her uncle will always be that force that is like a father, a friend, and a teacher. To him, Hyejin will always be the daughter he never had. She will be his legacy in this world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyejin finally pulled into the driveway and parked in her spot. While getting out she carefully handled the little bundle of flowers that she was going to give to Wheein to add to the ever growing garden. A spot that Hyejin dubbed ‘The Garden of Romance’. Much to Wheein’s pain. 

She knocked on the door and waited patiently. She was starting to wonder maybe if she should stop giving Wheein flowers for a while. There is only so much space and she can’t possibly suggest for them to invest in a greenhouse. 

Eventually the door opened, and a hamster greeted her.

“Ah, Hyejin-ah, right on time. Wheein is just about ready. She mentioned something about having to give Ggomo a lecture so she’ll be right out.” Moonbyul said with a slightly confused face.

Hyejin gladly shuffled insided and closed the door.

“Wait, she’s actually reprimanding him?”

Moonbyul nodded, “ I know right? I think this makes it the second time that she’s ever had to reprimand him.”

Hyejin had a bewildered expression. Moonbyul only beckoned her to come into the kitchen. Yong made small snacks again. This time it was fruit snacks

“You mean she’s reprimanded me more than that cat?! She’s had that cat longer than I’ve been around yet he only got scolded twice?!” Hyejin’s voice pitched higher at the end.

Moonbyul made a small plate for Hyejin and offered her to sit at the table.

“Yup.” Came the nonchalant reply while Moonbyul cooly leaned against the countertop.

“That little rat. What is his secret?” Hyejin muttered and pondered while eating the snacks.

“Hm? Are you a little jealous of a cat?” Moonbyul asked with a raised brow. To be fair, she too was once jealous of Yong’s pet. 

Through a mouthful of food came the simple reply, “Uhhhhhh, no?”

“Oh, is Hyejin jealous of Ggomo?” The dragon finally entered the fray.

Hyejin nearly choked, but sputtered out a reply, “I am NOT jealous of a cat, thank you.”

Hyejin would’ve said more but the way Yong looked stopped her. It may be blunt, but she has to know. This time she has to know. Last time she didn’t ask and she thought about it for days so she’s not going to make that mistake again. 

“Did you just crawl out of a dirt grave??”

Yong was covered in dirt. From her feet to her head. The only thing you could see were her ever watchful eyes and bright smile. And the small shovel that she had in her hand. 

Yong’s already bright smile turned blinding, “We’re making a greenhouse!”

Moonbyul sighed and gave Hyejin the answer she was really looking for.

“A big bag of soil fell on top of her.”

Before Hyejin could respond, Wheein finally appeared.

“Hyejin-ah!” 

Wheein quickly enveloped Hyejin in a hug. She seems excited today. A smile easily found its home on Hyejin’s face at the thought of Wheein’s happiness. 

“We’re building a greenhouse! From scratch!” Wheein beamed.

Hyejin was taken back yet again by this family’s antics. So much whiplash today.

“Wait, what? From scratch??” Came this confused cub's response.

Moonbyul felt sorry for Hyejin. Hyejin only wanted to have a nice date with her girlfriend yet here she is. Getting ered punch by a dragon and a puppy. The poor lion won’t stand a chance against that tag team combo. Might as well paint a clearer picture for the poor cub. Maybe the cub can talk some sense into the dragon and the puppy. Afterall, Moonbyul had plans aka spend time with Yong while the kids were gone. But no.

“They took it upon themselves to go ahead and make a greenhouse since it’s going to get colder now and they don’t want to worry about the flowers freezing to death. And also grow our own vegetables so, you know, two birds with one stone.”

Hyejin only looked between Moonbyul and the eager dragon and puppy. She knows there's an unspoken question here. But it’s obvious on what her answer is.

With one last glance between them, Hyejin shrugged and gave her answer, “How can I help?”

A cheer of victory came from the dragon and the puppy at Hyejin’s response. Yong gave Moonbyul a smug look, but did whisper promises into her ear. While Wheein let out a woot and hugged Hyejin again.

“I have the best girlfriend ever!” Wheein said as she planted a kiss on Hyejin’s cheek. 

A goofy smile made its way onto Hyejin’s face. And it didn’t come off until she went to sleep that night.