Ch 7

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

The usually short ride home turned into the longest interrogation in history. Wheein couldn’t sink any further into the car seat so she opted to pray for salvation. Salvation from her inquiring mom. 

“You can’t sink any further into the seat, so answer my question.”

She turned to face her mom, silently wishing for this moment to pass and she could finally face the brave new day. But no, the curious dragon would not release its grip on her until its curiosity has been fed. 

“She’s just a friend mom.”  Admittance. 

A soft hum emanated from the back of Yong’s throat. Wheein could swear she can see a dragon clasps its claws together in thought. Hands still on the steering wheel, Yong posed another question.

“A new one I assume. You’ve rarely talked about the others, how are they?”

Danger. The dragon is close to discovering the well kept secret Wheein tried so hard to keep. But it's hard to keep things secret from dragons. Especially if said dragon is your mom.

“They’re fine. Right now they are all focused on projects and everything. Making sure that everything is an 85 or higher,” A shrug, not directly looking at her mom lest she finally breaks, “just the usual. Trying to get into a good university means you need to get a head start, you know?”

Yong gently looked at her daughter. Her words suggest not to worry but her tone and body language suggests otherwise. As much as Yong wanted to know more about her group of friends, experience has taught her that she needs to hold her tongue. Prying too much would result in Wheein becoming more withdrawn than normal and that leads to no questions being answered. It is better to let Wheein come to her about problems instead of forcing them out. Much to her pain of witnessing her beloved daughter fight her demons by herself. But such is the life of a parent, there is a point to where even the most powerful wills have to bend down to the law of self discovery and such the parent must take the sideline as their child goes through their trials. However, she can give her love and support to her daughter during these trials.

“ Ah, and you?”

“What about me?”

“Plans for university? Or should we still expect you to become a hermit who lives in a cave, who only comes out for your art shows? I think Moonbyul still has that contingency plan somewhere.”

Wheein silently screamed to herself for her foolishness. In an effort to avoid a major subject, she inadvertently drew attention to another sore subject. Well, it’s better than confronting the elephant in the room.

“Actually, I was thinking of living under a rock. People go spelunking into caves often enough and I want my privacy, you know?”

“Oooooh, well that shouldn’t change the plan too much. We just need to know in which area this rock will be.”

“How bout a primary rock and a vacation rock?”

“Will there be enough space for us to visit? You know how your mother is.”

“Yes, I know how your wife is. And yes, I’ll make sure that there is plenty of space for you and mother and your four dogs.”

The ride that started off tense ended in a chorus of laughter between mother and daughter. Their laughter shifted to small chuckles as they entered the household. As their chuckles echoed in the hallways, so too did their footsteps echo upon the marble floors. Yong immediately placed the keys into the shell bowl that was on the black marble with gold accent table that was conveniently placed in the entryway, right by the stairs. 

“Looks like we beat her. How long do you think it would be before Byul comes home?” Yong asked as she went upstairs to put up her bags.

Luckily the house was open enough that Wheein did not have to raise her voice by that much from inside the kitchen. Finding her prize, she made her way to the lower verandah while answering her mom. 

“Hm, based on her complaints all week, I would wager it would be another three hours.”

Finding the couch on the verandah, Wheein threw her bag to the next chair over before sprawling herself on said couch. Soon enough, the warmth of the rays of the sun passing through the clear vinyl plastic curtains that surrounded the verandah lured Wheein into a soft slumber. So softly she slumbered, not even the racket her mom was causing upstairs reached her dreaming mind. 

Eventually Yong emerged victorious. She had a bit of trouble putting her bags up but she managed without any major injuries. This is what happens when you forget about the 90lb body dummy that was quickly stuffed into the closet before leaving. So, she made her way down, if Byul was going to arrive in three hours then might as well get some rest before she started to cook. 

As she made her way into the verandah, she immediately noticed Wheein’s sleeping form. Face down on the couch, left leg and arm touching the floor, right leg and arm curled up on the couch, truly the picture of a tired teen. The sun’s rays basked Wheein in such a warm glow that it was almost as if the scene before Yong’s eyes were a baroque piece. The artistic value of the scene soon changed when Wheein shifted and fell straight to the floor. 

Yong only grimaced as Wheein yelped.

“Aww, you ok?”

Wheein sat up with the smallest of pouts. Like a dejected puppy. 

“Why didn’t you save me?”

Puppy eyes looked at her with betrayal. 

“There are some things that you have to learn the hard way.” Yong stated matter of factly as she made her way to the other couch and made herself comfortable. Might as well talk a bit more. Afterall, Wheein did dodge the subject of that Hyejin girl pretty bluntly.

Wheein got up with a huff and picked up her bag and immediately went to her room. 

“I just got comfortable! Why are you leaving me so soon?” Yong whined after Wheein’s retreating form. 


“Cuz I want to get in a few winks before we have to make dinner without worrying about falling off.” Wheein said while heading towards her room. All the while she looked outside and admired the shimmers of the pool that was in the center of the house. The open space of the verandah and the hallways would just be as cold as the outside world were it not for the covers. They trapped the heat of the sun while keeping the cold of the day at bay. 

Soon enough she stood in front of her door, but before she opened it she waited. Eventually, the soft pitter patter of gentle footsteps gave her the cue she needed to open the door. Ggomo has a bad habit of being near the door, and after a few accidental launches, both learned what to do in order to prevent such an ordeal. 

“Good afternoon Ggomo, how was your day?”

A bored stare.

“I see. Did you come up with any solutions to such a dilemma?”

A yawn and a stretch.

“That’s a bold plan! What are your backups?”

A stare again before finally turning around and ignoring her presence.

“Ah, I don’t blame you.”

Putting her bag on the bean bag chair, Wheein plopped onto her bed with a loud bounce. Facing Ggomo, who was still ignoring her, she spoke. Afterall, there is comfort in speaking your worries out loud. You can notice things that you may have missed while those worries bounced around in your mind.

“What do you think I should do? I mean, I know I should tell them the truth of what happened between me and all my ex-friends but…..how?”

Soft purrs filled the air.

“I know they mean well but they will ask questions and I will have no answers. No answers and no reasons.”

A soft sigh as Ggomo shifted positions.

“Ugh. I know I should just tell them what exactly happened and let them form their own opinions but…”
Her trail of thought paused briefly as she shifted to a sitting position. Clutching a pillow as she continues to talk at Ggomo. Clutching as if her worries and woes will disappear if she forces them out onto a physical object.

“But knowing them, they will try to fix it.”

Another sigh from the ever content Ggomo.

“But they can’t fix it. It’s already done. What else can you do besides move on?”

Another stretch and another shift.

“I already moved on. So, why even bother telling them? It’s not like they can do anything now.”

No shift, no sigh, no purrs. Just quiet slumber.

Wheein stared at Ggomo as he slept. Contemplating how it must be to be a spoiled cat. How easy the world must seem like.  To live with no worries of the future for time is in it’s raw natural state, only humans have forced arbitrary meanings to every hour of the day.

But that’s a different rabbit hole to delve into. There were more personal things to think about now. So, with a shake of her head Wheein got up and tried to squeeze in some homework. Taking a nap now meant that she would not be able to fall asleep later and she does not want to be alone in her thoughts tonight.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

She barely managed to finish her pre-calc homework before her mom called her to help with making dinner. Two hours just to finish a page and a half of work. And that’s for one question. But after a big stretch and a noise to let out all the pent up energy, Wheein finally got up to go help. 

“Wish me luck Ggomo. I have a feeling dinner's gonna be more like an interrogation.”

Ggomo’s back saw Wheein out as she closed the door and scampered towards the kitchen.

She should know what to expect by now but she can’t help but be surprised. She knows her mom is competent but it’s scary how competent and incompetent she is at the same time. While the kitchen itself was in no state of disaster, her mother was. Always the busy body. 

“How did you get flour in your hair and your back??”
Yong only slightly tilted her head towards Wheein. The only acknowledgement she received as Yong continued to focus on whatever she was kneading in the bowl before her.

Wheein gave in and ventured forth toward her mom to figure out what the hell she was making and to see if whatever she was making was the cause of her mom being covered in flour. However, the answer came to her in scent. She was barely halfway to Yong before the scent hit her and all her worries vanished. 

“Bread!!” 

“Yup. And as it turns out, flour doesn’t like being treated roughly.”

“Did you ask the flour permission? Did you guys at least have a safe word?”

“Wheein-ah!!”

Wheein’s laughter filled the room as she began the normal preparations for dinner. Gather plates and utensils and prepare the table. Her mom already did most of the work with  actually making the meal but Wheein has an important part too. To make sure that the minute her mother gets home, that all that stress from work is left at the door. 

And on cue, as Wheein set down the last set of napkins, the door opened. A moment of silence followed. Well besides Yong still milling about and putting the dough in the oven to be cooked. The moment of silence ended as a loud long groan imminated from her mother. Wheein did one last pass by the table to check if everything was where it needed to be before meeting her mother in the entryway.

“That lasted a good 30 seconds. I guess you have a ton of stories to tell today.” Wheein said as she made her way to her mother to get her greeting kiss on the top of her head. 

“It’s nearing the end of the year,” Keys aggressively tossed into the bowl, “And SOME people are just now REALISING what their JOBS are NOW.” Each point was emphasized by how loudly Moonbyul tossed her things to the side. Not really. More like aggressively put up. Her jacket aggressively removed, neatly hanged. Tie forcibly removed, neatly folded and placed on the table. Shoes yanked off, gently placed to the side. 

Wheein only hummed in response. Whether it be age or lack of wisdom, there are just some things that Wheein cannot comprehend. One of those being is how in the world certain people get to certain positions despite their skill set. 

Noticing the thoughtful look on her daughter, Moonbyul breathed deep. She’s home now. Where two of the most important people are. Time to change focus. And with a deep exhale, Moonbyul shifted gears.

“I’ll tell you more over dinner if you tell me what happened today after school.” A knowing grin eased it’s way across the hamster’s face. Eyes twinkling with forbidden knowledge. The CEO of an up and coming entertainment company  vanished, and in its place was a greasy hamster of a mother. 

Doom. Doom is near, and doom is eternal. 

Looking at her mother’s knowing smile Wheein realised at this moment, she done ed up.