Ch 4

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

It happened. The dreaded group project assignments. And worst yet, she has managed to avoid being paired with any of her old friend group until the last class. The physics class. But, to every con there is a pro. And in this case this pro was being in the same group as Hyejin. Finally, an acquaintance. Of course this had to happen on a friday. 

At first there was a hope, a chance that maybe, maybe, they can choose their groups. But as the day passed, word had gotten around on how the groups will be assigned. Though, thinking about it now, maybe it was better that way. Wheein barely knew anyone in the class to begin with so it was a blessing in disguise.

Well, until she saw who she was assigned with. Then, and only then, did she actually consider dropping out of school & be the art hermit she was meant to be. Her parents have mentioned that they will not be surprised by that outcome. 

The groups were in four and the assignment was to build a catapult, a more interesting way to learn about projectile motion. Which, normally, Wheein would look forward to a project like this. It usually means the other members of the group would be more engaged in the project and not leave Wheein to do everything. Admittedly, she would still end up doing the report afterwards but that is only one small bit in the overall grand scheme of things. Which, that would be the ideal scenario, if the only variable that mattered actually had a heart and spared Wheein the awkward pain of being paired with unideal partners.

As said before, Hyejin was one of her partners, which was alright. Hyejin was an acquaintance at this point so this would be a great opportunity to step up that relationship from acquaintance to friend. But with that step forward, there are always two steps back in some sort of aspect. In this instance it was the remaining group members. Hyon Kwang-Hoon and Sa Young-Ah.

Thus kindly, her worst days were to come.

Hyon Kwang-Hoon. Loud, brash, judgemental, quick to impulse, and top of the class. Being friends with him meant there was never a dull moment. At one point in time, Wheein even had a crush on him, but eventually their personalities matched more with being friends. At one point, she would have looked forward to working with him but now? After the collapse of their friend group? After the severing of their bonds? The only feeling she had left within her was dread.

Sa Young-Ah. To the passing stranger, she is a nobody. But, take the time to know her then it is discovering a whole new world. Her mind and her manner of thinking is so out of the box that Wheein was surprised that she got involved in the fallout. Then again, her ride or die nature solidified the side she was on. A pity. Wheein believed they could have remained friends still, they got along fine and had multiple, various, and diverse conversations. But, it may have just been superficial to Young-Ah in the end.
When the teacher announced the names of the groups, the dread kicked in full throttle. Her group came up and once those names were announced, she felt eyes. And with those looks came the seething aura of disdain. 

After the rest of the groups were named, it was time. Time to meet with her group to talk about a plan of attack. Or at least she would, if she wasn’t currently stuck in her desk contemplating the option of being a hermit that only comes out to mingle with the outside world when it is time to sell her art pieces.

“Hey Wheein, I don’t think staring at your desk like you’re disappointed in being inna group with me will help us out in this project thing.” The raspy voice again came out of nowhere.

A little jump, and a few blinks to clear her mind, Wheein faced Hyejin who was standing in front of her desk with a soft smile.

“Ah, I’m sorry. I was just….thinking.” It started off strong but ended in a defeated whisper. Hyejin raised an eyebrow and was about to ask the reason for it but she was cut off before she could utter a single sound. 

“I see we still have to cater to you, Wheein.”

A jab.

“Hopefully, you’re actually helpful this time.”

A punch.

“Yeah, and maybe ---”

“The are you guys going on about?” Frustiation. Confusion. The combination of them both brought attention from Wheein to Hyejin. 

“Oh yea, we got you too.” Young-Ah said with a visible scowl and roll of the eyes at the end. 

Hyejin looked at her incredulously. The project hasn’t even started and she is already confused. Sure, she has been confused so far in the class, but this goes beyond the classroom. 

“Hey wh---” Again, before she could even speak, she was interrupted. But by a voice not filled with a sneer. But instead a voice as shaky as anyone’s current financial future in this economy.

“Can we just get this project done and over with?”

Kwang-Hoon scoffed, “That’s the best idea you have ever had.”


Wheein tried to make herself as small as she could, Kwang-Hoon huffed, as did Young-Ah, as they went to get chairs so they could sit, and Hyejin growled.

“Wheein, what the is that about?” A harsh tone, spoken softly enough to not garner the attention of the others but loud enough to reach Wheein’s ever closing mind.

Wheein could only sigh, this was going to be the longest project in her entire existence so far, and who knows how she will be at the end of it.

“It’s fine. As long as we do our work, this is trivial. Let’s just get along like the acquaintances we are and get a good grade on this.”

Hyejin stared long and hard at Wheein. Examining every little detail to determine how she truly felt. Did she really feel like they were just acquaintances? Hyejin felt like they were more like passing friends. Did Wheein truly believe that whatever beef she and the other two had would be put aside for one project? 

And so she stared. Basically staring from when the other two left to when they came back. And during that time, Hyejin took in every detail of Wheein she could. Memorizing her face and features, noting which areas would communicate more about how Wheein is really feeling.

Kwang-Hoon and Young-Ah came back with their chairs and their notebooks at the ready. The air is still thick with untreated frustration but at least they have the decency to cooperate a little bit. Afterall, their grade is riding on this. 

And so they talked. Mostly Wheein and the other two talked. They knew what the goal of the project was and understood the concepts it employed. They droned on. First it was the splitting of responsibilities. Hyejin made it perfectly clear that she should not be put in charge of anything that involved formulas. And so they droned on even more. Eventually Hyejin was left in charge of the actual assembly of the catapult based on what the others will tell her. Easy enough.

What was not easy was the air around them. Hyejin was used to the nonchalant, no care in the world types where laughter comes easy to everyone. But try as she might, during the rest of the class, Wheein, Young-Ah, and Kwang-Hoon never cracked even the smallests of smiles. Eventually she gave up and elected to just sit there, not being helpful at all. 

She heard whispers from her classmates as she pretended to daydream.  

“Wow, I wonder if they were put in a group with her to be a good influence.”

“Those poor guys, I heard the last time she was put in a group, they almost failed.”

“Hey, are they friends anymore? I heard that they all had a falling out.”


“Man, that’s awkward as . But looks like they’re taking it in stride. They always were an odd bunch of weirdos anyway.”

“I know right?? Well, birds of a feather flock together.”

And so on, and so forth. The same gossip. The same lies.

Eventually class ended and everyone scattered. Well, except for Wheein and Hyejin. 

Wheein purposefully lingered behind. There was no reason to rush out anymore, there was no one to meet anyway. Hyejin did leave, but to only end up waiting outside. She needs to know. Yeah she probably has no business even asking but the hurt she saw in Wheein’s eyes as those two threw their comments. Those sweet, brown eyes that hold the world and its known universe….

Wait, what.

Hyejin shook her head, now is not the time to get distracted by a slip of the mind. Her main reason to be staying behind instead of meeting with her own crew was to get answers. To get the full picture before she makes her moves. Before she does anything stupid. Before she follows her heart.

As she contemplated on her future actions, Wheein finally made her way out. Hyejin stood tall and went towards her but Wheein completely passed her, those sweet, loving, brown eyes were focused on the ground. The world around Wheein was nothing but an unwelcome nuisance. She noticed nothing but her own beating heart.

Hyejin was left conflicted. Clearly Wheein was feeling terrible, but they were not close enough for Hyejin to just inject herself into the situation to try to help. After all, she has a promise to keep. With a disgruntled hum, Hyejin rushed past Wheein to stand in front of the path she was taking. 

“Wheein!”

The usually raspy voice calling to her would pull her out of the fog state she was in but not today. Today, she was focused on one thing. And that was survival.

“Wait, Whee--”

Bounce back. Unexpected blockage on the path. Reset.

Wheein gave a small yelp as she connected with another body. 

Hyejin stumbled backwards only a little bit before catching herself.

Upon seeing who she bumped into Wheein went into immediate apologetic mode, “I’m so sorry! I didn’t see you! Are you ok?”

The flood of apologies rushed to Hyejin’s ears but she only brushed them off.

“It’s fine Wheein. No need to apologise, afterall, I did kind of get in your way.”

Wheein sheepishly hummed in response, Hyejin wasn’t wrong but she still should have noticed. She should have noticed a lot of things.

“Hey, Wheein, uh, where are you headed now?” What is this nervousness she felt while asking her that? 

“Oh, I’m just going out front to wait for my ride. Why?” 

“Cuz I want to ask you something.”

A of the head, making Wheein look more puppy like than usual. Hyejin had to fight the urge to squeal out of the cuteness she was witnessing. This was serious, no time to lose your over a cute girl doing something effortlessly cute. 

Wait, what?

“Well, I have nothing better to do, so sure. Ask away.” A simple shrug, and an expected look. Hyejin has not proven herself to be a bad person that everyone else has painted her to be. But that does not mean the question will not take her by surprise. 

Hyejin took a breath and braced herself. This may destroy the bridge before it even gets finished. But it was the only way to truly form her opinion. The only way to truly deepen their bond. The only way to start their path to true friendship. Afterall, she never got to thank her and she still has to return it. 

“What happened with you and your ex-friends?”