Ch 26

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

The morning after, Wheein awoke to an empty bed. At least the warmth from Hyejin’s body still lingered so there was that small comfort. An empty, still warm bed, but with the smell of breakfast in the air.

She knew Hyejin liked to cook, but she didn’t know how well she cooked until this week. The minute she bit into one of Hyejin’s dishes, she knew she didn’t want to eat anyone else’s cooking. Well, except maybe her parents, but that’s besides the point. Right now all she wants more than anything is to eat whatever Hyejin is making. Eat and be warm

With only slight grumbling, Wheein finally left the comfort of the blankets and made her way to the kitchen. The cool ocean air of the morning quickly enveloped her as her soft footsteps echoed across the cold tile floor. She was still half asleep, but she had her target in sight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hyejin heard Wheein’s small footsteps but didn’t turn around. She had to make sure to not burn the bacon. It didn’t sound like Wheein even fetched her shirt when she got up, so seeing a bare torso Wheein first thing in the morning would be hazardous to Hyejin’s health.

When Hyejin first woke up, she had to pinch herself a couple of times to verify that Wheein was on top of her, practically except for the pajama bottoms. She wanted to stay in that position for as long as possible. Even through her shirt she could still feel how soft, supple, and tender Wheein’s skin was. But, even with that temptation, Hyejin could only admire Wheein. Admire how the sunlight shone through the open balcony door and illuminated Wheein in such a light that she looked like a painting. Truly a piece of art.

She gently combed her fingers through Wheein’s hair, and despite being asleep, Wheein responded. Upon Hyejin’s touch, a soft sigh escaped from Wheein as her body automatically sought after the source. Her body automatically tried to cuddle closer even if she was already as close as she could be on top of Hyejin. With a soft smile on her lips, Hyejin gently kissed the top of Wheein’s head before making her great escape in order to cook breakfast. 

Setting up the kitchen as quietly as she could, Hyejin’s mind reflected back on the events of the previous night. She remembered everything, vividly. Wheein’s cries, whimpers and moans. How Wheein’s body moved underneath her and how the shadows danced along the skin as Wheein writhed and squirmed. 

Usually such thoughts would make Hyejin’s desire resurface once more, but not this time. This time it was different. Instead of that insatiable hunger deep within her very core, Hyejin felt serene. Even if her most basic of desire was not met, that didn’t matter. What mattered was that Wheein felt comfortable enough to be exposed around her. She couldn’t stop the goofy smile that came across her face when she was a bit proud of that. Proud that she was the luckiest person in the world. She was the only person to see Wheein like that. And she plans to keep it that way. 

The grin stayed on even as Wheein’s footsteps came towards her. Soon enough the footsteps stopped and Wheein’s arms wrapped around her. Hyejin expected a soft goodmorning back hug, but this wasn’t it. Wheein latched onto Hyejin with the strength of a thousand suns. Despite not being able to breathe suddenly, Hyejin couldn’t complain. 

Hyejin’s theory was right. Wheein did not even bother to cover herself back up. Not even with a blanket or towel. Hyejin was once again met with Wheein’s bare skin being pressed up against her on her back. So she let Wheein cling. She would have let Wheein cling for as long as Wheein wanted but she kinda needs oxygen to survive.

“Uh, babe? I kinda need to breathe.”

Hyejin felt Wheein’s arms relax, but that was it. Wheein was still clinging to her.

Hyejing strained her neck to take a peek at Wheein. 

“Wheein-ah?” Hyejin asked as all she could see was Wheein burying her face into Hyejin’s mane.

“Warmth.” Was the only word Wheein muttered.

Hyejin chuckled while moving to set up the table. Even while moving about, Wheein still clung onto her.

“Maybe you wouldn’t be so cold if you had a shirt on. I’m surprised your nips haven’t cut me by now.”

Wheein only grumbled and clinged tighter. 

“It’s cold without you, Hyejin-ah.”

Despite being whispered, Hyejin still heard her. And in one fluid motion, Hyejin turned herself around in Wheein’s arms in order to face her. The sudden movement made Wheein almost release her grasp, but she froze once Hyejin caressed her face. 

Hyejin could have just rested her hands on Wheein’s face, but she couldn’t resist the urge to lightly smush Wheein’s cheeks. They were just begging to be smushed. Once Hyejin smushed them gently, Wheein whined and tried to escape. But it was to no avail. Hyejin had a firm enough grip that it was like holding a squirming puppy.

“You are so beautiful and cute,Wheein-ah.” Hyejin said before giving Wheein a gentle kiss. 

Wheein gladly accepted this kiss but still whined anyway. Especially since Hyejin left her hanging dry. Wheein wanted more but Hyejin just left her. She just simply stepped around Wheein to go back into the kitchen. 

“H-hey!” Wheein faced Hyejin with a pout.

“The food is getting cold! Speaking of cold, as much as I enjoy the view and want to see you like this 24/7, you need to put your shirt back on. ”

Wheein’s face flushed. She honestly forgot about it, despite the cold yelling at her that she’s nothing but bare skin right now. She just got comfortable. Being bare with Hyejin felt natural. Despite the night prior, Wheein couldn’t help but enjoy it. There was something raw and freeing in being bare and vulnerable around the person whom you love. But Hyejin was right, she needed to put a shirt on. Especially before--

“Ok you two, we ha---” Yong barged in with a planner in hand but she stopped in her tracks the moment she saw the scene before her.

They all stared at each other. Frozen. Unmoving. Time ticked by so slowly before the two young girls tried to scatter like rats. Emphasis on tried.

Wheein bolted into the bedroom and closed and locked the door behind her. Praying for Hyejin’s health and safety. Meanwhile, Hyejin tried to bolt too but had nowhere to go. She was easily cornered by the dragon. The dragon with a smile on her face but with a dangerous gleam in her eye.

“Hyejin, what did we say about behaving yourself?”

The young lion could only cower. She was going to get an earful so early in the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the week passed without incident. The only difference now was Wheein may have enjoyed being shirtless a little too much. The moment that they came back to the condo at the end of the time, Wheein immediately took off her shirt and bra. 

At first, Hyejin would just gawk, or choke on her drink, but mostly choke. Unsure as to what to make of this newfound Wheein habit. But she wasn’t going to complain too much. She savored the joy that she’s the only person who gets to see Wheein like this. After the first night, Hyejin got used to it.

It didn’t even affect their evening routine. Their evening routine consisted of just spending time on the balcony for the rest of the evening before going inside to shower and go to sleep. Wheein would either read or draw, using the calm ocean and reflected moon as her inspiration. Hyejin would enjoy the time while munching on a snack. Mostly they would just cuddle. Enjoying the calm ocean waves, the lazy moon and it’s reflection, the smell of seawater. All while being in the one place they would eventually call home. Each other’s arms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as their vacation ended, school started. But it wasn’t mundane. This was the start of their senior year. The prequel to their adulthood. Where playtime is almost done. Now, for the more serious student, was the time to buckle down. Tests are abound, illusionary futures must be decided, and graduation is their last milestone. All were colliding in a span of ten months. 

Even saying it outloud, it seems like a lot of time. But, as both young girls will find out, time can strengthen or weaken even the strongest of bonds. That time is neither friend nor foe. To Wheein time was but a nuisance that she begrudgingly worked with, but now it was an ally. To Hyejin, time was but an old friend, but it’s dangerous to count on time. Time doesn’t care about loyalties. And time doesn’t care about who it hurts and who it takes away.