Ch. 1

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

The sun brought her back from the deep slumber that enveloped her from the night before. She stirred just a little, and peaked open an eye to adjust to her surroundings that were being engulfed in the dazzling aura of the sun. 

“Rise and shine!”

Oh, not the aura of the sun. Just the annoyance of a morning person called her mom. Sometimes it was easy to confuse the two.

“Ugh, five more minutes.” Wheein grumbled before turning away from the force of nature that was her mom once again. But to no avail.

Yong simply pouted before a sly smile made its way across her lips. Moving closer, each step heavy with committed intent, she made her move.  

“It’s already been five minutes. You’ve been hitting snooze on your alarm for the past 30 minutes!”

On beat to make her point, Yong yanked the covers off. Upon the sudden exposure to the cool air, Wheein flailed around in desperation and despair. Guess it was time to get up. Not like she had a choice in the matter. 

With a heavy groan and more grumbling, Wheein finally got off the bed. Putting on her slippers, she scuffled her way to her mom to receive her good morning kiss on top of her head before shuffling her way to the kitchen to get breakfast. 

While her daughter left, Yong made sure to at least make the bed, lord knew Wheein wasn’t going to do it. She made sure to enjoy it while it lasted. Afterall, it wouldn’t be too long before Wheein is ready to move out and make a name for herself. After gently tucking in the covers and making sure no wrinkles survived, Yong made her way to meet her daughter and wife in the kitchen for their ritual breakfast. 

Upon entering the kitchen, she stumbled onto the middle of an interesting conversation. 

“So, you’re calling me a rodent?”

“No! I’m just saying that you look like a hamster sometimes.”

“Oh…..so a rodent. Ok, ok. I get it. My own daughter sees me as a rodent. That’s fine.”

Yong finally made it to the table with her breakfast.

“Yong, Can you believe our lovely daughter thinks I'm a rodent? A rodent! Not a cool tiger or a powerful wolf!”

“Gah, stop misinterpreting me! It’s too early for this.” Wheein groaned into her cereal. Making a silent plea to have this day end already even if it has not already begun. 

Yong took one bite, chewing slowly as if thinking.

“She’s not wrong.”

“........Huh.”

Silence filled the air. The only thing breaking the silence was Yong’s eating as if she did nothing wrong. Moonbyul put down her own silverware, wiped her hands and mouth on her napkin before carefully placing it back down to turn to Yongsun. The movements were cool and calculated, Wheein knew all too well what was coming next and she took this as her sign to actually get ready to face the day.

She quickly finished the rest of her cereal before excusing herself. Her parents were still in their silent staredown as she left the kitchen. Hopefully by the time she pops out again to leave, they won’t be all over each other. That would be great. 

So, she began her own ritual. How she does it today will solidify the ritual for the rest of the semester. But it is the start of her junior year, so time to take things more seriously. Taking things more with a clear goal in mind. A goal that will lead her out of her parents shadow one day. 

She started with setting the mood. Being the daughter of the CEO of an entertainment company comes with some cool perks. Such as listening to sample songs from essentially the music division before anyone else can hear them. So, her playlist set, she started to get ready, mentally and physically. 

She had managed to survive the first two years of high school just fine. But with the end so far yet so near, there was a shift in the air. Last summer alone, her friend group fell apart. It was something over trivial, petty matters that should not have caused such a rift. But it happened. This past summer alone, she started to realise things about herself that she told no one else. Not even trusted Ggomo. This past summer alone, her insecurities were stronger than ever. 

With a big breath, a final sigh, and pressing the stop button, Wheein examined herself. Half making sure she followed the dress code, half hyping herself up. 

“Ok Wheein, you know the drill. Get in, get out. No funny business.”

“Are you gonna rob a bank? If you are then you need a getaway driver.” Moonbyul’s voice drawled through the door, making Wheein jump.

“Ugh, I told you already,” Wheein opened the door with her backpack on, ready to leave, “robbing a bank isn’t as easy as just going in and getting out.”

Moonbyul chuckled and followed Wheein out, “If you’re fast and precise then it would be possible though.” She gently ruffled Wheein’s hair, careful to not mess it up too much, she knew how much her daughter had worked on it. Wheein may have rolled her eyes, but her playful smile gave her away.

“Why are the two most important people to me talking about robbing a bank? Do you know what I would go through if you two got caught.” Yong met the two in the hallway, a lunch for each of them in hand.

“We know what you would do mom,” Wheein started and took her designated lunch.

“You would kill me and scold Wheein.” Moonbyul finished while also taking her lunch. 

Yong smiled brightly, “Ah, glad to know that we are all on the same page. Now, Wheein remember, don’t go breaking any hearts this semester.” She gave her daughter a warm smile and hug, “Focus on school first and don’t be lazy!” emphasizing her point by the gentle forehead pokes she gave Wheein.

Wheein gave a hearty laugh, “Wow, mom. You’re making it sound like I’m leaving for college and won’t see you for months!”

“Ah, it does feel like that. And I already know I will not be ready for when that day finally arrives,” She gave her daughter a long, warm hug with gentle, over the top kisses, before breaking away and standing tall, “Now, you.” 

Yong turned to Moonbyul with the look of high intensity. Moonbyul, whose face was full of love as she watched the scene between her wife and daughter, now stood at attention under the dragon’s gaze.

“Y-yes?”

“Make sure our daughter gets to school in one piece.” A step closer.

Wheein took this as another sign to go ahead and wait for her mother in the car. Hopefully her mother will survive this and remain functional for at least the trip to school.

“O-of course!”
“And one more thing.” Yong’s tone turned deep, almost to a growl as she stepped closer still. Her calm and collected face right in front of Moonbyul’s nervous face. 

“Yea??”

A beat of silence, a bead of sweat, a small gulp, then a kiss. 

“Have fun today! I know you’re looking forward to what the marketing team has planned and what the graphics team came up with to the challenge you gave them. Oh, and don’t give the accountants too much of a headache, ok?” Yongsun smirked.

The kiss paralyzed Moonbyul for just a moment before she broke out of her stupor.

“Ah! Kim Yongsun, why are you like this!”

A wider smirk, “Oh hush, you know you like it. Now get going or else Wheein will be late!” She shooed Moonbyul to get going.

“Oh you’re worried about her being late but not me being late?” Moonbyul said as she walked to the car where Wheein patiently waited. 

“Obviously.”

“Ah! You and your favourites!”

“Bye~ Love you~”

“Love you too. Don’t break too many noses today!” 

Yong’s hearty and full laughter reaches everyone within a five mile radius, making her wife and daughter smile as well. A good start to the day.

With that Moonbyul finally entered the car, asked Wheein if she forgot anything, then finally drove off.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moonbyul dropped her off at the front of the school and just before she left, Moonbyul left her with one piece of advice. Or, more of a piece of wisdom. No, more like a piece of cheesy knowledge. Actually, it was mortifying knowledge.

“Remember, Wheeinie, much to your mother’s dismay, I know you are interested in actually dating. No matter how much you try to hide it.”

Wheein wiped her head around, almost hitting herself on top of the open car door frame. How could she possibly know that? Sure, it has come across her mind once or twice but she was a teenager, when wouldn’t it come across her mind.

Seeing the wide eyed deer look her daughter was giving her, Moonbyul chuckled, “You can’t fool me kid. Remember, I’m the Master of Grease.”

The wide eyed looked shifted into a pained annoyance.

“Ok, bye mo--”

“Hey let me finish!”

Wheein stood and stared, hoping that none of her peers will not hear whatever greasy advice her mother will bestow upon her.

“As I was saying, I know you want to date. And honestly? You should. Try to find someone and shoot your shot Wheeinie. It’s an experience that is a part of life, and what better way to experience than the controlled environment of highschool?”

Wheein looked down. What her mother says is true. She wants to date but her social skills beyond basic human functionality in society are lacking. How will she ever find the will to actually ask anyone for a date? She is deeply aware of her emotions and what makes them tick but to act upon them? Foreign concept. Especially with what happened this past summer.

“Don’t think about it too hard now. Just keep it in the back of your mind, especially when you find someone cute. But, as mom said, focus on school first. The rest will come with time.”

With that, Moonbyul left, leaving Wheein alone to contemplate the words she had left her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arriving at school early had always been a pro. It meant spending time with friends before the dull chore of school started, it meant finishing work that was supposed to be finished the night before, it meant setting the mood for the rest of the day. But now? It was a pain. 

Sure it was the first day but already it felt like the foreshadowing to the days to come. She may have grown up with many of the fellow students, but today it felt like she was stepping into the school as a new student. Her primary friend group having broken apart meant that selecting a secondary friend group would be choosing a side. And she was not about to let that drama take over her right now, especially on the first day.

She wandered the halls, observing all sorts of groups and sub groups that the student population makes. She saw the nerds that are borderline creepers play their games in the library. She saw the jock types mingle within their own group first before breaking off to the groups that they truly belonged to. The popular types were being loud and boisterous as was expected. She saw everyone. And before she knew it, the bell rang and time for homeroom came. She sighed and turned to make her way to one of the only classes where she would actually see different faces even if it was for a short while.

So, she sat quietly and took out her sketchbook. Might as well get some drawing in before the day truly starts. Something to ease her nervous mind and body. She started with a couple of then she let the pencil guide her in what felt right, whatever right may be. 

“I swear Wheein, you should go into art school.” 

A soft, feminine voice broke her out of her stupor and she looked towards the source of the cute voice.

“Oh, Ji Yeon.”

Kim Ji Yeon. The popular one that everyone loves. The one that can easily talk to everyone. The one everyone knows by name, and somehow she will know yours too.

“Oh I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to interrupt you. I couldn’t help myself, the way you draw and what you draw is….amazing.” Ji Yeon stated matter of factly where at the end her voice faltered to an amazed whisper. The undertone of what she said made Wheein’s stomach shudder a bit. Nerves from being recognized by such a powerful force. 

“Uhm, it’s nothing really. Just something small to calm my nerves a bit?” The hitch at the end of her sentence made Ji Yeon quirk an eyebrow. That is new. Ji Yeon is not really known for expressing herself with minor facial actions that held such power. Maybe this past summer really did change everyone. 

Ji Yeon opened to say something more but the homeroom teacher asked for everyone to be seated. Taking this moment of calm, Wheein went back to her sketchbook, her only break away was just in response to attendance. Taking the time to lead her pencil in a small dance, she drew. Quick, short that seemed haphazard at first eventually gave away to a form. The long and slow gave life to what was once a loose blob that could have been anything. Now, it has form. Now, it has spirit. The form of a lounging lion filled the page.

She was giving the final touches to the face of the lion before the door opened. A student was fashionably late it seemed. That was all she registered before the noise of the desk next to her and the hushed whispers of her classmates brought her back to reality. So she investigated the source. With a sly turn of her head, her eyes met the person who caused such a  minor ruckus.

Ahn Hyejin, the biggest troublemaker around. The head of the group of delinquents and wannabe gangsters and the like in both looks and mannerisms. Like today, her outfit screamed rough biker, but to Wheein it was more like a tired person. The look of someone just rushing to put on decent clothes as if they overslept without meaning too. Despite this reputation of her, Hyejin was never a bully unlike the others that fell into the same category. Nay, she treated everyone how they treated her and she was just true to herself. At least, that is what Wheein has observed.

“Hey Hyejin, this is the earliest I’ve seen you get here.” One of her classmates commented.

“Did you not get into a fight last night? I heard you did.” Another said.

“What is with that look, girl? You got a bike next to that amazing car of yours?” Another purred.

Thus the floodgates opened. A majority of her classmates bombarded Hyejin with a million needless questions. Unfortunately for her, the teacher finished their spiel so there was no need to control the chaos. 

One after another, Hyejin answered none of their questions, instead making a point of blatantly ignoring everyone, looking everywhere and nowhere.  Wheein felt sympathetic. Just getting in and being bombarded with a barrage of questions is not something anyone should deal with. With a soft sigh, Wheein decided to give Hyejin a look of sympathy. 

As her gaze turned, their eyes met. A coincidence for sure but that did not stop Wheein from being a little spooked. She quickly turned back to her opened sketch book, forgetting that she had been done with her drawing long ago. She stared at it a bit more, the lion’s gaze on paper eerily matched Hyejin’s gaze. 

Scrunching her face in this odd observation, Wheein decided to take another glance. There is no way a mere person could have a look of a lion. Sure, people can have animalistic characteristics and traits, hell her parents and her friends call her Whee-pup, so it is not a big revelation. 

So she bravely looked again. And this time, she did not flinch when their gaze met again. Hyejin’s piercing gaze seemed to have been waiting for her to look again because the minute Wheein made direct eye contact, a smirk made its way across Hyejin’s face followed by a small, quick wink. Wheein could barely respond in any fashion before their eye contact was broken by physical interjection by Ji Yeon, who began to animatedly talk to Hyejin about who knows what.

Contemplating but a moment on what the smirk could have meant, Wheein shrugged it off before going back to her sketchbook. Still a bit shook about the similar gaze that peered up through the paper and through her entire being. Hopefully, all of this would be a one-time coincidence. 
 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, long time reader, first time poster. But yea, I was tired of holding this story just to myself so decided to share it to the world. Side note: Grammar is the bane of my existence so apologises in advance. Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this first chapter so far!