Ch 30

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

All of the college applications they sent began to pour in. One by one, all were acceptance letters. There was only one thing though. Deciding which one to go to. And deciding your major.

“ a duck,” Hyejin threw another letter on the table and laid down, face first on the floor.

“That’s physically impossible.” Wheein calmly collected and organized hers into piles, “Not to mention that’s called .”

“Why do I need college anyway? It’s not like getting a degree will actually get you a good job.” Hyejin grumbled to the floor.

“You need creditiantials to at least get the jobs that don’t as bad though.” Wheein gently patted Hyejin’s back.

“I wonder if I should just be an apprentice instead. Maybe a florist?” Hyejin turned her head so she could look up at Wheein, who was still busy organising her letters.

“Interesting proposal. Here’s my counteroffer,” Wheein patted Hyejin’s head and her luscious mane, “Cost of living.”

“That’s not even an offer!!” Hyejin whined.

Wheein only laughed while Hyejin could only pout like a dejected kitten.

“You make it look so easy.” Hyejin wiggled her way to where Wheein sat on the floor and wrapped herself around Wheein’s waist.

“Heheh. I’m glad you think so,” She leaned over to give Hyejin a small kiss before going back to work.

Hyejin hummed and snuggled closer into Wheein’s stomach. 

“Wheein-ah, why can’t we just go live in a forest?” Hyejin muttered.

“I like electricity and plumbing, thank you.” Wheein said without blinking an eye.

“Ok then, how bout a cabin with all modern utilities AND in a forest?” Hyejin asked the hypothetical question as if it were a legit possibility.

Wheein paused for a moment.

“Hmmmm. What kind of cabin?” Wheein asked as she went back to separating the offer letters into piles. 

“I was thinkin’,” Hyejin wormed her way into Wheein’s lap and draped herself across it so she could look up at Wheein. And so Wheein could also give her attention.

Wheein gave a reluctant sigh before leaning back onto her hands to let Hyejin get more comfortable. As Hyejin draped herself across Wheein’s lap, her shirt hitched up and exposed her bare stomach. The perfect canvas. Wheein began to absentmindedly trace her finger on Hyejin’s stomach in random patterns as Hyejin continued to talk.

“I was thinkin’ maybe a cabin in the trees! So that way if the river nearby floods then we’re safe.” Hyejin proudly grinned at Wheein. Clearly proud of her foresight.

Wheein began to write ‘I love you’ onto Hyejin’s stomach, “So, an elaborate tree house? And how are you going to pay for it?”

Hyejin whined and gently thrashed around like a child throwing a weak tantrum, “Why must you ruin my dream?”

“Wheein has been ruining dreams ever since she came out of the womb.” Yong calmly stated as she came into the verandah with another plate full of freshly made snacks and placed them on the table in front of the girls. 

Hyejin made grabby hands towards the snacks and made small little noises.

“Oh my god, you’re such a baby,” Wheein rolled her eyes but had a smile on her face while she grabbed some of the snacks and began to feed Hyejin anyway.

“I’m your baby,” Hyejin said with a goofy smile before eating what Wheein offered her.

Yong smiled fondly at them. The scene before her was reminiscent of her time with Moonbyul when they were in college. Speaking of…

“So, you two make any progress in picking a university or college?” Yong asked as she sat down on the armchair across from the pair of lovebirds.

“Yup!”

“Nope!”

Came the responses at the same time. It was obvious whose answer was whose. Yong could only shake her head. 

“Ah, Hyejin-ah, don’t make me withhold snacks from you.” Yong fake threatened. But, there was a hint of seriousness in her voice.

Hyejin only pouted, “It’s not my fault! They're all so expensive! Even the cheapest one hurts my soul to look at.”

Wheein only looked at her mom with a pained expression and a nod of agreement.

“And that’s looking at it after adding in the loans.” Wheein added. 

Yong could only grimace. She heard about how expensive college and university are nowadays, but she didn’t think it was that much. The first time she saw the expected tuition for one university that accepted Wheein was when she actually felt like the world was upside down. 

“What about scholarships and grants?” Yong asked with concern. She had a feeling why Hyejin hadn’t gotten those.

Hyejin sheepishly looked away, “I only qualified for the most basic of ones? Ya know, the ones they kinda give to everyone.  And, well, being a ‘known delinquent’ isn’t great.” 

Hyejin said with air quotes and glared at the ceiling. Wheein went back to drawing absent patterns on Hyejin’s stomach. Something to distract her from the pain of getting minimum financial aid.

The echo of the closing front door drew all of their attention. Moonbyul was home early. That is either a good thing or a bad thing. They all turned their attention towards the door to see what kind of mood Moonbyul will have. And to their relief, it was a good mood.

“Oh, why have we gathered here today?” Moonbyul asked the moment she saw them all gathered on the verandah.

“Just helping the kids with deciding on which college to attend.” Yong said as she accepted the welcome home kiss from Moonbyul.

“Ah, that time already?” Moonbyul asked as she moved on to greet Wheein and Hyejin.

“Gotta decide soon so we can sign up for orientation and stuff.” Wheein stated as she offered the top of her head for a kiss.

“It’s all a sham!” Hyejin’s loud declaration echoed around them as she gave a fistbump to Moonbyul.

“So young, yet so radical.” Moonbyul said as she made her way back to Yong to sit with her.  While also smoothly draping an arm across her shoulders.

“Of course! It’s either military, dead end jobs, or potentially dead end jobs! If you need to get a degree to get a decent job, and everyone and their mother are getting degrees, then isn’t that counterintuitive? Isn’t that kinda lessening the value of getting a degree?” Hyejin said in a huff. 

Yong and Byul could only stare at Hyejin while Wheein continued to draw mindlessly on her stomach. Ever careful with her touch as to not activate their desires right here and now. She has to admit, she’s been thinking more and more about it ever since that fateful hot summer’s night. She wants Hyejin. She needs Hyejin. She also needs to not get caught by her parents and have to suffer, yet again, another lecture on the birds and the bees.

“With that said might as well go into business. You already attract attention and say what’s on your mind anyway. And I know, there are some places that could use more people like you.” Moonbyul said with a shrug.

“Would you want someone like Hyejin-ah in your place of work?” Yong asked with a raised brow.

“........Hm….”

“H-Hey! Why are you hesitating?!” Hyejin popped her head just barely over the table to pout towards Yong and Byul.

“I’m just thinking if someone like Hyejin were to work for me. Hmmmmm.” Moonbyul placed a hand under her chin as she contemplated. Thinking long and hard. 

“Even I can’t tell if that’s bad or good.” Yong said as she also pondered such a thought.

“I work for you! You should know!” Hyejin whined again. She came out to have a good time, and honestly she’s feeling so attacked right now. 

“Yeah, but that’s with fighting. And you can’t punch your co-workers when they’re being es.”

“I---Ugh.” Hyejin accepted her defeat and elected to just lay limp across Wheein’s lap still.

“Awww, does the baby lion feel attacked?” Wheein asked as she pinched one of Hyejin’s cheeks.

Hyejin continued to pout and huff, “I’mma just be a florist then!”

“Probably need a business degree so ya can start your own business.” Moonbyul said.

“Oh, what about a botanist?” Yong asked. 

“Eeeeeew, environmental science. That means chemistry!” Hyejin felt conflicted. It did seem interesting, but what school would even have a decent environmental science degree.

“You already know a lot about flowers already, so maybe business? Like, uh, what’s it called?” She looked towards her mother for help.

“Hm? What’s what called?” Moonbyul tried to read Wheein’s mind, but like always, no luck.

“The thing with starting up your own business??” Wheein could feel the word on the tip of her tongue.

“Entre--” Moonbyul started before an excited pup interrupted her. 

“ENTREPRENEURSHIP.” The word finally came to her.

 “Huh, entrepreneurship?” Hyejin asked no one as she crossed her arms behind her head and stared up at the slow going fan on the ceiling. Thinking if maybe that would be a decent path to go down.

“Huh. Make your own florist business and maybe add a twist to it?” Yong asked out loud to no one in particular.

“Hmmmm…….maybe. Wheein! Pass me my papers!” Hyejin’s fire started up again at the thought of finally having a goal to achieve. A goal that will be at the end of the four years. An overarching goal.

Wheein saw the fire in Hyejin’s eyes so she gladly pushed the haphazard pile of papers towards Hyejin. She couldn’t help but smile. Hyejin always looked so cute when her mind was set to something. She just knows in her heart that Hyejin will go to the highest of places. And she can only hope that she will be by Hyejin’s side during that journey.

“Time to see which one has an amazing entrepreneurship program!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Graduation eventually came. Excitement was in the air as it felt like they were finally leaving prison. But, there was a hint of melancholy and bittersweetness. This was the last day that their innocence will be held. The forefront of adulthood was just ahead of them and they were on their own. An adult now could only offer them advice. No longer will they be spoon fed answers.

In celebration, the school seperated the seniors from the rest of the student body. Today was their day. So they stuck them in the gym and showed them their evolution from elementary school till now. Slideshows of various pictures from various stages of life appeared on the small screen and everyone enjoyed themselves.

They recalled memories and past events that shaped them to who they are today. But when Wheein saw the pictures of her and her old friends? She felt nothing. If anything, she felt like she was looking at a past milestone. No negative feelings towards them. Just the feeling that without things happening the way they did then she would have not  been with Hyejin. In essence, the feeling that the butterfly effect was at work. 

So, they reminisce. All the while, they maintained their contact. Instead of clinging to each other like they used to, they both grew. They grew to know that they don’t need to desperately cling to each other. They know that nothing will make the other leave. Well, except if the other becomes a cruel , but they know that won’t happen. So now they just opt to be near each other. Comfortable enough to let the other go. 

But that doesn’t mean that it’s like that all the time. They will always remain to be that clinging couple that can’t seem to let the other go. Afterall, their touch is the most important thing to them. Wheein doesn’t want any other hand on her, and vice versa.  At least their PDA got better. Much to the relief of their friends. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last bell rang and it finally hit them. That this was their graduation. That this was their last step as kids, and first steps as young adults. 

They barely had time to contemplate and enjoy themselves more before they found themselves seated before the stage later that evening. 

Everything felt surreal. It probably didn’t help that they had to sit in alphabetical order so being separated from Wheein made her feel lonely. So lonely that her thoughts wandered to where they shouldn’t unless she wanted to become a sobbing mess. Her thoughts went towards how her uncle wasn’t here to see her. Seeing her graduate was something he always said he wanted to see. He even bragged that he had an amazing gift for her as a graduation present. 

But before she could dwell on the missed milestone, it was time for her to line up to receive the little paper that was being worked towards for the past four years. She lined up and was basically vibrating in line. Excited at how it was finally happening. She could only hope that her uncle was watching her from somewhere else and that he too was just as happy. 

Once her name was called, she heard their cries. Wheein’s honey voice easily reached her ears first. Then it was her friends chanting her nickname ‘Hwasa’, then came the loud yelling from Wheein’s parents. Somehow, even if they were far away, she still managed to hear them as if they were right next to her.  Once on stage, in front of others, she maintained her cool attitude and strutted across the stage. But internally? She was a mess. 

The same happened with Wheein. Hyejin’s voice reached her ears first, then her friends, then her parents. She even wondered if their voice would be hoarse tomorrow but she knows better. That’s just how they are. They’re just loud.

Once it was time for them to throw their hats up into the air in celebration, they found each other. Alphabetical order be damned. They found each other right on time, and with clasped hands, they threw their hats up in the air. Silently hoping that they don’t lose sight of them because they do want their hats back. 

Once that was over, it became a mess. They managed to find and retrieve their hats before it was stepped on but they were surrounded. 

“I thought people had to wait. What’s with all this?” Hyejin observed as she held Wheein close.

“Some people are just impatient.” Wheein said as she easily snuggled closer to Hyejin. Ever safe in the other’s embrace.

“Ok, but, how are we--”

“Wheein isn’t cute as a puppy!!!” A voice cried out above the sea of people.

“Who the SAID THAT!!” Hyejin said in a tone that said she was ready to fight.

“Ah, there they are.”  The voice said once again.

The culprit soon revealed themselves to be Ji Yeon with everyone else in tow.

Once they were all together, they did a big group hug. Feeling that they just beat the last boss of the level. The adults let them hug, they know how big a moment this is. Especially for kids that were deemed a lost cause and weren’t expecting to make it to graduation. Let alone be accepted to multiple colleges and universities. They all found hope again and all the adults could do is do their best to support their children’s endeavours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once everything died down, they made their way back to their cars. While everyone else was way ahead, Wheein and Hyejin lingered a little further behind. Hand in hand, still trying to comprehend that this really is the end of highschool. 

“Hey, Wheein?” Hyejin’s voice was tender.

“Yes?” Wheein answered. She has a suspicion of what Hyejin wanted to ask. But she knows Hyejin needs that reassurance.

“Do you think he’s proud of me?”

Hyejin’s voice sounds like a small child that’s ready to receive their punishment. So small. So tiny. So delicate. Even if it has been a couple of months, that wound was still raw. And at every opportunity, Wheein tried to kiss that wound as often as she could to give Hyejin rest.

“Of course he is. He’ll always be proud of you. And he’ll always support you. Even if you do make questionable decisions like running from the law.” Wheein said with a grin.

They speak of Hyejin’s uncle as if he were still alive. In a way, he was. Wheein could see his influence on Hyejin. So as long as Hyejin lived, then he too will always live. That’s how it is isn’t it? No one truly dies until they are forgotten. 

“I was not running from the law!” Hyejin whined and pouted as she clinged onto Wheein’s shoulders like a koala. 

“Then tell me the story of what really happened!” Wheein tried to wiggle her way out of Hyejin’s grasp, but Hyejin clung on for dear life.

“Nope!” Hyejin said as she nuzzled into Wheein’s neck. Enjoying her scent and basking in the comfort it brings.

“Ugh,” Wheein may have acted annoyed at Hyejin’s antics, but she loved them.

They continued to walk in that awkward position as that straggled behind the rest of the group. Eventually they were out of ear shot.

“Hey, Hyejin-ah…”

“Hmm?”

“Look at me.”

Hyejin removed her face from Wheein’s neck to face her. The moment she did, Wheein gave her a kiss. A tender one. One that said a thousand words yet told one feeling. The feeling of love. 

Hyejin eagerly kissed back. Conveying the same message.  And when they broke off they touched their foreheads against the other. 

“Hyejin-ah….I love you.” Wheein whispered as she grabbed Hyejin’s hand to hold it.

Hyejin hummed, “I love you too, Wheein-ah.”

They could have stayed like that for a little bit longer, were it not for the fact that they heard multiple shutter shots as someone was taking pictures of them. The sound of the camera and the sound of a giggling hamster ruined their moment.

“Mother, plEASE.” Wheein gave chase to try to get rid of the evidence she knows her mother will keep.

And that’s how their night ended. In their own little bubble of the world with laughter all around them as they enjoy life to its fullest. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Long Author's Note since 300 Charcters aren't enough!


Ah, such bittersweet sorrow lmao jk.

Tbh, I never expected this much of a positive reception?? I wrote this for myself kinda so I never expected this much feedback. I thought this story would be buried HNGK. I also never expected to update this daily??? This has been the most committed I’ve ever been LMAO. But yea I’M NOT DOING THAT AGAIN. Getting only a couple hrs of sleep cuz I’m a fool who writes the chapter the day of uploading is getting taxing ;~;

Anyway, as promised, their story isn’t over yet. I’ve started to work on SNOEWGDI:Uni

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1442513/since-no-one-else-was-gonna-do-it-uni

Probably gonna update it like once a week to not burn out. I also started to listen more to the playlist I made for SNOEWGDI more so I have MANY ideas >:3

Also! SNOEWGDI side story is also gonna be up soon!

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1442508/snoewgdi-side-story-collection

I got some of the prompts already and stuff, just gotta actually write em (pssst, don’t be afraid to send prompts either! I wanna practice more on writing different scenarios based on what other peeps request & build my skills). This will have no update schedule cuz I also need to focus on my other stories in which I’ve heavily neglected ;~;

(I also wanted to respond to nearly all of the comments that were being left but then I FORGOT I’M SO SORRY)

And from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I hope you all enjoyed their story!

Until next time, adios!