Ch 14

Since No One Else Was Gonna Do It

When Moonbyul went to wake up the girls, she had no idea of what sort of scene would be awaiting her. She was expecting the girls to either be cuddling or be five feet apart. But this? This was a new level.

Moonbyul entered the room and was met with a mess. It seems like all the yelling from last night was actually from some sort of physical altercation. Which, at first, Moonbyul became concerned. What happened last night between them? As she continued to examine the crime scene she just shrugged off her worry. It looked like the girls just had an overzealous pillow fight.

But how did an overzealous pillow fight result in their weird sleeping positions? Wheein was mere centimeters from falling off the edge of the bed. Meanwhile, Hyejin was at the foot of the bed with half of her body on the bed and the other half off. For some reason, it was her upper half that was off the bed. From what Moonbyul could tell, it looks like Hyejin is going to wake up with some neck pains.

As Moonbyul stepped closer, her calls to them didn’t even make them budge, she saw the reason why they were in such positions. Right in the middle of the bed layed a stretched Ggomo. The two young girls were no match for one cat.

Moonbyul quickly took a picture with her phone so she could show Yong later, then gently poked her daughter awake.

“Wheein-ah, it’s 10 AM, wake up~” Each syllable was accompanied by a poke. And at each poke, a disgruntled noise emanated from her daughter. 

A gentle chuckle came from Moonbyul before she went over to try to get Hyejin to wake up. Somehow she was more successful but there was a price to pay. There’s always a price.

This price was a lesson.That lesson was that it’s probably not the best idea to poke someone who was halfway off the bed. Poor Hyejin had to suffer for Moonbyul to learn that lesson.Once Moonbyul poked Hyejin with a pen the poor girl awoke with such a jerk that she essentially completed a front flip. 

“Moonbyul! What did you do?” Yong just had to walk in to witness the chaos. 

“I was just trying to wake her up!” Moonbyul defended herself.

Amidst the chaos, Wheein finally woke up. With a stretch and a yawn, Wheein finally sat up to face the day. The day that started off with Hyejin on the floor, and her parents bickering. Wheein stared at the scene before her. How did Hyejin get on the floor and far away from the bed? Why are her parents bickering? Why are they even in her room in the first place?

Eventually she gave up and returned back to bed. She was too tired to try to figure out what was happening. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lazy sunday passed without much incident. Surprisingly. After the chaos calmed down in Wheein’s room, it was time for breakfast. And everything was normal. Even with Hyejin around. It was like Hyejin was always a part of their family. In some ways, it felt like Hyejin filled an empty space none of them noticed before. And it felt right. It felt natural. 

Her parents did not embarrass her outright. There were some moments, but everyone’s parents did that at some point, but other than expected parent tomfoolery, it was nice.Wheein talked to Hyejin, Hyejin talked to her, her parents talked to each other and her, but they also actively engaged in conversation with Hyejin. And to Wheein’s relief, Hyejin took it all in stride. However, Wheein knew that the moment Hyejin left then nothing would be holding her parents back from teasing her. Again.

And that’s how the morning passed. Filled with floating laughter and giggles and the feeling of comfort in the air. Then it was time for lunch, and Hyejin took that as her cue to finally leave. She did not want to impose on them any further and she did not want to make her parents worry even more. 

They all saw her off. Well, technically. Moonbyul and Yong accompanied Wheein and Hyejin to the door and that’s where their journey stopped. Despite the short journey, they both noticed the lingering and stolen glances between their daughter and Hyejin. Needless to say, they both had to hide their knowing smiles lest their daughter becomes self-conscious.

So, the parents watched as their daughter bid Hyejin goodbye. But, they couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight of their daughter and Hyejin being shy around each other as they were saying goodbye. They couldn’t see Wheein’s expressions but they could see Hyejin’s. So, they saw the moment a certain look passed on her face. A look they were more than familiar with.

“Hmm. Who do you think will make the move first?” Yong asked while hugging Moonbyul. She had to admit, seeing Wheein interact with Hyejin made her feel more…..soft, lately. Well, more affectionate.

Moonbyul gladly accepted the hug and gently placed a kiss on the top of her wife’s head, “At first, I would’ve said Hyejin. But now? Wheein.”

Moonbyul felt the comforting vibrations from Yong’s hum before she responded. “Well, if history has anything to teach us,” Yong teasingly pinched Moonbyul’s cheek, “ One of them will accidently make the move first before planning it out.”

“Planning what out?” Wheein asked as she appeared in front of them.

Yong and Moonbyul jumped at the sudden appearance of their daughter.

“You said bye already?” Moonbyul asked, even though the answer was obvious.

Wheein only nodded. Yong broke away from Moonbyul to stand in front of her daughter. She placed her hands on Wheein’s shoulder and Wheein let out a soft yelp. What was her mom planning?

But the answer showed itself in the dragon’s eyes. And in the slow smile that formed on her mom’s face. Moonbyul figured out what Yong was planning already, so she shot her daughter a look of reassurance. The rest of the day was going to be filled with questions once again. And more teasing.

“So, what happened last night? I can only assume so much based on the amount of yelling you two did.” Yong flashed an innocent smile at Wheein but her tone insinuated something else entirely.

Upon hearing her mom’s tone, Wheein’s face turned red, “ MOM!”

Wheein tried to escape her mom’s grasp, but no amount of wiggling can save her from this torment. She tried to look to her mother for help, but her mother only shook her head.

“I’m curious too so, sorry kiddo, you're stuck.” Moonbyul took a couple of steps forward to give Wheein a couple pats on the head.

Wheein looked between her mom and mother and saw no escape. Despite them being supportive, they were, and will forever be, curious. So, with a loud groan, Wheein gave in to their demands and told them about what happened last night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The week passed without incident. Both Hyejin and Wheein went about their normal ways. Or so they thought. From what Ji Yeon could tell, a million things have changed between them.

For starters, they were always near each other. Hyejin even started to Wheein to her next class. Or tried to. Wheein was in all the advanced placement classes so her classes were a good ways away from Hyejin’s. Especially with their schedule. But Hyejin tried nonetheless. 

Ji Yeon had to admit, she was a tad jealous. She was so used to receiving Hyejin’s attention that it felt weird to no longer have it. Or, to no longer have it as much as she used to. But seeing how Hyejin was with Wheein, and vice versa, Ji Yeon changed her tune pretty quick. 

Seeing Hyejin Wheein to class, Wheein helping Hyejin in her studies in the library in the early morning, it was all very cute. And it happened fast. So fast that Ji Yeon had to ask about it one day after class.

“Hyejin-ah, what’s going on between you two?”

Hyejin looked at Ji Yeon innocently, “Between me and who?”

Ji Yeon could only roll her eyes. Looks like she caught Hyejin being distracted, again.

“Between you and Wheein-ah. Ever since your little date last saturday, you’ve changed.”

Hyejin cocked her head to the side. Changed? Changed how? She’s been doing what she’s always been doing. Living her best life. What could possibly change?”

Seeing the confused look on Hyejin’s face, Ji Yeon gently banged her head on the desk. Sometimes Hyejin could really be oblivious. While it was cute sometimes, other times it was a real headache. 

“You’ve started to her to class, you’re actually in the library studying, and you two can’t be more than one foot apart.” Ji Yeon counted all the reasons on her hand and shoved them in front of Hyejin’s face to make the point stick. “And it hasn’t even been a week. So, I ask again, what happened?”

Hyejin paused in thought. She wanted to tell Ji Yeon exactly what happened to them over the weekend, but not here. Not with over eager ears so near them. So, time for the abridged version.

“Well, you know the question that I asked her saturday?”

Ji Yeon nodded. 

“Her answer came with,” Hyejin gestured into the air, desperately trying to grasp the right words in order to get her message across, “Her answer came with, like, conditions.”

Ji Yeon stared.

And continued to stare.

While Ji Yeon stared, Hyejin bobbed her head up and down. “Yup! If I get a B or higher on the next three tests, and we ace our physics project, then it’s a yes.”

Ji Yeon let out a soft chuckle that soon escalated to laughter. Truly, this lion has fallen for the artist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And so Ji Yeon continued to observe them during the rest of this never ending week. She saw that the day after she talked with Hyejin about what was up between them, she noticed how touchy they were being. THe first couple of days, Hyejin would just walk beside Wheein to class. But now? At the end of the week? She actively has an arm around Wheein. And then there was lunch.

The first couple days, at the beginning of the never ending week, they would just sit beside one another. By the middle of the week, the day Ji Yeon confronted Hyejin, they were practically sitting on each other. By the end of the week, Wheein was on Hyejin’s lap.

There was one thing that confused Ji Yeon, more than anything, was their intentions with each other. After school, Ji Yeon would text Wheein and ask her if she has a thing for Hyejin. But all of Wheein’s answers were ambiguous. Even with a possible date ahead, Wheein gave no hints as to what she felt about Hyejin. Wheein was hard to read like that. Wheein was nice and shy and practically a genius, but her emotions were hard to figure out. She rarely gets mad, or upset, or sad. It’s like Wheein just bottle ups those emotions. Bottle them up and place them on a shelf. 

Meanwhile, Hyejin was more open. When Ji Yeon asked Hyejin if she had a thing for Wheein, the answer was immediate. An immediate, non wavering answer. The solid answer of yes. In fact, Hyejin admitted to telling her uncle about Wheein. If that wasn’t proof enough that Hyejin was serious about Wheein then who knows what is. 

And that’s where Ji Yeon’s concern lies. 

Hyejin was so open with her emotions and intention with Wheein, but Wheein was so closed off. Even when they interacted with each other in school, it always bordered between being romantic or platonic. Ji Yeon saw the desire in Hyejin’s eyes, the yearning. Ji Yeon saw the hesitation in Wheein’s eyes, the indecision.

By the time friday came around, Ji Yeon was tired. Tired of seeing them dance around the borders of being romantic and platonic. Ji Yeon just wanted to leave them in a room alone so they could finally talk it out. But, Hyejin had a deal, and with the amount of work and effort Hyejin put into studying, Ji Yeon hoped that the dance would be over soon.

And her answer came in the form of a text message from Hyejin right after school was over. Well, in the form of a text and from the yelling she could hear from across the school.

WE’RE GOING ON A DATE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH