Origin

Love Works In Mysterious Ways

A/N: Hi all! Another update this week. Enjoy and do stay healthy and safe! :)

-------------------

Jisoo was not joking when she said that she could see red thread binding couples together. She knew that she could never see her own red thread but it was weird that she could not see Jennie's too. She had matchmade her with many people and it seems like there is no red thread no matter how hard she tried. When she saw how close Jennie was with Irene, she tried to see their fate.

-Flashback-

"Jisoo! Look at them, they look so close," said Jackson, as they bumped into each other at the entrance after lunch. He was pointing at Jennie and Irene, where the two of them were at the lift lobby. She could see Irene holding onto Jennie's shoulder as she was adjusting the strap of her heels while the younger was holding onto the PR officer's arm and waist.

Upon hearing it, she blinked a few times, activating her special sight, but she didn't see any red thread binding them together.

"That is strange," Jisoo wondered out aloud.

"What's strange? Didn't you matchmake them together? You should help me too," said Jackson, with a hint of desperation. Jisoo laughed and nodded at the guy, before pulling out her name card and said, "come down to my shop on the weekend. I can give you more detailed profiling."

-------------------

After that incident and what happened for the past two days, she was starting to be curious about her own fate. She went to share her problems with her mother on the plane ride to Guam, "omma, was imo able to see every client's red thread?"

Her mother put down the magazine and turned around, "sometimes it just boils down to the person. He or she will not form any attraction with the opposite person no matter how hard you try, but such cases are just 1 in a million."

"Do you remember Aunt Jeanette's daughter, Jennie? I can't see the red thread at all," said the redhead. It was puzzling. She never experienced this before. Not that she had seen a red thread between and her ex too. They were a different case. She knew that she and her ex were just getting together because they both wanted to be in a relationship. There wasn't much spark between them anyways. They were more like best friends hanging out together. They tried to bring the relationship further but nothing worked. It was until then when her ex decided to break up with her because he felt that he had met the love of his life. That made Jisoo mad, not at her ex, but mad at her own fate. Why must she be the chosen one, out of all the billions of people living on earth? That changed when she met Jennie, she knew that she wanted to experience real love. She wanted to accept her love but deep down, she knew that she can't because of her fate... as a matchmaker. Little did she know, this was just the tip of the iceberg of the many worries she had.

"It is quite surprising though, we never had such cases before. Maybe you can try to dig deeper and find out what is her preferences and work from there. Or perhaps you can go for it. She is better than your ex anyway," remarked her mother. Maybe a mother knows best.

"Omma, you do know that it will be hard for me to find someone before I accomplish it," sighed the redhead, while thinking of her mission. She then thought of her aunt and uncle who were happily married. Maybe there is a way, "omma, how did imo and samchon meet?"

"I think they met while they were in school. Since your aunt knew that she can never find her true love until matchmaking 1000 couples, she rejected your uncle but he is a very persistent person. He would always stay by her side whenever she needed him." Her mother smiled at the old memory. She remembered the times her sister would confide in her. Now it was her daughter's turn. When she found out that her daughter was the next successor, she was saddened but it was her family's fate. It is always one girl in every generation that would be destined to be a matchmaker. They can never run away from it. Nonetheless, it was still an honourable role for the girls in her family to take on.

The story had also reminded Jisoo of someone as persistent as her uncle. Jennie Kim. Her thoughts then drifted to the night when they were sleeping together and the confession by the younger girl, "I promise to take care of you even if you are not my destined partner. I love you, Kim Jisoo." That made the redhead smile. Mrs Kim saw the blissful smile and she smiled too. Maybe a mother really knows best.

"Was imo able to see the red thread binding between her and samchon eventually?" asked Jisoo. She was hopeful.

Her mom nodded in response and reminded the girl, "after 1000 couples."

That made the redhead realise something. She hadn't been keeping track of her matchmaking record. Maybe it was time to face reality, "omma, how many couples have I matched so far?"

"I haven't keep track, but it should be about 400?" replied her mother. Jisoo had been doing well and with technology, they were going at a faster rate as compared to her aunt's time. Her aunt only managed to match the 1000th couple by the age of 45. With the risk of advanced maternal age, even the Love God knew that passing it on to Jisoo was the most logical explanation. One day, Jisoo was able to see the red thread when she turned 21. It was also the age when she turned legal and had graduated from college. She wasn't prepared to take over the company. It was more like the role fell on her lap, whether she liked it or not. Maybe destiny just works in a mysterious way. It just presents your life role at the time when you least expect it to happen.

"It seems like my daughter is desperate to find her true love. Don't worry, it will eventually come," replied Mrs Kim, holding onto her daughter's hand.

"Sometimes I feel that I should not be the matchmaker. Look, I match people up for a living, but I am still alone. I don't want to die alone, omma," Jisoo confessed. She's scared. She wanted her happy ending too.

"Don't be so morbid, you will find your true love eventually. It must be hard for you to work at the office and at our shop. Take this time to relax and besides, we are meeting your aunt. You can ask her later."

The mother and daughter were enjoying their time on the plane to Guam, looking at the catalogue to buy some duty-free items and gifts for their relatives.

-------------------

-Arrival Hall-

"Eunbin! Over here!"

"Yubin! I missed you so much!" Mrs Kim lightly jogged out of the arrival hall, hugging her sister that she had not seen for a while. Jisoo had to walk slightly faster to catch up with her mother.

"I miss you too and Jisoo ah, you are getting prettier," said Aunt Yubin.

"Imo, glad that you are really happy and enjoying your married life. Hi, Samchon," greeted Jisoo with a huge grin. She was happy to see her aunt and uncle. She thought back about the times when the couple were still in Korea. She remembered that she had enjoyed spending time with them at the shop and also how they would bring her out. Let's just say the couple was like her godparents. She was blessed to raised in a family full of love.

"Let's go," said her uncle and he helped to push the trolley and guided them to the car park.

-------------------

"It is sad that our family has this fate. A long history of matchmakers," sighed aunt Yubin as they gathered at the dining room for tea.

"At least I waited for you," replied Jisoo's uncle, as he walked out of the kitchen with a tray of tea and snacks and made his way to sit next to his wife, after setting the tray down.

"You two are so sweet," teased Jisoo, as she placed the cookies on her elders' plates.

"Speaking about this, Jisoo had been asking me many questions while we were on the plane," said Mrs Kim. She then turned to her daughter and urged her to tell her aunt and uncle.

"Actually, it isn't much but... I was just wondering if it is really true that matchmakers like us can only see our own red thread only after 1000 couples?"

Jisoo just needed confirmation, not that she doubted the facts.

"Unfortunately, it is," replied her aunt. She took a sip of her tea, knowing where the conversation was going. She had been through this herself.

Jisoo sighed and that made her aunt ask, "do you have someone in mind?"

"Aniya, I was just wondering," Jisoo tried to clarify that she was just curious but the frantic waving of her hands had given that away. She can never hide it from the people who had cared for her since her birth.

Her uncle decided to ease the atmosphere and save Jisoo from the doubtful stares from her mother and aunt, "you know, I have gotten injured for far too long before her 1000th couple."

"Yah! Don't scare the young girl. Don't believe your uncle. I think it is just a myth," her aunt exclaimed and hit her uncle really hard on the arm. She was in disbelief of how her husband could bring this up, even as a joke. This would definitely cause the poor girl more worries.

"Your aunt made me stand really far away from her all the time," her uncle continued to tell the story while rubbing his arm to soothe the pain.

Everyone at the table laughed but Jisoo was starting to get worried, maybe she should stay away from Jennie too. She had seen how Jennie tripped and got injured yesterday while on their shopping date. After tea, all of them retired to their own rooms and soon, Jisoo received a phone call from the person she had been worrying about. She picked up the call and inhaled softly, to calm her heart.

"Hello," she could hear how excited Jennie was. "How is your trip? Enjoying your time at Guam?"

"Hey. Just dinner and some business talk with my mom, aunt and uncle. We are going out tomorrow, to the aquarium and the beach, for a picnic," replied Jisoo, as she looked out at the beautiful scenery from the balcony. The sight of the sea just outside of the house was calming her down even more.

"Sounds fun, don't fall for a local there," warned the raven head.

"Worried?" chucked the older. Who knew that the confident Jennie wasn't all that confident at all.

"Of course, you aren't mine yet," she replied with a shy voice.

Jisoo replayed the reply in her head and Jennie's accidents at the mall. Maybe the worries she had was really eating her up. Maybe she wouldn't and shouldn't be Jennie's. She might just cause the other girl harm.

"Jennie..." That was all Jisoo could utter. She didn't dare to tell Jennie the truth. Would anyone even believe such a thing? Red thread, superpower and all the myths and legends?

"Yes?" Jennie asked when she didn't hear much from the older other than her name.

"I was just wondering what you've been up to."

"Played games and went to the dog shelter today."

The redhead learnt something new about the younger today.

"Didn't know that you are that nice."

"You should join me sometime."

The thoughts then floated in her mind again and she panicked. She shouldn't meet Jennie again.

"I am tired, I will go take a nap first," said the older and she quickly hung up the phone.

"You should go and rest,” said the raven head and soon she could hear a beeping sound before she could say her goodbyes.