Choice

Love Works In Mysterious Ways

A/N: Hi all! Third update for the week, enjoy!

------------------

Jisoo looked at her phone, 10 unread messages and 3 missed calls from Jennie and another incoming call from her right before the flight back to Korea. The redhead switched off her phone.

"Who is that?" asked her mother, who was waiting by her side. Jisoo contemplated whether to tell her mother about it.

"Oh, it's Jennie, Aunt Jeanette's daughter." In the end, Jisoo decided to tell her mother about it.

"You two are close, she's calling you before your flight," said her mother, as the older Kim held onto her arm and walked towards the boarding gate.

She didn't want her mother to worry about her social life and decided to reassure her, "we are just really good friends."

------------------

After a 5 hour flight, the mother-daughter pair finally reached home. They had to undergo the usual series of custom checks. After getting their luggage, Mrs Kim saw someone that she didn't expect to see.

"Oh, isn't that Jennie?" asked Mrs Kim. She was very pleasantly surprised to see her daughter's friend at the airport and thought that Jisoo had asked her to drive them back, "did you ask her to drive us home?"

Jisoo was also surprised to see Jennie and their gaze locked from afar as the younger put her sunnies up on her head. Worry was evident on Jisoo's face and she tried to slow down her steps, in order to make time pass slower. Her heart just couldn't stop beating really quickly.

"Hi Mrs Kim, how was the trip? asked the raven head as the mother and daughter were standing in front of her.

"It's great and I am glad to see Jisoo relaxed. It has been hard on her for the past two months," said Mrs Kim as she looked at the two girls.

"That's good. Glad that both of you enjoyed the trip," said Jennie, as she moved Jisoo aside and pushed the trolley, guiding them to the car park. As they entered the car, Jennie told Mrs Kim that she will drive her home first before sending her daughter to her apartment since the mother and daughter stayed at different residences.

Jisoo panicked. She did not want to be in the car alone with the raven head and quickly informed her mother, "omma, I will stay at your place for today."

The ride back to Jisoo's parents' house wasn't that quiet but when they reached Mrs Kim's house, Jennie told the older Kim to go in first and rest while she and Jisoo will bring the baggage in. After Mrs Kim exited the car, Jennie quickly locked it and turned to face the redhead.

"What is it this time?" asked the raven head. She was pissed from the lack of contact. Was it because she did something wrong? She did give ample space to the older. She didn't understand why Jisoo went from being so comfortable with her to being distant. They weren't together yet but this was too much for her.

Jisoo was just looking at the dashboard, not wanting to look at Jennie, but she was obviously fidgeting from the question and tried really hard to avoid it, "what do you mean?"

"If you think blowing hot and cold with me is cool, you know what, I am done with all this. I just want a definite answer. Either a yes, you like me or no, you don't. One thing for sure is that it is a yes for me. I like you and I want to be with you. Let's put an end to it if you don't feel the same. It will probably be better for you, you wouldn't be too stressed out," said Jennie as she leant into her seat and sighed while pinching her nose bridge. She just couldn't understand why.

"Jennie... I have my reasons and I can't tell you now. Maybe later, when I get all these sorted out. It might take years or even decades. Maybe, it is best for you to just move on from this. Open the door and let me out. I will get the luggage myself," the redhead mustered all this courage to say all these words, though she didn't want to, it was for Jennie's safety. There was too much uncertainty in their future.

Jennie unlocked the car and Jisoo immediately went to the boot to get the luggage.

"I am not heartless. I may need some time to move on but please let's stay as friends?" Jennie told the redhead as she held onto the luggage that the latter was trying to pull out from the boot.

"Friends it is."

------------------

"Hey Jennie," said Irene, as she entered the cafe. The two were having breakfast together on a Wednesday morning as Jisoo had told the younger that she would go to work on her own. After the whole incident, Jennie didn't hesitate to give her even more space.

"Are you alright?" asked Irene, being worried for the younger girl who looked like she had not slept well for a while. She knew that Jennie went to pick Jisoo up from the airport yesterday and maybe things didn't go too well. Maybe everything is adding up.

"Irene, I have something to say," the raven head adjusted her posture and looked straight into the latter's eyes. This was it. She wanted to confess everything. Maybe Jisoo was hesitant to be with her because of her relationship with Irene. Maybe Jisoo didn't trust her or maybe because... she didn't know anymore. She just wanted to make everything right, within her own limits.

The serious look made Irene force a chuckle and decided to lighten the atmosphere, "you look rather serious." Irene was always ready for the talk, ever since she saw how the younger treated the matchmaker rather differently. Almost too differently.

"I am sorry. You are a great person. You are nice but I don't like you romantically. You are a great friend though but I just can't bring myself to like you. I am sorry," said the younger, as she held onto Irene's hands.

"It's Jisoo right?" asked the older. She knew the answer but she decided to ask. It may be better if everything came from Jennie. It might be even easier to move on from this one-sided relationship. Instead of an answer, it was just silence and the younger released her hold on her hands.

Being wiser definitely has its benefits. Irene wasn't all that hurt. Jennie and Jisoo looked compatible and they were obviously in love with one another. She would definitely wish them the best in their relationship.

"I knew it from the start. It has been two months and we are still not together. I concluded that you like someone else. Don't worry, we will still be friends. You will make it up to me forever."

"I will be your friend forever," said Jennie, trying to smile, so as to not make things even awkward.

Irene returned the gesture with a bright smile and said, "tell me what is going on, maybe I can help. I am not an expert but I definitely give good advice."

"We were doing fine but after a few days, she became so distant. It's confusing. I don't know what I did wrong."

"There is no right or wrong in a relationship, Jennie. For a relationship to work, both must compromise but one can't over compromise. There should be a balance. What you two are lacking is communication. I have a feeling that she is hiding something from you, in order to protect you. I don't know how much she trusts you but all you need to do is to give her time. I know that she will come around and tell you soon. Don't give her too much pressure."

Irene's advice made sense and something clicked in Jennie.

------------------

"Unnie!" A blondie was walking towards Jisoo with a huge smile. She had not seen her unnie around after a long time, especially when the older started working at the office for her matchmaking job. It did not make much sense but it was her Jisoo unnie. With her 4D personality, it wasn't too unexpected that she would come up with such an idea.

"Chaeyoung, how are you and Lisa doing?" asked the matchmaker as she hugged her dongsaeng. She missed being around with her friends. She had indeed been spending too much time with Jennie.

"We are doing great, thank you for matchmaking us when we were on our holiday," said Chaeyoung with a sweet smile, while thinking of her lover, Lisa.

"You are my favourite dongsaeng. I am not wrong, right? The red thread," grinned the older. She really missed being on the field at her matchmaking job. She remembered seeing the red thread between her tour guide and her dongsaeng when they were in Thailand for a holiday 3 years ago.

"I couldn't believe it but it all adds up since we got together."

It took the younger a while to believe what Jisoo said but she believed eventually, with her own fate with Lisa. However, she did not understand why her unnie's love life was rather tragic. A twisted fate. She matches people up for a living but her unnie was still single, "unnie, I don't get it. You are the matchmaker but your love life... it isn't going too well."

Jisoo sighed and told the younger, "I met someone, two months ago..."

Chaeyoung laughed, suddenly remembering the text that Jisoo had sent her about a month ago and yesterday, about how her client was always flirting with her and the myth. "The one you told me about? The aggressive one?"

"Not to that extent, maybe straightforward? But you do know my fate, right? And the myth. Ultimately, I just need to focus and match 1000 couples," Jisoo told the younger and anyone could see the burden on the matchmaker's shoulders.

"How many are you at now?" asked the younger.

"Don't remind me, I am not even halfway there. It seemed like she may get hurt if I am near her, before I hit the magic 1000," The older began to sink into her cushioned seat. She wanted to disappear from the face of the earth than to live alone and potentially causing any indirect physical harm to Jennie.

"At this rate, I think you shouldn't believe such a myth. It is still a myth anyways," said the blondie, as she took a sip of Jisoo's coffee.

"I can't take such risk..." the older shook her head.

"Unnie, she is fine and she will always be. Be brave and take the first step," said the blonde and gave her unnie a warm hug and a wink.

------------------

After a long day at work, she continued working overtime to avoid Jisoo at the lift or the lobby, she was finally off work. On the way home, she drove past Jisoo's apartment complex. Maybe she could take a peek. She got out of her car after parking it and walked to the playground. She sat on the swing and looked up to Jisoo's balcony.

"The lights are on, she must be at home," Jennie thought to herself and looked around the residential area.

"It is peaceful and quiet, huh? Are you happy? Are you thinking about me? I am definitely thinking of you," Jennie continued to wonder. She then took out her phone and her finger moved, clicking on the KKT app and found Jisoo's chat, finger hovering over the call icon. Unknowingly, she clicked on it. Jennie was surprised to hear Jisoo's voice coming out from the speaker but regained her composure and answered the call.

"Hey, Jisoo. Can we talk?" asked the raven head, while looking at the balcony.

There was a moment of silence and finally, Jisoo responded, "sure."

"I am at the playground, next to your apartment complex."

"I will come down. Wait for me."

"Of course."

------------------

"What do you want to talk about?" asked Jisoo, as she sat on the swing, next to the younger. Even with a bare face and pyjamas on, the older looked stunning under the moonlight.

"About us," said Jennie, as she kicked on invisible rocks on the ground, while swinging herself lightly, waiting for Jisoo's response.

Jennie then continued when there wasn't anything from Jisoo, "tell me about it. Whatever you are trying to hide from me."

"What?" asked the older, as she looked up from the ground, looking at Jennie.

"That superpower of yours. Whatever that you are. The red thread, the matchmaking, the fear of not finding your true love," replied Jennie, as she stood up and knelt in front of Jisoo on one knee, holding onto the older's hands, "you've mentioned it during the night when you were drunk. I don't know if it is a secret but please, let me know. I already know part of it and whatever it is, I will stay by your side. Whether you let me, or not."

Jisoo told everything, from her family history of matchmakers to setting up a family business, to the mission of matchmakers and she brought up about the possibility of Jennie being hurt. That made the redhead really worried but even with such close distance between her and the raven head, she needed the slight intimacy. She missed it and ironically, it brought her ease and comfort at this moment.

"I am not worried. Look at me... I am fine," replied Jennie, as she cupped the older's face. She could see that the latter's eyes were starting to brim with tears.

Jisoo gulped. Maybe her matchmaking fate was just playing with her. The love of her life was fine and maybe, she will always be. It's time to be brave.

"I like you too."

------------------

A/N pt 2: Are they finally on the same page? O.O Hope that you all enjoyed this and hopefully the recent updates managed to piece up everything nicely ^_^||| Happy Sunday and rest well for a new week!