Acceptance

Love Works In Mysterious Ways

A/N: Hello! Thank you for waiting for this new story. This is the first chapter. If you have read my other Jensoo fanfic, 'My Favourite Idol', it will be slightly different. I am looking into a light-hearted romance fiction for this, maybe with a splash of fantasy and comedy for this one. Hope that this will be easy and fun to read. Do comment and/or upvote if you like it ( being shameless here haha, anyways no pressure :) )

 

I will update every 2 weeks (no guarantee but I will try my best).

 

Enjoy! ^.^ <3 

----------------

 

Our protagonist, Jennie Kim, is an investment consultant at Global Investment Inc. She's 27 this year and her hobby is going for matchmaking sessions. Just joking, it is her mother's favourite hobby. She had tried to escape from such events but her mother will take extreme measures to ensure that her only daughter turns up, for example, going to her office and applying for an immediate leave. No one in Jennie's company could say no to Mrs Kim when it comes to matchmaking and it is the topic that Jennie get teased about within her department. Her parents are constantly worried that their only daughter would be alone for the rest of her life but what Jennie feels is that there is no point in meddling in destiny because her core philosophy is 'it will come when it comes'. Today, it is Jennie's day off and guess what, Mrs Kim had booked her afternoon for lunch. Not just any lunch but lunch with her friend and her daughter.

 

Jennie first went to the gym to work out before heading back home to shower and change.

 

"Jennie, are you ready?" her mother shouted from where she was.

 

"Yes, mom," said Jennie as she walked out of her room, wearing a simple white tee and jeans. Mrs Kim just gave her a disapproving look and rummaged through Jennie's closet. She threw a jacket at her daughter, almost hitting the latter in the face if it wasn't for Jennie's perfect catch.

 

"Yah! You know that we are meeting someone right? Be presentable!" her mother nagged at the poor girl. Jennie guessed that it must be some rich family's kid but she wanted to wear this outfit as it is on-trend.

 

"This is fashion, mom!" rebutted Jennie. All she wanted to say was bottled in her poor little heart.

 

Her mother helped her to put on her jacket to stop the younger Kim from complaining.

 

"Mom, presentable doesn't mean fancy," whined the young lady as she put on her sunnies.

 

After checking herself in the mirror, Jennie got to admit that her mother actually has a good taste. She looked at the mirror one last time before walking down to the garage.

 

On the way to the lunch venue, Mrs Kim directed her to a posh restaurant.

 

"Yep, a rich kid, most probably the kid of one of her mahjong friends. I wish something would happen to me now, be it something hitting me on the head or a call from work. Please God, make it happen," Jennie thought to herself and groaned internally.

 

As the mother-daughter pair entered the restaurant, the waiter guided them to the table booked under Mrs Kim Eunbin. All that is on Jennie's mind was wanting to run away. On the way to the table, she saw someone with striking red hair. She was startled by the bold choice of hair colour but the person looked like a really fine lady. She had really prominent Korean features minus the small eyes and mono eyelid. Is destiny knocking at her door?

 

"She has really pretty eyes. They are big and oh, turns out she has double eyelid, which makes her eyes even bigger," our dear Jennie thought to herself as she was mesmerised by the dark orbs and lost in the other person's gaze. She then scanned the other person to observe other features. To Jennie, the girl is perfect, the perfect height, curves at the right areas and a cute nose. She was really pretty, but this does not mean that it is a yes. She will never bow down to arranged matchmaking. As usual, Jennie believes that it will come when it comes.

 

"Hello, Eunbin! This must be your daughter, she is stunning." Mrs Kim, as usual, complimented the child of her friend.

 

"Your daughter is gorgeous too. What is her name?" asked Mrs Kim Eunbin as she looked at Jennie.

 

The latter shivered slightly. It was a familiar look, where the older woman looked at her as if she is a very compatible partner for her daughter. She tried to distract herself by looking at the redhead, who was the same age as her and turned out that she is sitting beside Mrs Kim Eunbin. She tried to signal to the other, telling the redhead to save her but all she got was a shrug. This time Jennie tried again and mouthed, "help me."

 

All Jennie got was a silent giggle and she puffed up her cheeks, giving up at any attempt to resist the matchmaking session. She could feel a nudge on her left side of the ribs and on cue, she introduced herself and shook both of the ladies' hands. She swore that she had been to such venues a million times and her body would know what to do with any non-verbal cues that her mother threw at her. After the introduction, Aunt Eunbin then introduced her daughter, Jisoo.

 

"The steak here is good. Would you like to get one?" Jisoo asked while looking through the menu.

 

"I am a vegan," lied Jennie, hoping to lose some points on this blind date.

 

"Wow, you will be one of my challenging clients. It will be hard to matchmake you with someone." said the redhead.

 

"What? Matchmake? Aren't you my match today?" exclaimed Jennie, rather loudly. She was so shocked that her jaw could fit an entire steak in .

 

"My daughter is a matchmaker. Anyways, my daughter is attached," said Aunt Eunbin, chuckling at the reaction.

 

"Are you sure that you are a matchmaker? You look young," remarked Jennie, as she doubted the other lady's credibility. What she knew from TV was that matchmakers are usually older women, dressed in a traditional ethnic costume.

 

"Of course, I am the super matchmaker. Don't you know that my success rate is 99.9%?" Jisoo beamed and flaunted her success rate.

 

"99.9%, cocky much," The other lady thought to herself and almost rolled her eyes.

 

"Since you always reject the matches that I set you up with, of course, I will bring you to a real matchmaker to find your mate. Jisoo dear, don't listen to my daughter, she loves meat. She can never be a vegan." Jennie's mother hit her on the head and all Jennie could do was to hold the pain in. She can't seem weak after embarrassing herself badly.

 

Lunch actually went pretty well with the stories that Jisoo shared, but it kind of got on Jennie's nerve from the 3 women on the table asking her about her preferences. It was a long Q&A segment. Palm and face readings were also done, albeit unwillingly.

 

"Interesting case here. You are destined to be tied down with work and marry at a later age. But it's ok. we can work on it by introducing you people that fit your criteria. Anyways, if everything goes well, a red thread can be formed almost instantly." The matchmaker is very passionate in her job.

 

Now, Jennie was really amused though and thought that the idea of red thread was rather cliche.

 

After the meal, Jennie drove the mother and daughter home, before driving Mrs Kim to shop at her favourite mall downtown.

 

-At Night-

 

As Jennie was laying down on bed thinking about her day, the beautiful yet interesting matchmaker filled her head. She laughed silently when she recalled about the red thread. Then something else hit her and she sighed.

 

"Does destiny not exist?"