nine

Can't you see the foolish me? I'm right next to you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They say when eating good food, you remember your family.

But Lee Chaeyeon would admit that once the succulent steak enters , she was reminded of Hyewon.

She wants to go home.

To cook for her. To watch her eat. To watch her favorite show with her. To cuddle with her.

It's been days since they watch Trolls World Tour... the day they both admit their feelings for each other. It was a whiplash, suddenly gushing to them in an instant.

"Be my girlfriend."

A statement not a question. But the aspiring five-star chef find the three words irrelevant, completely unnecessary. They are engaged.. they are soon to be married.

Chaeyeon's thoughts were stopped though, when Hyewon explains her reason. The girl smiled at her widely with twinkling eyes, in an intense gaze that made her knees wobble.

"I want us to have a reboot. To have a fresh start with this relationship."

A spoonful of soysauce marinated abalone entered . If Hyewon was with her, the lady would gobble down the food. It's a taste that suits the girl's palate.

She got invited by her former high school teacher to judge the learners innovative products. Chaeyeon expected to see a variety of things but got disappointed when the learners doesn't think outside the box. It mostly comprises of desserts and sweets that she got dizzy. Mercifully, the subject teacher provided a nice dinner for them. 

As she cuts the steamed blue king crab, her mind goes back to Hyewon. There is basically an amount of changes in the way the girl talks to others. At first, Hyewon would never run out of nicknames, but now, they would call them with their last names. She would also glare at anyone but now she would look at them with kind eyes. 

It caused a shock to everyone especially the council members whose always with her. Sometimes, Chaewon looks at her differently. A curious gaze, a regard that gives the impression that she knows something. She shudders at the thought, "Are we obvious?"

After a few pleasantries here and there and she's ready to go. She decided to drop in at her favorite japanese restaurant to order takoyaki for Hyewon. The girl almost strangled her neck when she indeliberately admit that she has been sneakily eating her food. Whey they are not still on good terms, it is her way on getting back with Hyewon. And maybe the girl was right... she was really childish. 

The ride back home was smooth. She was excited to see Hyewon. Like someone is after her, she ran on the hallway and quckly press the code. But, she finds something odd. The lights in the living room was turned off. It was not Hyewon's character to leave the area dark when she's at home. Chaeyeon immediately placed the take out at the kitchen table before going to Hyewon's room. She breathes out and twist the knob, only finding the room empty. 

Chaeyeon paused to think. After a span of minutes, she immediately ran to Hyewon's home office. It was unnecessary but she feels something is not right. She think of positive thoughts, maybe Hyewon fall asleep on her desk because of overworking again. Maybe she got too many papers to sign. 

But she was wrong. The usually clean and organized room was now a mess. Papers are scattered everywhere. Hyewon's laptop was on the floor with a broken screen. And the innocent vases are standing there with cracks. 

She found Hyewon on the farthest corner of the room. The girl was sitting on the floor, her body shaking with apprehension. Chaeyeon wants to cry, It was the first time she saw the mighty Hyewon like this. The girls eyes and nose are red, maybe from too much crying. She immediately engulfed the girl in a hug. Hyewon moves her face on her neck and cried again. She softly caress her hair and pat her back. 

Chaeyeon hummed, it was the only way she knows to calm down her girlfriend. She never wanted to see Hyewon like this, it also breaks her heart that someone like her would be hurt like this. When the girl stops sobbing, she tightened her hug more. "Is there something wrong, honey?" Hyewon pulled out from the hug and heavily sighs. She disheveled her hair with her right hand, a sign that she was frustrated. "If you are not ready to talk, it's okay."

Complete silence. They are just sitting on the floor with Hyewon staring into space. Both, don't mind the messy place. 

"Have you ever feel that you are not enough, Chaeyeon?"

The question caught her off guard. It was sudden. Chaeyeon tried to think but she doesn't know how to answer. She don't know the answer. But it was never meant to be answered anyway, it was a question for Hyewon, herself. 

"My father called me." Right. Mr. Kang. Chaeyeon doesn't really know anything about Hyewon's father. When they first met, Mr. Kang was not around and her mother told her not to ask. 

"When I was seven, Father promised me that I will inherit the company. I was the only one who got the same passion and hobbies as him. Well, Jihyun-unnie and Dongho-oppa clearly doesn't show the interest that time." Chaeyeon remained silent, it was the first time that Hyewon opens up so she won't interrupt her. "I was really happy. It was like a piece of my father would be given to me. I respect him so much you know. He was my role model."

Hyewon's eyes are bright while mentioning that but it become void of emotion when she continued her story. "It was my tenth birthday (three years before she met Chaeyeon), I was waiting for him to come home with my birthday cake. But he never go home. Later that night, I saw my Mom yelling at her phone 'cheater.'

The girl looked at her deeply in the eyes. "And then, you know what happen. His company was not transferred to me. It was given to her other daughter. That day, I promised myself that I will have my own gaming company and surpassed his achievements. And I finally did! I was happy... or so I thought"

"Chaeyeon, I don't know what to do. Minjoo... she... she called me to ask for help saving their company that wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter