A Single Petal

Undeniable petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What is this?

 

SinB really had no idea what in the world is going on.

 

Staring at the singular yellow petal that had just landed on her hand. She felt her head spin in confusion at the very sight.

 

Did this come from me?

 

It had appeared right after her coughing fit.

 

Right after she chocked into her palm.

 

She had been having these coughing fits for some time now.

 

But just why in the world had a flower petal come out of ?

 

Is this normal?


Who was SinB trying to kid?


Of course it's not normal. 

 

Who had even heard of coughing out flower petals before?


Her stomach wasn't a garden. It was crazy she had even tried to reason with herself that this is a common bodily occurance.

 

But when placed into unbelievable situation, perhaps out of desperation, people will tend to find themselves making excuses for unnatural situations, reasoning and explaining otherwise unexplanable phenomonons with as much logic as possible to justify its existence.

 

Maybe some flower petal got into my food earlier

 

Was what SinB concluded in the end.

 

With university exams taking over her mind now, she really didn't want to think of this matter any more than she should.

 

It was just a single petal anyway.

 

There is no harm.

 

Right?


Coughing a couple more times before suppressing the urge with a big glass a water.

 

SinB puts her head back down again onto the mock papers in front of her.

 

Damnit, I really need to get this cough checked out soon.

 

 

✽✾✿❀❁

 

 

"SinB!"

 

She felt her whole body froze at the sound of that voice calling out her name.

 

She knew exactly who was calling her, she would recognise that voice anywhere.


The mere thought of that person sends a surge of warmth to her cheeks and quickens the beat of her heart.


"Sojung" It's strange isn't it? How someone has the power to make her body react in such an inexplicable manner, beyond even SinB's own understanding. Saying her crush's name in response, SinB had to force herself to turn around in a way that she hoped wouldn't look too robotic. 

 

Suddenly, with Sojung's arrival, SinB became acutely self-conscious.

 

Am I turning too awkwardly?

 

Don't stare too long at her.

 

Don't say anything stupid.

 

Try and look cool!

 

Those thoughts would instantly flood her mind, whenever the older girl was around, persisting even though months had passed since they first became friends.

 

Sojung must truly be that person.

 

But admist her inner battle with herself, she can't help but feel an ease of excitement at the same time.

 

Sojung was calling out to her and lord did that make her happy.

 

She made her feel self-consious but in a good way.

 

As if being in this position today with Sojung made SinB feel like she had made an immense accomplishment. 

 

"Finally caught up to you" Sojung said, catching up "You're a fast walker." She reached the shorter woman and casually wrapped her arm around SinB's shoulder. This simple gesture worked wonders in causing SinB's already rapidly beating heart to ramp up ever so slightly.

 

"With those long legs, I wouldn't complain," came the reply, earning her a playful nudge on the shoulder from Sojung.

 

Laughter ensued as they continued their stroll together.

 

This shouldn't come as a surprise any longer, but SinB and Sojung had undeniably grown closer in the past few months.

 

 

In simple terms, their actions mirror those of close friends.

 

They grab coffee before class, meet up for meals after class, even occassionally indulge in late-night snacks together on very a spontaneous basis.

 

It's entirely normal, the expected behavior among friends

 

So perhaps SinB might even feel a slight twinge of guilt admitting this, but the truth is, she absolutely did not harbor any reservations about these commonplace occurrences between friends when it came to Sojung.

 

No... she saw it as something more...

 

Something beyond the usual dynamics of friendship. 

 

Something that has evolved into a special place in SinB's fun.

 

It's something she looks forward to more than friends, because Sojung is the person she would choose to participate these activities with over everyone else.

 

Somehow within those few months... despite SinB's initial crush on the older... Sojung managed to become the centre of SinB's world.. and the younger woman would always find herself endlessly orbiting back for more...

 

Yet despite understanding these feelings... Despite the other woman living rent-free in SinB's mind basically 24/7... she could never bring herself to confess to Sojung.

 

Because along with those deep emotions.. came another... painted in deep blue.

 

Fear

 

The fear of losing it all with her.

 

Even the friendship aspect...

 

It gets difficult too. 

 

Having your heart fall deeper but needing to push away those feelings even more because of it.

 

It all comes back to an unexplaining yet petruding feeling in her chest that seems to grow each day the more she couldn't have Sojung.

 

I must be the most selfish person in the world...

 

"Would you like to grab some BBQ tonight?" Sojung asked as they continued walking through campus.

 

"Of course"

 

"Awesome! Eunha and I were talking about this new place down the street, she wanted to try, and I know you two have similar tastes, so I thought we should all go together"


Oh


That right, Eunha.

 

She was in the picture too of course.

 

Being SinB's closest friend since childhood, Eunha took up the responsibility of pushing SinB towards Sojung... trying to setup whatever occassion she could so they could see each other.

 

In retrospect, the shorter woman's plan worked out just fine.

 

As Eunha was the one to take initiate to set up most of their hangouts in the beginning, as a means place SinB in the same vicinity as her crush, the pink haired woman had to also join those events as well, taking away the few times she conveniently announced that she "wasn't feeling well" last minute so SinB and Sojung could have some more alone time.

 

It was no wonder that Eunha and Sojung had also developed a close friendship too. It was only natural afterall.. 

 

So why is it... despite knowing the friendly nature of their relationship... A small unpleasant feeling begins to develop within the compounds of her inner chest.

 

Had this feeling always been there?

 

No...

 

It definitely hasn't..

 

Eunha and Sojung had become friends, what they do as friend is none of SinB's business.

 

Especially since... she herself was just another friend..

 

And as someone who had always respected people's friendship and relationships.

 

It was not her to pry or put further thought onto such matters.

 

She trusted Eunha after all.

 

The latter had always given SinB unconditional support in which SinB had been nothing but grateful for.

 

heck she still had yet to properly thank her childhood friend for fundementally being the cause for her and Sojung's current relationship.


 

This feeling was definitely something else.. there is no doubt about it.

 

But why does it continue to brew in her chest? 


And why is it getting worse by the second?


"I was also thinking after, we can get some frozen yogurt if you girls were dow- Hey- Are you alright?" Sojung stopped in her tracks and begins checking up on the other woman in concern.

 

 

SinB was coughing up a storm, choking even... as if her body had a mind of its own. She could feel Sojung rubbing her back tentatively as she continued to essentially choke on air. But this supposed comforting gesture only seemed to exacerbate the choking even more... persisting for a good few minutes until she finally felt clear up.

 

Looking down at the palm of her hand however, she felt mouth go dry as she saw the very item that had landed on it.

 

A single petal.

 

A yellow one again.

 

 

Quickly rolling her hand into a fist to conceal the petal before the taller of the two could see, SinB promptly excused herself, citing that she didn't feel well and needed to rush back to her dorm room's bathroom.

 

Sojung had offered to accompany her, expressing concern an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter