Thank you

You're My Sun

 

“I don’t want to say this, but I told you she’s not gonna listen.” Byul sighs and nods. She knew exactly that her girlfriend was pointing out the obvious, but she’s just tired. Noticing how her girlfriend kept sighing, Yongsun felt guilty.

“Byul I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scold you...I just hope you would think it through before executing your plan. I’m just worried. Sorry.” Byul shook her head.

“Nah, it’s actually okay. I’m just a bit tired. I didn’t expect her mother would burst out like that.” Byul said, remembering how things played out before. “I hope I didn’t make things worse though. I don’t want Sunmi to get in trouble because of me.”

“Me too. Anyway, gotta go Byul. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Alright, love you.”

“Love you too.” Yongsun said before hanging up. She can’t help but think how things are going to play out tomorrow.

Let’s just hope things’ll be fine.

//

“Alright so you actually confront her parents? What’s their reaction unnie?”

“Well the point is her mother was angry. I just hope she doesn't vent it out on Sunmi. Anyway, let’s go? I wanna go home.”

“Ah sorry unnie, Wheein and I have club activities today, so we’re off first, okay?” Hyejin said before dragging her friend away to their club room.

“I’m free. Wanna visit the cafe?”

“Can we get ice cream?” Yongsun nodded and she held Byul’s hand and head out. They’re at the gate when they hear someone calling out her name.

“Yah Byulyi!” Krystal shouted while running towards her.

“What happened?” Byul looks at her panting friend, wondering why she’s rushing like that.

“They...they’re…”

“Catch your breath first will you?” Yongsun snarls at her.

“Sunmi’s parents! They’re waiting for you…”

“What…” Byul exchanges looks with Yongsun and she’s not gonna lie, but it’s kinda scary. “Why? She chased me away yesterday.”

“Yesterday? What did you do yesterday?” Krystal wondered and Byul let out a small laugh.

“You see...I…” Byul explained what she did yesterday and Krystal was dumbfounded.

“I...I didn’t expect that, I mean, I know you’re stupid, but I didn’t know it would get this far.”

“Hey! Anyway, they’re at the gate?” Krystal nodded and Byul thinks it’s better to meet them, maybe they have something good to say? Or maybe not

The three headed to the gate and Byul could feel her palm was wet. Sweat was all over her body as she felt nervous.

“There they are.” Krystal whispered to Byul and Byul swallowed heavily. She continues her steps and sees Sunmi’s there with her parents.

“Uh, hello Mr and Ms.Lee.” Byul bowed her head down and lifted herself up again.

“Hello Ms.Moon. I am intrigued to have a little chat with you, but I suppose this isn’t the right place to chat. Shall we move to the nearest cafe?” Byul only nodded and they left.

//

After ordering some drinks, the table was silent. Byul kept tapping her fingers on her thighs, hoping her nervousness would go away. It must be about yesterday, but what is she supposed to do?

Unable to cope with the silence anymore, Byul decided to start the conversation.

“Uh, Mr. and Ms.Lee, is there something you want to talk about?”

“Well of course dear, otherwise we wouldn’t be here, don’t you think?”

Well, it makes sense. Byul tried her best not to roll her eyes from annoyance. She’s like trapped in the lion’s den. One wrong move and things will get worse.

The waiter finally comes with their drinks and he places them on the table. Byul nervously sip her strawberry frappe while her eyes never leaving the adults in front of her.

“Alright, first of all…” Byul gulped nervously, hoping she wouldn’t choke on her drink and embarrassed herself in front of Sunmi’s parents. “I wanted to thank you.” Those words almost make her spit, ALMOST.

What the heck? Thank you? Is this some kind of sick joke? Byul couldn’t hide her shocked expression and Mr.Lee laughed upon seeing it.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I understand your words. Can you...please explain?”

“It’s exactly as I said. Thank you.” Byul is puzzled. She didn’t know what to say and noticing her confused face, Mr.Lee explained to her.

 

Flashback

 

“Hello dear.”

“Hello.” Mr.Lee greeted back and planted a kiss on her cheeks. “Where’s Sunmi?”

“She’s in her room, but more importantly, I have some other matter to discuss with you.” Ms.Lee dragged her husband to the table as they started talking.

“You see, Sunmi’s been acting strange. I know she doesn’t talk much, but the fact she’s talking a lot less is worrying me a little.”

“Hmm, I don’t know, maybe we should talk to her about it?” Ms.Lee nodded and she told her maid to call Sunmi.

Sunmi felt grateful that Byul would stand up for her, but she shouldn’t have. She just makes things worse. When her mother called her, she just sigh, feeling tired from all the she had to put up with.

She approached her parents and sat across them. It’s like she’s being judged (again) by her parents. They would only talk to her on important matters, like when she didn’t get a perfect mark, or when her parents decided something for her. They never had a real quality time, or at least that’s what Sunmi felt.

“Sunmi, I would like to ask you. Are you okay? You’ve been awfully quiet these days.” Sunmi just gave a weak nod as she fake a smile.

“Yes father, I’m fine.”

“I see.” Sunmi knew he didn’t actually mean to ask that. It’s just to show politeness, nothing more. It’s just meaningless words that he utters. A tear threatened to escape her eyes as she tried her best not to break in front of her parents.

“We’re going to move next week, you know that right?” Sunmi nodded. “And what do you think?”

“Huh?”

“What do you think about it? Do you agree?” Sunmi jaws almost drop at that moment. She wanted to say she disagreed but she’s afraid of her parents' reaction.

“I, uh, of course I agree! Why wouldn’t I?” An awkward silence filled the air and she remembered what Byul said to her mother. “Is it because of Byul’s words?”

“No sweetie,” Her mother shook her head. “We, I, I realized I’m being selfish to you. The whole evening, I kept thinking about how I decided things, almost everything for you, thinking that I know what’s best for you. I’m so sorry dear, I should’ve asked your opinion. I’m sorry for being selfish this whole time dear.”

“Your mother’s right. I’m sorry too for never considering your opinion when we decide on something. I’m so sorry dear, please forgive us.”

The words filled with sincerity was enough to break the girl into tears. Her parents were surprised at first because she never cried in front of them. It was a really heartwarming event for both sides.

//

“I see, so you wanted to stay?” Sunmi nodded weakly, still afraid of her parents' responses. What if they change their mind?

“We could arrange that.” Sunmi’s eyes brimmed with happiness. She felt butterflies in her stomach. She never thought Byul’s action would cause a huge difference. She gets to stay and the best part, she didn’t have to put up a mask anymore. She can be her, the real her.

“Thank you mother! Father! I’m really grateful for this!”

“Of course, dear, but on one condition. Be honest with us. We’ll try our best to be a good parent too, okay dear?”

“Yeah!”

 

Flashback ends

 

Byul to be honest, couldn’t believe her ears. She never thought her stupid suicidal (probably not suicidal but still, throwing herself into the lion’s den should count) act would change Sunmi’s life. She’s really grateful. The first thing she thought of is boasting, but of course that’s stupid.

“I’m glad things turned out well then, Mr. and Ms.Lee.”

“Yes, but I should thank you too. If it wasn’t because of your heroic act, our family would still stay the same. We would still be the bad parents we are.”

“Yes.” Ms.Lee continued. “Thank you so much, Ms.Moon, and sorry for raising my voice on you the other day.”

“It’s fine, I’m happy things turned out well for you.” And I’m glad Sunmi get’s to stay here.

Afterwards, they continue to chit chat a little, questions about Byul’s life too (and also asking for some parenting advice). The evening went in peace, and Mr. and Ms.Lee had to excuse themselves because of other things, for example, leaving Sunmi alone in the house and some business matters.

Byul decided to go home too until she spotted Krystal and Yongsun sitting on the aisle of the cafe. She decided to approach them, you know, a little surprise might be good. Though they’re probably here because of her.

“What are you two doing here?”

“What else? Waiting for you. Come on, let’s go home?” Byul just nodded and she told them she’ll tell everything later on the phone. She wanted to sleep right now, all the pressure had drained all the energy from her body.

//

Once Byul arrived home, she immediately showered and ate and headed to her bedroom. She just plopped to her bed, burying her face on the pillow.

I’m alive, Sunmi’s happy, and I guess it’s a good thing her parents accepted her for who she is? Why am I meddling into someone else’s family business anyway? Byul gave it a little thought, but she was glad she did. Even if she and Sunmi are on bad terms, she hoped the best for the girl.

Well, maybe I’m too kind for my own good, but at least my heart felt at peace. She thought as she slowly drifted off to sleep.

“Byul?” Junghwa knocked on her daughter’s door and upon hearing no response, she decided to peek inside. A smile formed on her face upon spotting her tired daughter sleeping peacefully. She enters the room and covers her with a blanket. Just before she leaves, Byul’s phone rings and the screen is lit up. Junghwa accidentally read the word ‘babe’ and got a bit confused.

Her curiosity got the better of her and she decided to read the message on the notification bar.

 

Yeba: Babe you’re asleep?

 

Yeba? Who is this? It’s a girl...maybe just a friend? Junghwa shrugs it off, but of course she’ll ask her daughter directly tomorrow.

//

“Morning mom.” Byul sits and starts eating her chicken porridge. It’s hard to eat it using chopsticks, so she decided to take a spoon from the utensil cupboard and started eating again.

“Byul, who is Yeba?” Byul drops her spoon immediately and stares at her.

“What?! Yeba, uh, she, uh, a classmate of mine.” Byul tried to come up with a lie but Junghwa easily saw through her lie.

“Oh, just a classmate? Really?”

“Yeah…”

“You should invite her for dinner sometimes, I’m very interested in meeting this ‘Yeba’ we’re talking about.” Byul nodded and wondered how she should tell her mom.

“Junghwa I’m late! Why didn’t you wake me up!” Tzuyu rushed downstairs while holding her officer cap and all dressed-up. Tzuyu started eating her porridge and stopped when Junghwa laughed out loud.

“Honey, did you forget that you have a day off?” Tzuyu stopped eating and she felt stupid at that moment.

“Heck yeah I forgot…” She continues to eat but this time, slowly, enjoying the flavor of her wife cooking. “And this tastes delicious!” Tzuyu said as she happily finished her food. Byul spaced out a lot and didn’t realize the time. She heads to school on her own, hoping she wouldn’t be late.

“Now then, a day off, only the two of us?” Tzuyu said, smirking. “Can you close the clinic just for a day, I want to spend the day with you.”

“Hmm, wanna cuddle after breakfast?”

“Whoa, you’re the best!” Tzuyu finished her breakfast and after they did the dishes, they just cuddled in their room and Tzuyu started talking about her day at work.

//

Alright, how am I supposed to tell yeba about this? Yeba, my parents invited you for dinner? That might be good, but why? How did she know about yeba anyway, I never mentioned that nickname to mom, so...how?

Once she arrives in the classroom, she can see Sunmi talking with Krystal and Yongsun eyes glued to her phone screen. She saw Sunmi all cheered up and it made her happy as well.

Well, she won’t be going anywhere for the meantime, and I have another problem right now. Well, her parents might be gay, but she’s still not sure how to tell them about her relationship with Yongsun. She just feels insecure because a lot of people disapprove LGBT.

“Hi yeba!” Byul slams her hand on Yongsun’s table, making the girl jump a bit.

“Yah! Don’t do that!” Yongsun pouted a little.

“Aww I’m sorry, but you look cute like that.”

“Anyway, you didn’t reply my message last night.” Byul gives her a confused look and Yongsun was sure she pressed the send button.

“What text?” Byul said as she took out her phone and noticed a notification. “Oh, I fell asleep right away yesterday. I felt so tired and I fell asleep once I lay down, sorry about that.”

“That’s so cute. I just wished I could see your sleeping face”

“Well, I think you could soon…” Yongsun raised an eyebrow at her statement.

“What do you mean, Byulyi?”

“Well, my mom invited you for dinner, might as well spend the night too if you want, but I think she knew about...us.”

“Oh”

“Oh? What the?! You know this is serious right? Arghhh I’m so damn nervous” Byul started tapping Yongsun desk due to her uncontrollable nervousness.

“Why? All we need to do is tell them, right? And it’s only for dinner, what could go wrong?”

“Everything”

“...That’s pessimistic”

“And you’re way too optimist”

“Let’s just tell them the truth. My parents already know about it so I’m fine with it. I mean, if we got married, we need approval from both sides, right?” Yongsun said while staring at the noisy students on her right. When she returns her gaze to Byul, the girl is blushing hard.

“What? Why are you blushing?” Byul looked away and started mumbling but Yongsun couldn’t hear it well.

“Can you speak up? I can’t hear you.”

“It’s just...you’re already talking about...marriage…” She covers her face with her hands and Yongsun, recalling her words, just realized and blushed like crazy too.

“I, uh, I mean, uh, argh dammit. You know what, I’ll come over this saturday, and you’re gonna teach me for the upcoming test, okay?” Byul smiled and she nodded, hoping saturday would come soon


Heya all, sorry for the late update. I'm trying my best to continue and I'm not abandoning my stories, so don't worry, I'll update as soon as i could

tell me your thoughts, would be nice to get some feedbacks