Should I ask her out?

You're My Sun

Yongsun stared in silence. She reaches out her hand and slowly caresses the taller girl back, trying to comfort her.

“Thank you Byul, but, I don’t need it.” Byul looked at her in disbelievement.

“What?” She raises an eyebrow, questioning Yongsun’s words.

“Look, I'm really grateful for what you did, but I don’t want it. If this is the cost, then I don’t want it. There must be some other way, I’m sure we can go through this together.” She held Byul’s hand and assured her she’s going to be fine. Byul apologized for not telling her about it. It would be better if she knew, isn’t it?

“It’s okay, you shouldn’t apologize. Come on, let’s go home.” Yongsun got up from her place and helped Byul up.

“I’ll drive you home if you want.” They were shocked and looked at the source. They totally forgot about Tiffany's presence in the room.

“Don’t tell me you forget I’m here *chuckles*. Anyway, I’ll drive you home. Wait a sec, okay?” She said before taking her phone to call someone. The two waited for Tiffany to end her call.

“By the way, I think I remember those girls were talking about you being gay, and if Sunmi is one herself, then why? Why did they insult you?”

“I...don’t know, but probably they’re just trying to spread bad rumours about me. You know, since some people are against it.” Yongsun can only nod at her words. She can’t help but wonder, did they don’t know about Sunmi’s ual orientation? Or they’re actually just trying to get on her bad side? Yongsun can’t help but wonder what actually happens with them all.

“Yes, she’s in the infirmary. Alright, see you.” Tiffany ended the call and started a conversation to lighten the mood.

“So, you two are dating or what?” The two look away, trying to hide their redden faces.

“Umm, no?”

“You sure? You two look cute together you know.” At this point, Yongsun felt her face turning into a ripe tomato.

“I think I left something in the classroom.” She said before running away. Byul gulped.

Now I know how it feels to be trapped

“So? You gonna ask her out?”

“Uhh, no, I, uhh,”

“If you don’t hurry, someone might steal her from you~” Tiffany said it in a playful tone, but Byul realized the truth behind her words.

The door opens

“Hi! So you’re the kid who needed my help?” A blonde man walks in.

“Hi honey.” Tiffany said before approaching Taeyeon and gave her a light kiss on his lips. Byul was dumbfounded. Taeyeon is her boyfriend? Now that’s shocking. Tiffany laughs when she sees her shocked face. It was priceless.

“You said there’s two, where’s-” Just then, Yongsun entered the room.

“Umm, did I miss anything?”

“Nope, let’s go!” Taeyeon said before he approached Byul and carried her on his back.

//

Tiffany walks in front with Yongsun and the two look really happy and excited talking to each other. Byul looks from behind and smiles. She’s just glad to see Yongsun’s back to her cheerful self. Taeyeon notices her stare, it’s not just some friendly stare. It’s something more than that.

“So? When will you ask her out?” Byul groans at the question.

And now I’m stuck, again.

“Miss Tiffany just asked me. She’s just a friend, nothing more.” Byul tried to shrug off the question.

“Well, Tiff and I used to be friends too, until we realized our feelings.”

“...” Taeyeon notices she’s not gonna reply and lets out a small sigh.

“Well, you made the decision, so I can’t force you, but I think you should confess. She’s pretty you know, what if someone stole her?”

“Miss Tiffany also said that. I’m just afraid, I mean, what if it’s only me? What if it’s not reciprocated? I, I don’t want to lose my friend…” Taeyeon smiles, knowing perfectly well how he feels. He used to think like that too, he thought it’s just him. He chuckles.

“I used to think like that too, but I trust her, I know a simple problem wouldn’t ruin our friendship. I know it’s more complicated since you’re both girls, but I support you.” He gives a warm smile, making Byul feel comfortable. They continued walking until they reached the parking lot and they entered Tiffany’s car.

“Alright, see you tomorrow! Go get her!” He whispered to Byul before leaving.

“He’s not coming?”

“No, I just ask him to carry you here. He still has some things to do.” Tiffany said before driving her car towards Byul’s house. The ride was silent. They two barely even look at each other. Byul (finally) decides to break the silence.

“Hey uh, thanks for listening to my story. I, I’m really grateful for it.” Byul said but she avoided Yongsun's eyes. It made her mind blank. Yongsun smiles seeing her shy side. It’s kinda rare to see her like this.

“It’s okay. If anything’s troubling you, just give me a call, okay? I’m sure we can talk it out.”

“Yeah, about that…” Byul's hand extended and touched Yongsun’s hand. Yongsun didn’t understand but thought the girl needed some comfort so she squeezed the girl’s hand gently and smiled.

“Uh, truth is, I wanted to talk to you about something, but I don’t think now’s the right time. I’ll call you later, probably around 8 pm.” Yongsun nodded and the rest of the ride was silent again. Tiffany focused on the road so she didn’t engage any conversation, but she did notice the two girls holding hands on her car.

Aww, cute. She smiled a little before returning her focus.

//

They finally arrive at Byul’s house.

Byul knows her parents aren’t home yet, so she told Tiffany she’s alone and after helping her get inside, Tiffany leaves her on her own since she still needs to drive Yongsun to her house. After the two bid farewell, Tiffany closed the door, leaving Byul on the couch. She’s a bit exhausted and decided to take a small nap on the couch. She couldn’t help but think about Yongsun.

Should I confess to her?

//

“Thank you for driving me home.” Yongsun said while bowing her head.

“It’s fine. Anyway, rest up! Don’t forget your homework!” Tiffany said before driving away from Yongsun’s house.

She’s very sweet. Her and Taeyeon are a perfect match! She thought before going inside her house.

“Hi honey! How’s school?” Her mother was kinda confused, especially seeing her so happy. It’s just rare to see Yongsun humming and smiling like an idiot at home.

“I’m just happy to see you again!” Yongsun said while running towards her mother, giving her a big hug. It’s quite rare to see her mother at home. She’s usually working overseas and her father’s no better. He’s a businessman and he’s been dealing with a lot of projects lately, so he spent less time with his daughter.

“So, anything exciting happened at school? Any new friends you want to introduce? Or possibly, boyfriend?” She said in a joking tone. Yongsun fakes a frown and answers playfully, having the best time with her mother.

“Let’s eat first, then you’ll have to tell me everything.” Her mother said excitedly. Not gonna lie, but Yongsun also feels excited. She wanted some family time, but it’s a shame her father couldn’t join them today. Probably another day and hopefully, her mother is still home.

//

“So yeah, I have a few friends now, and I also met some bullies. I hate them, they’re ruining someone else’s life!”

“Oh dear, believe me, I know that feeling. But we shouldn’t hate them. Trust me, they have a reason. Sometimes, we just need to talk it out and things might be better baby.” Her words hit Yongsun hard. She never tried to see from their perspective. What if they’re dealing with abusive parents? Or worse.

“You’re right mom, maybe I should try and talk to them rather than cursing them.”

“That’s great. Anyway, how far have you got with this girl?” Yongsun chokes on her food and her eyes widened. She immediately grabs the glass of water and chugs it down before returning her attention to her mother.

“What do you mean?”

“So you didn’t realize it yet? Or are you just hiding it from me? I can tell you’re head over heels for this girl, Byulyi’s her name, right?”

“Yes, but we’re just friends. Nothing more-...okay maybe I like her, but I’m just not sure.” She really can’t hide things from her, huh?

“Aww my baby is growing up. Well, that girl better treat you right. I don’t want you to engage in a toxic relationship again.”

It must be Eric. Well, he is a bad influence for me.

“Wait...you’re okay with it?” Her mother gives her a confused look.

“Of course I am, why wouldn’t I? Love comes in many forms my dear child, and gender doesn’t matter as long as you’re happy.” Her mother gives her a warm smile. Yongsun was speechless but she returned her smile. It’s true though, she just didn’t expect her mother would be so open about it.

“Thank you mom, but I’m still unsure. I’m afraid it’s just me.” Suddenly her phone rings, startling her. She takes her phone and sees a message from Byulyi. Yongsun couldn’t hide her smile and her mother knew immediately.

“Speak of the devil, huh? Well, finish your food first, we’ll talk again tomorrow, okay?” Yongsun nodded and she got up, bringing the dishes to the dishwasher. She then went to her room and open her skype, anxiously waiting for Byul's call.

It’s already 8 o’clock. Did she forget?

Yongsun was getting impatient so the girl decided to call her first. It only rings once before Byul accepts the call. Her face appears on skype, allowing them to see each other.

“Oh hi! I didn’t expect you would call first.” Byul said in a cheerful tone. Seeing Byul smile made Yongsun almost have a heart attack. ‘She’s so cute damnit!’

“I thought you forgot, so I decided to call first.”

“What? No I didn’t. I texted you to make sure, but you didn’t reply.” Yongsun checked her phone and realized she forgot to hit the send button.

“Oh...how stupid of me. I did reply to your message, but I forgot to hit the send button.” Byul chuckles and starts making fun of her. Yongsun faces redden as she tries to return her jokes but fails anyway.

“Ckckck you leave me hanging there. Anyway, I’ve been wanting to ask you something, but can you promise me one thing before I say it?”

“What?”

“That we’ll stay friends after this.”

“Uh, okay. I promise. So?” She can see Byul nervousness as she herself started to feel nervous. Byul on the other hand, felt her palm sweating, she bit her lower lip and looked down.

Damn how do I say it to her?

“I, uhh, it’s…Kim Yongsun, do you want to be my girlfriend?” She said in a low voice. Yongsun is having a hard time hearing her.

“I’m sorry, what? I can’t hear you.”

“Seriously…” Byul looked at her in disbelievement. “I’m asking you on a date, okay.” She immediately hid her face with a pillow. Yongsun can feel the heat on her face too. She smiles looking at Byul, damn she’s so cute when she’s shy.

“Actually…” Byul peeks out from her pillow. “I like you too. I just wish I realized it sooner and actually, I wanted to ask you out too, but I’m scared. I don’t want to ruin our friendship, though it’s barely a year since we've known each other. I just felt safe around you Byul.” She keeps running but Byul doesn't mind. She felt so happy and wished she could hug Yongsun but she couldn't.

“I really wish I could hug you right now, but I guess I have to wait until tomorrow. Oh by the way, don’t tell Hyejin and Wheein. We’ll never hear the end of it.” Yongsun laughs, She can imagine it though, they would tease like there’s no tomorrow.

“So, girlfriends?”

“Yes.” Byul smiles warmly, making Yongsun’s heart skip a beat.

“I swear Byul one of these days, you’re going to give me a heart attack.”

“Well, at least you’ll die in my arms.” The both let out a laughter when suddenly

“Alright! I’m coming down! Sorry Yongsun, I guess we’ll have another talk tomorrow? My mom’s calling me.” Yongsun nodded and the both said their goodbyes before disconnecting.

“This is reality, right?” Yongsun felt so happy. She decided to tell her mother about it and she’s happy. She wanted to tell her father too but her mother decided it would be best if she talked to him instead. His father...isn’t as open-minded as her. She’s afraid he might take it badly. Yongsun nodded and let her mother return to her room and review some lesson before going to sleep.

 


What do you think will happen next? Good or bad ending? I can't wait myself XD