Best Friends?

You're My Sun

A/N: Italic means thoughts, bold means time or explaining something, and this chapter consist of mostly flashback, so enjoy.


Krystal sits down and anxiously waits for Byul to calm down because she’s afraid Byul might blow up at any moment. For a few minutes, they just stay there in silence.

“Here.” Junghwa handed them both a can of Milkis in case they got thistry. Byul took a sip and put down her drink. Junghwa decided to give them a little privacy and wear her headset since there’s no customer except Krystal.

“Byul, I, first, I want to apologize for everything. I really mean it, sorry.”

Byul didn’t reply, Krystal can only sigh. She has to tell the whole story if she wants to regain her trust. 

 

Flashback

 

2 weeks after Byul met Krystal

 

A girl approaches Krystal's desk and slams her hand on it.

“Hey hot stuff, how’s it going?” Sunmi said with an arrogant smile.

“Hi Sunmi. Pretty good actually. Do you need anything from me?” Sunmi grins, and she knows it’s not a good sign.

“Yes, actually. I wanted you to stay away from that girl.”

“Huh?”

“You know, that hamster-face kid sitting over there.” Sunmi pointed out Byul’s desk.

“What? Why-” Sunmi grabs Krystal’s collar violently and pulls her in. Their lips almost touched each other. Krystal was stunned at her sudden movement. Krystal opens , trying to protest, but the taller girl puts a finger on her lips.

“Just do it. I’m sure you don’t want to end up like that last girl who moved, what was her name again hmm...Seulgi, right?” Krystal stares in horror. She knew exactly what happened. She couldn’t help but remember how Sunmi ganged up on her and she couldn’t take it. The poor girl decided to move school since she couldn’t take it anymore. Just looking at her making Krystal terrified, she’ll never be able to live through it.

Sunmi pushed her back to her chair and left. Krystal sits still at her chair, stunned by the event.

What the heck…

//

She didn’t bother at first. She still hangs out with Byul and even paired up with her on some class assignment.

“Do this in a group of two and-” before the teacher finishes her sentences, Krystal already looks at Byul, signaling she wanted to do the assignment together. Byul replies with a smile and she already knows.

“Wait sir. I think it’s better if you just decide on the pairing.”

“And why is that, miss Sunmi?”

“Because I’m certain the two geniuses would pair up together and the rest of the class would flunk if you set the bar too high.” The two won’t have any problems though, all the students would do anything to pair up with the geniuses.

The teacher gave some thought to it and he decided to pair the students on his own. Byul got paired with Yeri and Krystal got paired with Sunmi. Sunmi sits next to her and she can see colors drained from her face. Sunmi only smirks, knowing her tactics success. Now, just a little bit more threat and she’ll be out of her way.

“Alright, let’s do this assignment, shall we, Ms.Jung?” Krystal nodded.

//

“Can we please focus on our assignment?”

“How about you listen to me a little, Ms.Jung?” Krystal is now trapped between the bookshelf and Sunmi. The taller girl clearly has another intention.

“I told you she’s my friend. I can’t just ignore her and you know that.”

“Yeah and I can’t just let you two like that. I know she likes you, but she’s mine.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

“How dumb can you be Krys? She’s clearly into you and I’m sure you know. You don’t want to break her heart so you pretend to be friendly with her and stay as a friend, keeping your distance from her. I’ll tell you my little secret. I like her, no, love her, and I don’t want to see your hands on my girl, so you better back off.” Krystal eyes widened and Sunmi scoff, realizing the trapped girl didn’t realize her crush feeling.

“I...I didn’t know that…”

“Great, now you know. Now back off, will you?” Sunmi then gets a great idea, she smirks. “Wait, why don’t you hang around my gang instead and bully her? She’ll hate you for sure, wouldn’t she?”

“No, I-” She was cut off by a slap on her cheek. She brought up a hand and touched her reddened cheek.

“You should stop pissing me off.” Her eyes darkened, she looked at Krystal like a helpless prey. “I don’t want to hear another word and I’m not asking. I mean it. I’ll make your life a living hell if you don’t stop.” Krystal only nodded and the tall girl finally backed up, letting the pinned girl free.

//

“Hi Krys, how’s your-”

“Don’t talk to me.” Krystal said coldly, clearly giving the hamster a cold shoulder.

“What? You’re on your period or something?”

“Just leave me alone, will you?”

“So, you-”

“I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!!!” The whole class fell silent and all eyes were on Byul and Krystal. Byul felt a bit awkward and apologized before heading back to her seat.

“Jeez what’s with her today?”

//

“Hey, uh, did I do something wrong?”

“No, but please stop bothering me.” Krystal got up from her seat and left the confused girl. Sunmi decided to use the opportunity to approach the girl.

“Are you two fighting?”

“I...don’t know. She's just angry, I guess?” Krystal just hid herself in the ladies room, feeling guilty from her action. Pushing Byul away felt a bit hurt, especially when she knew the girl had a crush on her. She just sighs, hoping the pain in her chest would go away.

//

“Krys-”

“I told you to leave me alone, didn’t I?”

“What did I do? Did I unconsciously offend you? Why are you pushing me away?”

“You...I hate you, and that’s it. Happy? Satisfied?” Before Byul could respond, Krystal walks away, leaving. Byul wanted to call out her name but she couldn’t. Her whole body felt hurt and felt dry. She just stood there and felt like her world crumbled.

What did I do? Why did she…

Tears uncontrollably escape her eyes. She immediately hides herself in the classroom, a good thing it’s empty since school’s over. She just cried on her desk, feeling sad from all the overflowing emotion. A sudden hand touched her back, making her jolt from the sudden contact.

“Did something happen?” Sunmi asks her with a gentle tone. She didn’t answer and just sobbed. Sunmi gave her some tissue and comforted the girl.

“Krystal hates me.” Sunmi smiled and comforted her, letting the girl cry on her shoulders.

//

2 weeks later

Sunmi’s been hanging out with Byul for a while and it wasn’t long until Sunmi decided to tell her feelings. Sunmi decided to invite her to her house and confess her feelings.

“Hey Byul”

“Hmm?”

“I like you.”

“I like you too.”

Ba-thump

“What?” Sunmi couldn’t believe her ears.

“I like you too. You’re a good person.” Owh, that kind of like.

“No silly. I mean, like, love.” Byul almost dropped her spoon on hearing her words.

“What?”

“I love you.” Sunmi couldn’t believe she finally said it but she played it with confidence, not showing any sign of weakness to her.

“I, uhh, I’m...sorry.” Byul couldn’t bring herself to look at the girl. She likes the girl, she’s kind, caring, but love isn’t the right word to describe her feelings.

Rejected, huh?

//

Things started to change. Sunmi started to become distant to the point where she trash-talked Byul. Krystal could barely believe what she heard and decided to confront the taller girl.

“Sunmi, I think you owe me some explanation.”

“Hmm, why?” Sunmi avoids eye contact not because of fear, just tired.

“Didn’t you like her? Why did you bad talk about her?”

“You don’t like it? Why don’t you go to her side now and accompany her, see if she still accepts you. If she did, I’ll be kicking your and hers too.”

“You’re planning on bullying her?!” Sunmi rolls her eyes.

“You know what, maybe you’re next. Hanging out with me is pretty bad, huh? You started to change to, in case you didn’t notice. You started gossiping about some students too, and I’m sure your parents would be delighted to hear you rank 2nd best in class.” Krystal grips Sunmi’s collar and pulls her close.

“Don’t bring my parents into this!”

“Then do as I say, and I won’t spill a thing to your parents.” Krystal pushed her and Sunmi fixed her collar. “That’s right. Just play along with me for a while, will you?”

//

“What the …” Byul was shocked to see her desk upside down and she could see some scribblings on it. ‘I hope you die’ was written in red marker, making her surprised. She looks around and sees Sunmi talking with Krystal but no evident proof. They could hide it but confronting them was something she wouldn’t do. It’s the same as walking into a lion’s den.

She just ignored the message and continued her lesson as if nothing had happened. During lunch, she would sit with Hyejin and Wheein to spend her lunch, but when she’s alone, she’s vulnerable. Sunmi and her friends would gang up on her and ruin her food and do anything to bother the girl to the point where Byul eats her lunch inside the bathroom.

//

“95?! This is such a stupid mistake! You needed to study more!” Krystal can only look down, afraid to look at her mad father. Her father scolded her endlessly. She already feels bad about it, so shouldn’t he stop?

“You should be ashamed of yourself! What about that girl? The first rank girl, learn from her! If she can do it, so can you!” She clenched her fist tighter and could feel the anger creeping up. That was the first time she felt anger build up inside her upon hearing Byul’s name.

But it didn’t stop there. Her grudges continue and it gets worse when she sees Byul. She just feels anger creep up everytime she sees her. The poor girl had become her victim and to be honest, Krystal enjoyed bullying her.

“Whoa you’re alone. Where’s your loser friend?” Eunha spat at Byul. Byul just ignored her words and continued eating her food. Krystal got a bit pissed off and spilled her juice on Byul’s rice. Byul eyes widened at her action and Sunmi grew a wide smirk, happy with what she’s doing. Krystal isn’t bullying Byul because of her anymore, but on her own free will.

“The Krys?” Byul got up and she’s clearly pissed, but Krystal grabbed her collar and pulled her close.

“You have the nerve to ignore us, loser.” Krystal said before pushing her back. Byul was shocked at her friend's sudden action. She wanted to fight back but she’ll probably lose, so she just decided to it up. The way Krystal looked at Byul changed, filled with anger and hatred at the same time.

“I, I’m sorry.” She looked away.

“Look at her. I think she’s afraid of you now Krys.”

“You shouldn’t waste your food, eat it up, will you?” The girls laugh it up, making fun of her. Byul clench her fist, but no, she’s not stupid enough to stand up for herself. It’ll be useless after all.

They’ve gotten more and more distant, but once in a while, Krystal would feel guilty for her actions and hope she can return to the day Sunmi threatens her, but this time she’ll stand up for herself and for her friend.

 

It’s killed or be killed after all

I’m sorry

If only I can return to that day

Will anything change?

 

Flashback ends

 

“I, I’m really sorry. I always regret my actions. I wanted to apologize but I’m just scared of being rejected. I truly apologize.” Krystal bowed to the girl.

“I, uh, it’s...actually fine, since I know the whole story now. It’s just, could you give me some time? I mean, I’m only human, I can’t just forget about everything you’ve ever done. I do forgive you, but I just needed some time on my own, you know.”

“It’s fine. I understand. Can I get your number? In case you wanted to talk or, you know, meet up. I wanted to redo everything, will you give me a chance?” Byul smiled and punched her shoulder lightly.

“Sure! I’ll be happy, but this time, don’t ignore me again, okay?”

“Yah! I won’t! We’ll be best friends again?”

“Yeah, best friends again.” Byul opens her arms and Krystal hugs her.

“Oh yeah, by the way, what’re you doing here?”

“My sister’s pet is sick, so I brought her here. Should be done anytime soon.” Byul looked at her mother and saw a cage next to her.

“Oh, you’re done? Here.” She handed the cage to Krystal and after paying, she waved goodbye and left.

“So, why are you here?”

“I was going to surprise you, but I guess I’m the one surprised.” Junghwa can only laugh at her.

“Well, I’m sure Tzuyu’s gonna be home soon, so let’s clean up the place and go home.”


Wew finally finished it. I think there's only a few chapters left, around 5 or 6. Hope you enjoy it and sorry for bad grammars XD Tell me your thoughts!