For the Best

You're My Sun

“Seems like someone’s in a good mood today. Wipe that idiotic smile off your face, will you?”

“I can’t help it, I just felt so energetic today!”

“And why is that?”

“I don’t know, just happy, I guess? Feels like some burden have been lifted off my shoulders.” Byul couldn’t help but feel excited. Before Yongsun could ask another question, the teacher came into the class, halting their conversation.

Nothing much happened, except Yongsun eyeing on an empty seat.

She’s absent for two days. Did something happen?

Yongsun sighs and decides to ask Byul about it later, maybe she knows something.

//

“Sunmi? She’s ill. I told you I’m visiting someone yesterday, right? I went to her place.” Hyejin slams the table in surprise.

“What the ?!”

“Hyej, language.” Wheein said calmly. Well, Wheein is shocked too, but decides to hear the older girl's explanation before assuming anything.

“Sorry, but you’re literally walking into a lion’s den! How could you?! What if we never see you again?” Well, drama queen at its best. Byul let out a small laugh looking at her younger friend's act.

“Nah, she’s not dangerous at all. In fact, she’s a good person. It’s just, a lot happened and she changed.” Yongsun stared in disbelief. The leader of the bullies is nice? It sounded too good to be true.

“You talk like you know her well.”

“I don’t want to judge her. I’m sure she has her own reason for bullying others, you know. I just hope she’ll recover soon.” Byul continued reading her book as her friends looked at each other, wondering what happened to her and Sunmi.

“I think Sunmi got her on her last visit.”

“Or maybe she’s using voodoo?”

“Yah! Cut that out! I’m still me, okay?” Wheein smiles and hugs the taller girl with a playful smile.

“Yeah yeah, now you two lovebirds go back to your class! We’re going too, okay?” And with that, Hyejin and Wheein left the cafeteria.

“Anyway, why don’t you stop smiling? I swear you look like an idiot.”

“Hey, let me enjoy my peace, okay?” She said as she checked her phone and smiled. Yongsun just stared at her in confusion. She immediately snatches Byul’s phone out of her hand.

“Yah! Give it back!” Yongsun didn’t have any intention to return it. “Come on, what’s wrong?” Yongsun pouts.

“Cause you’re smiling like an idiot when you’re looking at your phone, it’s kinda annoying.”

“...what? Oh I see, you’re jealous, aren’t you?” She gave a playful smirk towards Yongsun and she blushed hard.

“NO! I’m not jealous! Who are you texting anyway?”

“It’s Krystal.”

“What?”

“Krystal, Jung Krystal, Krystal Jung, well, whatever you call her.”

“Why are you texting her?”

“Well, we made up. Yesterday, I met her at my mom’s clinic and she told me everything. She apologized and we made up. We’re texting to mend our bonds, well at least, that’s what I think. Anyway, she promised she’ll stand up for me if Sunmi and her gang ever tried to bully me. I just hope Sunmi would stop though, maybe I can talk to her about it.”

“Maybe.” Yongsun lifted her shoulders, hoping things would go as it should be.

//

“Aigo, she’s back.” Yongsun said to herself but not loud enough for anyone to hear. Byul is also a bit scared but she notices she’s a bit quiet, it intrigued her. Usually, she would gossip, but she’s quiet today. Way too quiet. Byul notices Krystal approaching her and they start talking. She notices the worried look on Krystal’s face as she continues talking with Sunmi. Byul was so focused looking at Krystal’s face she didn’t notice Sunmi’s friend come to her class and they left, probably heading to the canteen.

“Byul, I’m gonna buy a drink, you want something?”

“I’m craving for sweets, mind getting me some?”

“How about my love? It’s sweet too.” Byul raised an eyebrow at her words. Yongsun gives her a playful smirk before leaving the girl dumbfounded by her words.

“Guess my greasiness is infectious.” She raised her shoulders. She then took a paper and started writing something. When she’s done, she gets up and heads to Sunmi’s seat. She folded the paper neatly and put it inside her pencil case before returning to her seat.

She sits and plays with her phone, watching some pranks videos until Yongsun calls her.

“Yah! Here.” She put a chocolate bar on her desk. “I got this for you.”

“Thanks babe.” She planted a kiss on her cheek, making Yongsun blush furiously.

“Yah! Not in class!” Yongsun slapped her shoulder and Byul laughed it off before returning to her serious mode.

“Anyway, I have some things to do after school, what about you?”

“I have some club activities after school. Just text me when you’re done, maybe we can walk home together?”

“I’ll be sure to notify you babe, but no promises.”

“Alright.” This time, Byul’s face turns red because of Yongsun’s boldness. Byul can only look away, trying to hide her embarrassment.

//

Sunmi who’s just returned from the cafeteria just returned to her seat. She just stayed like that, no bad words, even when she was with her friend, she only sat and listened to her friends, not bothering to speak at all.

“Sunmi, you’re okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just a little tired. I’m still recovering after all.” Her words convince her friends, but not Krystal. She realizes if Sunmi’s not acting like the top dog, something must be bothering her, but she knows this isn’t the right time to talk about it.

“Can we talk? After school?” Krystal whispered to the girl and she nodded as she continued gazing at the scenery. She sighs as she opens her pencil case and sees a small paper inside. She then opened it and let out a little smile before putting the paper in her pocket and taking a pen to write.

//

The students slowly leave the room as school ends. No one stays because most students have club activities, except for three girls who’re taking their time packing their bags. They’re doing a great job of being a sloth, but once no one is there, they stop.

“So, you two notice, huh?” Sunmi stated, letting out a weak laugh.

“Our top dog does nothing but stare at the scenery? Of course I notice. What happened?” Krystal immediately gets to the point, as she hopes Sunmi would open up about her problem.

“It’s...I’m moving.” Their eyes widen as they stare in disbelief.

“What?”

“I’m moving. My parents...told me to move to a better school. I...but I don’t want to…” Her voice cracked as she couldn’t hold back her tears anymore. She avoids their gaze, refusing to show them her weak side. “They said it’s for the best.”

For the best? That’s sickening. Byul thought as she had exactly planned something they wouldn’t believe she would do.

Krystal looked at Byul, hoping the girl could say something to comfort the crying girl but Krystal saw something she didn’t expect.

Anger? No, furious would be the word she’s looking for.

Krystal never expected to see this side of Byul. Well, she would faint if she knew what the lass had planned.

//

“MOONBYUL WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! YOU CAN’T DO THAT!”

“I CAN! I CAN’T JUST WATCH MY FRIEND LEFT LIKE THAT!”

“THAT’S NOT THE PROBLEM!” Byul can hear a sigh escape Yongsun’s lips from the other end. “You don’t even know if her parents are home, and what kind of power do you have? Nothing? That’s right, nothing. You’re just a friend, they’re her family. Who do you think she would listen to?”

“Yeba, you’re not making any sense, you know that, right?” Byul said, silencing the girl from the other side of the call.

“Unnie you’re not serious.”

“I’m damn serious Wheein, I can’t...I don’t want to stand on the side and do nothing.” Byul's tone was damn serious and Wheein scoff, hoping her unnie would change her mind.

“Unnie, if you’re serious, then you surely must have a plan, right?” There’s an awkward silence in the air as Byul realizes she didn’t have any plan besides storming into her friend's house and making a ruckus there.

“Byul-ah, can I at least come with you?” worried was evident in her tone.

“I, um, not sure, why would you come anyway? We both knew we’re just gonna get yelled at by her parents, so I think it’s best if I go alone. Don’t worry, I’ll talk to Sunmi beforehand, and I promise I’ll tell you everything, okay?”

“Yah unnie, isn’t there any other way?” Byul can imagine Wheein showing her cute puppy eyes but Byul’s unfazed by it.

“Nah, let me do this, okay?”

“Fine, just come back to us safely, okay? I’m going to sleep.” Hyejin said before hanging up.

“Alright, me too! See you unnies!” Wheein too hung up, for it’s already late.

“I think I’m going to sleep too. Night Yongsun.”

“Hmm. Night baby, love you.”

“Love you too.” Byul said as she hung up. She decided to ask Krystal for Sunmi’s number and the girl gladly gave it to her. She then decided to call the girl.

No response, Is she already asleep?

Byul shrugged it off as she went to sleep.

//

“Alright here I am. This is kinda stupid to be honest.” She said to herself as she arrived at the front gate of Sunmi’s house. The guard noticed her and let her in after calling Sunmi, though on the other end, the guard noticed that she wasn’t expecting a company. Despite that, Sunmi told him to let her in, so he did.

Deep breath, deep breath. She thought as she inhaled deeply.

“Hi Sunmi! It’s-”

“What are you doing here?”

“Uh, a little chat I guess? Just wondering if we can have a little chat, you know.”

“I don’t need your pity. If you don’t have anything else to do, please leave.” Byul knows she’s just saying that to hide her sadness. She looks a bit miserable with her puffy eyes and red nose. It’s clear she was crying before Byul arrived.

“Sigh, Sunmi, is your parents home?”

“Well, my mother is home, why?”

“Perfect. Can I talk to her?”

“...You’re not going to-”

“Yes.”

“...” Sunmi got up from her place and headed upstairs. Byul just sits there, sipping the glass of water Sunmi hands her before they start talking.

//

“She wanted to speak with me? On what occasion, my dear?”

“I don’t know.”

“Lies!” Sunmi startled. Her mother stood up, facing away from her dresser. “Well, she’s here, so why not listen to what she has to say.”

“O-okay.” She couldn’t believe it but it’s already done. Now, she’s just waiting for the result.

//

“Hello Ms.Lee. I’m Sunmi’s friend, Moonbyul.” Byul bowed her head, showing respect to the older woman.

“Hello, Moonbyul.” Ms.Lee said as she took a seat. Sunmi nervously sits next to Moonbyul, making her mother raise an eyebrow at her action. “So, what do you want to talk about, Ms.Moon?”

“It’s uh, I’m sorry for saying this, but, I think you need to rethink your decision about transferring Sunmi to another school.”

“Ridiculous! Who are you to tell me that?”

It’s okay, it’s okay. You can do this. Calm yourself down. She chants to herself. She glances at Sunmi who’s currently staring at the floor with shaking hands.

“I’m just saying you should really reconsider it. Have you ever asked her about her decision? What she wanted? What if she’s happy here? Doesn’t her happiness come first?”

“Huh? Listen here. I’m her parents, her mother. I know what’s best for her. You’re just a friend of hers, how do I know you’re not a bad influence for her?”

“I...You’re right, I can’t prove to you that I’m not a bad influence, but it’s foolish to think that parents know what’s best for her child. You have to let her decide on her own.”

“That’s enough!” Ms.Lee raises her voice as she stands in front of Byul, intimidating her with her gaze. Byul trembled at the sight but tried to stay strong. “I will have to ask you to leave now.”

Byul got up and bowed.

“Please consider my words.” She said before leaving the place.

“How insolent. Sunmi!” Sunmi looks at her mother. “Is she a friend of yours? Why did you make friends with such an insolent girl like her?”

Sunmi didn’t answer as she just stared at the floor again, fear of her mother’s gaze.

“Go to your room now. I will speak with your father about this.”


Her mother is sickening, right?

Anyway, thoughts? And don't forget to subs and upvote if you enjoy it :p