Watch Me Leave

Pretty Little Eyes (that I hate)

 

Part Twenty


“Key, he didn’t mean it,” Jonghyun was quick to explain, but it didn’t seem to matter to Key because he kept walking away, not even waiting for me.

He was rushing so fast that he didn’t manage to see the woman walking in front of him, and instead bumped into her. That seemed to be enough to take him out of his trance, because finally he spoke, apologizing and helping pick up the other’s papers.

Jonghyun was right there by his side instantly, pushing Key away, so that he could help instead.

I wanted to help too, but everything seemed to happen in front of me, like a movie. I was right here too, so why did it feel so surreal? I was still too shocked by the way Taemin was acting, too shocked by what was going all around me, and it seemed like there was nothing I could do to change anything. Not Key, not Jonghyun, and definitely not Taemin.

I didn’t even know what I was doing here anymore. Surely not to cheer on my ex-best friend, not to support the brat Taemin has become, and looking at Key and Jonghyun I realize, I shouldn’t be the one next to Key helping either.

I wanted to be by Taemin’s side, that’s all I wanted, but thinking of the guy back in the dressing room, that’s not him. Taemin wouldn’t say something like that to Key, Taemin wouldn’t be such a brat. So why was he being like this now? Had I been gone so long that I didn’t know who Taemin had turned into?

“Kim Kibum?” As soon as the woman had all her papers at her hands, she managed to take a look at Key’s face, and seemed to recognize him.

“Yes?”

The woman only gave a sarcastic laugh, and if I remember that annoyed and judging face correctly, I’ve met her before… when Tae and I had been fighting in my car.

“Who gave you that pass? Why did you come here? Do you think that by observing our performers you’d get some kind of intel?” Just as before her voice was disgustingly judgy, and that seemed to shock both Jonghyun and Key for neither responded, not quick enough for me, anyways, so I took this as my sign to stop just watching things happen from the sideline.

“What does that matter to you?” I know I was just another high school senior, and to be honest I was about the cheesiest guy out there, but I could put up quite a convincing front.

“Excuse me?”

“I’m asking who the hell are you to talk to him like that! He’s way too good to get talked to like that, and I won’t allow it either.”

“So, he came and brought his little manager too? What is it that you guys want? Any type of information you’re trying to get you won’t be able to do so here, so better leave now. Give me those passes, I want you out.” She was firm with her voice, and although the hand she stuck out in expectancy of the passes was skinny and frail, there was no mistaking the sharp movements. She really wanted us out of here. But why? What had Key done, they’re the ones that rejected him.

“Why do you keep accusing them, they just came to be supportive. I think you need to calm down.” Jonghyun spoke up, trying to push Key behind him, but as expected, Key wasn’t one to hide behind anyone, he stood his ground, with his head held high, and I admired him for that.

“Supportive? I highly doubt it. If he really wanted to be supportive, he would have accepted our offer. Now give me those passes. I won’t let competition walk around here so freely,”

Reject?

“What? Do you want to gloat about it now? Did you even actually ever consider entering this company? The phone number, address, and email were all fake. You just came to make fun of our company, and I won’t let it happen again. So I insist, give me those passes and leave before I get guards to kick you out.”

“Noona,” Suddenly all of our attention was turned to Taemin who had spoken up timidly. “What's going on here?”

“We were just getting kicked out.” It was clear the question was meant for the woman, but I couldn’t help but answer with sarcasm to Taemin. We were getting kicked out, what was he going to do about it?

Please…. just say something, anything… let me know that you’re still the Taemin I know.

“What?”

“She’s kicking me and Key out. So, we're leaving. Come on, Key let’s leave.” I continue, grabbing Key by his wrist, and making a move to pass the remaining trio.

Stop us Tae, just say something. Show me you care.

“Wait! You can't just tell them to leave because you don’t like them. If you do something like that I won't stand and work for someone like that, I'll leave with them too,” Jonghyun spoke up, grabbing Key’s arm away from me. Why couldn’t that be Taemin speaking...

“You really just have everyone wrapped around your finger, don't you?”

“Jjong, stay, this is still a pretty good opportunity for you. I understand the sentiment so it's okay.” Of course, Key would say something like that. I wanted to say something like that too, I’d never let Taemin throw away his career, but… he doesn’t even care, does he?

He’s just standing there, with wide eyes, not doing anything.

“Key, I’m not going to prioritize this over you. I'm leaving if you get kicked out. That's final.”

That.

That hurts.

What would it take for Taemin to feel like that towards me?

Jonghyun and Key aren’t even together, and yet Jonghyun has his priorities straight, and Key is at top. Always. Even when he kissed Taemin, I’m starting to understand that for him, unlike Taemin, he always had Key in mind. I am more certain than anything that he did that thinking of how it would affect Key. Even if it fails, even if it's absurd, but the point is he's always doing it for Key.

Taemin has never prioritized me over his career and we’re just in high school. We’re just kids.

How will it be when we’re older? When things start to matter even more?

Will I ever be Lee Taemin’s priority?

Taemin?” I speak up and he looks at me shocked. This is me trying my hardest to give you a sing Tae, please, say something. “What will you do?”

“Huh?”

“If we get kicked out right now, are you leaving or staying?”

“H-hyung…” And just by the weak voice, and lowering gaze, I knew the answer, he didn’t have to say anything. I knew it. I knew it well now.

“Stop it, Minho. You're being a jerk. I understand you need him to say yes, but you need to understand he needs you to not even ask in the first place.” It was Key that snapped me out of staring Taemin down. And his words hit hard.

Key didn’t have to ask Jonghyun, he just did it. And Key rejected it without a second thought. They were both so much better off.

He was right but what kind of ed up thing was that? We each needed a different outcome to be happy. That means… that together we probably can't be happy, right?

“Let’s just go, Key.” I finally let my gaze leave Taemin, accepting the fact that I shouldn’t be expecting anything from him.

“Jonghyun, for me, go up there and do great. I don’t ever want to see your face again if you don’t perform up there tonight.” Key’s voice was plenty firm, and the peck to Jonghyun’s cheek only further showed that he was choosing this for him.

And just like that we were leaving.


A/N:

I’m sooooo freaking sorry this is so short and its so late but I’ve been so busy with work and school…. I also just want to hurry up and get to the next part in this story but I gotta still write what happens before soooo… yeah I guess here this …

Please let me know what you think huhuhu