Summer Firework

Heart to Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
seulyi: you sure you want us to come? Maerin: we can make sudden last minute plans xD janghm: lol no need janghm: myungsoo and taemin are coming too seulyi: oh! In thay case, i’m in Maerin: me too! janghm: we’re meeting up at 7 PM by the bridge   Hyunmi reread the chat with her friends, wondering where they were after she had given them the time and location of their meeting spot. They wouldn’t bail out just so she’d be alone with Woohyun, would they? That was something she’d do for them, but her friends wouldn’t be that sly.   “Hyunmi!”    She turned to the source of the voice, knowing full well it didn’t belong to either Seulyi or Maerin. Instead, she was greeted by the sight of Hime wearing a beautiful peach colored yukata. Her hair was tied in a low bun with a golden ornament of a small crown tucking her bangs sideways.   Compared to her, it seemed Hyunmi was way too underdressed for the occasion. Had it only been her and Woohyun, she would’ve put in more effort, but knowing the others would come, she opted for a white tanktop and short pants. Maybe she should go home and change, but that would seem weirder now that Hime was here.   “You look pretty,” was the first thing Hyunmi managed to say, smiling when Hime did a twirl for her. “I didn’t know there was a dresscode.”   “There isn’t, but Miyu and I always wear a yukata when we watch the fireworks during Summer in Japan,” Hime explained, pointing to the crowd behind her. Sure enough, they spotted Miyu in a bright yukata, playing around with Sungyeol at a nearby food stall.   “I see,” was all Hyunmi managed to say. A part of her wondered how Hime had the courage to show up after what had happened with Woohyun. Though the hug seemed to imply they cleared everything on good terms, Hyunmi didn’t think she’d be able to face Woohyun if she ever got rejected.   On that note, this was the perfect chance to finally tell Hime the truth. Not that she owed her any explanation, but Hyunmi felt bad for having these feelings when she had insisted on Woohyun being just a friend before. So much had changed within a few months.   “Hime, there is something I need to tell you…”   The girl gasped and elegantly clasped her long fingers before her red painted lips. “Are you and Woohyun finally dating?”   “What? N-No…”   “Aw, I thought one of you finally confessed.” She pouted in genuine disappointment, as if she hadn’t been rejected at all.   “W-Why would you think that?”   “Cause Woohyun said he had someone he liked.”   “Oh…” Hyunmi began fiddling with the end of her tanktop, curling the fabric between her fingers. “And… And you thought it was me?”   “Who else could it be?” Hime’s smile widened. “I have always known it and was taking my chances when confessing. I even told him to hurry up and confess to you before you’d grow tired of waiting and lost your feelings for him.”   “My feelings for…him?” Hyunmi felt her cheeks redden, unable to complete the sentence due to her embarrassment.    “Yes, I mean, it’s true, right? You do like him, right?” Hime asked, the excitement gushing through her voice. She was practically all in Hyunmi’s face, crossing the boundary of personal space.   This was it. This was what Hyunmi meant to tell her, but admitting to it was more difficult than expected. In the end, she settled on a bashful nod and added a quick “I’m sorry.”   “What are you sorry for? Hearing you admit this makes me happy. I want you to end up together,” Hime said, smiling brightly. There was no single hint of deception in her tone. She had always expressed her interest in Woohyun, but never shied away from showing support for Hyunmi as well.   Hyunmi was about to start a whole apology when from the corner of her eyes, she saw the boys approaching, including Woohyun dressed in a casual top, striped shorts, a thin cardigan, and a cap that pushed his hair to seem messier than usual. He did not look any different than he normally would, and yet her heart was welcoming his entrance in new ways. She couldn’t look away—didn’t want to even if she could.    “You can’t blame us for being late when we went out to buy you guys some ice cream,” Kibum immediately declared before anyone said anything. Usually it was Hyunmi who would complain, but she was too preoccupied with other thoughts.   “Oh! You got mint!” Maerin yelled, digging into the plastic bag Woohyun was holding.   Hyunmi jumped at the voice, not noticing the others. When did they arrive? Did her conversation with Hime overtake her ability to take in her surroundings?    “For you.”   Her thoughts were interrupted when a green tea flavored ice cream appeared in her vision. Of course Woohyun knew her preferences. Of course he had to personally hand her hers. Of course he melted her through that simple gesture.   “T-Thanks,” she said, unable to look up. How could she when she had practically confessed to him the last time they met? He never chatted or called her afterwards, which proved she had pulled the wrong move. She wished she could take it back.    “What were you talking about with Hime earlier?” he asked, casually putting a bright red popsicle in his mouth.   “Nothing important,” she stuttered, an awfully terrible attempt at lying. Woohyun was never going to believe it. She hated that she couldn’t give him a witty reply or in the way she normally would. Every word was filtered through her mind with possible consequences. She couldn’t make the same mistake again.   “Anyway, about the firework legend,” Woohyun began, noticing Hyunmi quickly turning to him as if he had said something scandalous. “I told the others about it and it seems they’re all planning to watch it in pairs. I think we should let them.”   “Really?”    She glanced at her friends, realizing they had all secretly been staring from a distance. No one bothered to look away or hide the fact they were watching—Maerin and Kibum even gave her a thumbs up. And that was when Hyunmi knew. Everyone wanting to pair up was just an excuse to get her and Woohyun alone. Well, maybe it wasn’t entirely an excuse since Seulyi, Myungsoo, Maerin, and Taemin wouldn’t mind pairing up either.   “What about those without pairs?” She tried asking. “Like Kibum and Sungjong.”   “Meh, they have each other.” Woohyun shrugged.   The underlying implication did not get lost. When Woohyun was dating someone during these outings, Hyunmi was usually the one getting stuck with Kibum. This time, however, he didn’t mention any of that, almost as if he had expected her to be a part of a pair.   “What about me?” She asked as casual as possible, pressing her lips in the hope her nervousness wouldn’t show.   “You?” He asked as if the answer should’ve been obvious. “You’re going with me, of course.”   Hyunmi in her breath, not expecting him to say it so upfront. He even added a grin which she realized she couldn’t resist. It was the kind that she’d replay over and over again in her mind, hopelessly keeping her awake at night and distracting her during the day. It was too much for her to handle.   “Unless you don’t want to,” Woohyun trailed off, oddly hesitant.   “No, I’d love to!”    She realized a second too late she sounded a beat too eager, possibly giving away her feelings for him once again. But at the sight of Woohyun’s lips tugging upwards in relief, as if he had feared her rejection, felt like she said the right thing after all. It reminded her of her friends’ words. What if he really like her?   “I… I’m going to buy a drink!” Hyunmi declared, desperate to get away for a moment and compose herself. Her face was probably as red as the popsicle in Woohyun’s hand.   “I’
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter